Playing GTA IV realistically?

101 replies to this topic
fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Use taxis, call Roman's cab service, walk to destinations, meet up with friends more often, obey traffic laws, pay tolls, change clothes everyday, use the internet frequently, make sure to refill body armor and refill guns, use a pistol most of the time, and some other things. But that's all I can think of realistically.

I'm basically gonna try to play as an NPC.

Then you'll have a hard time when you try to drive :S

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Use taxis, call Roman's cab service, walk to destinations, meet up with friends more often, obey traffic laws, pay tolls, change clothes everyday, use the internet frequently, make sure to refill body armor and refill guns, use a pistol most of the time, and some other things. But that's all I can think of realistically.

Is it really that bad?

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Is it really that bad?

Turn vehicle density to 100, pick up a yellow car and ask them to go somewhere, soon you'll be struck in a traffic jam caused by these AIdiots. If you ask them to go faster, it'll be worse. Ah, don't skip the trip :)

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Is it really that bad?

Turn vehicle density to 100, pick up a yellow car and ask them to go somewhere, soon you'll be struck in a traffic jam caused by these AIdiots. If you ask them to go faster, it'll be worse. Ah, don't skip the trip :)

Then I'll just reload and try again. I have patience.

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Is it really that bad?

Or get out of the cab without paying the bill and run away from the taxi driver if you don't wanna punch him

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Is it really that bad?

Or get out of the cab without paying the bill and run away from the taxi driver if you don't wanna punch him

Also an option.  :p

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Is this gonna be harder as you advance through the game?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I have a specific routine everytime I start a save of IV. For the first part of the game I avoid stealing cars and killing peds on purpose. I walk everywhere too, but I've never had a full realistic playthrough.

There's always a time I run over peds in first person laughing like a maniac or shooting up the streets.
  • ddyoung, Zeta87 and ocd like this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

I would imagine so, theres a lot of missions that require going to a specific location after getting a phone call. If you don't have a car, then you're probably gonna have to steal one if the location is in Alderney, or take a cab. Also, there are missions what put you far away from your cars so that they despawn after the missions which means either public transport or stealing. 

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would imagine so, theres a lot of missions that require going to a specific location after getting a phone call. If you don't have a car, then you're probably gonna have to steal one if the location is in Alderney, or take a cab. Also, there are missions what put you far away from your cars so that they despawn after the missions which means either public transport or stealing. 

I'll just call Roman and ask for a cab.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Oh yea, I forgot about that feature... Well, it looks like you're ready to embark. When do you plan on starting?

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

To play much more realistic, use only fists to pass missions.

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Don't use your personal cars to do mission, because there's 99,999999999999% chance you'll lose it

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

I've had another thought. Early in the game you cannot realistically evade traffic laws. This is because you are using Roman's taxis and they are licensed to his cab company. This means that if the traffic cameras saw his cabs going through red lights he would get chased up about it.

Niko is an illegal immigrant so no vehicles are licensed to him. If he was to steal a car, he would have to get it re-sprayed in the Pay n' Spray so that when the car was reported stolen it wouldn't be found so easily. And he would be able to go through traffic lights as long as he re-sprays it regular BUT cannot park it outside his safehouse. If there are cop cars around don't go through lights unless you have to in which case use the "Wanted Up" cheat.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Don't use your personal cars to do mission, because there's 99,999999999999% chance you'll lose it

If you use the trainer, though, you can save the car. Just make sure you have an unsaved copy at your garage, otherwise the saved car will despawn after reloading, even if on the garage.

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Oh yea, I forgot about that feature... Well, it looks like you're ready to embark. When do you plan on starting?

This weekend hopefully.

I thought I'd might add that I'm gonna do this on the Xbox since you guys are talking about trainers.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:06 PM Edited by matajuegos01, 23 June 2014 - 05:07 PM.

You can also do the minimal kill challenge, but it's quite hard and very time consuming.

http://gtaivminimalk...ge.blogspot.com

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Here's just a couple more tips I have regarding stealing cars.

If you want to steal the odd car do it at night, the car should be parked in a quiet area where Niko doesn't normally go. NEVER steal one anywhere near his safehouse. Re-spray it immediately.

Also there is an instance early in the game where you HAVE to steal a car to pass the mission. The one where you confront the laundromat owner and he escapes out the back in his van. There are two cars parked outside (A blista compact and a sentinel) and you have to steal one to chase him down. Are you willing to ignore this minor "realism killer"?

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

If you want to steal the odd car do it at night, the car should be parked in a quiet area where Niko doesn't normally go. NEVER steal one anywhere near his safehouse. Re-spray it immediately.

Also there is an instance early in the game where you HAVE to steal a car to pass the mission. The one where you confront the laundromat owner and he escapes out the back in his van. There are two cars parked outside (A blista compact and a sentinel) and you have to steal one to chase him down. Are you willing to ignore this minor "realism killer"?

I'll guess I have to.

thehambone
  • thehambone

Get Get Get Get Got Got Got Got

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:18 PM Edited by thehambone, 30 June 2014 - 12:19 PM.

I'll guess I have to.
I'd say, if you've gotta break realism in order to complete a mission, just go ahead and do it. I mean, it is GTA -- the missions weren't designed to be played in an "average person in the city" manner. Some tasks are gonna require breaking realism.

But yeah, I'm definitely doing this on my next playthrough. I just got the game on PC, so I'm gonna start on there!

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

So how's the realistic playthrough going. Is there anything important to note that you've come across when doing a realistic playthrough?

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

I was going to do a realistic playthrough of IV this summer but kind of forgot about it and have been in a bad mood lately.

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

Game progress: 13.95%

Missions passed: 20

Current money: $4951

People killed: 30

Days passed: 16

Cars, bikes, boats and helicopters stolen: 0

Stars attained: 4

Longest cop chase time: 0

Miles on foot: 5.23

Miles by car: 33.21

Miles by bike: 5.11

Miles by train: 0.32

So far, so good. This playthrough is really interesting. I'm getting a completely different feel for Hove Beach by just walking to places and obeying traffic

laws. At the moment, I'm laying low after the hit of Mikhail Faustin helping Roman out by doing fares. I'm slowly progressing. During some sessions I'm doing this playthrough high which really increases the feel of "reality" in this game, you know? The cutscenes are so incredible when you're high it's unbelievable.

• strakan7 and bunzubs like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Turn all of the HUD elements off, turn auto aim off, act like a pedestrian traffic wise.

clement_attlee
  • clement_attlee

Strawberry thug

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:37 AM Edited by clement_attlee, 04 July 2014 - 12:40 AM.

I might try this on PC later and I'm wondering if I should use an ENB and/or select real time duration. I feel like ENB's kinda takes the Liberty City feel away from the game.

(I have a trainer and I know how to use scripts and mods etc.)

EDIT: I will also use pedestrian mods that will enable me to sit and drink, smoke, eat just like a normal ped. 

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

I might try this on PC later and I'm wondering if I should use an ENB and/or select real time duration. I feel like ENB's kinda takes the Liberty City feel away from the game.

EDIT: I will also use pedestrian mods that will enable me to sit and drink, smoke, eat just like a normal ped. 

Don't use real time. If you do, you'll go from Northwood to the Exchange in about 5 mins. In NYC, it takes at least 45-60 mins in good traffic, hours in bad.

• lilchris131 likes this

clement_attlee
  • clement_attlee

Strawberry thug

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Don't use real time. If you do, you'll go from Northwood to the Exchange in about 5 mins. In NYC, it takes at least 45-60 mins in good traffic, hours in bad.

Ok :)

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

One other thing I'd say is when someone calls or texts, go to them straight away (or at least in the same day) because it doesn't make sense for them to contact you then wait days for you to turn up and nothing's changed. So try to keep the missions in a logical order.

• ocd likes this

ric4rd094
  • ric4rd094

Remember who you are... :)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Sorry for bumping, but if someone are going to play on PC, there are couple of mods, that increases "realistic" gameplay such as:

- Cautious Drivers

- Crash Injury
- Drive Felony
- HaltTrafficBehind_ForArrestWarrant.cs (Drivers will not overtake you like in vanilla game)
- HideRadar_v1.2_Toggle.cs (You can turn on/off the radar map)
- Wanted
- Wanted Vehicle
- Weapon Arrest
- Realism Traffic/Pedestrian Mini-Mod v2

Greetings :)

Robaldinio
  • Robaldinio

Stay DeClasse

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

This is the thing I miss most in V.

I must have played through IV four or five times and for the final time I wanted to try a realistic approach -- just being a regular guy who is trying to get by. I only took cars that the story gave to me and held onto them for as long as possible. If I my car wasn't available, I would call a cab. I avoided killing as much as possible (so basically only as required in missions) and when missions gave me decisions to make I would choose the moral high ground. I even set out to drive everywhere legally but that wasn't really achievable because of NPC behaviours when queued behind you in traffic.

Overall I totally enjoyed that run through. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users