Photo

Car Spoilers Increase Performance

187 replies to this topic
AlienOne
  • AlienOne

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:39 PM Edited by AlienOne, 19 June 2014 - 01:42 PM.

...Were the spoilers always so expensive..?

yes

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Does this means that top speed also DECREASES too??
Because you know...Too much downforce does that, specially if you have a underpowered car with a massive GT wing

Now you're pushing it. Don't make R* their brains explode on this one dude.

They did say spoilers, armour and costum tires all made a tiny difference in handling. Maybe its always been like this.

• MookStunna likes this

KeeNer187
  • KeeNer187

-_-

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Do really big spoilers help more than smaller spoilers?

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

...Where the spoilers always so expensive..?

yes

Spoilers where never that much.  Not sure about the Elegy.

But i know 100% that for most of my cars they where always like $1000 -$5000 range.    

alijahgreen
  • alijahgreen

Boss of all bosses

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Metal does it better than a spoiler  OP tame any uncontrollable vehicle with the combination of the two

AlienOne
  • AlienOne

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

...Where the spoilers always so expensive..?

yes

Spoilers where never that much.  Not sure about the Elegy.

But i know 100% that for most of my cars they where always like $1000 -$5000 range.    
Coquette's GT Wing costs around 15k

sebcreed
  • sebcreed

VANS Society VP

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

I didn't know this, thanks for posting it. Good thing I can't get enough of spoilers!

pedinhuh
  • pedinhuh

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Because you know...Too much downforce does that, specially if you have a underpowered car with a massive GT wing

Now you're pushing it. Don't make R* their brains explode on this one dude.

They did say spoilers, armour and costum tires all made a tiny difference in handling. Maybe its always been like this.

Armors makes the car heavier and custom tyres gives more handling right??
If so I'm removing the armor on my Turismo(I only use that car for races anyway)

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:48 PM Edited by Ninja_Gear, 19 June 2014 - 01:50 PM.

The traction of these cars with spoilers is over 9000!

CKPGR.jpg

The golden age of the spoilers has returned.

• ZeusMowat_278, staticguy, RoachKiller_416 and 4 others like this

Mishimotsu
  • Mishimotsu

"Kyoufu Wo Oshiete Yarou!"

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Wow, this is neat, but a bit annoying since I'm not a huge fan of spoilers, especially huge ones. I don't mind a small spoiler.

I just hope that any spoiler is good enough, I'd hate to have to add the huge ridiculous looking spoilers for it to actually make a difference.

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Do really big spoilers help more than smaller spoilers?

If you scroll down the spoiler list you can see the bar go up ever so slightly each passing spoiler option.  For some reason if you click up directly to the GT Wing it doesn't show, but if you click up again the change on the traction bar shows up.

• KeeNer187 likes this

ENZ0
  • ENZ0

Trick

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

This
  • pedinhuh likes this

bensons
  • bensons

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

nice one RD

• RDT33 likes this

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

True Vengeance is granted through serrated blades.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:06 PM Edited by Zorvaine, 19 June 2014 - 02:10 PM.

If it barely adds that 0.01% Traction increase who would really bother? Honestly. 

My take on this: Don't force yourself on getting one (especially if you dislike spoilers) since it makes a very small difference. 

• adamsowilliams, RoachKiller_416 and Cmdr_Shepherd like this

OriginalCharacter
  • OriginalCharacter

Gay Street Racer [RETIRED]

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

this is great

now my cars won't only LOOK like track racers, but will also perform differently

now these boring hipsters can finally shut the f*ck up with their hotwheels propaganda

adamsowilliams
  • adamsowilliams

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

i was wondering this after seeing 'increases downforce' added to LSC description. good to know!

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

If it barely adds that 0.01% Traction increase who would really bother? Honestly. 

My take on this: Don't force yourself on getting one (especially if you dislike spoilers) since it makes a very small difference. 

Traction is key in this game and I've already decreased certain times by whole seconds.  But you are absolutely right.  Do what feels comfortable because some people don't even like a car that's TOO grippy.  I mean the Elegy is just stupid now.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Good to know but not gonna make me add ridiculous spoilers. I like a modest look, midrange is as far as I am willing to go.
  • RDT33 likes this

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

Easy like Monday morning

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

What do I think? Skeptical, that's what.

Nope, its legit. You can see the slider bar increase in LSC when you hover over it.

I'm told that all spoilers increase traction by the same amount, fwiw.

OriginalCharacter
  • OriginalCharacter

Gay Street Racer [RETIRED]

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

yeah, just tested this all out with my Phoenix, as it's my most tail-heavy car and it already has the daytona wing on it

i actually can see a difference though, it actually feels a bit more controllable than before. it's still tail-heavy but it actually corners a bit better

Coreyandy5
  • Coreyandy5

Jokerz Gang

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm not a huge thread maker, but I thought this was an interesting addition to the game that doesn't seem to have been discussed.

So apparently with the recent update, Rockstar has decided to add some realism to the modification options.  Spoilers actually create downforce.  If you scroll down the spoiler list you can see the traction bar go up slightly.  (I'll edit in crude iPhone pictures in a bit.)  

So what do you all think?  Will you be adding spoilers for that extra leg up in races, or do you prefer to take your chances to have a better looking car?  I for one don't like spoilers on my cars but since my crew is full of try-hards I'll no doubt be forced to put them on for races.

Already had spoilers on because they look better

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

I wonder if they realised that putting a spoiler on the back of a FWD car would decrease traction.

• MookStunna likes this

Inbred Walrus
  • Inbred Walrus

For Mother Russia!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

I tried putting a ricer GT wing on my Elegy and it didn't do sh*t. Am I doing something wrong?

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

I tried putting a ricer GT wing on my Elegy and it didn't do sh*t. Am I doing something wrong?

I know there is some weird thing that if you go directly to the GT Wing from the stock option in the selection screen it doesn't show the change in traction, but other than that I'm not sure.  

Inbred Walrus
  • Inbred Walrus

For Mother Russia!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:01 PM Edited by Inbred Walrus, 19 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

I know there is some weird thing that if you go directly to the GT Wing from the stock option in the selection screen it doesn't show the change in traction, but other than that I'm not sure.  

Ok I'm going to try it again right now. I'll post my results in a minute.

Alright, it DOES seem to increase traction. It doesn't matter what type of spoiler you use, just as long as you equip a spoiler that isn't the default spoiler (if the car comes with one). So a small lip spoiler would increase the traction just as much as a GT wing.

• RDT33 likes this

wally1990
  • wally1990

Best thing since bread slicers

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:06 PM Edited by wally1990, 19 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Wow, thanks for the great info. Definitely a good addition from R*.

I'm also now thankful I was stupid / brilliantly insightful (your pick) when buying two Massacros (or however you spell it, CBA to check), making one my Aston Martin James Bond DB9/Vantage love machine, and the other my awesome Aston racer.

MatthewH
  • MatthewH

Wolf Fanatic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

Just took my massacro into LSC and looked at the spoiler section. I went through the list of spoilers and the most expensive spoiler didn't add anymore traction than the cheapest one.

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just took my massacro into LSC and looked at the spoiler section. I went through the list of spoilers and the most expensive spoiler didn't add anymore traction than the cheapest one.

Ok cool.  Thanks everyone for double checking that.  Guess I wasn't looking close enough, haha.

• MatthewH likes this

ShiviSRT-10
  • ShiviSRT-10

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:43 PM Edited by ShiviSRT-10, 19 June 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Personally, I've always thought they did add traction...same as I think that taking the roof down on a convertible lowers traction and having four+ people in a car slows acceleration (Edit) + handling is more sluggish :p

Mishimotsu
  • Mishimotsu

"Kyoufu Wo Oshiete Yarou!"

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Personally, I've always thought they did add traction...same as I think that taking the roof down on a convertible lowers traction and having four+ people in a car slows acceleration (Edit) + handling is more sluggish :p

I think the weight thing is true… but in cars only really kicks in when 4 are in the car and it's a particularly slow 4 door.

You can quite obviously tell when 2 are on the bike the difference, that's probably because you're adding like 1/2 the weight onto it again so it'll dramatically change performance. Whereas in a car (especially a super) adding one more person won't make a big difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users