Does Rockstar still hate modding?

16 replies to this topic
Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

I remember whenRockstar were never against modding until Hot Coffee mod fiasco was released in GTA SAN. That's when rockstar got pissed because they got sued by several people for programming sex in the game ( even though it was removed in the game but was reactivated by modders).Hence,rockstar patch GTA SA from Version 1 to version 3 ( u can't mod gta san in version 3).

Rockstar did it again when GTA 4 files were encrypted ( I think it took 2 years for GTA 4 to be unencrypted completely ) .

Do you think Rockstar will allow mods in GTA 5?

Luna Lovegood
  • Luna Lovegood

You're just sane as i am

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

They never against modding, they feature many modding videos in R* newswire

• pg1313, sivaG, Excolis and 5 others like this

Lemans
  • Lemans

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

R* has featured GTA IV mods in their Newswire a few times now. If they are against modding, they sure must be bipolar.

• Excolis likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:42 AM Edited by Andreas, 14 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

I don't think that Rockstar was ever against modding. If that were the case, they would never have made articles on their newswire that featured videos of various modifications in the past. They just stopped to support them officially, as far as I know, but they know very well that modding is actually a good thing and one of the reasons why the PC version is so demanded. The Hot Coffee fiasco was their own fault, by the way, because if they had removed the code altogether then no-one would've been able to reactivate it in the first place. That's what I think, at least. Lack of official support only means they don't release tools to make it easier for people to mod their games, which is what they did with the 2D-era GTAs.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hot Coffe fiasco wasn't Rockstar's fault. It was society's fault. Killing people, stealing cars exploding stuff is fine for a video game, but sex is unacceptable?

• GroundZero, GAMIR_GTA, K20 and 3 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

I don't think that Rockstar was ever against modding. If that were the case, they would never have made articles on their newswire that featured videos of various modifications in the past. They just stopped to support them officially, as far as I know, but they know very well that modding is actually a good thing and one of the reasons why the PC version is so demanded. The Hot Coffee fiasco was their own fault, by the way, because if they had removed the code altogether then no-one would've been able to reactivate it in the first place. That's what I think, at least. Lack of official support only means they don't release tools to make it easier for people to mod their games, which is what they did with the 2D-era GTAs.

Exactly. Do you think they might change their opinion in the future? I have always felt GTA games have a longer life span on PC because of modding. I spent so much time designing my own GTA2 maps with the GTA2 Map Editor.

Cheers.

ASNAEB
  • ASNAEB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hot Coffe fiasco wasn't Rockstar's fault. It was society's fault. Killing people, stealing cars exploding stuff is fine for a video game, but sex is unacceptable?

Exactly. Rockstar went through so much sh*t for that.

Rockstar has been kind of in the middle of the 'accepting modding' spectrum. They didn't go out of their way to either prevent modding or to really promote it I think. On the extreme ends of the spectrum would be like the latest Call of Duty's which completely ruined modding even though it was quite big in Call of Duty 4, and Bethesda that released the Creation kit which makes modding very easy.

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

IV on PC was all about modding. I regard hot coffee as a blocked scene that can be accessed. nothing more. 

i consider modding to be changes to map, vehicles, peds, everything really. its what makes the PC version sell copied, the fact that you'll be about to customise and but unlimited cheats [native trainer woop woop!!!]

and can you imagine iceenhancer for V... :panic:

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

Brave Wholeheartedly Loser

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Rockstar did it again when GTA 4 files were encrypted ( I think it took 2 years for GTA 4 to be unencrypted completely ) .

I do believe the protection was to prevent Multiplayer from being overwhelmed with hacks/cheats - just like in most Online Game, they want to make sure everyone playing MP to have original client.

Stevilknievel
  • Stevilknievel

Outlaw

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Of course they don't mind modding as long as its limited to your SP experience, like people said above they regularly feature mods on their newswire.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:47 PM Edited by AlasClarin, 14 June 2014 - 02:47 PM.

I remember whenRockstar were never against modding until Hot Coffee mod fiasco was released in GTA SAN. That's when rockstar got pissed because they got sued by several people for programming sex in the game ( even though it was removed in the game but was reactivated by modders).Hence,rockstar patch GTA SA from Version 1 to version 3 ( u can't mod gta san in version 3).

Rockstar NEVER did hate modding.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Honestly, if they want to keep modding out of competitive, public Online gameplay, that's perfectly fine. Just don't lock modding in Story Mode or private matches with friends.

GTA: Online is an entirely separate game, one that happens to have a very real connection to V at this point in time, but this will change quickly as V's Singleplayer gets older. and as Online gets stuffed with more content. It needs to stand on its own, that includes having its own protection and ways to deal with cheaters and abusers of all kinds. 

It's not just a multiplayer mode for GTA V, is what I'm saying. 

Ruscris2
  • Ruscris2

Snow Storm

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

They don't hate it, they just don't support it. The reason everytime the game gets patched mods are broken is because everytime the game is compiled the values for certain things like health, money, etc, get new memory addresses. That's how computer programs work, rockstar doesn't do it with the bad intention.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Sueing R* just because GTA SA had sex scene but no nude people were shown. They had sex with clothes on.

And yet those f*cking mental retarded pathetic horrible f*cked-up people were sueing them just only for that??????????????????????

I lost faith in the humanity.

Black Metal
  • Black Metal

Poles and Zeroes

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Man they kinda support it

See it on R* social club videos made by Jantsuu are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

Antaxi
  • Antaxi

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

in online hell yeah!

in single player no they didn't

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Just remember GTA IV didn't "support" mods.  and look how much people were able to do with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users