Quantcast

» «
Photo

How does it decide what servers to start you in?

39 replies to this topic
Day Reaper
  • Day Reaper

Executioner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

How come I don't hear Chinese people playing? I want to hear some Mandarin dammit.
  • Bozzah likes this

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Foot Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Cheers guys/gals for some of the answers (some are just funny!)

Out of interest, im based in Sheffield and i get 3.5 mbps only, so not that good. I have considered paying for fibreoptic broadband and that'd boost speed (download) to 25 mbps. What's people's thoughts on fibreoptic?

Ta again

I get my FTTC from the ISP near you and I have to say I've been more than happy with it. I pay £21.99 a month for what turns out to be about 35mb down and 15 up. Even watching a lot of MotorsTV which is available through Connect on Freeview HD (streamed over net) I get no where near my 250gb limit.
  • leeroyjones87 likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

it doesnt matter if its broadband or fiber, for gaming the number you have to focus is not the download speed but the upload speed.

in my case i have a 10mbps connection, 10mb download 5mbps upload, which is decent.

i have seen internet offerts that give you 30mbps download but just 3mb of upload, which sucks if youre looking to play online.

what info do you base this on? how much upload do you think gta takes?  I used to game on a connection with less than a meg up and down with zero lag issues.  Most games to do not require much upload at all and 512K should be sufficient, lol!  ping is more important than bandwith, if you got a sh*tty ping youre f*cked even if you have 100megs up and down

Fun De Panda
  • Fun De Panda

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgable [GTA] 2015
    Most Helpful Member 2015
    Coolest Member 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:44 PM Edited by funmw2, 14 June 2014 - 07:45 PM.

http://www.reddit.co...alysis_for_ps3/

tldr; From what I can work out, all the game data is UDP based, each player "streams" their activity to other consoles. The lobby and game sessions are all controlled by STUN via the Rockstar servers. In laymans terms, think of GTA Online as one big VOIP telephone system of conference calls (lobbies & missions, etc), except instead of voice data, its all GTA game data. All of those earth view loading screens is the session (conference call) being established, basically ensuring that all the players streams with each other are established before letting you play.

Nope, there's a constant data stream between players in the same session. During the setup of the lobby there's a lot of STUN activity while ports and IP's are organised, and while in the lobby itself there's constant activity between all players as far as I can tell. While I agree there's little point of streaming a players activity to someone on the other side of the map, I can snipe someone downtown from the hills easily enough as the scope brings the player I'm targeting in view almost instantly and I'm not waiting for their game data stream to connect with me, so it's clearly processing all streams all the time.

Its depends on the ping between yours and R* servers .

And :

And as for the actual data communication, it seems that it uses UDP extensively, so my initial impression that they used UDP for game data seems to fit, this would also explain why those shots I fire keep missing (jokes) but seriously, if you think you shot someone in the head and it missed, there's a good chance you fired, but your packet got lost on the internet. I will be perfectly honest though, this is highly unlikely except on heavily congested networks where UDP data is typically the first to suffer. So, if you're game is glitchy as hell and you're having trouble with warping players, constantly missed shots and stuff, first thing to check is that you're not using anything like Bittorrent on one (or more) computers on the network flooding your connection, yeah, it sucks turning all that off to game, but if you don't then you're going to have no end of trouble. This at least confirms that part of the equation. UDP for game data also explains why GTA Online was such a failure, because the Rockstar servers were so heavily overloaded, and UDP being stateless and not having retransmission requests (and associated delays/lag) means that there were massive amounts of lost data (players? money? get the picture?) the only way to solve this would have been to increase the cloud capacity & bandwidth to cope with the traffic.

• gfen likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

interesting, 

RagunCajin
  • RagunCajin

Go f*ck yourself.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

tldr; From what I can work out, all the game data is UDP based, each player "streams" their activity to other consoles. The lobby and game sessions are all controlled by STUN via the Rockstar servers. In laymans terms, think of GTA Online as one big VOIP telephone system of conference calls (lobbies & missions, etc), except instead of voice data, its all GTA game data. All of those earth view loading screens is the session (conference call) being established, basically ensuring that all the players streams with each other are established before letting you play.

Nope, there's a constant data stream between players in the same session. During the setup of the lobby there's a lot of STUN activity while ports and IP's are organised, and while in the lobby itself there's constant activity between all players as far as I can tell. While I agree there's little point of streaming a players activity to someone on the other side of the map, I can snipe someone downtown from the hills easily enough as the scope brings the player I'm targeting in view almost instantly and I'm not waiting for their game data stream to connect with me, so it's clearly processing all streams all the time.

And :

And as for the actual data communication, it seems that it uses UDP extensively, so my initial impression that they used UDP for game data seems to fit, this would also explain why those shots I fire keep missing (jokes) but seriously, if you think you shot someone in the head and it missed, there's a good chance you fired, but your packet got lost on the internet. I will be perfectly honest though, this is highly unlikely except on heavily congested networks where UDP data is typically the first to suffer. So, if you're game is glitchy as hell and you're having trouble with warping players, constantly missed shots and stuff, first thing to check is that you're not using anything like Bittorrent on one (or more) computers on the network flooding your connection, yeah, it sucks turning all that off to game, but if you don't then you're going to have no end of trouble. This at least confirms that part of the equation. UDP for game data also explains why GTA Online was such a failure, because the Rockstar servers were so heavily overloaded, and UDP being stateless and not having retransmission requests (and associated delays/lag) means that there were massive amounts of lost data (players? money? get the picture?) the only way to solve this would have been to increase the cloud capacity & bandwidth to cope with the traffic.

Hm. So according to this, my chat cutting out at random intervals would be caused by someone using a torrent?

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

And :

Hm. So according to this, my chat cutting out at random intervals would be caused by someone using a torrent?

does he mean my network? or anyones in the lobby?

Crunch McThornbody
  • Crunch McThornbody

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:17 AM Edited by Crunch McThornbody, 15 June 2014 - 03:20 AM.

Time of day also affects what servers you get put in I think, I play a lot during the night in the UK and often hear US accents on mics.

On the subject of lag, FTTC here too, I max out at 79mbit down and 18mbit up, even if I download at over 8 megabytes/s I don't get lagged on GTA Online.

RagunCajin
  • RagunCajin

Go f*ck yourself.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

does he mean my network? or anyones in the lobby?

I think he means yours.

Nyraider77
  • Nyraider77

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

You guys obviously know more about this than me. What's weird to me is that I have a bunch of crew members but I never join them off the bat. I always join a lobby with a bunch of randoms and then I have to attempt to join my friends and crew members
  • leeroyjones87 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users