Quantcast

» «
Photo

why is Liberty City such a wreck in GTA IV?

16 replies to this topic
kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:23 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 14 June 2014 - 01:43 PM.

streets are dirty even in the central areas there are stuff in the middle of the road, everything is rusty/dirty, there are a lot of buildings that are wrecks, there is an ugly unfinished bridge, there are abandoned areas in the industrial area in Alderney, there are abandoned/half sinked ships, sea is polluted, there are construction wastes such as bricks everywhere, the list goes on... is New York really like this?

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Streets in NYC are very dirty and theres constant roadworks all over the city. The city is pretty old, so theres a lot of rust on buildings and bridges, many buildings in the outer boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Northern NJ, and especially the Bronx) are decrepit and abandoned. As for the ships, I have no idea why they're there. the Hudson River was a pretty polluted river for years, and the East River is still pretty dirty. But you have to remember that GTA IV is a depressing game. It is meant to show the worst parts of life in Liberty City. Overall, LC is an excellent version of NYC, but current NYC is much better than it was even 10 years ago.

• PulpFiction, Plank., lol232 and 7 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

It is an old city, and to captire the vibe of an old city, it was shown in that fashion to show the crapsack nature of the game. Some of the roadwork shown in game were probably included to slow you down whilst driving around and to show the course of progression.

Cheers.

• PulpFiction and theGTAking101 like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Go do some research on New York via Google Streetview. ;)

//XP//
  • //XP//

Ignorance is bliss.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

LC was like that since III-era

LC was always made to look dark and depressing,no matter the graphics,the era or the time of the action

sweiss_gta3_peren3.jpg

3359_gtaiv_broker_bridge_dusk.jpg

Look the way the building,sky,atmosphere makes these games look dark,gritty and depressing

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Shrimp Fried Rice

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Let's not forget that it's the worst city in America. ;)

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

LC is a great city in my opinion, it's not made to show a happy place where everything is perfect, shiny, and clean. As far as I know, NYC isn't just Wall Street and blonde ladies going to shopping malls. GTA IV isn't a game to be depressed, but a game to show a reality, in a deeper way, obviously mixed with the sense of the story shown during the gameplay.

Liberty City is not an attempt to be a basic city designed to make a lot of unrealistic stuff, you can do unrealistic stuff too, indeed, it's GTA, but not that exaggerated.

• ddyoung likes this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

LC is a great city in my opinion, it's not made to show a happy place where everything is perfect, shiny, and clean. As far as I know, NYC isn't just Wall Street and blonde ladies going to shopping malls. GTA IV isn't a game to be depressed, but a game to show a reality, in a deeper way, obviously mixed with the sense of the story shown during the gameplay.

Liberty City is not an attempt to be a basic city designed to make a lot of unrealistic stuff, you can do unrealistic stuff too, indeed, it's GTA, but not that exaggerated.

i know i love it.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

I think you should get your interpretation of New York from something more along the lines of Taxi Driver as opposed to Sex in the City.

New York isn't one massive, lovely looking metropolis. It's one big, unredeemable, open sewer. Lovely place to take in the scenery and culture, but not a great place to live in. Plus IV is meant to be a dark and depressing game, so why not make LC the way they have.
  • PulpFiction likes this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

20% Skill, 80% Fear

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

streets are dirty even in the central areas there are stuff in the middle of the road, everything is rusty/dirty, there are a lot of buildings that are wrecks, there is an ugly unfinished bridge, there are abandoned areas in the industrial area in Alderney, there are abandoned/half sinked ships, sea is polluted, there are construction wastes such as bricks everywhere, the list goes on... is New York really like this?

If you think NYC today is bad, you should see what it was like in the 70s.

//XP//
  • //XP//

Ignorance is bliss.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

If you think NYC today is bad, you should see what it was like in the 70s.

Or in the 80s...

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

It gives the feeling of being lived in.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

If you were to strictly compare LC and LS (minus the countryside), LC feels more like a city and a city that the developers put in more love and detail. It's a city I would prefer to live in despite the weather and 'greyness'.

Cheers.

Aaron030792
  • Aaron030792

I love curry. :D

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:40 PM Edited by Aaron030792, 18 June 2014 - 05:41 PM.

I prefer the grubbier, 'what you see is what you get' appearance of LC. Feels totally realistic, as opposed to the shiny, pretty and oh so perfect look that LS has. LS feels fake and soulless.
  • PulpFiction likes this

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:25 AM Edited by DoubleOGJohnson, 19 June 2014 - 04:28 AM.

LC was like that since III-era

LC was always made to look dark and depressing,no matter the graphics,the era or the time of the action

sweiss_gta3_peren3.jpg

3359_gtaiv_broker_bridge_dusk.jpg

Look the way the building,sky,atmosphere makes these games look dark,gritty and depressing

People talk about how depressing LC is, it really isnt compared to the old LC. I think modern day LC is dark, but it's not the "darkness" of the old LC. I remember in the old LC how doing regular sh*t like walk down the street or take the subway was like risking ya life. I vividly remember crimes in the old LC. Like one time I was hanging outside Big Al's one day minding my business and a bunch of Puerto Ricans ran up and beat the sh*t out of me with baseball bats JUST because I was standing accross the street from their hood/projects. I wasnt even standing near in the PJ's, I was ACCROSS the street from them in a different district. That sh*t doesnt happen like that in the new LC. Now, you can literally walk through pj's like nothing. I also remember being shot at and chased on and off subway trains in the old LC. I had to literally fight my way to and from certain train stops, in the new LC riding the train aint sh*t. There was "stranger danger" in the old LC. The threat of randomly getting killed in the streets was REAL. The new LC is dark, but the crimes arent to a level that depressed me like the old one.

• kipakolonyasi likes this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

The random violence in GTA III was way too overdone IMO. It was ok at first, but it became incredibly annoying after a few hours. I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to constantly fight off gang members everytime I get off a train.

To me it seems like R* haven't been able to get a good balance. It's either overdone like the 3D era or too little like the HD era. I would really like something Watch Dogs where random street crimes occur, but they're not at the expense of the player trying to enjoy themselves if they choose to do so.

Getting attacked from pissed off gang members for no reason loses its appeal after a while.

Anyway getting back on topic.

I think one of the things I love about GTA IV's LC is it actually feels dirty. Take for instance the random projects building especially the one for "Blow Your Cover". The piss stained matresses, used bongs, hobos, smashed walls etc. It feels like a real sh*t hole especially when you're out on the boroughs.

It's a stark contrast to lower Algonquin.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I think rockstar did a perfect job differentiating between the projects of north Algonquin and the Exchange down south. About the random crimes, in NYC crimes have dropped tremendously. In Manhattan there are very few crimes per capita for a city of it's size. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users