Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will R* Improve Car Physics on Current gen. Consoles?

59 replies to this topic
darkplague
  • darkplague

Instigater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:25 AM Edited by darkplague, 22 June 2014 - 08:27 AM.

People always argue IV physics vs. V physics.... can't we just compromise with something a bit more in the middle? I mean, to me, if Iv was "Hard Right" then V is "Center Left" and personally i'd like something entirely in the middle.

Although i've argued for IV in the past, i must say the Boat-like attributes did need tweaked, and the tendency for tailspin, and under steer also needed fixed. But IV felt like every car had it's own personality so-to-speak and V ... i mean some cars have that, but a lot of them feel very similar... they speed up WAYY too fast, brakes are too good,  a trash truck shouldn't be able to reverse, brake and forward in the time that you can in V, and it's rather annoying to do a full speed, head on crash and have no front end damage...

• fac316 likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

THE_TREVALEV: I just want to make a slight correction. You lose control at 20 mph. It's not a matter of fact. I can make turns fine at much higher speeds without spinning out. I'm sure many others can too,

Anyway they wont change it, but honestly it's just too hit and miss for me. There are times certain cars feel pretty good, but other times they feel very plastic and toy like. For my liking there's barely any distinction between different classes apart from how fast they accelerate and top end speed. Even trucks feel too light and handle too much like sports cars. The feel of mass is pretty poor compared to what it was like in IV.

GTA V's physics has its moments, but overall GTA IV's has given me much more satisfaction. I guess I'm not part of the "majority", but I couldn't care less.
  • Scaglietti likes this

embroid
  • embroid

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:38 AM Edited by embroid, 22 June 2014 - 11:50 AM.

hey guys

this is example of great vehicle's physic in game:

wow looks so nice, not only the vehicle's physic but also the road physics are also simulated ..

i mean look at the mud road & the tires that was some nice physic,

that is better than any vehicle physic in GTA, i hope next GTA can be looks like this in the future maybe

this game used havoc btw

InnocentA
  • InnocentA

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

The handling in IV was more realistic, but harder for playing the game with, losing control of the car, V is better for keeping the car on the road at higher speed but its not as realistic, it reminds me of the old grand turismos with better cornering. If you stop a car, hold a direction, left or right, then accelerate for a second, that seems to demonstrate the problem at its worst, the back wheels slide across the road, like a toy car. It was the 1st thing i noticed when i 1st played V
  • TheOtherRyan and Scaglietti like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:19 PM Edited by StingrayX, 22 June 2014 - 02:32 PM.

I mean, you f*cking lose control of your vehicle while doing 20 mph around a curve.

I gave up on your rant around here. Either you have the tendency to really over-exaggerate, or you're a knob who probably drove like a dickhead 24/7 (speeding around, not braking, crashing) with no skill whatsoever.

As far as physics go, I doubt Rockstar will alter them at all. The reason the physics are the way they are now is because they wanted them to be that way. It has nothing to do with limitations. They just listened to all of the senseless, childish, over-exaggerating bullsh*t that you lot posted pre-release.
LOL. Way to use petty insults as your argument. Face it. The only people who bitch about the handling are the little elitist kiddies on this forum who think they're superior because they've mastered something a majority of fans don't like.

This part of your comment makes you look so much like a bigot that I'm not even going to bother arguing with you. "The only people who bitch about the handling are the little elitist kiddies" What the f*ck is wrong with you? I'm getting tired of all of these hostile twits taking over this section of the forum. What are you, twelve years old? Grow the f*ck up!

As much as I liked IV's driving, you have a point. 

This video sums it up nicely. Jump to minute 1:30 to see what I'm talking about. The further I get away from GTA IV, the more I realize how ridiculous it is to have something that deep in an open world action game. 

One simple mistake and it's over.  :lol:

I mean, what else did you expect to happen? Speeding in a two ton, powerful, luxury saloon and slipping can f*ck you up. :yawn:

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

R* doesn't make challenging games.

GTA III? VC? SA? They've turned into corporate pussies. Anyone who listens to LCHC hates them!

They could have made easy money even by pleasing old GTA fans, but nope. They didn't even try one bit, and made a new fifth era of GTA full of bullsh*t.

You're probably right, but I remember that time after IV released and a lot of fans were talking about how they were done with GTA if it continued down that route. And let me alter my statement about R* and challenging games. I thought MP3 was challenging, and I agree the 3D era had more challenge, but it was usually just a few missions. Those missions stood out, similar to how the driving in IV did. It was just a few challenging things in the middle of a mostly casual experience. Like Zero's missions or any RC mission(Demolition Man!!!) in any GTA or that stupid train mission in SA. And in some cases when you go back and play certain missions, you realize it was just poor mechanics or level design. 

I would bet money the police will be the next thing R* will change along with the helicopters. They try stuff, and then people say it's too difficult and it get's easier, but sometimes better. Their fanbase is so huge, they probably get more complaints than any other developer about the same sh*t, over and over again. I use to be against it, but maybe R* should just start doing difficulty settings. GTA is too popular to just completely change important features so drastically with every game because of complaints.

I hope to see something like this in future games...

AMyTTl.jpg

It's makes too much sense for GTA to be a more custom experience. We all play it in our own way. 

Braking?

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

R* doesn't make challenging games.

GTA III? VC? SA? They've turned into corporate pussies. Anyone who listens to LCHC hates them!

They could have made easy money even by pleasing old GTA fans, but nope. They didn't even try one bit, and made a new fifth era of GTA full of bullsh*t.

You're probably right, but I remember that time after IV released and a lot of fans were talking about how they were done with GTA if it continued down that route. And let me alter my statement about R* and challenging games. I thought MP3 was challenging, and I agree the 3D era had more challenge, but it was usually just a few missions. Those missions stood out, similar to how the driving in IV did. It was just a few challenging things in the middle of a mostly casual experience. Like Zero's missions or any RC mission(Demolition Man!!!) in any GTA or that stupid train mission in SA. And in some cases when you go back and play certain missions, you realize it was just poor mechanics or level design. 

I would bet money the police will be the next thing R* will change along with the helicopters. They try stuff, and then people say it's too difficult and it get's easier, but sometimes better. Their fanbase is so huge, they probably get more complaints than any other developer about the same sh*t, over and over again. I use to be against it, but maybe R* should just start doing difficulty settings. GTA is too popular to just completely change important features so drastically with every game because of complaints.

I hope to see something like this in future games...

AMyTTl.jpg

It's makes too much sense for GTA to be a more custom experience. We all play it in our own way. 

Braking?

The cars in GTA V seem to have the best ABS ever, even slamming the brakes on from 120 isn't enough to lock the car up properly, it needs more customization options for the driving like the screen from Forza 4.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

With the next gen version they need to make the driving as customizable as possible and continue down that road for future GTAs. The only way not to anger a bunch of people is to let people choose what kind of driving they want.

• Scaglietti likes this

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

With the next gen version they need to make the driving as customizable as possible and continue down that road for future GTAs. The only way not to anger a bunch of people is to let people choose what kind of driving they want.

This is the best  solution. Make it like Mafia II, people can choose what type of vehicle physics they want. There is already an aiming option why not also add a driving option

• Scaglietti likes this

PM-ME-YOUR-TITS-GIRL
  • PM-ME-YOUR-TITS-GIRL

Sexual Deviant

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:55 PM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 22 June 2014 - 06:08 PM.

I'm playing Ballad of Gay Tony, and I don't see the hype behind IV driving physics. Isn't the top speed in IV like 90 mph? I mean, you f*cking lose control of your vehicle while doing 20 mph around a curve. On grass, you f*cking spin out as if you're three inches deep in sh*t. They are boats on wheels. Don't get me started on the motorcycles. What motorcycle requires you to put your entire weight on one side to turn slightly? V physics were made to be fun and to be easy. Each have their own handling and it depends of which protagonist you are playing as. It has it's flaws like being able to scale a mountain in a sports car, but V driving gets too much sh*t. I find it fun as hell weaving in and out of traffic with Frank's special ability. I do, however, hope to see IV's vehicle damaging.

Exactly this, +1

You won't believe how many posts I've seen where people are bashing the driving physics of V and praising IVs. It's odd, neither is better or worse than the other. One is intended to be an arcade-like racing game while the other is a pure driving physics simulator.

I think it was because IV was meant to be an uber-realistic game (by GTA standards). They stopped cars from behaving like Hollywood chase scenes and made them realistic. They also limited how many mags Niko can carry to add the realism.

I think comparing the car physics and other game mechanics also reflects the overall feel that R* were trying to get for the project as whole.

IV is meant to be a gritty, dark, and realistic look at a depressed immigrant looking for salvation in the new world. Realistic is a key word. Look how there are no ridiculous over-the-top missions and no funzies.

V is a return to the fun and kiddie GTA style that made the series. Missions like "minor turbulence" for instance.

Everything in the game reflects this fact. From the story, the characters, the mechanics...and yes...down to the driving physics and how ammo is handled.

Sorry if I'm going on too long. I'm not good at articulating points.

For example, I like V's physics because the go with overall fun and zany tone of the game. Driving was effortless to a mildly seasoned gamer. This allowed for crazy jumps, ridiculous crashes, hairpin turns, and weaving through heavy traffic with ease...just like you'd see in a high-octane Hollywood action movie. Ridiculously cinematic driving that compliments the ridiculous and over-the-top tone of the game.

I like IV physics because, as someone said, it gave each car personality. Every chase scene, every drive from here to there, felt like a new unique experience because the car physics were so sensitive and realisitc. There was no room to easily create Hollywood moments...just a realistic chase to pull you further into the realistic game.

It's not a matter of which is better or which is worse. Both are different physics applied to different games with different intentions, and they both work well and compliment the game they are in.

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

I mean, you f*cking lose control of your vehicle while doing 20 mph around a curve.

I gave up on your rant around here. Either you have the tendency to really over-exaggerate, or you're a knob who probably drove like a dickhead 24/7 (speeding around, not braking, crashing) with no skill whatsoever.

As far as physics go, I doubt Rockstar will alter them at all. The reason the physics are the way they are now is because they wanted them to be that way. It has nothing to do with limitations. They just listened to all of the senseless, childish, over-exaggerating bullsh*t that you lot posted pre-release.

Irony. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Irony. 

Look up the definition of irony, smart one.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:18 AM Edited by BlackNoise, 23 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

As much as I liked IV's driving, you have a point. 

This video sums it up nicely. Jump to minute 1:30 to see what I'm talking about. The further I get away from GTA IV, the more I realize how ridiculous it is to have something that deep in an open world action game. 

Spoiler

One simple mistake and it's over.  :lol:

I mean, what else did you expect to happen? Speeding in a two ton, powerful, luxury saloon and slipping can f*ck you up. :yawn:

Spoiler

Not that.

I use to speed all the time and I still do sometimes, and my first car(03 G35) and current car(08 Acura TL are both pretty quick. Traction control would always kick in and save me every single time if I was acting too stupid. Look at where that Schafter was in the video when it started to spin out. It seems like it took forever, like it was in slow motion or something. To be fair though, I suck at judging speed in GTA, so maybe he was going faster than it looks to me. I wish he was using a speedo. 

I love driving in GTA IV, but it's probably because it's more challenging than it should be. Getting from point A to B is a game in itself, but I don't look at driving in real life like that. Driving in real life probably feels more like GTA V. It's so simple everyone can do it. I'm not talking about the physics, just how easy it is to learn and do. Real cars are easy to drive and it's hard to mess up in real life, unless you're being a complete asshole. 

And that's an M5 in that video, most likely with traction control off. That's pretty far from a luxury saloon IMO. It's closer to a four door supercar and the driver looks like an idiot. Look at his front wheels from 00:16-0:17 and listen to his car. 

Edit: StingrayX, I'm jumping back into GTA IV right now. I haven't played it in a long time. I feel uninformed.  :/

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:25 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 23 June 2014 - 12:26 PM.

You're right StingrayX.

GTA IV's handling is factually better. I forgot how much I loved it. This is me on my sh*tty computer trying to drive like I do in GTA V. There's so much more going on with the physics...

• B Dawg and Scaglietti like this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

The driving is pretty fine for me. Unless the PC version's a port, I'm sure there will be improved driving physics. Next gen is sure to have improved engine, so expect some better physics too.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

The driving is pretty fine for me. Unless the PC version's a port, I'm sure there will be improved driving physics. Next gen is sure to have improved engine, so expect some better physics too.

To be honest I think there's too much faith being put into the next gen version. Realistically it'll be an enhancement. I doubt the physics will be better aswell. At least significantly to notice a difference.

This is why I don't see any point in buying the next gen version straight away. Over here it's going to be $99 which is a lot of money for what will be a year and a half old game that looks a bit better than I already have.

These are the physics R* set out for the game. They won't be changed in any significant way on the consoles. PC is obviously open ended due to mods.
  • kj2022 and Scaglietti like this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

To be honest I think there's too much faith being put into the next gen version. Realistically it'll be an enhancement. I doubt the physics will be better aswell. At least significantly to notice a difference.

This is why I don't see any point in buying the next gen version straight away. Over here it's going to be $99 which is a lot of money for what will be a year and a half old game that looks a bit better than I already have.

These are the physics R* set out for the game. They won't be changed in any significant way on the consoles. PC is obviously open ended due to mods.
Well, faith is the right word here. Improved graphics are the clue that made me believe about better physics. I mean, why not? They're enhancing so many things. Why not driving?

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

It will be an enhancement indeed. I feel that the only way to restore realistic handling would be to mod the handling.dat file. It would be no easy feat.

Us Aussies get the short straw when it comes to software prices. Something some people would call the Australia Tax.

I hope there is a V counterpart to IV's Better Driving and Flying mod by Killatomate.

Cheers.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

That's pretty far from a luxury saloon IMO.

It's based off the E60 5-series which is kind of an entry level luxury saloon. It has all of the features a fully loaded 5-series has, all of the comfort settings, it just has a more powerful V10 engine and more aggressive styling.

Jeone
  • Jeone

I don't like cats

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Driving in iv was rubbish v is more realistic

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

I am one of the people who did get good at IV's driving. It's still not very good. I mean, unless you spend a long time drifting on the sand on the beach, the roads will just suck. They always feel like they're wet. Always. They could be drier than the sahara and it'll still feel like they've got at least an inch of rain on them. Even with practice, and YES I DID MASTER THE DRIVING YOU ELITIST PRICKS, it's still way too slippery.

I've seen real cars drive and IV's handling is definitely not like that.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

No room for faith. They came up with this sh*t because they wanted to, and that will most likely carry on to next gen game. They won't dare annoying the huge legion of hopeless drivers around.

As someone else said, it's an overall design choice (a lame one sadly): close to 0 bulletspread on automatic weapons, absurd grip levels, cars that take 100 shunts to be destroyed, over the top missions, cars that turn around after a roll over...

PS: don't be twats, don't EVER speed IRL. No respawning here and thousands of people out there to hurt. Be mature.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:45 PM Edited by StingrayX, 23 June 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Driving in iv was rubbish v is more realistic

Post of the f*cking year right here! :^:

@personabovefasterthan you: How do the roads feel wet? You're just making sh*t up.

Mr. New Vegas
  • Mr. New Vegas

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

The thing that annoys me about V's physics is it makes online racing pathetic. IV's racing was about who had the most skill, V's is about whoever is 2nd towards the end of the race wins due to the dumb tailgating, no skill at all.

Sorry for sounding elitist but I wish more people were patient with IV. I hated it at first but ending up getting used to it and became pretty good at it.

• Scaglietti likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:35 AM Edited by B Dawg, 24 June 2014 - 08:36 AM.

You're right StingrayX.

GTA IV's handling is factually better. I forgot how much I loved it. This is me on my sh*tty computer trying to drive like I do in GTA V. There's so much more going on with the physics...

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, nice driving while using the keyboard :p

I might make my own driving video, if FRAPS doesn't screw up my FPS too bad.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

You're right StingrayX.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, nice driving while using the keyboard :p

How does one make a video of their driving on the PS3? I'd like to do that, I think the way I drive is a bit weird compared to all of y'all.

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

You're right StingrayX.

How does one make a video of their driving on the PS3? I'd like to do that, I think the way I drive is a bit weird compared to all of y'all.

Get a HDMI recorder.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

People always argue IV physics vs. V physics.... can't we just compromise with something a bit more in the middle? I mean, to me, if Iv was "Hard Right" then V is "Center Left" and personally i'd like something entirely in the middle.

Although i've argued for IV in the past, i must say the Boat-like attributes did need tweaked, and the tendency for tailspin, and under steer also needed fixed. But IV felt like every car had it's own personality so-to-speak and V ... i mean some cars have that, but a lot of them feel very similar... they speed up WAYY too fast, brakes are too good,  a trash truck shouldn't be able to reverse, brake and forward in the time that you can in V, and it's rather annoying to do a full speed, head on crash and have no front end damage...

EXACTLY, the sports cars in IV had there own feel. whereas w/ V, they all feel generic. Not saying all cars in V suck (love the super drop top diamond) and don't get me started on the car damage/car explosions/ car staying off problems V has.....

• Scaglietti likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Forget it. The car physics in GTA IV were more realistic, but the road felt like a ice skating ring, and cars are too boaty. Besides GTA V's physics aren't bad. JC2's are bad.

What's wrong with the current physics?

The driving sucks.

Just because the driving isn't like GTA IV's doesn't mean it sucks. Look at other open world games besides GTA V, most of them have horrible car physics.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

Forget it. The car physics in GTA IV were more realistic, but the road felt like a ice skating ring, and cars are too boaty. Besides GTA V's physics aren't bad. JC2's are bad.

What's wrong with the current physics?

The driving sucks.

Just because the driving isn't like GTA IV's doesn't mean it sucks. Look at other open world games besides GTA V, most of them have horrible car physics.
You do know your opinion is not a fact, right. Nobody has time for your sh*t today...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users