Quantcast

» «
Photo

Desktop or Laptop?

112 replies to this topic

Poll: GTAV on the Desktop or Laptop? (308 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be playing V Desktop or Laptop?

1. Going the Laptop route. (57 votes [18.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.51%

2. Playing on my Gaming Beast of course! (251 votes [81.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote
anobelp
  • anobelp

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:13 PM Edited by anobelp, 02 September 2014 - 04:15 PM.

Laptop for study + games
Convinced parents that i needed an i7 and nvidia for homework lol

4712hq i7
Gtx850m
8gb ram

Gta v will run on high

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by Filip454, 02 September 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Laptop for study + games
Convinced parents that i needed an i7 and nvidia for homework lol

4712hq i7
Gtx850m
8gb ram

Gta v will run on high

It will run on very high ;)

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

MSI GE70 

8GB RAM
GTX 765m 2GB
i7-4700MQ 
SSD 128GB + 7200rpm 1TB

No problem running GTA V at custom high settings (vsync off, fxaa, motion blur and depth of field off) 

This thing has no problem with Battlefield 4 / Hardline at High, The Crew at High nor Skyrim with ENB enabled and tons of mods installed + GTA IV runs on ultra except the shadows on High 

May not run at 60+ FPS but 40 and also 30 is enough for me to enjoy a game, I love the mobility I can play anywhere

And I think GTA V will be optimized very well, plus there will be tons of mods for performance, no worries on my side

I had that piece of sh*t laptop. Had to return it twice. The 2nd time I just ordered a new processor and mobo for my desktop. It ran BF3 barely on medium with an acceptable framerate, no way in hell it's running BF4 that smoothly on high. 

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

your drinking m8

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

In my opinion, laptop for gaming sucks so much, I only use my laptop for Pokerstars

Bolcksta
  • Bolcksta

The Protagonist

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:28 AM Edited by Bolcksta, 04 September 2014 - 01:29 AM.

In my opinion, laptop for gaming sucks so much, I only use my laptop for Pokerstars

Agreed, "Gaming Laptops" just can't be a thing anymore, I mean honestly it overheats at times and it's just a hassle and the lifespan is very short, so I would rather suggest going for a Desktop just for these reasons.

Laptop: 

-Heat problems

-"Gaming laptops" require a power brick sometimes

-It lacks comfort

-Most of the time can't even run at 1920x1080

-Also they rarely achieve 60 FPS

Desktops:

-Comfortable and actually made for heavy tasks

-Can run most of all games at 1920x1080 with an average or high FPS range

-You can upgrade it

-You don't need to deal with heat coming from the keyboard

-Just overall a good investment with a higher lifespan

-If it breaks you can easily replace the parts, unlike a laptop you commonly need to invest on a brand new laptop which can set you back a few dollars

Now, I type this from personal experience.

I mean honestly, laptops suck, all that they are made for is easy processing and little work such as editing a photo or typing an essay or just basic browsing, if you want gaming then invest on a Desktop. 

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:48 AM Edited by Filip454, 04 September 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Agreed, "Gaming Laptops" just can't be a thing anymore, I mean honestly it overheats at times and it's just a hassle and the lifespan is very short, so I would rather suggest going for a Desktop just for these reasons.

Laptop: 

-Heat problems

-It lacks comfort

Desktops:

-You can upgrade it

-If it breaks you can easily replace the parts, unlike a laptop you commonly need to invest on a brand new laptop which can set you back a few dollars

I mean honestly, laptops suck, all that they are made for is easy processing and little work such as editing a photo or typing an essay or just basic browsing, if you want gaming then invest on a Desktop. 

Of course, but we'll still play GTA V on laptops. Easily. Believe me.

I have a laptop and a desktop system (both of them are quite old - desktop is i5 4690 and 660GTX, laptop is i7 + 660m) and for the most part, laptop does its job quite well. I was pretty sticked to my desktop and always preferred to render and play games on it, but I thought I will give my laptop a chance.

Easy processing - I must disagree cause you've never had a laptop and probably you've never rendered anything more complex on the laptop computer - my opinion is based on your words. All your pros and cons can be ruined in one second.

The biggest bullsh*t is about fps thing in FullHD. Next - laptop lifespan is comparable - it can last 2-3 years like desktops. Nowadays after 3 years everything needs to be replaced to be honest so it is bs.

So only the price is a bad thing about laptops ;) Too big difference so you must decide - gaming and mobility or gaming and 0% mobility with slightly bigger horsepower for the same price.

Your opinion is probably based on some week ass 10 year old laptops with integrated graphic cards and dual core processors.

I often leave my laptop processing some videos through the whole night and of course temperatures are pretty high but they're still acceptable.

Not every player can sit whole day in his room ;) People work on their laptops - it is a lot easier to sit down on a big sofa and write sth.

Plus I think his laptop is breddy gud - laptop i7 equals desktop i5, 850m = 660m (not as bad as you can think). Everything will be cool.

I have no worries cause I still have my breddy gud desktop.

And remember that GTA = CPU - much more peds, bigger traffic density needs more processing power from our CPUs.

Lesson for today - if GTA IV runs well - GTA V will run even better cause it's not a ported game.

utack
  • utack

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:23 AM Edited by utack, 04 September 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Laptop: 

-Heat problems

Intel is working hard on bringing these to the Desktop PC's unless you pay $800+ for a "E" CPU.

After 3 years of Haswell I guess you really have to knock off the lid and replace the thermal paste.

But same applies to notebooks, and it's not always nice to open them and put them back together.

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

Love hurts

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

I don't have anything that supports me... When I get one that does everyone will have even better ones (standard for the time) and the whole game would already be spoiled by then...

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:32 AM Edited by Coolstream, 04 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.

Laptop: 

-Heat problems

-It lacks comfort

Desktops:

-You can upgrade it

Nowadays after 3 years everything needs to be replaced to be honest so it is bs.

Oh wow, I don't even need to quote the other bullsh*t you're spewing out. I still have my 2500K with my two 7850's, they are more than enough for games, the only reason I have the 4790K and 7970GHz was because I wanted to upgrade along with the flexibility of having one PC I can constantly move around.

I dealt with a whole lot of laptops while I was working as an IT Service employee (Direct translation), ranging from the most high end that almost no one here can afford to the smaller, more mobile laptops. They all suck, without a constant power cord they were also massively down on power with a crap battery.

Protip: If you're a gamer (Farmville does not count), get yourself a SFF desktop, they're as mobile as a laptop except they don't suck.

Edit: Also! It's cheaper to get a high-end desktop than a mid-end laptop.

pandalin
  • pandalin

no pain...no gain

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Desktop. Never could game on a laptop.

anobelp
  • anobelp

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Laptop: 

-Heat problems

-It lacks comfort

Desktops:

-You can upgrade it

This post is probably the biggest joke of this site.
Heat problems? They exist on desktops too! Keep your laptop in a ventilated place and make sure that it has access to air. I havent had any single problem in my 6 years of laptop gaming.

Gaming laptops require a power brick? What about the size of your pc? Good luck trying to play it elsewhere, all day sitting in the same position... I van play at my school, at home and at work. You cant bring your pc the size of a tractor to your office...

Gaming laptops are more comfortable, all day sitting on ur desktop makes u have rsi injury... What a stupid post...

If your stupid, you can break your pc also. That argument was really dumb of you.

You dont need to play on highest settings for gaming, who told u that pc fanboy. You can enjoy on medium settings also...

Desktops suck, same technology since 1990, they take up so much space and consume 700-800W and just waste energy. Laptops run cooler and take in 120W max... Plus you dont need to carry a tractor with you everywhere...

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:00 PM Edited by Andreas, 05 September 2014 - 06:11 PM. Removed quote-train.

Heat problems? They exist on desktops too! Keep your laptop in a ventilated place and make sure that it has access to air. I havent had any single problem in my 6 years of laptop gaming.

Gaming laptops require a power brick? What about the size of your pc? Good luck trying to play it elsewhere, all day sitting in the same position... I van play at my school, at home and at work. You cant bring your pc the size of a tractor to your office...

Gaming laptops are more comfortable, all day sitting on ur desktop makes u have rsi injury... What a stupid post...

If your stupid, you can break your pc also. That argument was really dumb of you.

You dont need to play on highest settings for gaming, who told u that pc fanboy. You can enjoy on medium settings also...

Desktops suck, same technology since 1990, they take up so much space and consume 700-800W and just waste energy. Laptops run cooler and take in 120W max... Plus you dont need to carry a tractor with you everywhere...

Considering you're completely overestimating everything, I guess you have no idea what you're even talking about. Tractors, heh.

RSI (Or repetive strain injury) can be caused by sitting near a computer screen with little to no other activities. Shame that works for both laptops and desktops. Then you go onto the "outdated" technology where it seems like you're claiming that all (Most) computers use upwards of 800W. That is true too, if you're running a Titan Z or 295X2 (And even then, you're only getting close, not quite there yet)

Here's an example on just how decently small a Micro-ATX case can get. Support for SLI and Crossfire. I would've switched to that if I had a micro-atx motherboard.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:11 PM Edited by Andreas, 05 September 2014 - 06:10 PM. Removed quote-train.

This post is probably the biggest joke of this site.

1. Incorrect, while desktop PCs CAN have heating issues, if you're running high graphics on inferior hardware, it's twice that on laptops. My sister's laptop gets damn hot when she's just browsing the internet.

2. Yes, laptops are meant to be mobile, but they're usually weaker than desktop. That's a known fact.

3. Whether laptops are more comfortable or not, that completely depends on a lot of things that are irrelevant to the computer itself, like the comfort of the chair/couch/sitting spot etc. But desktops AND laptops can give one RSI, as mentioned by fellow user Coolstream.

4. I used to own a laptop, and after a year of gaming and browsing the web, it croaked. Now, my self-built desktop ($1000, about $200 cheaper than the laptop) is, after two years, running much, much better than my laptop was at purchase date.

5. No, one doesn't need to play on highest settings to enjoy a game, but it helps. The thing is, laptops are much weaker than a desktop that costs equivalent, especially if you're willing to buy parts and build yourself. What one is usually paying for with a laptop is mobility and brand name.

6. What? Desktops now are hundreds of times more technologically advanced. My desktop is a beast, it can run on any game I play on max settings. The most power it ever drew was about 500W. On idle, it runs on about 20C, when running newer games on max settings, the most it got up to was 70C, and that was only once. It usually plays at 50C. Laptops, however, even on idle, after some use, usually run on 40 to 50C, one year of laptop gaming experience and my sister's laptop, so I can confirm that as a fact. Not only that, but my PC is much better at running games and general tasks. And no, you don't need to carry your desktop anywhere. Why the hell would you? I never saw anyone carrying around a "gaming" ($2000, not nearly as good as a self-built $700 desktop) laptop and enjoying playing on it on the mobile either.

In general, I have nothing against laptops, except for their cost. If you think that the pros outweigh the cons in laptop gaming, that's great for you, I really hope you enjoy it. However, if you are willing to diss desktops and claim "laptop master race", just don't. People on GTAForums are pretty smart when it comes to calling others out on their crap.

anobelp
  • anobelp

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:55 AM Edited by Andreas, 05 September 2014 - 06:10 PM. Removed quote-train.

It all comes down to preference. If your a person whos busy all of the day and has to travel a lot, then you cant game on a desktop. Desktops are highly inefficient hardware and require a lot of money and time to set up.

I just down understand how you bring up the heating issue debate, when your shrinking the size of your pc, obviously you are going to compact things and it will heat up. There is a tradeoff between size and cooling. For me, I dont have to carry a pc the size of a vcr everytime, my laptop works best for me.

Please dont base your laptop gaming experience on a single laptop that you owned, and that too from your sister who is probably the least knowledgeable in selecting laptop gaming pc. I found it funny you posted that. This ks not 2006 anymore, laptop gaming is real.

By the way laptops are no way slower than desktops, its just that the technology is too expensive.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:27 AM Edited by Andreas, 05 September 2014 - 06:00 PM. Removed quote-train.

"It all comes down to preference"

"Desktops are highly inefficient hardware and require a lot of money and time to set up."

That, my friend, is bullsh*t. Desktops are quite the opposite. Very efficent. Building a good gaming desktop requires less money than buying a good gaming, hell, even an average laptop. Some have built console-crusher systems for $400. A good gaming laptop is about $2000. And no, it doesn't require that much set-up time. Setting up a pre-bought one is pretty quick, just slightly longer than a laptop. Building takes about an hour or so, setting up afterwards is about 30 mins.

I can objectively state that, at this point in time, it's quite the opposite. Laptops are highly, HIGHLY inefficient, unlike desktops. You are basically spending extra money on mobility, and that's a lot of extra. Laptop batteries are also inefficient, unless you're always carrying a charger. If you're willing to do all of those, go ahead, I wish you luck with your gaming. Just don't try to diss desktop gaming by throwing anything you have at it, from false claims to complete nonsense.

Bolcksta
  • Bolcksta

The Protagonist

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

I'm sorry if most of you take my post as a "Joke" but my Pro(s) and Con(s) were listed from personal experience, and in my conclusion Laptops simply should not be made for gaming.

I'm sure that some of you will try to defend this simply because you own a laptop and you are on a tight budget, which I must agree I once did think "Gaming Laptops" was a thing until I actually saved up some cash and bought myself a Desktop and finally built it purely for gaming purposes, and I will promise you that I will never go back to a Gaming laptop, because it simply does not work, and in my personal opinion it shouldn't exist at all. 

BOSS 302
  • BOSS 302

your drinking m8

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

wow I didn't mean to start a PC vs Laptop war lol

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:38 PM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 05 September 2014 - 03:39 PM.

PC vs Laptop war? WTF. They're intended to do different things. Why is there need for an argument?

These are the only factors that matter:

Laptop: Less power, more mobility.

Desktop: More power, less mobility.

And there's no such thing as Desktop > Laptop or Laptop > Desktop. I have a desktop and a laptop and i need both.

A GTX850m will not run GTA V on very high btw. As someone suggested in this page.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

The point of this topic is whether you will be playing GTAV on your desktop PC or laptop, and not which one is better suited for gaming. Please get back on topic.

• utack likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

If you play GTAV on your laptop, you run the risk of "SHIITY CONSOLE EXPERIENCE" because of the 5,400rpm Hard Drive, unless of course your laptop has an SSD, but the standard drive is what causes the pop-in on the console versions, and with the PC version most likely using higher quality assets, 5,400rpm is going to gimp it even more.

anobelp
  • anobelp

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:56 PM Edited by anobelp, 05 September 2014 - 09:40 PM.

If you play GTAV on your laptop, you run the risk of "SHIITY CONSOLE EXPERIENCE" because of the 5,400rpm Hard Drive, unless of course your laptop has an SSD, but the standard drive is what causes the pop-in on the console versions, and with the PC version most likely using higher quality assets, 5,400rpm is going to gimp it even more.

Pop-ins occur because there is not enough memory in the GPU and textures have to be copied from the HD to the GPU. If you have 4GB VRAM, then I dont think the issue will persist as much.

Please dont be stupid and classify a laptop with a 5400rpm as a gaming device.

John Angelo
  • John Angelo

"You f*ck up once, you lose two teeth."

• Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Despot for me:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 / 2.83 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce GTX 660 Direct CU II OC Edition

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Los Santos!