Photo

Playing GTA IV realistically?

97 replies to this topic
lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've never played the game any other way. I literally walked everywhere I went unless I needed to run, on foot of course. It really adds to the immersion when you walk from your car and into a mission marker, try it you'll see. I never went on the notorious "GTA Rampage" because it seemed pointless to me. Why would I want to have a massive shootout with police if I could avoid it? Nothing good ever came of it.

I once tried to drive "normal" by stopping at red lights and whatnot but the a.i. cars reacted like I was in the way since the game is not programmed to be played like that. When it came to weapons, I usually tried to have no more than 3 on Niko at anytime but this is too difficult since he automatically acquires weapons when walking into them, and it's overruled by the fact he pulls them out of thin air anyway. I usually changed Niko's clothes and tried to eat something every few days or so, once again to add to the immersion. Some things I didn't mind like stealing cars when I needed them or street fighting from time to time. It's alot of trouble to play realistically but it makes the game alot better. 

I do caution you that if you take this approach, it will take longer to complete the game and you'll have to limit the time you play with frequent breaks. Inevitably, your mind will get bored if you aren't doing something super stimulating and that might lead to you doing a few crazy things, it did for me.

Also, any deaths I may have occurred during gameplay I always just pretended never happened. It is too much trouble to completely reset the game because of one death. I also noticed people on this forum telling you not to steal cars because it would be unrealistic but Niko is a criminal so it's completely realistic. Stealing a car from time to time is okay, just don't go from car to car taking them.   

WOW. This is EXACTLY how I play! I like your thinking :)

• American Alpha likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you guys want to enhance doing taxi missions try doing them without the radar/HUD and turn on the GPS speech for all cars do you can get it in Roman's taxi.

I done a few like that and it made doing them feel far more realistic. It's quite accurate too if you follow what it says. Such a cool detail unsurprisingly isn't included in GTA V.
  • thekillerdonuts likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you guys want to enhance doing taxi missions try doing them without the radar/HUD and turn on the GPS speech for all cars do you can get it in Roman's taxi.

I done a few like that and it made doing them feel far more realistic. It's quite accurate too if you follow what it says. Such a cool detail unsurprisingly isn't included in GTA V.

Agreed. Having a voiced GPS is much better than that too small arrow in the map portion of the HUD.

Chers.
  • Miamivicecity likes this

Ducard
  • Ducard

Viva la Vida!

• Members
  • India

Posted A week ago Edited by Ducard, A week ago.

so I finally got all the realism mods I wanted for GTA IV.

the mods I have currently installed are:

prison break mod (when you get arrested, you spawn inside the Alderney Prison and can apply for bail and stuff, only happens if you unlocked Alderney though)

weapon weight (no more "magic" pockets, Niko carries a bag for his weapons ex: if you carry an RPG, you can carry only an RPG)

bank account (makes the atm's usable)

realistic fuel mod (adds a fuel meter to cars and allows you to use the gas stations around LC)

arrest warrant (cops are a lot more smarter, if they identify you during a chase and you escape, they'll be able to recognize you again and  there's a lot more cool things too)

wanted vehicle (if you escape from the cops, they will note down your license plate and will recognize it if you drive past them, you can change the plates using pray and spray)

realistic weapon damage and magazine (self-explanatory)

less overtaking (no more dumb AI)

realism ped and traffic mini mod (realistic peds and traffic density, at night you can barely see any peds at all)

drive felony (peds/cops will spot your drive felonies, like ignoring the signal and stuff)

crash injury (everytime you crash, you will lose health and sometimes, Niko will fall unconscious for a few seconds. 

bleed heal (Less lethal wounds will heal over time while others will have an effect on Niko's walking style and stuff)

so, it looks as though I am ready for my realistic playthrough. I'll be turning off the HUD and Radar of course.

about stealing cars: I don't plan on doing that on the first half of the game but I think I'll start doing it after Niko executes Vlad. Even then I will only rob cars from car parks or side walks. And the other usual things like eating, sleeping regularly etc.

should be fun.

• Miamivicecity and EM_JAY_86 like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted A week ago

This makes no sense. Look at it this way; the 90% of the game (from missions, story and gameplay) is totaly unrealistic so why strugling to play "realistic" and taking all the fun out of game at all?

It feels ridicolous to driving with radar off and obey the traffic regulations and pretending it`s just like in real life, when you need to do a mission where you take down 50 cops and SWAT team members by yourself?

Or killing a whole warehouse full of Russian gangsters while you`re almost untouchable?

I don`t know, play what you like but you wont make it any more realistical if you play it this way, all you will do is having less fun.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted A week ago

This makes no sense. Look at it this way; the 90% of the game (from missions, story and gameplay) is totaly unrealistic so why strugling to play "realistic" and taking all the fun out of game at all?

It feels ridicolous to driving with radar off and obey the traffic regulations and pretending it`s just like in real life, when you need to do a mission where you take down 50 cops and SWAT team members by yourself?

Or killing a whole warehouse full of Russian gangsters while you`re almost untouchable?

I don`t know, play what you like but you wont make it any more realistical if you play it this way, all you will do is having less fun.

I don't agree it makes it less fun. I'm not playing it exactly like real life, but I've noticed since turning off the radar/HUD it makes me a lot more observant of my surroundings. It was cool losing my first wanted level without looking at the radar. I haven't bothered following road rules and what not, but to me this simple approach actually makes it more fun. 

• lilchris131 likes this

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I'm also trying to play as realistic as i can. I rarely steal stuff, and i often call for taxi to drive me from place to place. . I keep the cars i get and try not to lose or destroy them. And so far i carry only few weapons and always use the body armor and i'm taking cover in gunfights. 

I rarely stop on red lights but i'm trying my best to avoid other cars and people. 

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low-rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

You can play realistically without behaving like proper NPC. Obey traffic laws etc. but you're a criminal, so you should act like one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users