Quantcast

» «
Photo

What games have exceeded your expectations?

65 replies to this topic
tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

We had what games have disappointed you, so now we have what games went above and beyond what you were expecting. 

I hated fallout 3 at first (my 1st game in the series) so i returned it to blockbuster almost immediately. 

Tried it again later on out of boredom and i loved it. 

• El Diablo likes this

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Saints Row 3, got a lot of hate from people but it was one of my favorite games, possibly a top 30 or so.. especially since I was playing it with a buddy

Journey, bought the game thinking it was just a small game that I'd forget about quickly... I was wrong, I can see why it got all those awards

Catherine, didn't even think I'd get far into the game.. but no matter how difficult it was, the ending was rewarding, definitely an overlooked game

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, didn't wanna fall for all the hype the game was getting pre-release, bought it.. loved it

List goes on and on but those are ones I can think of right off the top of my head.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

inFamous 2. got it just because it was cheap and didn't look that bad. turned out to be an awesome game. gameplay-wise, story-wise, overall really good  :^: -IGN

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Saints Row IV. Really enjoying the game right now.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Far Cry 3

Sleeping Dogs

Far Cry 3

I bought Far Cry 2 when it came out and it had the bug that corrupted your save files, making completing the game almost impossible.  This was common and it took them months to release a patch for it.  By that time though the store I bought the game from had given me a full refund.  I had concluded that Ubisoft were not to be trusted.  Far Cry 3 was fantastic though.

Sleeping Dogs

I recall playing the first True Crime game and thinking it was utter garbage.  Combine that with Sleeping Dog's troubled development and unflattering gameplay videos and I honestly expected to hate it.  In fact I really liked it and forgave it's simplistic vehicle physics.  I thought the combat, while a less refined take on the Arkham series' combat, was fun and the story was engrossing.  No doubt it helps that I grew up with a love for Hong Kong cinema.

• Mister Pink likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

It is hard to do such a feat unless you purposely stay clear of any hype and try not to keep up with the info.

Deus Ex: HR and Sleeping Dogs, I didn't really have too riding on those being good, infact Deus Ex wasn't even on my radar, decided to buy it and it was a f*cking amazing experience.

Minecraft is a big one as well. I barely knew what the thing was before it was out on the 360, I had no idea it was so popular, I grabbed it only because a few other people were banging on about it. So I thought, if it is co-op at least I might get some fun out of it. Turned out to be, well, it's minecraft.

I don't know if I can list Fallout NV, Blood Dragon, Skyrim, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc. Because I already knew they would meet my expectations.

However I guess they did exceed that as well so I guess you could list those.

Fallout 3 for sure, as I really was on the fence, I didn't buy it on launch, left it till the year after. Got it and was not fully convinced if I would like it.

Turned out to be probably the best game of all time, and is still the most gameplay you can get out of any one game I have ever seen.

Blood Dragon exceeded my expectations, but I already knew it would be amazing, so having it exceed that pretty much confirms it was one of the best games of all time.

Payday 2 as well. I didn't know much about it, I really wanted the first but I think there was mixed feelings with it. It also never came out on 360, the 2nd finally did. And boom. Game of the year for me with Blood Dragon.

So yeah, those.

• Mister Pink likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM Edited by Th3MaN1, 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM.

When I saw Max Payne 3 for the first time, being bald and sh*t, I thought I was going to shoot myself. But when I saw the first trailer and gameplay videos, I gave the game a chance. Well, surprise surprise, I f*cking love that game.

Sleeping Dogs seemed like a generic open-world game, but the fighting and the story in that game was really worth it for me to play through.

I jumped into Fallout 2 a week ago; haven't touched it since because of it's difficulty, but I can safely say that game is a masterpiece every single f*cking way.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Winning001
  • Winning001

Followin' the damn train since '92

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

GTA O exceeded my expectations of having more bugs and glitches than Driv3r

• Shenmue18 likes this

hvcciookay
  • hvcciookay

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Definitely Diablo 3 on console. O bought it to hold together time without internet and ended up loving it. Was wary of how it would work on console but it's pretty amazing!

Warhammer Battle March is awesome too for 360. Hundreds of models om screen, great control scheme (although if your not used to rts's in general, stay away), and fun skirmishes against ai. Balancing is spot on considering how many different units there are for each faction and sub faction.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Ruckus In B Minor

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  Unfortunately didnt get to finish it but what a game!

• Daz and John The Grudge like this

Coin
  • Coin

Game Over

• The Connection
  • Red-Cross

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

GTA V & Skyrim - Predecessors to both games were disappointing to me (though GTA IV was at least enjoyable in parts, where Oblivion was just a hot mess) so my expectations were already pretty low. Both games righted wrongs and smashed my expectations candidly.

Europa Universalis 3: My first foray into more complex grand strategy games compared to Total War which was my previous experiences. Took a little while to get into, but I've since been hooked on Paradox games and I find it impossible to go back to the Total War franchise now because they're hilariously simple and unrewarding in comparison for me.

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row, and Saints Row 2.

EagleStrike
  • EagleStrike

Shalissa

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Deus Ex HR, RDR and Saints row 2

Deus Ex: I was hineslty expecting another fps but man did I love this game. I got it a week after it released and Blockbuster was closing down and I bought it from there.

RDR: I was expecting GTA with horses but it was so much more. I loved the story, gameplay was smooth and everything.

Saints Row 2: I played it last year as it was a PS Us thing and I didn't like it. Fast forward a year later and I played through the whole game and still go back to it from time to time.

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

Unique vehicle collector - not a bragger about this

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

Saints Row 2. I got my copy along with certain gaming magazine and I really enjoyed the game. Then, I decided to buy SR3 and 1.5 year later - SR4.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Mass Effect. Groundbreaking and well beyond my expectations.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Saints Row IV for sure. I thought that super powers, aliens, and all sorts of new stupid crap would ruin Saints Row forever. Turns out it's probably one of the more enjoyable games I played last year.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:04 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 19 June 2014 - 05:04 PM.

The Stanley Parable was my first Indie game and I was a bit skeptical at first but I ended up loving it.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

GTA V for me. It was my introduction to the series.

Since I mostly play horror games, I wasn't sure if I would like GTA V. I took a gamble on it and I'm so glad I did, as I absolutely love it. I bought the 3D era trilogy and IV very soon after.

mareepx
  • mareepx

GTAF's Jennifer Lawrence fanboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'd never heard of the Fallout series until a friend told me about Fallout 3. I wasn't too interested but i lent it off him anyway and I loved it.

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag- Didn't really like AC3 but it was only £18 on the PS Store so I bought it and it was actually really good.

Split Second- expected a half assed racing game (cmon, disney made it) but it is probably one of my favourite games of all time, still play split screen vs my mates, it's so much fun.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Batman: Arkham Asylum. I love Batman, but they've never gotten the character, and atmosphere right for video games. AA completely nailed it. Absolutely crushed it. I am adamant that it's the perfect game. There is no possible way that game's story and gameplay could fit more perfectly together, and still be as enjoyable. And it was written by Paul Dini, voiced by actors from the Animated Series. It just destroyed my expectations. Arkham City is technically the better game, but AA is as good as it gets. It's responsible for my renewed love for Batman Comics.

Andrew1980
  • Andrew1980

Rat

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Deus Ex : Human Revolution 

Got it cheap from the local store. Didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised!!

Great game.. one of the best FPS I've ever played. Can't wait for the next one  :lol:

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:55 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 19 June 2014 - 05:56 PM.

Saints Row 2,Gears of War 1/2 (not 3) and GTA5.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Alpha Protocol. I've never heard or read anything good about this game, but I thought it was a great experience.. Stealth and gun play was cool, what got me was choosing your dialogue. Not as bad as people put it to be, honestly.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - It's just pure fun ! Not to mention I am a fan of LA Noire and MAFIA series, so that's a huge plus for me ! Many compared this to Mass Effect, but I won't. Because for me the cutscenes you have during the dialog sessions are boring and felt unnatural in Mass Effect but not so in The Bureau. Also, the Squad System is actually better than the confusing Squad System in Mass Effect 1. 

ric4rd094
  • ric4rd094

Remember who you are... :)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:28 PM Edited by ric4rd094, 19 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Recent ones:

- Wolfenstein The New Order
I thought it will be a letdown like Duke Nukem Forever but suprisingly it was awesome for me :)
- Dishonored
I knew there's a game like that but didn't paid attention. Finally I gave it a chance. I have to say that Dishonored is in my top 5 stealth games now :)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

Fallout 1 and 2. 

When my friend brought me them back in 1999 I haven't seen anything special there. Some rather strange games with a lot of text. Soon they became one of my most beloved games and my love for the series started. 

SR as a whole.

It was always shown as a copy of SA, made by company which wanted piece of the R* pie. It appears that SR were quite cool games with a lot of new and fresh ideas really worth playing. Series ventured into some strange grounds, but even the recent parts can give you some fun.

DNF.

Marketed as a catastrophe and worst game ever made. I've bought it cheaply and spent many hours having fun with the game. Far from being the best, but also not as bad as some people are trying to imply. 

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:09 PM Edited by Dutch Psycho, 20 June 2014 - 05:08 AM.

Mass effect and borderlands. Low expectations at first but turned out to one of my favorite game series. Also ME got me in to the action-rpg genre.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:40 PM Edited by W2B, 19 June 2014 - 10:59 PM.

Half-Life (and its two expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift). Didn't expect the game to be that good back then and I wasn't a huge shooter fan in those days, but I gave it a chance and I ended up loving every second of all 3 games. I also remember loving the new improved graphics that came with Blue Shift; made everything look so damn good!

Half-Life 2 (and the two episodes). I knew HL2 was going to be an excellent game, but it was even better than I expected. Still the best shooter imo.

Half-Life 3. ;)
  • Failure likes this

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:35 PM Edited by VanillaIce, 19 June 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Mafia 2 - everyone Slated it and still do i got it and i Absolutely love it.

Sleeping Dogs 

True Crime L.A - For a game from 2003 i thought it was Highly Underrated and still to this day Fun to Play.

Saints Row 1 - i thought it was just going to be a Poor Mans Gta but looking back it Really was a  good game and it put San Andreas to shame IMO 

L.A Noire - i Hate Heavy Rain with a passion and i thought la noire was not going to be much Different but it Proved me Wrong and turned out to be a great game.

• matajuegos01 likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

So this is the American Dream?

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

GTA IV:

I didn't expect it to be SA 2.0 hence why I love the game for what it is rather than what it isn't. The detail, atmosphere, Niko's character etc put the 3D era to shame IMO.

• Failure, Shenmue18 and ric4rd094 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users