Photo

Re-optimize the textures in GTA III for PC

5 replies to this topic
(insert name here)
  • (insert name here)

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:02 AM Edited by (insert name here), 15 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

I recently wiped my harddrive and put a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on my computer.  Pretty much the only 3-D game I ever play on a computer is GTA III, so I went ahead and installed it.  I also installed an HD mod after playing the game once to improve the car models and textures, but I can't get the textures to be re-optimized (I believe "optimize" is what the game says the first time you run it) to display the new textures correctly (I know it's not an issue with the mod itself because I've run this mod on multiple installs of GTA III on other computers without a problem).  I know that the standard procedure for getting the textures to re-optimize is to delete txd.img and txd.dir from the models folder, but these files aren't there with this install.  I've tried multiple ways to get the textures to re-optimize including (but not limited to) uninstalling the game from my computer and deleting the GTA user files kept in my Documents folder and then reinstalling and running the game with no mods installed, and I still can't get the textures to re-optimize.  There must be something somewhere on my computer that the uninstaller is missing that's remembering the current "optimization" for my textures and not allowing me to re-optimize them.  Can anyone guide on me on how to remove this information from my computer, whereever it may be, or how to manually force a re-optimization of the textures?

I've placed this question here rather than the PC Modding subforum because the problem persists even with no mods installed, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the mod at all.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Facade Corp™

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Well, before installing a Mod, it's always recommended that you do a dry of the run by running it and playing it for a few minutes, so as to optimize textures or any another setting.

Also, did you make sur that your GTAIII folder was empty after you un-installed the game? I suggest you try checking the installation folder and deleting any remaining files after uninstallation. Then, reboot your PC. Also, no need to delete the whole User Files Folder. Just delete the gta3.set file and re-install the mod.

Be sure to check any temporary files and delete them. Also, it would help better if you link us to the mod you were trying to install.

(insert name here)
  • (insert name here)

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:27 PM Edited by (insert name here), 15 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Well, before installing a Mod, it's always recommended that you do a dry of the run by running it and playing it for a few minutes, so as to optimize textures or any another setting.

Sorry, the wording was a bit messed up in my first post (fixed it now).  I did run the game a couple times and play it a little bit before installing the mod, so it did optimize the textures once the very first time I played.

Also, did you make sur that your GTAIII folder was empty after you un-installed the game?

Yes, I even deleted the Rockstar Games folder.  Windows 8 installs games in a folder called "Progrgram Files (x86)", so I also checked the regular "Program Files" folder to ensure something wasn't hanging around in there.

Then, reboot your PC.

Ah, I didn't do this.  I'll uninstall it again and try that to see if I get any results.

Be sure to check any temporary files and delete them.

Where are temporary files for GTA III stored?

Also, it would help better if you link us to the mod you were trying to install.

I'm using OnePiece's HD Cars mod.  I've always used my own custom files in the data folder, though, so I'm not using default.ide, carcols.dat, handling.cgf, or particle.cfg from his mod.  It's also important to note that my custom versions of these files are modified to work with the HD car pack because I previously had this mod running on my old computer, so an inconsistancy between my tweaks to these files and the models and textures in the mod should not be the problem.

Just tried restarting the computer after uninstalling the game, and it did not help with the problem.

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• Modding Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Check your %localappdata%\VirtualStore dir, the IMG is probably here. If you find a III directory here with ANY files, REMOVE it and launch the game as admin and let the IMG rebuild.

(insert name here)
  • (insert name here)

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Aha!  That appears to have done the trick.  (The struggles of learning the file structure of an OS newer than XP, eh?)  Thanks a ton for the help!

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• Modding Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

(The struggles of learning the file structure of an OS newer than XP, eh?)

True, that's why I always recommend installing GTAs outside of UAC-protected directories :p
  • MrMateczko likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users