Photo

Lazlow Discussion

96 replies to this topic
loki18760
  • loki18760

Truth Seeker

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

I think it's more the point they were showing him as a washed up has been in GTA V.

He even refers to it in his lines in the game. It was satire of what happens when people go on the roller-coaster ride that is celebrity. While the earlier games had him in the prime of his career, where he was in demand, GTA IV was about a depressive atmosphere which he was almost completely ignored. GTA V had him have a comeback but is desperate to keep what he has because he has seen the rock bottom. It simular with Johnny but a different path. It makes sense even if it wasn't as comical as earlier Lazlow 

• Acetaminophen, fac316 and Zello like this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

Lazlow at his best - nothing like this ever happens in V.

People said Lazlow was best in 3, but I dunno... this was my favorite Lazlow skit apart from the one in IV when Lazlow socked the f*cking hot dog vender in the mouth.

• fac316 and EZza2647 like this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

Eh, Lazlow's story's a bit of a rise and fall.  Take it chronologically.

In VCS he was a young intern getting bullied by the host of VRock.  Couzin Ed was a dick, but Lazlow was a bit of a pussy and just let Ed walk all over him.  Then he took over VRock and let it go to his head - he was as cocky and self-assured as he was in GTA3.  He even got a call from a pissed-off Couzin Ed at one point.  But then he got fired for talking sh*t about the Vulture.  Back to looking for a job, he found one on WCTR, and was a little unsure and nervous, just like VRock with Couzin Ed all over again, only with no Couzin Ed to bully him.  He took over the slot previously hosted by a guy who died when Jack Howitzer went ape sh*t on the air and killed him, and was intimidated by Los Santos' sh*ttiest rapper OG Loc.  In '98 he was still doing talk radio, now in Liberty City, and mentioned he'd struck a deal with Donald Love that would take him to the top, and, by GTA3, he WAS at the top with the only talk show on talk radio.  There he could afford to be as cocky and arrogant as possible, and was well-justified in doing so.  He was a success.  He had his own show.  It was a big part of the Love Media empire.  He would get calls from all kinds of crazy people and make fun of them.  Then began his decline.  Some kind of bribery scandal.  He ended up losing his show, and, of course, Donald Love disappeared and all that.  By 2008 he had sunk pretty low, but decided to rebrand himself by starting a new radio show that was all about "integrity," called Integrity 2.0.  Of course, he was REALLY starting to lose his sh*t, and he just wasn't doing himself any favors, going all overboard and sh*t.  Finally he sank to the point where he was a Ryan Seacrest parody on a sh*tty talent show getting made fun of by the judges and being, horror of all horrors, a CO-host on Chattersphere to someone younger and less experienced than him.

He ended up where he started off, only instead of being co-host to a bullying meathead, it was to the new girl, which, honestly is even more humiliating in a way.

• voyager, PresidentKiller, visionist and 5 others like this

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

I think most people who dislike Lazlow in GTA V fail to understand it's intentional writing. He was awesome back in the day, but just like real life celebrities, it doesn't last forever, & you find yourself desperate to cling to your fame & end up a nutjob. 

Lazlow being what he is now is intentional. If you don't like it, that's fin, but it's not that he's not as good anymore, or Rockstars writing is getting worse, it's purely how his character is progressing & evolving. It's genius. I can't wait to see where he goes & what he does next, haha!

• GTAglezga, strakan7 and Zello like this

Del boy
  • Del boy

The Only Fool and Horse of the $treets

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

I know they're trying to go for the washed up has been, but satire aside it's not that funny. I hope to god they make him an arrogant prick in the next gta, nostalgia the best feeling in the world!
  • visionist likes this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

He'll be fine.  He just needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and fire up the old mid-life crisis.

• strakan7 likes this

polaris23
  • polaris23

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

ChrisMathers, I absolutely agree with you. You nailed it.
I do wish Lazlow was cocky and hilarious as he was back in GTA3, though I'm still glad Rockstar features him all the time. I hope they never part ways. To me, he's a key ingredient in the GTA mythology.

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:15 AM Edited by shattered-minds, 16 June 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Its a joke, he is becoming more and more washed up.  

That doesn't excuse it from not being funny. In fact it makes it worse.

Lazlow used to be satire, mocking the people that came on to his show as he was the "straight guy" and the guests were the idiots (his interview with OG Loc is a prime example) but now he's just sad and pathetic. It's not funny, it's actually depressing. It feels like they are trying to go for a Alan Partridge type thing but it just isn't working.

Hopefully in the next game he will have landed on his feet as he's at his best that way.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:27 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 16 June 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Lazlow, for me, has always been a low point in GTA. He was mildly amusing in VC, but since then, just not funny. Chattersphere was lame, his appearances in V are embarrassing. Integrity 2.0 was utterly tedious, listened through it once and then skipped past it whenever it came on.  He should not be so visible in my opinion. Stick to writing the radio shows, but stop voicing them. And definitely don't appear in the f*cking story. 

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:52 PM Edited by toxluv, 14 July 2014 - 11:03 PM.

I like Lazlow Jones as a person, as well as a GTA's radio host in both 3D and HD Universe, and I really hope to see him back along with Fernando Martinez, who I consider a genius, in future GTAs.

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

gnad1992

• Wanted
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I got disappointed too. I remember him from VC days when he used to be badass. Now the only badass dude I know from the radio is Channel X's dude.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Proletarian-funkadelicparliamentarian

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I got disappointed too. I remember him from VC days when he used to be badass. Now the only badass dude I know from the radio is Channel X's dude.

I met Keith Morris last month, he's a cool dude. Even cooler when you consider that he's almost 60-years-old and still fronts a hardcore punk band.

Dude is seriously like, 5'4'', though. I felt like a giant standing near him.

• Blingy likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

I remember during gta 3 Lazlow was the man, he always mocked the crazy nut jobs of liberty city, than he continued to be great during the other 3d era games, but than things went to the fan during gta 5 he became less sane and arrogant to becoming a depraved, pathetic shell. I used to adore him now I just face palm whenever he appears

I feel this way about GTA V in general; That it's a shell of it's former self. Lazlow seemed like he was pressed down by poor writing. IDK. The magics gone.

• Blingy likes this

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

Lazlow should freak out and collapse, becaming the next gta protag. An once famous but now ruined man, willing to do anything for revenge and regain status and respect.
  • PresidentKiller, visionist, SickSL and 1 other like this

Whybot182
  • Whybot182

Requested Ban

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Los Santos happend to Lazlow..

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I'm sorry, but if you think Lazlow was "the man" in older games, you either have not played them or are looking back with nostalgia. The whole joke is that he's a wash-out.

• GTAglezga and strakan7 like this

Aaron030792
  • Aaron030792

I love curry. :D

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Lazlow used to my favourite radio host, used to listen to his show on Chatterbox all the time on GTA 3.

Hate to say it, but I think it's about time his character was retired from GTA. R* shouldn't overdo the running gag of his desperate attempts to be famous again.
  • Blingy likes this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

I think most people who dislike Lazlow in GTA V fail to understand it's intentional writing. He was awesome back in the day, but just like real life celebrities, it doesn't last forever, & you find yourself desperate to cling to your fame & end up a nutjob. 

Lazlow being what he is now is intentional. it's purely how his character is progressing & evolving.

Sure, its intentional. Writing is not done by accident. It may be his characters progression, but he was much more enjoyable on III, even VC and SA, and I thought IV was solid, even though he was beginning to lose it. Now the quality of his show is suffering, not just in game, but for us too. 

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Whenever I hear Chattersphere come on the radio:

Urgh, I miss 3D-era Lazlow (and to an extent, even IV-era Lazlow. Sure he was washed up, but he wasn't DESPERATELY whiney and un-funny. He was heading rock-bottom, but he still kept his mockery and sarcasm, unlike in V).

His approach was Much, MUCH more funny back in the day.

I understand R* are playing the "progression" card, giving him a story arc... but I often wonder if Lazlow really needs one.

Sometimes, it's best to just keep things the same, rather than make changes for the sake of it.

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:34 AM

Who was the talk host in TBOGT who had the transsexual sidekick? Something along the lines of "extreme radio".
We need HIM.

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Bitcher and Moaner

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

The problem is that Lazlow went from being the straight man dealing with a bunch of nut jobs to being just another nut job.

I mean, I didn't HATE Lazlow in GTA IV or GTA V.  Hell, I even found him somewhat funny.  But the fact is that with the era change also came a change in his character and most of us didn't want that.

• FANTOMTRON likes this

Del boy
  • Del boy

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

^^^ I agree I did not find Lazlow being another nut job at all funny, his commentary during the 3d era was as if a regular guy was stuck in the gta universe.

Mightymomo22
  • Mightymomo22

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

He got a MakeoverZ

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

lazlow was funny in the 3d era and in 4. gta v he just was a complete douche bag.

sarcastico.gif

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM Edited by Ash_735, 19 June 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Who was the talk host in TBOGT who had the transsexual sidekick? Something along the lines of "extreme radio".
We need HIM.

Martin Serious? He was actually introduced in TLAD not TBOGT.

edit: And as made clear by a lot of people here, no one liked TLAD so rockstar won't be bringing back anything from that ;) We're lucky we even got the Rhapsody.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:13 PM Edited by archiebunker, 19 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Yeah, Martin Serious was the Howard Stern (or strawman shock jock version of him) parody. I'd bet O&A co-wrote the script on that one.

And the conventional wisdom that TLAD was not universally liked gives me a sad.

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Bitcher and Moaner

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

The fact that the majority didn't like TLAD just proves how sad the majority is.

• FANTOMTRON likes this

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I remember during gta 3 Lazlow was the man, he always mocked the crazy nut jobs of liberty city, than he continued to be great during the other 3d era games, but than things went to the fan during gta 5 he became less sane and arrogant to becoming a depraved, pathetic shell. I used to adore him now I just face palm whenever he appears

I feel this way about GTA V in general; That it's a shell of it's former self. Lazlow seemed like he was pressed down by poor writing. IDK. The magics gone.

What is all this Poor Writing sh*t i always hear ? yeah because San Andreas was a well  Written Masterpiece things have Really gone Downhill Since  then :sarcasm:  you Guys Really need to try writing a script yourselves seeing as your all Quite Clearly Experts  .  :lol:

• GTAglezga likes this

Del boy
  • Del boy

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

^^^ alls I said was I liked the gta 3 Lazlow better never said San Andreas was a master piece of wrighting, now if you want a real masterpiece play Read dead redemption

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

The fact that the majority didn't like TLAD just proves how sad the majority is.

I loved TLAD so much. I hated the ballet of homosexual tony

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users