Photo

Playing GTA IV realistically?

101 replies to this topic
uncredited
  • uncredited

Midnight Marauder

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:56 PM Edited by uncredited, 20 July 2014 - 05:57 PM.

You can use a mod that somehow fixes this NPC behavior. I usually do not use any mod, apart from those who correct some issues, such as the Rotterdam Tower, or the Pad buttons, etc. it is worth it.

EM_JAY_86
  • EM_JAY_86

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Ride the subway, save cars outside your safehouse, steal as little cars as possible, never kill pedestrians, the list goes on forever, man.

I do that by default, on every playthrough. Maybe I'm just to mature to run around mowing people over. To me, it's just an immersion breaker. Niko would never run a man over in a car and just drive away like nothing happened.

Keep ammo for guns low. Realistically, Niko should only be carrying 4-5 mags for each gun at a time. During firefights, reply on picking up weapons. Imagine it as Niko refilling his ammo from the ammo of the deceased.

I only use heavy weapons in a mission that involves driving or the use of a vehicle. I write it in as "Niko had the AK47 in his car"

Only use weapons that you would realistically have in a situation. Don't use "magic pockets" in their literal sense. When Playboy ambushes you in "the holland play" do the entire mission with a pistol or a MAC-10 that was in Niko's jacket. Don't pull out an M4.

For missions like "hostile negotiation" I storm the place with an M4 because I drove there and walked with my M4 straight to the firefight.

Missions where there is an execution cutscene I'm gonna play the whole mission with a pistol, feels weird to switch from an Rocket Launcher to a pistol just to shoot somebody in face, also if I start a mission with a shotgun I'm gonna use that for the whole mission.

If the mission has an execution scene, I start off using the mac or the small shotgun, that nico could have in his jacket. But only have enough rounds in it, that I have to use the pistol by the time I get to the main target.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Well for 1, because it is based on New York you should use more cabs, try to walk to near by places more often, sleep more often (Save the game more often, in other words) and obviously, try not to kill innocent pedestrians. As for niko, try to wear the same clothing at more times.

Sometimes, you should do about 2 to 4 missions in a row, and then stop doing missions. This would put it more realistic for Niko, so he can sleep and get some rest before doing more work. Also, try to do some more activites with friends. If you don't want to, visit Burger Shot/cluckin' Bell or any other reasturant and food stands so you can get some more 'energy'. 

I know alot of these are pointless, but it is fun to do if you want to play it in a realistic way. 

Mayochiki
  • Mayochiki

︻デ═一

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Using only a pistol makes the game much better...

• fefenc likes this

Robaldinio
  • Robaldinio

Stay DeClasse

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

... sleep more often (Save the game more often, in other words) and obviously, try not to kill innocent pedestrians. As for niko, try to wear the same clothing at more times.

Sometimes, you should do about 2 to 4 missions in a row, and then stop doing missions. This would put it more realistic for Niko, so he can sleep and get some rest before doing more work. Also, try to do some more activites with friends. If you don't want to, visit Burger Shot/cluckin' Bell or any other reasturant and food stands so you can get some more 'energy'. 

I know alot of these are pointless, but it is fun to do if you want to play it in a realistic way. 

Ah yes, I did these things too. I would try to go to bed at night and wake up in the morning. I would also hang out with my friends as much as possible when they called.

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

I haven't played Xbox in so long, I'm gonna start this up where I left off.

Jasewolf
  • Jasewolf

Bus Enthusiast

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Even though the game is based off of New York, I pretty much like treating Liberty City as like it's own city etc and treat it as the size it is. I therefore use real time duration so that it doesn't take hours to get from broker to Algonquin. Looking at the distance and how long it takes you, that I call a realistic time and driving the speed limit it'd take pretty much at least half an hour to get to and from parts of the city (such as Bohan to Fishmarket).

I've created a number of bus routes. 2 take 25mins in one direction, another takes 30 mins (gotta change the timetable from 40 as it certainly takes far less than that time). The other two I've created so far take on about 1 hour 30-40 minutes (adding in Clockwork Mount map as I also use that for the journeys which are based off of rural routes around where I live).

Based on how the speed limits work here in the UK, I've come up with speed limits for all the different roads in each different area of Liberty City.

Broker/Dukes:

- Broker/Dukes Expressway, Algonquin/Dukes Expressway and the freeway going to and across Broker Bridge would be 40mph but would drop to 30mph at the airport.

- Dukes Boulevard would be 30mph.

- The road from Dukes Boulevard going to Bohan over Charge Island would be 30mph because of how busy it is and would go down to 20mph at the toll.

- All the side roads around the houses just off Harrison St would be 20mph.

- The lanes going through Meadows Park would be 10mph because all the pedestrians.

- The roads going through Willis would be 20mph because that's quite busy due to all the shops.

- Shinnecock Avenue would be 10mph because it is a housing estate

- All the other single carriageway roads that I haven't highlighted above would be 30mph.

Bohan:

- Grand Boulevard and Northern Expressway would be 40mph.

- Butterfly and Uprock Street would 10mph because there is many parked cars along there and the road is again right by a park.

- Folsom Way would be 30mph.

- The rest the roads would be 20mph because pretty much everywhere are very short roads with lots of cars parked around the place and especially in South Bohan, there is huge traffic build ups.

- The second bridge in and out of Bohan on Sing Sing Avenue would be 30mph but drops to 20mph at the toll.

Algonquin:

- All the single carriageway roads in Algonquin would be 20mph.

- The wider roads in Central Algonquin would be 30 except Star Junction which would certainly be 20mph.

- Middle Park (the road going through it) would be 10mph.

- Union Drive East/West would be 40mph.

- Colony Island would be 10mph

- Grummer Road and Walnut Way would be 30mph because they are a lot less busy than the rest of the city centre and are a lot less built up.

- The Booth Tunnel linking to Alderney would be 20mph because it is very busy and tight.

Alderney:

- Plumbers Skyway is the most major freeway in the whole state. It isn't majorly urban enough to be any lower than 50mph. Therefore I'd say it would be 50mph.

- All the roads around Alderney would pretty much be 30mph though in the industrial maybe 40mph because it is a lot less built up and a lot less traffic.

That's basically how I treat GTA IV as realistically. It'll be different for others because just like me I'm treating realism as how it'd work where I live so others would treat like how it'd work where they live.
  • Mr_Leone likes this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:02 PM Edited by ddyoung, 16 August 2014 - 04:02 PM.

Stuff

Well the speed limit unless stated otherwise is 30 MPH in NYC. but its not unusually to see people going 50 when they can

Jasewolf
  • Jasewolf

Bus Enthusiast

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:42 PM Edited by Jasewolf, 16 August 2014 - 04:45 PM.

Stuff

Well the speed limit unless stated otherwise is 30 MPH in NYC. but its not unusually to see people going 50 when they can
I did those speed limits after how it works in the UK. Like I said I'm not playing it as so it's NY. But I'd say that even I was, the only difference I'd make to the limits is change everything that's above 30 down to 30. Every road I've said that is below that would be the speed I said, at least, that's how I see it as I can't imagine driving through central park going any faster than 10mph (assuming that it's like the road going through middle park) because it's going straight through a public park which certainly would be 10mph here in UK.

This is pretty much how the limits work in the UK so you can have a better understanding why I've chosen limits for each road..

- Motorways (major Freeways) are 70mph.

- Cross country dual carriageways tend to be 60mph (these are 2 or more lanes each way).

- Cross country single carriageways tend to be 50mph (single file traffic each way) but will often drop down to 30/40 when going through villages and will also drop down when the roads become windy).

- Urban dual carriageways are 30 in the heart of town/cities (sometimes may be 20 instead) or 40 if it's less built up but still urban.

- Urban single carriageways will very often be 30 if it's a less major town, or 20mph if it's in the heart of a major town or in the heart of a city

- Back country lanes (stupid as it sounds) have a speed limit at 60mph (even single track) but will drop to 30 if passing through a village.

- Housing estates and roads going through places like public parks the roads are 10mph because of children playing.

Roads going past schools, colleges and universities will be either 30mph or 20mph.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Well if you want to go for "realistic playtrough" in IV than disable your HUD icons, don`t look at the map, free aim only, carry only 2 weapons either a pistol and shotgun or pistol and assault rifle, only 3 or 4 magazines of ammo and don`t steal cars. Well at least not more than 1 per day lol. Oh and obey the traffic laws.

Try it but i guarantee you will change your mind after the first mission.

Realism and GTA game don`t have much in common but if you compare IV to any other GTA you`ll see it has the most realistic features. Fine by me as long as it doesn`t ruin my fun.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I've gave the game a realistic play through about 3 years ago and it was awesome. Here's my pointers.

Don't be afraid to steal cars, but when you're done with that car abandon it realistically. Park it in an area like Northwood or Bohan with the engine left on and the door left open.

When you really get into the story, invite friends/girlfriends out to learn more about their character. There is even some mini-stories you might be unaware of. With Dwayne you notice he slowly slips out of depression after conversations with Niko. With Carmen she tries to persuade Niko into buying her a new apartment.

Ring Roman after everyone mission. He might not answer after every single one, but there is loads of conversations Niko has with Roman that reveals more about their characters.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

That makes no sense at all. Playing a GTA game realisticly? I mean realism and GTA games are 2 completely different things. Even if you want to play it as you described that wouldn`t be any fun at all.

Because 90% of missions are far from realism. You play game "realisticly" but than you go on a mission where as 1 man you kill whole warehouse of russian mobsters or even more bizare, 3 men outrun a whole f*cking NOOSE team in three leaf clover mission. A whole SWAT team can`t stop 3 bank robbers in smart suits i mean come on lol, in real life they`d be dead a second they would poke their noses out of a bank.

Don`t you think this is way less realistic than stealing a car and dump it in the middle of the street and than steal another one right away?

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:15 PM Edited by lilchris131, 19 August 2014 - 12:22 PM.

That makes no sense at all. Playing a GTA game realisticly? I mean realism and GTA games are 2 completely different things. Even if you want to play it as you described that wouldn`t be any fun at all.

Because 90% of missions are far from realism. You play game "realisticly" but than you go on a mission where as 1 man you kill whole warehouse of russian mobsters or even more bizare, 3 men outrun a whole f*cking NOOSE team in three leaf clover mission. A whole SWAT team can`t stop 3 bank robbers in smart suits i mean come on lol, in real life they`d be dead a second they would poke their noses out of a bank.

Don`t you think this is way less realistic than stealing a car and dump it in the middle of the street and than steal another one right away?

I do agree with you in some ways because even when trying to play realistically there are a lot of inevitable "flaws" that leave a bad taste in my mouth. But it is still fun trying to get it as close as possible and you can ignore the flaws. :^: (or at least I can)

The mission "Catch the Wave" did leave a very bad taste in my mouth though, because whatever happened Phil always ran into battle and got shot like hell leaving his jacket bloodstained but he was still alive (lol). This was definitely a realism killer, but if you use a sniper to quickly take everyone out it's not so bad.

TheR1mmer
  • TheR1mmer

Leader of MSF

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I did this myself once, avoid picking up weapons. So only the pistol can be holstered, if you pick up a two handed weapon use it immediatly and dont holster it until you have used all the ammo in it. I did that once and it was fun

• lilchris131 and EM_JAY_86 like this

JustRob
  • JustRob

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Why do this? Why take the game, and take everything fun about it out of it? One of the reasons I play GTA is because I can do sh*t I can't do or don't want to do in real life. Steal cars, go on killing sprees, kill cops, all that. I just don't see the fun in playing a GTA game by the "rules" of real life, when that was never the intention of the games in the first place.

• MrVance likes this

thehambone
  • thehambone

Get Get Get Get Got Got Got Got

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:59 AM Edited by thehambone, 23 August 2014 - 11:04 AM.

Why do this? Why take the game, and take everything fun about it out of it? One of the reasons I play GTA is because I can do sh*t I can't do or don't want to do in real life. Steal cars, go on killing sprees, kill cops, all that. I just don't see the fun in playing a GTA game by the "rules" of real life, when that was never the intention of the games in the first place.

Because it's a different approach to playing the game. Some people, like myself, find it fun to play GTA as if it were the Sims from time to time.

And I don't think the intention of the game is what you described. I believe the intention of the game is to have an open-world environment where you can do whatever the hell you want; it's nonlinear gameplay. Feel like blowing people up? Great, go ahead and do that! Feel like obeying traffic? You can do that too!
  • lilchris131, PhillBellic and American Viking like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Like i said you can try and make few things look more realistic but what good is that when there are still other 100 left which are far from realism. Like walking past a cop with weapons equiped. You wont get any star by doing that but it is unrealistic. Or stealing a car, then smash it up total while loosing a wanted level, then after that when you run past some cop nothing will happen. I mean lol, like those cops wouldn`t react if they see smashed up car they were after it not minute ago.

These are the kind of things you just can`t make them more realistic. You make some of them realistic but you are not aware that you completely forgot on 100 another things you do in your playtrough which wouldn`t work in real life.

If that`s what you enjoying to do than ok but it`s a shame because you`re spoiling yourself a fun while you are don`t want to use a rocket launcher or carbine rifle for example.

• lilchris131 likes this

ryd3r007
  • ryd3r007

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 PM Edited by ryd3r007, 26 August 2014 - 09:26 PM.

If that`s what you enjoying to do than ok but it`s a shame because you`re spoiling yourself a fun while you are don`t want to use a rocket launcher or carbine rifle for example.

Believe me, most ppl who play it "realistic" (including myself) complete the story mode a few times, and do a lot of fun and crazy things before that...playing realistic as possible just give us another fun perspective about the game.
I have a save playing realistic after story mode (i edit my money to $50) and im just a new guy in the city coming from europe on the platypus trying to find his cousin (Roman) but because i choose deal on that save, of course he died (i mean, you can call him)...thats make me walk from the entire city (its incredible how many things you can find), trying to find him, go to the cab depot, his house i pass the bridge to algonquin on foot (or train) and i "sleep" with the homeless near mirror park or in the subway, pier 69, dinners or train stations...after 3 days i work as trash recollector using the trashmaster and the clothes from ray's mission, 14 days in the game (manage to earn 20 dollars per day) i "rent" the warehouse in algonquin(for 200 dollars per month) also buy a few clothes...3 months later i found brucie and he invite me to race (i know its not much realistic or legal but is just temporaly), i quit from transmaster driver and move to northwood (1000 dollars per month) and now im wondering what can i do in the future :)

Its like a B-side of GTA IV story, no friends, just trying to survive in the concrete jungle...and of course, no weapons, because Niko dont want to kill anybody in this city.

If you guys have more ideas please share it with me :D, just have to be legals.

PS: Sorry for my english.

PS2: Forgot to say i "buy" a rusty vigero for $200 while working as trashmaster driver (thats how i meet brucie and invite me to a muscle cars race) and i now i want to buy a sultan or a sabre but they cost $7000 :(

PS3: Forgot to say too, Niko and Brucie are friends now, and Niko tell him he was finding her cousin but without luck, Brucie says he was a close friend of Roman, but because his debts and problems with the russian mafia he has to go to vice city and start a new life...now the goal of Niko is go to vice city and live with her cousin, unfortunately when Niko come to LC the goverment banned flights from/to LC and apparently he have to wait a long time after see his cousin.

PS4: Im playing on PS3 so unfortunately i cant use mods.

• strakan7 and thehambone like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

PROFESSIONAL IV FANBOY & SH*TPOSTER

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

1. Walk everywhere.

2. Use taxis and subways.

3. Don't pull out guns in the middle of the street.

4. Have a real life sleeping pattern.

5. Obey the traffic laws and don't crash cars.

6. Change clothes everyday depending on the weather.

7. Eat regularly, not just when you need to heal up.

8. Turn off the HUD.

As for super realistic:

1. Have a weapon inventory consisting only of a pistol, a melee weapon, some grenades and maybe an SMG.

2. When you die, you die. That means restarting the entire game.

3. If you're arrested after a serious crime, restart the game (life in prison).

nah, you should only die permanently if you die from something you cannot survive IRL (i.e. blown up with a grenade). if you die from something that you can survive IRL (i.e. beaten to death by peds), you spawn at the hospital.

• Alchemist and LightningLord like this

strakan7
  • strakan7

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

Ive just started another playthrough of TBoGT, realistic style after jumping on a couple days ago and getting on a freeway. Brought back everything I miss about these games that isnt in V.

Despite the storyline I enjoy slipping out of Louis' character and into my own, sleeping late (around 3/5am), watching tv (getting high) for a while then going out for a drive and something to eat in the evening. I dont really go out to clubs but i dont mind betting on a fight or two on the weekends. Mostly I just go on long drives to different parts of the city and find a good spot to light up, with my phone on sleep mode.
In truth, private free roams are where i enjoy this type of play most. Access all areas and you can restrict the guns to the airport to basically give you a clean city to roam in. I usually live in Louis' house because its clean and pretty much all you need. I like to steal just one car and stick with it as long as it doesn't despawn. Ill drive with the flow of traffic but I occasionally overtake if I think its safe or if im in a 'drive fast' mood. Theres a chinese restaurant in Algonquin that I like to visit or Jacobs bar for the pool table. Its harder to 'earn a living' but its still possible. Ive done jobs in construction, road mending, door to door sales, delivery (food, furniture..anything), security, bar work, food prep and service at clucking bell and burger shot...the list is as long as you can imagine lol. Im glad I earn enough to only do it a few days a week though.

Any other XBOX roleplayers out there hit me up (StrakanXJ)

• ryd3r007 likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

I agree with nobum62's post from above, don't just start over because some random ped knocked you out and then you respawn at the hospital. 

• LightningLord likes this

LightningLord
  • LightningLord

\ (◡) /

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

I agree with nobum62's post from above, don't just start over because some random ped knocked you out and then you respawn at the hospital. 

Yeah. Like if you jump out of a helicopter, hit the ground, get hit by a car, then the car explodes, then that's a reason to restart. Don't restart because a pedestrian kicks your toes and you end up dying.
  • Alchemist likes this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

God, it's so much realism that I would end up getting crazy... XD

• lilchris131 likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

God, it's so much realism that I would end up getting crazy... XD

Hey, some of us like the challenge. :)

Cheers.

• lilchris131 likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Well if those are the reasons you should restart the game from the end for, then you`d need few years to finish it lol.

When i`ll get hold of a game which is realistic at least in 50% then i`ll may consider playing it even more realistical but as long as i kill whole warehouse of russians as one guy only, i think there is no point of playing "realistical" outside of the missions neither.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

Just to bring this up again. I haven't played GTA IV for a couple of weeks and I felt like I was suffering from withdrawal (Even though I'm keeping myself busy with VC) so I decided to start a new save only this time with the radar and HUD turn off.

I've only played the first couple of missions, but holy sh*t doesn't it make a difference? I can imagine later on in the game trying to escape cops and such will be a huge challenge. It completely transforms how everything feels IMO.

• ryd3r007, matajuegos01 and Payne like this

Black Metal
  • Black Metal

A Wolf Servant

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:40 PM Edited by Cristiano Ronaldo 7, 11 November 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Just to bring this up again. I haven't played GTA IV for a couple of weeks and I felt like I was suffering from withdrawal (Even though I'm keeping myself busy with VC) so I decided to start a new save only this time with the radar and HUD turn off.

I've only played the first couple of missions, but holy sh*t doesn't it make a difference? I can imagine later on in the game trying to escape cops and such will be a huge challenge. It completely transforms how everything feels IMO.

Give some rest to Gta IV DVD man. Otherwise you will surely get Tired someday.

I know when I played Gta IV so much; I had health problems and ended up in deleting it from PC for somedays.I believe we all could have better interest in the same game if we give it atleast one months rest or so.

I right now have Gta IV on my PC and also have a 360 complete edition.I am looking for 100% save game. Their are certain difficulties I am facing but I am sure Niko and (I & I) will do it soon. 

Shao Kahn
  • Shao Kahn

The Emperor of Outworld

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

OCD much?

• ocd likes this

American Viking
  • American Viking

WKTT caller

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by American Alpha, 11 November 2014 - 08:28 PM.

I've never played the game any other way. I literally walked everywhere I went unless I needed to run, on foot of course. It really adds to the immersion when you walk from your car and into a mission marker, try it you'll see. I never went on the notorious "GTA Rampage" because it seemed pointless to me. Why would I want to have a massive shootout with police if I could avoid it? Nothing good ever came of it.

I once tried to drive "normal" by stopping at red lights and whatnot but the a.i. cars reacted like I was in the way since the game is not programmed to be played like that. When it came to weapons, I usually tried to have no more than 3 on Niko at anytime but this is too difficult since he automatically acquires weapons when walking into them, and it's overruled by the fact he pulls them out of thin air anyway. I usually changed Niko's clothes and tried to eat something every few days or so, once again to add to the immersion. Some things I didn't mind like stealing cars when I needed them or street fighting from time to time. It's alot of trouble to play realistically but it makes the game alot better. 

I do caution you that if you take this approach, it will take longer to complete the game and you'll have to limit the time you play with frequent breaks. Inevitably, your mind will get bored if you aren't doing something super stimulating and that might lead to you doing a few crazy things, it did for me.

Also, any deaths I may have occurred during gameplay I always just pretended never happened. It is too much trouble to completely reset the game because of one death. I also noticed people on this forum telling you not to steal cars because it would be unrealistic but Niko is a criminal so it's completely realistic. Stealing a car from time to time is okay, just don't go from car to car taking them.   

• lilchris131 likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:23 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 11 November 2014 - 08:24 PM.

I always wanted to play it like that but I got bored after 50% of the game...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users