Do you think any past protags could have done the torture scene

86 replies to this topic
Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Toni Cipriani would definently, so would Tommy (only if he got a good reason to do so, he only reasons with people) And Claude would do it without a shadow of a doubt. 

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by The Gardener, 14 August 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Tommy V and Toni Cipriani. Especially Toni Cipriani, who's one of the more under-rated protagonists.

During Toni's story some pretty sick sh*t happens. The chainsaw massacre thing and I seem to recall there being suggestions he cut someone up into tiny pieces with a butchers axe.

I do think however Trevor is by far the craziest, screw loose protag there has been. You could argue Claude is but overall he's very poor character wise.

I know this is about protags but I can also picture a vast array of other characters who'd do it. Eddie Low and Frank Tenpenny come to mind initially. Billy Grey would also enjoy doing it.

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

StephenJY3
  • StephenJY3

is epic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Claude and Tommy.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Grove4Life

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:54 PM Edited by Son of Zeus, 14 August 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Tommy would do it, as he's always trying to show how badass he is. CJ would probably refuse, since he isn't that 'badass'. However, he would do it if any family or friend related sh*t was on the line. Quote Big Smoke: 'Ice cold, baby!'. Vic and Toni....doubtful. Huang Lee might. The great *cough* *cough* warrior Niko would first become all emotional about how he doesn't want to do this, then like the first class hypocrite he is, would do it. Claude......it would be better not to talk about him. Michael would refuse( 'I'm NOT Trevor!'). Franklin would run away( 'This ain't right, dog'). Johnny wouldn't. Bruce might.

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

The question is would gta protagonists inflict harm on someone in order to acquire or achieve something they themselves or their superiors want?

That's a tough one.

And yes, that's all this is, someone inflicting harm on another person to achieve something or following orders from superiors, or complying to a "suggestion" from someone with leverage over them, as in this case. This isn't really that atrocious, relatively speaking compared the general mayhem caused.

Just because the violence is carried out in a a specific and ritualized manner and setting that's subject to contemporary controversy, doesn't change anything of practical relevance on the actual activity, nor it's effect on the victim. But morally, suddenly it's torture, and we talked about this remember? It's bad. We should be "too good" for this. And so forth.

Meanwhile, in chumash, a random bearded southpaw smoking on the balcony get his head perforated by a sniper, he's dead. Few even mention this arbitrary killing, because it is not subject to controverse, even though arguably the more irreparable and ultimate action committed in that mission. Is it really worse in a moral sense to torture, then it is to kill?

The only controversial issue should be that in story context this is perpetrated by government, the torture itself is irrelevant, only needed to serve as an alibi that the killing was carried out based on intelligence, in fact Haines already had a name prior to the torture, and never asks the victim of anything specific. The torture scene itself was a distraction from other relevant events.

A bit off topic, but i remember the hype around this scene in certain media, and among those who wrote feverishly about an extreemely disturbing depiction of torture, i did not see any mention of the murder carried out in a quite arbitrary manner by a government on domestic soil, let alone any noted indignation or weight attributed to this killing. I call posturing and totally missing the point, but then again, probably the point behind this(fknwidppl?). The only thing that shocked me regarding that torture is that it was a goddamn quicktime event.

tl;dr version

To answer without digressing, I would bet most, if not all in question would do this, in their enviroment it's a fairly trivial matter to do harm. Granted trevor would probably be more willing then most, as he says "torture is for the good times"....
  • LILSPILLYUM likes this

Colognenigguh
  • Colognenigguh

OG

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Claude Would no doubt
Toni would do it

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:20 PM Edited by Filip454, 15 August 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Tommy and Claude

Just look at his revenge face in my sig.

VCR
  • VCR

plus+

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

niko will do anything for the dollar

Shadowlarvitar
  • Shadowlarvitar

Proud Saints Row Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Niko- He'd probably bitch if he wasn't being paid

Johnny- I'm sure he'd do it if the reason was good enough

Luis- No

Micheal- If his family was at stake, hell yeah

Franklin- Would whine like a bitch and say no

Jeone
  • Jeone

S.H.A.R.P

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

Niko might of done it

Target13
  • Target13

Member of the Row

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Claude would do it but he won't be as badass as Tommy. (if Tommy did it.)

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Niko may object based on trying to be a better person and start a new life. CJ would object. Tommy... totally OK with it if it suited him to do it. Michael or Franklin, for argument's sake... no way.

Trevor definitely definitely has the least dissonance with it though.

Scene wasn't really that bad though. Airport massacre is COD MW2 or most of the gore deaths in Soldier of Fortune 2, or just in general the theme or Manhunt or Postal are far worse. 

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

CJ would object. 

CJ would nuke a city if somebody asked him. he also already tortured somebody.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

different context. and he always had whiny and unexpectedly prissy morals to tenpenny he'd be even worse with steve haines

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:53 AM Edited by CasualSergiu, 17 August 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Honestly, I think Claude would sure do it, he's like a programmer, would do anything without caring less if paid and/or acknowledged. Almost as if he's bored.

Tommy would do it out of anger.

CJ wouldn't do it unless someone calls his sister a hoe.

Toni would do it out of anger and/or to prove something.

Vic wouldn't do it, he'd just start guilt trippin' in his corner.

Niko would do it but there would be lots of drama, weather effects, dramatic sound design, etc.

Johnny would do it only if he'd have to, being the laid back smooth guy he is, he'd go easy on the tortured one.
Luis would do it. That proves the fact he's got no character and that he's just a manipulative and self centered 'bouncer'.

Trevor would do it, ooops, he actually did it. Michael would say that it is too dirty and mindless for him, but he'd still do it. Franklin would only complain about it and do nothing, just standing around like the useless character he is.

Mike would do it even though he wouldn't really like to. Huang could do it but he'd be shocked and would also bitch about it a little bit. Still, could get the job done.
I think mentioning the GTA1/L69;61 is not even worth it as they're all psychotic killers. Claude Speed is just Claude's other worldly counterpart (parallel universe).

• Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Niko would do it but there would be lots of drama, weather effects, dramatic sound design, etc.

You nailed it, bro! ha ha!!

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

I think most of them could do it.Some protagonists even tortured someone in their games,CJ tied Johnny Sindacco to a car and was torturing him by speeding and doing stunts with that car,Johnny Klebitz tortured that mechanic by pushing his face into a spinning bike tire to find out where Billy´s bike is,Victor Vance kept Brian Forbes tied to a chair in some abandoned building and questioned him...

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:16 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 17 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

You nailed it, bro! ha ha!!

Yeah, there's always an orchestra and a few guys with a camera set following Niko everywhere, causing artificial heavy rain and sound effects when needed.
These guys make some serious dough. :p

CarlitoDorito
  • CarlitoDorito

R* Defender

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

I actually think niko could, but he would be sad about it.

nobum62
  • nobum62

some guy who just got into the santa hat fad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

claude, toni, tommy, and i think huang would if they will get paid

niko wouldn't unless he has no other options for being paid

i honestly can't see victor and michael doing it

franklin would do it but only because he has no personality

trevor already tortured someone and CJ did too IIRC

luis would do it but would complain during/after torturing the guy

johnny would do it if the torture victim was trevor

• Miamivicecity and LanaDelRey888 like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

johnny would do it if the torture victim was trevor

Hell yeah.

DMC14
  • DMC14

Tiger Force 1

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:56 AM Edited by DMC14, 18 August 2014 - 12:59 AM.

Killing people and torturing are completely different things, some will kill cause of money but none of the other protags have ever tortured any one. Death is just business,torture of a person is on a whole other level

unless its business.

Has anyone played the Punisher on PS2?

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

I would have loved to see Tommy do it. He's perfect for it.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

I can't seem to imaginate tommy doing it. Imagine, GTA VC engine with Tommy torturing a random dude. It would be so funny LOL

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

Tommy could have done it without any hesitation. He's the person I still remember to this day as the chainsaw psycho.

I think Huang, Toni could do it too.

Sp3cial_H3rbs
  • Sp3cial_H3rbs

Hash Masta

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

It would have been interesting if The Truth did the torture scene. He's not a protag, but it would be interesting because he's one of those "unusual" characters, if you played GTA SA you'd know what I mean.

The truth was a hippie. He'd be the last person to do that scene.

he'd be too high to remember why he was their in the first place.

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:36 AM Edited by JustRob, 19 August 2014 - 12:36 AM.

The reason why that torture mission is so great is because only Trevor could do it. It takes a special kind of insane psychopath to be able to do that to a man, and requires a strong stomach. Personally I could watch it all no problem, but sometimes on a TV show when they torture someone (Sons of Anarchy) I can barely stand to look. This torture mission wasn't extremely bloody or gory, but still, imagine having to rip someone's teeth out with some pliers while they're crying out in pain.

Even with all that said, I thought the torture mission in GTAV was relatively soft. Like I said, there's not much gore, and I've seen far worse on TV, like breaking fingers one by one or cutting off / ripping off limbs.

Anyway, the only reason people say "Claude and Tommy would have done it" is because Claude and Tommy were flat characters with no personality whatsoever, literally in the case of Claude. He was never meant to be a character, he was meant to represent the player. And Tommy is basically Scarface only not as badass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users