Car Spoilers Increase Performance

187 replies to this topic
gorskiegangsta
  • gorskiegangsta

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

What about cars that already had the spoiler 'upgrades', do they get the boost, or do you have to rebuy them?

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

Same goes for my jester.

statistic
  • statistic

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

this saddens me.  I love how my Jester looks with no spoiler, but the ONLY time I drive it these days is in races.  Gonna have to add one.

Seventh Shin
  • Seventh Shin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

The cars already have too much traction, if only there was a way to reduce the traction.

And I guess spoilers don't reduce top speed.

gorskiegangsta
  • gorskiegangsta

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Fantastic....  Now the Elegy can be even MORE OP!

Some one/thing has to be first. Besides, Elegy isn't that OP, just that its weaknesses (braking) are easier to manage for most players. Also, this applies to all cars, so whatever advantage Elegy gets, is negated.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

Thunder Dragoon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Bearing in mind that ANY spoiler will increase downforce by the same amount so it doesn't matter which. Just check, It's true

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:03 PM Edited by Xavierr, 19 June 2014 - 09:04 PM.

The elegy has a lot of understeer, just like in Forza. So I guess it's not that op

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Some one/thing has to be first. Besides, Elegy isn't that OP, just that its weaknesses (braking) are easier to manage for most players. Also, this applies to all cars, so whatever advantage Elegy gets, is negated.

Yes it is OP!  The traction is so good that you can take corners without braking!  All the real skillful racers say that it's OP.  Oh did I mention, it's FREE!  Anyway, I hope it's true that it will be moved to super.  And the only thing more OP than the Elegy is the Z Type.

Daimondl
  • Daimondl

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Bearing in mind that ANY spoiler will increase downforce by the same amount so it doesn't matter which. Just check, It's true

Indeed, adding the huge GT ones is just the same as a small carbon one. You waste more money for the same increase in traction and I like that.

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

What about cars that already had the spoiler 'upgrades', do they get the boost, or do you have to rebuy them?

Do you mean like if you had a spoiler on your car before the update?  Because if that's the case then I'm pretty sure you do not have to buy them again.

Inbred Walrus
  • Inbred Walrus

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Do you mean like if you had a spoiler on your car before the update?  Because if that's the case then I'm pretty sure you do not have to buy them again.

I can confirm you do not need to buy the spoiler again if you had one equipped before the update. A few of my cars that had a custom spoiler on before the update have higher traction and I've done nothing to them. On my Comet, the traction is a little more than 4 bars but its traction used to be at about 4 bars/under 4 bars.

• RDT33 likes this

Ballistic Jello
  • Ballistic Jello

Retired BF3 tanker

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Does this means that top speed also DECREASES too??
Because you know...Too much downforce does that, specially if you have a underpowered car with a massive GT wing

Now you're pushing it. Don't make R* their brains explode on this one dude.

They did say spoilers, armour and costum tires all made a tiny difference in handling. Maybe its always been like this.
Actually they said armor does not affect vehicle mass, and that wheel type affects traction.

I don't believe there has been any official comment about custom tires one way or the other.

Epsilon_Program
  • Epsilon_Program

KIFFLOM

• Members
  • Fiji

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

Cue to all 12yrs old kids putting massive racing spoilers in Pantos, Warreners, Futos, anything that can generate a massive downforce...

Racing spoilers would always increase downforce. Most of the car on this game it would just make heavy and give no positive affect whatsoever.

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

this is great

now my cars won't only LOOK like track racers, but will also perform differently

now these boring hipsters can finally shut the f*ck up with their hotwheels propaganda

That's all about having a racey car, so no, your spoiler would not make me forget that you like Hotwheels racey cars.

Nice reference tho. Go buy a "cul8r" or "2fast" or some other lame-ass name for those cars.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Why? Because cash cards...

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:37 PM Edited by B3astGTS, 19 June 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Spoilers have always had a physics impact. Learned this from doing the stunt jump through the Jetty. Stock Feltzer had a lot more roll and twist while mid air while my custom Feltzer with the highest level spoiler was much easier to control. I wonder if the traction bar update is for a new stat boost or whether it is just finally showing the impact the spoiler has.

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Spoilers have always had a physics impact. Learned this from doing the stunt jump through the Jetty. Stock Feltzer had a lot more roll and twist while mid air while my custom Feltzer with the highest level spoiler was much easier to control. I wonder if the traction bar update is for a new stat boost or whether it is just finally showing the impact the spoiler has.

The only thing is that in that hot lap thread that I posted everyone had a spoiler on their cars before the update.  Suddenly they are seeing massive improvements in times.

hentai_posse
  • hentai_posse

Soldier

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:47 PM

only reason this is good is because it further helps the comet in staying top of the sports class
have noticed that it feels a teeny bit more attached to the road these last 2 days :p

What? Comet is a good car but no way is it a top sports car. Massacro, Feltzer, Jester and Elegy are all better. I would own one since I loved it in GTA4 but I can't stand spoilers and it's beaten by a good racer in any of the top four I just mentioned.

actually statistically wise it is, it has top acceleration in the sports class behind the elegy and has the highest top speed behind the rapid gt
the only thing that lets it down is its tendency to fishtail but it still has ridiculous responsiveness when steering and if you can master a brake pattern to avoid the rear end slipping out around corners you will be on top :D

gorskiegangsta
  • gorskiegangsta

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:15 AM Edited by gorskiegangsta, 20 June 2014 - 12:32 AM.

Yes it is OP!  The traction is so good that you can take corners without braking!  All the real skillful racers say that it's OP.  Oh did I mention, it's FREE!  Anyway, I hope it's true that it will be moved to super.  And the only thing more OP than the Elegy is the Z Type.

Z-Type is OP because its performance doesn't accurately reflect that of its IRL counterpart. There's no way Type 57 (<200HP, ~120Mph) can thrash Miura (~360HP, 170Mph) on any track. R* purposely made it OP for no other reason than to reflect its price tag. By contrast, IRL, the GTR thrashes supers like original Koeniggsegg and Veyron on benchmark tracks like the Nurburgring, while only costing 1/6th-1.12th as much, so no, the Elegy isn't OP, because it serves as an accurate representation of the GTR. As far as moving it to supers, I'm all for it, since the GTR is considered a 'Japanese supercar' IRL.

Yes that is what I meant. That's good to hear.

only reason this is good is because it further helps the comet in staying top of the sports class
have noticed that it feels a teeny bit more attached to the road these last 2 days  :p

What? Comet is a good car but no way is it a top sports car. Massacro, Feltzer, Jester and Elegy are all better. I would own one since I loved it in GTA4 but I can't stand spoilers and it's beaten by a good racer in any of the top four I just mentioned.

actually statistically wise it is, it has top acceleration in the sports class behind the elegy and has the highest top speed behind the rapid gt
the only thing that lets it down is its tendency to fishtail but it still has ridiculous responsiveness when steering and if you can master a brake pattern to avoid the rear end slipping out around corners you will be on top  :D

Unfortunately, that isn't even close to being true.

Top Speed (sports): Carbonizzare > Jester > 9F > Surano/Alpha >> Comet

Acceleration (sports): Rapid GT > Carbonizzare/Massacro > Banshee > Surano/Feltzer/Alpha/Comet

MichaelW
  • MichaelW

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Do really big spoilers help more than smaller spoilers?

Yes. The bigger the spoiler, the more downforce created. Although, if we were being technical, some spoilers are adjustable so you can have similar downforce to a GT wing or an equivalent from something that is half the size by adjusting the angle of the wing. The more the surface faces the oncoming air, the more downforce generated. 

If GTA was to be more technical, the rear diffusers on some vehicles that come as standard or can be added on as modifications would also improve traction also. Generally speaking, they're mostly for show. 

Epsilon_Program
  • Epsilon_Program

KIFFLOM

• Members
  • Fiji

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

Just remember guys, a bigger spoiler won't always make you faster/have better downforce.

Top Gear.

i201131.jpg

MichaelW
  • MichaelW

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Not really, no. Downforce can be increased or decreased by increasing or decreasing the angle of attack of the rear wing, much like an aircraft comes into land nose high to increase the angle of attack to increase drag and slow the aircraft down. And as with aircraft wings, a larger surface provides more drag or downforce. A wing with a greater surface area will produce more downforce than one that doesn't. This is largely applicable for rear wings and spoilers that are not adjustable. 

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

Just remember guys, a bigger spoiler won't always make you faster/have better downforce.

Top Gear.

i201131.jpg

Keeping in mind that the car is FWD with a wing designed to create more than 1000lbs of downforce that is obviously a stupid idea alone. Never mind doing it without a wing on the front. Also, saying that a large wing doesn't make you faster and then using an example from a show who's hosts obviously don't know much about downforce is about as stupid as that wing placement.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

Z-Type is OP because its performance doesn't accurately reflect that of its IRL counterpart. There's no way Type 57 (<200HP, ~120Mph) can thrash Miura (~360HP, 170Mph) on any track. R* purposely made it OP for no other reason than to reflect its price tag. By contrast, IRL, the GTR thrashes supers like original Koeniggsegg and Veyron on benchmark tracks like the Nurburgring, while only costing 1/6th-1.12th as much, so no, the Elegy isn't OP, because it serves as an accurate representation of the GTR. As far as moving it to supers, I'm all for it, since the GTR is considered a 'Japanese supercar' IRL.

While that is true, the Elegy can demolish any car stock and it's FREE!  It would be different if it costed 90k.  But still, it's OP in the sense that the grip is just insane.  The Elegy is so good that unless you are a very good driver, you will always lose to one.  In my opinion, the best car should be the one that takes the most skill to use.  High risk, High reward.

OriginalCharacter
  • OriginalCharacter

Gay Street Racer [RETIRED]

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

this is great

now my cars won't only LOOK like track racers, but will also perform differently

now these boring hipsters can finally shut the f*ck up with their hotwheels propaganda

That's all about having a racey car, so no, your spoiler would not make me forget that you like Hotwheels racey cars.

Nice reference tho. Go buy a "cul8r" or "2fast" or some other lame-ass name for those cars.

i suppose you think Le Mans racers and italian cars are hotwheels replicas too, yes?

idiot...

• Xavierr likes this

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

this is great

i suppose you think Le Mans racers and italian cars are hotwheels replicas too, yes?

idiot...

No, because they're race cars. On racetracks.

Not the city streets. Smartass.

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

None of my hot wheels had spoilers. Just sayin'

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:46 AM Edited by 8up local, 20 June 2014 - 01:48 AM.

haven't read the whole thread yet, but if spoilers add downforce aiding in traction it would be nice to see a decrease in top speed and maybe accel just a touch. seems like a even trade which should make things mute, so it would be kinda pointless, but i think it would be nice to have. then it would bring another aspect to figure in when now just about everyone will put the most expensive one on just to to stay on par with the other guy.

one thing is for sure, PV's will stand out even more now.

RedRyder2142
  • RedRyder2142

Overflod Proprietor and Benefactor Co Owner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Spoilers are tasteless? LOOOOOOOOOOL oh my god this forum is full of f*cking retards.

Please post your cars so I can see how much "taste" ya'll have hahahahahahahaah holy f*ck.

0_0.jpg

I hope you all throw up and choke on it.

Best garage ever (Next to my beast of a Garage)

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

Damn that sucks big time! No more racing for me then cause im not gona spoil my cars putting that ugly thing back there damn.

lukeskateboards
  • lukeskateboards

Gear Head

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:16 AM Edited by lukeskateboards, 20 June 2014 - 04:16 AM.

Lets hope they move the RH8 to super and give it some of this:

Nissan-GT-R-GT3-Side-Shot.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users