Quantcast

» «
Photo

How does it decide what servers to start you in?

39 replies to this topic
leeroyjones87
  • leeroyjones87

Lenny

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hi guys/gals,

Possibly a bit of a silly question but here goes ...

When I log into GTA Online and it puts me into a random server, does it have a process of deciding which servers to put you in? The reason why I'm asking is because lately iv been going on Online around 7pm to 11pm GMT, and the servers I'm getting are full of mainly spanish/portugese players instead of UK players, which is where I'm from.

I'm rarely getting into UK players games so, is there anything I can do except join a private/crew server to get the game to send me to more people playing in UK or just english speaking servers?

Cheers fellow forumers, looking forward to this gen upgrade too!

AlexSniperBullet
  • AlexSniperBullet

GTAPhotographer Commissioner

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Sometimes it will put you in with your friends or crew members when you start u GTA Online from story mode. pretty much everything else is random. It would be awesome to have separated servers to join. 

• leeroyjones87 likes this

Cragovich
  • Cragovich

The Division.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

I assume it would be based off ping. The lower the ping the better your gaming experience will be. Ping is essentially the time it takes for you to send some data to the host and also get a reply, the lower this time is the better you'll find the game as it's more responsive.

Since you're in the UK you'll have a much lower ping connecting to a server in the EU rather than, for example, America. This because the data has less to travel. It's probably just down to the fact that the game thinks it's found you the best host in the world, they just happen to be elsewhere in the EU.

Aswell as Ping it will also check for any games with Crew members or Friends in. It could be that you're in a crew and a crew member happened to be connected to another EU host so it just paired you with them.

• leeroyjones87 and RoyalRedXIII like this

RaceKingX
  • RaceKingX

Here he comes... and there he goes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I assume it would be based off ping. The lower the ping the better your gaming experience will be. Ping is essentially the time it takes for you to send some data to the host and also get a reply, the lower this time is the better you'll find the game as it's more responsive.

Since you're in the UK you'll have a much lower ping connecting to a server in the EU rather than, for example, America. This because the data has less to travel. It's probably just down to the fact that the game thinks it's found you the best host in the world, they just happen to be elsewhere in the EU.

Aswell as Ping it will also check for any games with Crew members or Friends in. It could be that you're in a crew and a crew member happened to be connected to another EU host so it just paired you with them.

Weird, as most of the people in sessions I join are British or Welsh, and I'm in the US.

For the most part, though, they're all very nice chaps. :)

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

ß

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

I wonder too. Why does it put me together with all you foreigners in international multi culti lobbies the last months? I want bier, sauerkraut, bratwurst and no frogs, tea, pizza, gouda, mc donald's et cetera. Lmao
  • leeroyjones87, kipakolonyasi, PkUnzipper and 1 other like this

Cragovich
  • Cragovich

The Division.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Weird, as most of the people in sessions I join are British or Welsh, and I'm in the US.

I'm sure there is loads of variables the matchmaking algorithms take into account. Ping is what a huge amount of games off. But this being R*, they might have the most unconventional way going.

RaceKingX
  • RaceKingX

Here he comes... and there he goes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm sure there is loads of variables the matchmaking algorithms take into account. Ping is what a huge amount of games off. But this being R*, they might have the most unconventional way going.

Possibly. I have a really, really good connection, and I play in the morning, which is midday over there, so I always chalked it up to that... but hey, it's all Greek to me. The only ping I know comes before pong. lol

• Franceska likes this

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Glitcher In 12 Step Program

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

i think its all random and i like it!

there are days that i land in european servers with italians, germans, russians and the f*cking french, other days i land in asian servers.

for me is more common to land in servers with brazilians or people that speak spanish.

since i speak multiple languages i get to practice a bit while playing.

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I would like to come back in my private session when I leave an activity from the parameters or car selection screen. But it always puts me on public sessions. And second time when I rage quit.

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Peon

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Never heard any Welsh being spoken!

Are there juse one lot of servers or are there a few spread around?

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

According to Rockstar, they use a highly sophisticated logarithm which leverages science, mythology, and subversive dianetics to select which server will completely smack your game up at the perfect, most inopportune time conceivable. Like when you've set a trap for bounty hunters and three of them are in the snare and you're about to blow your planted stickies when... "Connection to server lost due to unknown network error. You are being returned to GTA V."

<sigh>

• The7thOne likes this

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Assuming it throws you to whichever server will annoy you the most and increase the likelyhood of being disconnected or having your console freeze.

I heard from this one source that they actually have a program written for this very purpose.

McBean007
  • McBean007

Soldier

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

The servers i have joined and with what people
People from uk, france, spain, usa, swedes, arabs

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

Cloak and Dagger

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

This decides it.

swag-meter-on.png

• vipprimo and McBean007 like this

Andrew1980
  • Andrew1980

Rat

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Even though I'm in the UK, %90 of time I end up with American players  :blink:

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

Easy like Monday morning

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

There is no "server." You aren't connected to one. 

The matchmaking host supposedly looks for friends or crew members to pair you with, and should stick you into their session if its available. After that, I assume its an unknown mixture of parameters involving "skill," mental state, and latency.

Once the matchmaking host identifies a session, it passes the information to your console which then "enters" the session by establishing communication with all other consoles in the session, creating a full mesh network of up to 16 consoles all talking with each other; there is no "server" in this design that hosts your console.

JON22
  • JON22

I am the king of crap. Look at my stats and bow to my crapness

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Out of interest what is everyone's broadband speed? I bought a 30mb package which is mostly OK. It's the Richard Branson broadband (won't say name inless it's not allowed). I heard having more mb makes little difference and just costs more money. 

Bozzah
  • Bozzah

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

I think there are some priorities:

1. people from your crew AND friends list

2. people from your crew OR friends list

3. ping

I rarely lag and if I do, it's mostly because there's a cheaterfag in the server. In pretty much every server that had lags or constant despawns of vehicles, cops or empty military bases, there was at least one asshole cheating.

• blakeney likes this

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:23 PM Edited by RoyalRedXIII, 14 June 2014 - 02:24 PM.

I don't know what this means, but it sounds right, so I like it -.-

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

People need to make sure their Internet is in MegaBYTES not MegaBITS. You want a bit of my cookie? Here is one chocolate chip. Want a "byte" then fit as much as you can in that byte.

Also. There ARE servers which is why you're able to play alone. Unlike Halo where you can't be in a game by yourself because "waiting for more players". GTA will never make you wait for more people to play free roam. Halo is peer to peer connection which is why it and CoD say "changing host". He who has the best Internet is the host and gets a slight advantage. In GTA Online there is no "host" like in GTA4. Even in 4, the host could leave without repercussion but the new host was picked and given an orange dot and first slot on the player list.

oleg_aka_djmeg
  • oleg_aka_djmeg

Congratulations! You're Vinewood's biggest star!

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:44 PM Edited by oleg_aka_djmeg, 14 June 2014 - 02:44 PM.

How does it decide what servers to start you in?

pretty simple:
Timed out locating online session
or
Failed to find a compatible GTA Online session
  • Bozzah likes this

leeroyjones87
  • leeroyjones87

Lenny

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Cheers guys/gals for some of the answers (some are just funny!)

I enjoy the matchmaking as it is, but my ps3 rarely connects to my friends or crew members games even though they're clearly online too. I do enjoy playing against everyone as you get a good mix but sometimes I just want to play with my crew members yet it won't connect.

Out of interest, im based in Sheffield and i get 3.5 mbps only, so not that good. I have considered paying for fibreoptic broadband and that'd boost speed (download) to 25 mbps. What's people's thoughts on fibreoptic?

Ta again

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Glitcher In 12 Step Program

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

it doesnt matter if its broadband or fiber, for gaming the number you have to focus is not the download speed but the upload speed.

in my case i have a 10mbps connection, 10mb download 5mbps upload, which is decent.

i have seen internet offerts that give you 30mbps download but just 3mb of upload, which sucks if youre looking to play online.

JON22
  • JON22

I am the king of crap. Look at my stats and bow to my crapness

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Well I'm fecked. According to my speed test on my mobile, I get average 1.75 upload speed. My 360 is connected via a wire though, but I have no idea how much it improves it by. From now on when I lose I'll blame my fibre optic broadband lol.

AlexSniperBullet
  • AlexSniperBullet

GTAPhotographer Commissioner

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

Out of interest what is everyone's broadband speed? I bought a 30mb package which is mostly OK. It's the Richard Branson broadband (won't say name inless it's not allowed). I heard having more mb makes little difference and just costs more money. 

I had 20Mbps package but had it lower to save money to repair and move soon.   Just so you know. Pinging is what matters in gaming. 

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I would like to come back in my private session when I leave an activity from the parameters or car selection screen. But it always puts me on public sessions. And second time when I rage quit.

Its because you go back to the session the host was last in, unless they crew/friends/solo, then you will go to a "random" server. If you host from a crew/friend/solo session, you go back to it after the mission, regardless of where any one that joins came from.

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

I think there are some priorities:
1. people from your crew AND friends list
2. people from your crew OR friends list
3. ping

I rarely lag and if I do, it's mostly because there's a cheaterfag in the server. In pretty much every server that had lags or constant despawns of vehicles, cops or empty military bases, there was at least one asshole cheating.

I think that is how it works, I log into the same crew members session everytime, and it happens to be the crew member that is also on my friends list.

hotrats773
  • hotrats773

QUIT THE INTERNET! ASK ME HOW!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

It may have something to do with load balancing as well. If it's anything like a Citrix environment, having 100 people on one server and only 50 on another, can cause instability across the board. That is, after it takes into account, friends, crew mates, etc,. It could have something to do with your time zone too. I know I tend to log on at weird hours because of my schedule. If I log on at around noonish, I am more apt to get European players because of the 7-8 hour time different (I am in Chicago).

RagunCajin
  • RagunCajin

Shove it up your ass.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

The cloud knows all, the cloud sees all. We must worship the almighty cloud. All hail the cloud, our supreme overlord.

leeroyjones87
  • leeroyjones87

Lenny

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Just checked my upload speed, I don't think 0.50 mbps is too good then? Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users