Photo

GTA V Horses?

64 replies to this topic
DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

No I don't think horses were ever seriously considered for the full launch of the game. Implementing horses is way too heavy a toll on resources and time to only really use for brief periods in certain missions, and it wouldn't make sense in free-roam.

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

No I don't think horses were ever seriously considered for the full launch of the game. Implementing horses is way too heavy a toll on resources and time to only really use for brief periods in certain missions, and it wouldn't make sense in free-roam.

Watch when they put them in PC and Next Gen Version and tell PC players to mod the map to RDR's and say, Here's your port

DJ Insanity
  • DJ Insanity

Hustler

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Do you think that Horses in the game were ever on the table when developing GTA V?

I'd love to see them in the GTA V PC/PS4/Xbone version as part of the "new wildlife" 

If not, im sure there will be a mod in the PC version 

I'm sure horses will arrive it seems pretty pointless to build a horse track without horses.

• MichaelPayneV likes this

V 9 L U K 3 4 V
  • V 9 L U K 3 4 V

v 9 L u k E 4 V

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

are rockstar actually aware the fans want horses ? 

• MichaelPayneV likes this

mobe
  • mobe

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

I suspect it'll never happen. The horse AI in RDR was incredibly complex. The programming that went into keeping the horse from not wanting to walk over cliff edges or go down steep slopes took a ton of programming time. On top of that there's all the additional AI programming needed for any horse in the game to react to the much more complex environment of GTA. Its a nice idea but the reality of it is not that many players would ever really use a horse with all the other distraction in the game. It would never be value for money for Rockstar when the time and effort and ultimately money could be put into something that people would find more useful and fun. 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

You know this question actually kinda made me think for a minute about something. The mentality of these forums is that we are the vast majority and our wishes are what all fans want.

The reality is that we are no more than a decimal point of a percentage of the full total of people who play and enjoy their games. How arrogant are we to assume that they pay attention to these forums and honestly listen to us? Well the odds are not likely at all.

And in some regards I'm glad they don't. I trust their views and direction on their games more than I trust anyone else. If Rockstar feels horses weren't meant to be in V, then it wasn't meant to be.
  • _Klebitz_ likes this

HappyFarmerKit
  • HappyFarmerKit

Maybe we're just sleepwalking.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Pretty sure they were, indeed, cut from the game at some point. One of the objectives of the cut heist, The Sharmoota Job, was to steal a prized horse.

If I recall correctly, someone on this forum also found audio files where Trevor could be heard saying "Whoa, horsie!" as well as audio files of the police saying things along the lines of "Suspect is escaping on a black horse!", "Suspect is escaping on a white horse!", etc.

• Acetaminophen likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:10 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 19 June 2014 - 11:10 PM.

@DaRkL3AD3R

How is it arrogant? R* has definitely been here before, and it's just something developers do and all artists do. When you want to know how people feel about something you create, you go where they're talking about it.

And why are you talking about how R* feels? That seems more arrogant than anything else. Anybody who's been to certain parts of LA, sees where horses could've fit in. Why would R* include these areas if horses weren't meant to be in the game? There are probably too many reasons why R* left them out. A lot of stuff was clearly left out, but talking about how they felt, contradicts the proof in the game itself. 

• capomertadon likes this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I own my own pet virus I get to pet and name her

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Yes many horse sound effects were found in the games code. 

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:12 AM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 20 June 2014 - 12:13 AM.

No if they didn't put horses in last gen version it shouldn't be in next gen version

Sorry but your point has no point at all ... "PC and CG version shouldn't have better graphics or extra animations, because LG consoles didn't get them either" ... sure, let's keep the evolution frozen just because some piece of outdated hardware can't handle new things. If R* wants the same people to buy the same game again, they need to make a big effort to grab their attention... and not selling the same refurbished junk with prettier graphics even more expensive then it was before. "Hey guys just go out and grab the same old 50 game for 80 to play the exact same thing you already did but with better textures"... nice marketing you got there.

You know this question actually kinda made me think for a minute about something. The mentality of these forums is that we are the vast majority and our wishes are what all fans want.

The reality is that we are no more than a decimal point of a percentage of the full total of people who play and enjoy their games. How arrogant are we to assume that they pay attention to these forums and honestly listen to us? Well the odds are not likely at all.

And in some regards I'm glad they don't. I trust their views and direction on their games more than I trust anyone else. If Rockstar feels horses weren't meant to be in V, then it wasn't meant to be.

Ok if you believe and you say so, I'm not going to bother explaining it for the hundredth time why you're wrong.
  • evd and capomertadon like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:18 AM Edited by _Kindled_, 20 June 2014 - 12:25 AM.

No if they didn't put horses in last gen version it shouldnt be in next gen version

Yep. That's the same thing with more vegetation, more traffic, and yes, more animals. If they weren't in the LG version, wouldn't they not be in the CG version, at all, either. The point of this new platform is to add more things, not to keep exactly the same sh*t they had on the last gen version. Otherwise, what would become the point of taking the game to the new platforms, anyway?

You don't know that Rockstar listens to their fans? What kind of company would they be if they didn't? A sh*tty one. That's one of the main reasons we have some of the details and activities in GTA V. Because Rockstar took advice from their fans. 

And yes, they literally pay attention to these forums.

It isn't fake, in case you were wondering.

OUTFIT
  • OUTFIT

BIG Empire

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

It's be funny to see criminals riding horses again. I'm pretty sure there's stalls and other horse like things around the map. R* could find a place for them like they did the cows. Not sure if they could make them rideable or not

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

I don't think so. This is Los Santos (Los Angeles), not the wild west like Red Dead Redemption.

No one in LA in the last 100 years has ridden a horse. FACT. 

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be in the game. They have a horse racing track and various stables dotted around Blaine County. It feels weird that there's no horses. 

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

The absence of (rideable) horses is my single biggest disappointment with V. Christ, it could've have been great.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

warlord GTAV
  • warlord GTAV

Wizard

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

fukn horses should of been in the game from day one..rockstar has there sh*t together with horses(red dead) why they left them out is obvious now.because we got the cut version or the best demo game ever to be realeased

• davetopper and strakan7 like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'd rather ride an Elk to be honest. 

warlord GTAV
  • warlord GTAV

Wizard

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

yeah because an elk would be more fun then riding a horse around blaine county or up mt chill..???????

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

The horse AI in RDR was incredibly complex. The programming that went into keeping the horse from not wanting to walk over cliff edges or go down steep slopes took a ton of programming time. On top of that there's all the additional AI programming needed for any horse in the game to react to the much more complex environment of GTA. 

RDR was made in the RAGE engine, so I don't see it being particularly difficult to add into... the RAGE Engine adapted for V.

It'd take a bunch of QA to make sure it's working right, but it's really not that much of a stretch. 

weidncol
  • weidncol

World Trade Center Mod Manager

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

Horses will definitely be in this iteration of GTA V, along with other cut objects/features. It was cut only for the game we have now due to hardware limitations, but on the PS4/X1/PC versions they have had since 2012 to build upon the non-cut version of the game.

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

If they AI for horses is as complex as you say, they could at least have them in barns or in fields eating. I can see riding horses being a pain in the ass to program. Waaaay too many things in the game that would need animations and whatnot like bicycles, four wheelers, big trucks, helicopters etc.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

I hope so, however being able to ride one would be too "Read Dead Redemption-ish"

Why? The country parts should've had horses. It might've helped this game-but I doubt it.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Horse riding on the Vinewood Hills would've been amazing.

And yes, some person investigated GTA V files, and he found the AI, model, and textures for horses.

BlackAce23
  • BlackAce23

The "Ambitious" One

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Yea i was shocked when i first played this game and drive out to the country where the ranches are and wasn't even one horse lol. Another animal i thought would be in this game would be bears and don't give me that theres no bears in irl california as its a game and anything can be added in but its honestly not that big of a deal to me i just wish that animals could've been added online to make online feel fuller but it could happen on the next gen.

Tuskin38
  • Tuskin38

Be Yourself is best advice anyone can give.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

According to data on the discs, almost everything needed for horses is in the game except the actual horse model.

There is even a weapon icon for the laso.
  • Kampret likes this

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Do you think that Horses in the game were ever on the table when developing GTA V?

Oh I really do hope so. Horses were great in RDR. I loved the sound they made when you shot them.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

It's either hardware limitations (i don't think so), half-baked feature, or inevitable bugs.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

All you guys criticizing my statement, the point of my post flew over your heads completely.

The point was that we as a community are not even a full percentage of the total sales of GTA V. How big is this community? Is it even 100k unique regular participating members? I f*cking doubt it. Probably about 3,000 or less active regulars.

What the f*ck is that against 33 million? Its nothing. That is the point I was making. That why should our 3,000 or less fan opinions overrule their direction which is aimed at those 32,997,000 other players?

Yes, that is arrogant.
  • _Klebitz_ likes this

Rockstargames691
  • Rockstargames691

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

This time around I think horses will make the cut! :)

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

All you guys criticizing my statement, the point of my post flew over your heads completely.

The point was that we as a community are not even a full percentage of the total sales of GTA V. How big is this community? Is it even 100k unique regular participating members? I f*cking doubt it. Probably about 3,000 or less active regulars.

What the f*ck is that against 33 million? Its nothing. That is the point I was making. That why should our 3,000 or less fan opinions overrule their direction which is aimed at those 32,997,000 other players?

Yes, that is arrogant.

Do you even know how statistics are made? Do you know how developers know what their fans want? Do you think they get the information from millions of people? Do you think they send emails to every person registered on Social Club asking what they want?

They have people to scout around big forums, like this one and others to know what people want, what people think about it, what they should do... thats what they do and how things work. This forum doesn't decide what is better or worst for the franchise, but is very important because many of the rumors and stories on the Internet start here and spread to others, which turn the global thinking into something very similar.

Despite of knowing that there are Rockstar employees here, why would Rockstar Toronto create an account here to clarify the problems people got with IV release? Why do you think they bothered to some here and collect feedback from people in this forum in order to fix the game problems and why do you think they've posted the patches here even before posting them on Newswire?

According to your line of thinking that wouldn't make any sense, and there were other situations too, but I won't get there I think this is more then enough to show my point.

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, it was suppose to be rideable horses in V, and you could modify it and save it in your garage :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users