Quantcast

» «
Photo

theory why modding might be blocked on pc

117 replies to this topic

Poll: will modding be blocked on pc for real? (241 member(s) have cast votes)

will modding be blocked on pc for real?

1. yes (24 votes [9.96%])

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

2. no (183 votes [75.93%])

Percentage of vote: 75.93%

3. i don't know (34 votes [14.11%])

Percentage of vote: 14.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Ruscris2
  • Ruscris2

Snow Storm

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:23 PM Edited by Ruscris2, 25 June 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Well i have to agree with theNGclan that textures mods would be harmless in online, audio too, but custom models would f*ck up the sync when colliding with them, and there's always the possiblity of someone creating a flat map and win all the races on that. So i'd rather have no mods online then someone breaking my experience. Hopefully Rockstar finds a way to deal with modding and online, like 2 different exe's or something. Sadly there is no way to block cheaters completely, but they can encourage people to mod only the singleplayer, that's why modding support like steam workshop would fix a lot of problems.

• r34ld34l likes this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Well i have to agree with theNGclan that textures mods would be harmless in online, audio too, but custom models would f*ck up the sync when colliding with them, and there's always the possiblity of someone creating a flat map and win all the races on that. So i'd rather have no mods online then someone breaking my experience. Hopefully Rockstar finds a way to deal with modding and online, like 2 different exe's or something. Sadly there is no way to block cheaters completely, but they can encourage people to mod only the singleplayer, that's why modding support like steam workshop would fix a lot of problems.

Custom vehicles could be blocked considering their collision plays a big part in the game. Custom models for characters/guns should be fine.

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

seems a certain individual is so high on his pedestal with his head stuck so far up his own opinion that he fails to realise that R* are taking no prisoners with Online and ANY modification to the game folder being used for playing online WILL get flagged up and potentially result in any consequence R* see fit.

the days of getting away with modding their Online games is over, they WILL defend their microtransaction earnings potential with GTAO, and have already invested time and money into it, time to wake up !!

you will not even be able to add a space to a text file in the common.rpf without alarm bells ringing on their end and a trip to the cheaters pool on our end, if you can even get back online.

• uNi likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:47 PM Edited by Xerukal, 25 June 2014 - 11:49 PM.

The importance of cash cards on PC is being grossly exaggerated. 

Rockstar's long-term money making on console is selling cash cards and DLC.

Rockstar's long-term money making on PC is DLC and mods.

Do you seriously think Rockstar doesn't have knowledge of all the videos of ludicrous mods up on YouTube? All those people showing off huge amounts of player-created content. This stuff sells the game. People see this sh*t and they purchase, or re-purchase, IV just so they can mod. It creates massive intrigue. Go look at Inside Gaming's videos. They got Roman's voice actor to participate in them. It's hilarious, attention-attracting stuff. 

If Rockstar is as rigorous and smart in their money making as you like to say they are, then they know that the advertising of player-created content will sell the game. Because it provokes interest more than any fancy trailer ever could.  

This doesn't mean they'll be relaxed about Online modding, but it also doesn't mean they'll be complete f*cking idiots and clumsily block Story Mode modding for no good reason other than "sorry guys we gotta keep selling cash cards :)". 

• theNGclan likes this

Antaxi
  • Antaxi

Soldier

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:03 PM Edited by Antaxi, 26 June 2014 - 01:06 PM.

Are you even aware on how a mod works? If they are invisible and other players cannot see them, that is a script that makes the player invisible. Scripts WILL be blocked. Now, if the player just replaced certain textures and made them transparent, he would only appear to be invisible on his side, not on the other end.

Seriously if you don't even understand the basics of something as simple as that then you'd be better off not even commenting.

That was my point. That is basics of understanding. Cheater who use simple mods to their advantages. Get that in your thick head.

STILL you didnt explain how makes that a dick move for R* to defend their buyers from cheaters? You know they can make seperate "folders" for online and SP? So if you mod SP map everything is OK. If Online map, you get ban or play in cheater pool or we can have moded server (best option). But... I guess this applies to you: "Seriously if you don't even understand the basics of something as simple as that then you'd be better off not even commenting."
And yes I caught that before your edit.

separate folders for duplicate game files, no good idea it's + ~30-40 gb to entire 30~40 gb gtav game
but folder ''MODS'' can solve all problems (just like in Skyrim, but i doubt, if Rage can handle it)

• r34ld34l and FANTOMTRON like this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Rage could most definitely handle a Mods folder. It'd basically be telling the game to search for model/texture/audio overrides in that folder.

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Do you seriously think Rockstar doesn't have knowledge of all the videos of ludicrous mods up on YouTube? All those people showing off huge amounts of player-created content. This stuff sells the game. People see this sh*t and they purchase, or re-purchase, IV just so they can mod. It creates massive intrigue. Go look at Inside Gaming's videos. They got Roman's voice actor to participate in them. It's hilarious, attention-attracting stuff. 

If Rockstar is as rigorous and smart in their money making as you like to say they are, then they know that the advertising of player-created content will sell the game. Because it provokes interest more than any fancy trailer ever could.  

This doesn't mean they'll be relaxed about Online modding, but it also doesn't mean they'll be complete f*cking idiots and clumsily block Story Mode modding for no good reason other than "sorry guys we gotta keep selling cash cards :)". 

wait they got romans actor where?

hunk41
  • hunk41

Made Man

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

• r34ld34l likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:22 AM Edited by Xerukal, 28 June 2014 - 03:29 AM.

On top of the video posted above, there's also; 

There is huge potential here. People obviously love these videos, and I have no doubt they have sold a noticeable amount of copies to people who were initially disinterested in the style of GTA IV. The exact same could easily happen with V, even without the influence of channels like Inside Gaming. 

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the sales of V will be greatly increased just on the promise of mods alone. Because as soon as ANYONE mentions the PC version, modding is ALWAYS brought up. People expect it at this point, and It's safe to say copies will be sold based on this expectation for seemingly limitless possibilities. 

Like I said, there is no way Rockstar doesn't know about all these mod videos. Especially the Inside Gaming ones, with the attention they've been receiving. 

They must be smart enough to know that the mere mention of a GTA PC version has now become instantly associated with modding. Rockstar plays to the strengths of each platform they go to. Trying to force feed cash cards to the PC community will not work. Simply because the real money comes from a completely different source that is just begging to be used! 

It's not to say that they will give up on the cash cards business model on PC. They won't, most assuredly. But they won't try to force it onto a community that has clearly grown used to it. Again, I don't mean to generalize when I say "community". Since I'm sure there's people who will pay for these things, for whatever reason they may have, I don't judge. But micro-transactions that closely resemble "pay 2 win" are largely hated.

Now of course, you can't just get 3.5 mil GTA dollars and spend them on a tank at level 1. But you sure as sh*t will be able to when you hit the required level. In fact, you'll have 3.5 mil to spend and all you have to do is walk into a store and buy everything. So it's equivalent (in MMO terms) to having a full set of the highest PVP-tier gear waiting for you to hit the level cap, all paid for by real money. 

Isn't there something wrong with that? 

• Sofa likes this

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Contribution Award [Modding]

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Rage could most definitely handle a Mods folder. It'd basically be telling the game to search for model/texture/audio overrides in that folder.

update.rpf m8

• r34ld34l likes this

teninchtoenail
  • teninchtoenail

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Mods completely ruin multiplayer and turn the game into a purely single player experience for anyone wishing to play the game LEGIT.

I also hope I'm not the only one that find it a tad disrespectful that before the game is even released, and before a lot of you have even played it, are talking about modding this and modding that, and "f*ck Rockstar if they won't let me" attitude. 

It is exactly this reason why I am contemplating buying a PS4 purely because of GTA5 and my desire to play it 100% LEGIT.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Wow, Jason Zumwalt looks like Lester Crest.

Cheers.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Mods completely ruin multiplayer and turn the game into a purely single player experience for anyone wishing to play the game LEGIT.

I also hope I'm not the only one that find it a tad disrespectful that before the game is even released, and before a lot of you have even played it, are talking about modding this and modding that, and "f*ck Rockstar if they won't let me" attitude. 

It is exactly this reason why I am contemplating buying a PS4 purely because of GTA5 and my desire to play it 100% LEGIT.

But we will play GTA 5 legit, but after we beat it... "next-gen" fun begins.

halloodog
  • halloodog

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Look M8, They should f*cking do online that stays without modes but do a free mode where you can mod it but without features from ONLINE so it stays successful and it makes every1 happy. What I mean by features from ONLINE is like maybe stock market or the bank, buy cars or some bullsh*t like that. But this lobby or mode is for modding only if you don't have it then you GTFO in to ONLINE.

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Rockstar knows they can't take aways such a key feature of the PC version. They must find a way. 

halloodog
  • halloodog

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Look M8, They should f*cking do online that stays without modes but do a free mode where you can mod it but without features from ONLINE so it stays successful and it makes every1 happy. What I mean by features from ONLINE is like maybe stock market or the bank, buy cars or some bullsh*t like that. But this lobby or mode is for modding only if you don't have it then you GTFO in to ONLINE.

UHM, Brain from the leader of the Lost and Damned -Trevor Philips

Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

I certainly hope not, because games stay alive longer when it is possible to mod the game.

Look at the difference between San Andreas and IV; still lots of people play SA because of mods (for example with the 30.000 new missions for SA with DYOM - yeah shameless advertising :p). IV was a lot more difficult to mod and it died way faster.

I do have faith in the GTA researchers that they will make it modable. ;)

• Threepwood likes this

teninchtoenail
  • teninchtoenail

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:24 PM Edited by teninchtoenail, 28 June 2014 - 10:24 PM.

IV died because of a lack of "sandbox" stuff to do in the game and because of how the controls are sloppy. Has nothing to do with mods.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

IV died because of a lack of "sandbox" stuff to do in the game and because of how the controls are sloppy. Has nothing to do with mods.

It died? Someone forgot to tell me that because i still play it. 

• theNGclan and 78 lil red express like this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

No, you didn't have interest like other people did. Quit speaking of the whole community when you're the minority.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

No, you didn't have interest like other people did. Quit speaking of the whole community when you're the minority.

Actually he is mayority. Yes a lot of people still play GTA IV, but if you compare it to sales, that number is quite tiny thus we are minority.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

Actually he is mayority. Yes a lot of people still play GTA IV, but if you compare it to sales, that number is quite tiny thus we are minority.

He's saying that IV is dead, when in all actuality it is alive and well. Look at threads such as this for an example: http://gtaforums.com...gta5-for-gtany/

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:35 AM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 30 June 2014 - 01:59 AM.

I don't understand this. The title is "theory why modding might be blocked on PC" but yet there's a poll asking if we think modding will be blocked on PC?

Anyway, I don't think modding will be blocked on PC altogether. I think it will mean that once you mod the game you won't be able to go Online.

Plus Rockstar obviously appreciated what modders have done with IV as seen here and here.

Someone however might come up with a way to have mods in SP and still play Online, but disable the mods that would allow an unfair advantage.

• Rockstar Games™ likes this

Rockstar Games™
  • Rockstar Games™

Non Official Forum Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

It will probably have some kind of security system, but it should be bypassable. This is GTA we're talking about, modders will do whatever it takes (even the impossible) to mod GTA V. And Watch_Dogs has already been modded, it's just model switching and vehicle switching, it is very unstable though. It's all up to the PC port devs.

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:53 AM Edited by Sofa, 30 June 2014 - 03:55 AM.

The trend up to now has been a tightening hold on games when it comes to modding. Mods serve the publisher in no way, making a specific product last longer, might hurt sales on other titles and products. It can also cause embarrasment and poor publicity, for example like hot coffee or other undisclosed features.

I really doubt the gaming industry appreciate us much, with the exception of some devs that do, i'd bet modders are viewed as somewhat of a nuisance.

But on topic....regarding SP, it is irrelevant if is "blocked" or not, it will be unblocked locally. In online modding, in my book, is too often indistinguishable (or just plainly is) with cheating, so i won't argue with that.

WalterS_LV
  • WalterS_LV

One ticket to LS please

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:12 AM Edited by Zoidbergs_LV, 30 June 2014 - 08:14 AM.

In my opinion. R* knows that PC community loves to mod GTA games. So I think that for PC there will be 2 separate launchers, one for online and other one for SP. You will be able to mod SP with no problems, but when it comes to Online? The modding will be a strict no. Though this might require 2 installation directories too. but I really think that R* knows what sells those extra copies on PC. I`ve heard that some people only bought GTA4 because they could mod it. And to be honest that was the thing about GTA for me. I played GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas on PC and all of them I modded the hell out of. I think I spent more time modding Vice City than I actually played it. GTA4 was on xbox for me with just a little modding on PC using friends Steam acc. 

EDIT: I would be surprised if R* would announce that the PC version will have a fully integrated Steam Workshop for mod support for SP. That would really boost my decision when I will open up my wallet to pre-order.

• theNGclan likes this

Bodge
  • Bodge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

The trend up to now has been a tightening hold on games when it comes to modding. Mods serve the publisher in no way, making a specific product last longer, might hurt sales on other titles and products. It can also cause embarrasment and poor publicity, for example like hot coffee or other undisclosed features.

I really doubt the gaming industry appreciate us much, with the exception of some devs that do, i'd bet modders are viewed as somewhat of a nuisance.

But on topic....regarding SP, it is irrelevant if is "blocked" or not, it will be unblocked locally. In online modding, in my book, is too often indistinguishable (or just plainly is) with cheating, so i won't argue with that.

The Hot Coffee thing was 100% Rockstar's fault though. They themselves purposely put it in the game and all modders did was turn it on, and regarding "hurt sales" ... Take a look at Skyrim, massive modding community with modding tools Bethesda themselves made, and it's been in the top 10 most played games on steam since late 2012.

• Threepwood likes this

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:42 AM Edited by Sofa, 02 July 2014 - 11:43 AM.

Of course, I agree with you on all points, but the decision comes from elsewhere, i am viewing it with "marketing department" tinted goggles, playing the devils advocate. Marketing is not necessarily rational, but speculative(wildly) and manipulative by definition.

And they did passively finger the modders for hot coffee, subtlety in their wording.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users