Gta Online - Behind the scenes - & an insight into R* production

59 replies to this topic
Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

It makes a most pleasant change to see a differing of opinions on this forum that doesn't include the words "butthurt", "GTFO" or "STFU" :)

• Miss Malevolent and D3ViOU5 like this

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:17 PM Edited by sweetbrother, 20 June 2014 - 01:17 PM.

I don't need breast feeding on it. I read it, as I said all I'm questioning is the legitimacy of those comments.

And I'm sure as you work in web you'll appreciate the importance of NDAs so I'm not gong to give you that information. The same with R*, we don't truly know what's it like and these comments are the closest we can get. I appreciate what your saying. I'm just wondering about the legitimacy.

No hate to anyone in this thread.

Understood. I'm not going to dismiss the legitimacy so harshly though. Its only R* games tbh normal everyday people work there. People here think its some Area 51 secret super lab that only the gifted can work at - and once leaving the FBI pays them to keep quiet. At least its not some gta wiki website and is professional.

garyharry
  • garyharry

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

They get paid to do a job. Maybe they should spend less time moaning about the job and more time doing it. No sympathy here for them, i bet they all get paid handsomely. Everyone knows what sort of job/industry they are getting into. If they want stress free work then go work for your local supermarket stacking shelves. 

RichyBeats
  • RichyBeats

Peon

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Damn I was sure the HQ was in Scotland, a bit disappointed that everything goes through NYC makes sense though as it's an economic hub.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm not defending R* here but it looks like anyone can post a review.

Id take it all with a pinch of salt.

Can you have some more common sense and read glassdoor.co.uk terms of use before posting. Or just think about things in general

Now a bunch of dumbasses are going to like your post. Thanks

Everybody knows glass door is not to be taken as the be all & end all. 

Anybody can write reviews, & most of them are always disgruntled employees who want to make their experience sound worse than it was 

Glass door is not a solid source for anything, it is merely one unreliable perspective & it offers no true insight into anything within a company. Maybe consider your sources & business knowledge the next time you create a ridiculous thread. 

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Everyone knows RAGE is a bitch to work with...but maybe that was R*'s intent.

And no, please don't use Unreal or Cry for GTA...

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Can you have some more common sense and read glassdoor.co.uk terms of use before posting. Or just think about things in general

Anybody can write reviews, & most of them are always disgruntled employees who want to make their experience sound worse than it was 

Glass door is not a solid source for anything, it is merely one unreliable perspective & it offers no true insight into anything within a company. Maybe consider your sources & business knowledge the next time you create a ridiculous thread. 

maybe think about making ridiculous threads called "

Trivehiclathons! (a working title)"

And stop over-saturating the forums with "I want this, and I want that" bull crap. What do you do for a living? Besides cooking these fries.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

And stop over-saturating the forums with "I want this, and I want that" bull crap. What do you do for a living? Besides cooking these fries.

Work in Business Analysis... Maybe thats why I do not rely on glassdoor as a source for any of my posts.

As for creative threads, whats ridiculous about the ability to use multiple vehicles within a race? 

Thats the most nonsensical retort I have ever seen, Like I said, get better sources you f*cking idiot, GlassDoor is known for disgruntled employees putting on doom & gloom stories.

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

Work in Business Analysis... Maybe thats why I do not rely on glassdoor as a source for any of my posts.

As for creative threads, whats ridiculous about the ability to use multiple vehicles within a race? 

Thats the most nonsensical retort I have ever seen, Like I said, get better sources you f*cking idiot, GlassDoor is known for disgruntled employees putting on doom & gloom stories.

Oh you're a Business Analyst? But you can't seem to analyse that not all the reviews on glassdoor are gloom & doom stories. Some are explaining the difficulties of using the tools and the management planning, which might explain to some people who have no knowledge on game development on why R* games are delayed often. But because Wildfire speaks for everyone on earth glassdoor is just whatever he says it is.

Do yourself a favour, since you must be good at making pie charts, make a pie chart about what percentage you have increased stupidity against ignorance from 2010 till 2014. Make sure it has lots of crazy colours so it looks like your job is actually worth a dam.

Captain Hammer
  • Captain Hammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Like most people on forums you're about to debate on something you don't know what you're talking about and isn't worth it. I will not.

You already did!

OP you started a thread speculating on anonymous postings from a internet site.

Do you read YELP too?

• MookStunna likes this

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:06 PM Edited by Wildfire_08, 20 June 2014 - 03:07 PM.

Oh you're a Business Analyst? But you can't seem to analyse that not all the reviews on glassdoor are gloom & doom stories. Some are explaining the difficulties of using the tools and the management planning, which might explain to some people who have no knowledge on game development on why R* games are delayed often. But because Wildfire speaks for everyone on earth glassdoor is just whatever he says it is.

Do yourself a favour, since you must be good at making pie charts, make a pie chart about what percentage you have increased stupidity against ignorance from 2010 till 2014. Make sure it has lots of crazy colours so it looks like your job is actually worth a dam.

Lmfao, you are so idiotic it is beyond belief. 

As others have clearly pointed out, you have based a thread off a source which is not credible, is anonymous, & is widely known for its exaggerations. 

Im not going to sit here & say that the odd postings do not shed some light on what may happen, but there are far greater resources out there to learn such thing & you should not base threads off an anonymous opinion.

Why not try more credible sources? Sorry if you feel insulted bud, but you opened yourself upto criticism when you used Glassdoor as your only source of information. 

You are clearly not an educated man, otherwise you would know how to properly research & find credible sources. 

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

You already did!

OP you started a thread speculating on anonymous postings from a internet site.

Do you read YELP too?

People here think its some Area 51 secret super lab that only the gifted can work at - and once leaving the FBI pays them to keep quiet. At least its not some gta wiki website and is professional.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:10 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 20 June 2014 - 03:10 PM.

As others have clearly pointed out, you have based a thread off a source which is not credible, is anonymous, & is widely known for its exaggerations

Im not going to sit here & say that the odd postings do not shed some light on what may happen, but there are far greater resources out there to learn such thing & you should not base threads off an anonymous opinion.

Why not try more credible sources? Sorry if you feel insulted bud, but you opened yourself upto criticism when you used Glassdoor as your only source of information. 

You are clearly not an educated man, otherwise you would know how to properly research & find credible sources. 

This is a genuine question here - not an attempt at getting one over on you.  What's your point of reference for saying that it's not credible and widely known for exaggerations?  Also, are there more credible sources available to us?  If so, what and where?  I'd like to see what they say.

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:22 PM Edited by sweetbrother, 20 June 2014 - 03:23 PM.

As others have clearly pointed out, you have based a thread off a source which is not credible, is anonymous, & is widely known for its exaggerations

This is a genuine question here - not an attempt at getting one over on you.  What's your point of reference for saying that it's not credible and widely known for exaggerations?  Also, are there more credible sources available to us?  If so, what and where?  I'd like to see what they say.

The things is. Maybe I'm just assuming here, but these kinds of people always want to be breast fed with all the info & rule out everything just for the sake of it. Remember yougotsmoked on the delayed heist thread where he couldn't find the R* response for like half an hour? He wants me to go up to Scotland and get video evidence or something. They dismissed the hipster "speculation" because it came from one of those ibtimes or seven sins etc the same way.

I never stated in my thread that this is proof to why..blah blah. This is some insight. And like I said, its not like Rockstar is Area 51. Hell, I might even work there one day (inb4 jokes). He has no reference for it not being credible. He's just another forum master-debator.

Maybe they should try and set up a glassdoor account for themselves. 

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Since when was there credibility in anonymity? 

You do not need a point of reference for discrediting something which is blindly obvious. The web is not an honest place y'know... Super positive reviews are usually "Encouraged", And most of the negative reviews come from people who are ranting and disgruntled, its common sense. 

Dont tell me you're one of those guys who thinks that IGN gaming reviews are not generally paid for in some way, i'd be so disappointed

Also like I said in my previous post, sure there will be some insight given, in the minority somewhere, but as it is anonymous you cannot use it as a credible source of information. I do not see how that can be refuted.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

The things is. Maybe I'm just assuming here, but these kinds of people always want to be breast fed with all the info & rule out everything just for the sake of it. Remember yougotsmoked on the delayed heist thread where he couldn't find the R* response for like half an hour? He wants me to go up to Scotland and get video evidence or something. They dismissed the hipster "speculation" because it came from one of those ibtimes or seven sins etc the same way.

I never stated in my thread that this is proof to why..blah blah. This is some insight. And like I said, its not like Rockstar is Area 51. Hell, I might even work there one day (inb4 jokes). He has no reference for it not being credible. He's just another forum master-debator.

Maybe they should try and set up a glassdoor account for themselves. 

I think you need to stay mature, It has nothing to do with being breast fed anything. We are educated adults, at least some of us & it is not wrong to expect a credible source.

When you label a thread " Behind the scenes" I expect maybe one of those videos where students go into the studios or something, something which is actually credible & can clearly not be refuted. 

Calling something "behind the scenes" & then using Glassdoor as a way of somehow proving that, is axiomatically invalid... Its like saying "Exclusive, Wayne Rooney says he actually likes men" & when asked for a source you say someone of twitter told you. 

• MookStunna likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

You do not need a point of reference for discrediting something which is blindly obvious. The web is not an honest place y'know... Super positive reviews are usually "Encouraged", And most of the negative reviews come from people who are ranting and disgruntled, its common sense. 

Dont tell me you're one of those guys who thinks that IGN gaming reviews are not generally paid for in some way, i'd be so disappointed

Also like I said in my previous post, sure there will be some insight given, in the minority somewhere, but as it is anonymous you cannot use it as a credible source of information. I do not see how that can be refuted.

I specifically didn't highlight or mention anonymity.  You said it's not credible and widely known for exaggerations - that's what I was asking about.

Okay, I'll make a point I've made previously in this thread.

The write-ups on that site that are linked in this thread are 100% what it is like to be a professional software engineer, at a high level  (it's even worse when you first start out).  Because of that fact I can fully believe what is written there.  That's not an assumption based on my opinion of the honesty of the posters - it's a fact based on many years of personal experience.

It's obviously not important to me whether you believe it or not - I'm just responding to your posts and was wondering what you based your opinions on, and it appears that they're based on nothing of substance.

Think what you like, but most people are open-minded enough to not rule something out just because it's on the internet, especially when it can be backed up by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Let's agree to disagree.

• D3ViOU5 likes this

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:44 PM Edited by Wildfire_08, 20 June 2014 - 03:44 PM.

I specifically didn't highlight or mention anonymity.  You said it's not credible and widely known for exaggerations - that's what I was asking about.

Okay, I'll make a point I've made previously in this thread.

The write-ups on that site that are linked in this thread are 100% what it is like to be a professional software engineer, at a high level  (it's even worse when you first start out).  Because of that fact I can fully believe what is written there.  That's not an assumption based on my opinion of the honesty of the posters - it's a fact based on many years of personal experience.

It's obviously not important to me whether you believe it or not - I'm just responding to your posts and was wondering what you based your opinions on, and it appears that they're based on nothing of substance.

Think what you like, but most people are open-minded enough to not rule something out just because it's on the internet, especially when it can be backed up by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Let's agree to disagree.

Ok & I have seen hundreds of reviews in areas of Business, Finance & Accounting which are nothing but bollocks. 

I have seen plenty of reviews for positions with companies I have also held which neglected to highlight tonnes of incredible perks about the career & instead solely focused on negative aspects which were completely overshadowed by opportunities, And also other posts which were not at all true. 

Its like I said, there may be some which are true, I never doubted that but as a whole you cannot use it as a credible source, because it is not credible. It has far too many unreliable, untrue & ridiculous posts on there for it to be a  considered a truly credible source. 

Credibility may not be important to you, but when it comes to research it is everything & I for one do not base my knowledge of things or rely on dodgy sources.

What stops any old mentalist from writing a review about a company because they got fired saying it was the worst company ever, they have unrealistic deadlines, unfriendly environment, poor management, when actually he just got fired because he was negligent...

do you see my point?  

Miss Malevolent
  • Miss Malevolent

Bitch³

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Everyone knows RAGE is a bitch to work with...but maybe that was R*'s intent.

And no, please don't use Unreal or Cry for GTA...

Why?

Why is Rage a bitch to work with, and if it is why not Unreal or Cry?

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

do you see my point?  

Of course, but it's not just 1 person slagging them off.  They're legitimate issues that are real and people do face regularly in this industry.  I understand why this doesn't mean anything to you, but to me they're all too close to my own reality for me to even doubt it.  If it were 1 or 2 people on there saying these things then of course there would be less plausibility, but there's quite a few posts on there.

It *is* what this industry is like, so even if it's all been made up by people then they have made up the truth.  There's nothing specific to Rockstar on that page other than mentions of what tools they use.

It obviously wouldn't make any difference to non-developers what it says on there, but if I were ever considering a position at Rockstar I'd read that page and snip it down to 1 statement...

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

do you see my point?  

Of course, but it's not just 1 person slagging them off.  They're legitimate issues that are real and people do face regularly in this industry.  I understand why this doesn't mean anything to you, but to me they're all too close to my own reality for me to even doubt it.  If it were 1 or 2 people on there saying these things then of course there would be less plausibility, but there's quite a few posts on there.

It *is* what this industry is like, so even if it's all been made up by people then they have made up the truth.  There's nothing specific to Rockstar on that page other than mentions of what tools they use.

It obviously wouldn't make any difference to non-developers what it says on there, but if I were ever considering a position at Rockstar I'd read that page and snip it down to 1 statement...

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.

Lol I get that, but remember these are also companies with thousands of employees, & "quite a few" does not give an accurate "behind the scenes" view as this thread implied. 

But it is what it is, Agree to disagree as I am focusing my attention on the pilot thread, lol.

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

I think you need to stay mature, It has nothing to do with being breast fed anything. We are educated adults, at least some of us & it is not wrong to expect a credible source.

When you label a thread " Behind the scenes" I expect maybe one of those videos where students go into the studios or something, something which is actually credible & can clearly not be refuted. 

Calling something "behind the scenes" & then using Glassdoor as a way of somehow proving that, is axiomatically invalid... Its like saying "Exclusive, Wayne Rooney says he actually likes men" & when asked for a source you say someone of twitter told you. 

Oh well sorry Wildfire I can't change the topic title, should I just kill myself now? 

Ill be mature let people make up their own minds about what they read. You can do the same if you want

petraeus
  • petraeus

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:10 PM Edited by petraeus, 20 June 2014 - 04:11 PM.

sounds like any typical low lvl programmer, designer, artist who thinks they can run a multi-billion dollar business better than everyone else.

There is a reason these types arent senior management, because they only ever see problems and never solutions.

• Captain Hammer likes this

RichyBeats
  • RichyBeats

Peon

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I can't imagine someone that wants to rant about a company they got fired from even thinking about pros, which makes me thing there may be some credibility here.

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

T.N.W.O

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:39 PM Edited by sweetbrother, 20 June 2014 - 06:04 PM.

sounds like any typical low lvl programmer, designer, artist who thinks they can run a multi-billion dollar business better than everyone else.

There is a reason these types arent senior management, because they only ever see problems and never solutions.

There are managers in there too. 

Lol I get that, but remember these are also companies with thousands of employees, & "quite a few" does not give an accurate "behind the scenes" view as this thread implied. 

But it is what it is, Agree to disagree as I am focusing my attention on the pilot thread, lol.

Here's the thing. There is a person, on glassdoor, who supposedly worked for R*, posting on a professional site where they have a mix of reviews, list jobs etc. giving his/her review of what it was like to work there. Granted they are only probably 18% of the whole company.

Vs.

Some random Business analyst dude called Wildfire on gtaf, dismissing the entire thing because its on glassdoor saying its just disgruntled workers. Are they fake reviews, or disgruntled workers? Which is it?

Sorry but I think im going to lean more towards what's on glassdoor. At least it would give me some better insight on why bugs keep coming up & development delays in gta:o   as opposed to you telling me why.

Niyologist
  • Niyologist

Creation and Destruction are the Circle of Life.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

what conerns me is the "bad planning/management" that keeps being mentioned. Also the RAGE engine being brought up twice saying that it was buggy and increases problems and fixes, delays, working hours etc. That is just not good enough, if something is causing this many problems you spend money and change hardware, software, whatever.

Until profits drop by enough to get the attention of the people running the show, nothing will change.  They get their employees to do what they're told and we buy it.  Why on earth would anyone who's into making money change that at all?  Please don't use common sense.  That goes out the window when your pockets are full of money.

That's what happens when idiotic businessmen are consumed by greed.

Two gun
  • Two gun

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:00 PM Edited by Two gun, 20 June 2014 - 06:00 PM.

It reads like one of the little sh*ts from this forum made that posting about rock star ...

Cragovich
  • Cragovich

The Division.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:09 PM Edited by Cragovich, 20 June 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Do some work for a few hours and come back to hell in this thread again.

Oh GTAF, you never disappoint.

AgentExeider
  • AgentExeider

Secret Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, pretty much what I've seen from my own experience, I've noticed that generally production is either extremely good or really bad, there is no in between or moderation, it's odd. It's like, "what you can't take a 10 minute smoke break, it's got to be a half hour??"

Feurian42
  • Feurian42

GTA WORLD POLICE

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

These are usually BS, you have a bunch of employees that don't agree with management, whats new.  This is rampant in the workplace today, no matter the industry.  Why do people think their boss HAS to consider their ideas?  I think its funny how so many of them bash management, but they themselves are not qualified to manage.  I have taken people like this and placed them in low level management just to give them a taste, they all crumble.  It truly takes a special talent to manage at a high level, you can't manage just because you have an idea or two.  It takes a lot of knowledge and understanding, of both business and people to get the job done.  Look at it this way.  If you have 25,000 employees, you will have at least 25,000 things that people want new or changed.  Those 25,000 people only see what they want and that's all they consider.  They don't consider the big picture. 

• petraeus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users