14 replies to this topic
Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hey community !

Most of the picture of New York can be resumed by this stereotypical skyline with the statue of Liberty on front of it, nothing that can really reflects the diversity of NY btw.

I just found a picture that really remembers me New York and especially Staunton Island from the game, that more like it, isn't it ? ;)

New-York-Bridge-Fog-Rain-9756.jpg?q=65&s

• Saschaboy likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

"The last few weeks, people are getting crazier and crazier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hey community !

Most of the picture of New York can be resumed by this stereotypical skyline with the statue of Liberty on front of it, nothing that can really reflects the diversity of NY btw.

I just found a picture that really remembers me New York and especially Staunton Island from the game, that more like it, isn't it ? ;)

New-York-Bridge-Fog-Rain-9756.jpg?q=65&s

GTA IV's Broker Bridge :inlove:

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Nice shot ! For me, East Algonquin looks more like this shot :) .

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'm not too familiar with GTA IV, but I know that in real life New York it's Manhattan.

• Saschaboy likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

I never thought of III's Liberty City as a remake of NYC. Rather, I thought of it as an ambiguous northeast city.

• Jeansowaty, Zello, Spadge007 and 1 other like this

Johan
  • Johan

Super!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

Ah Manhattan <3

And I agree with UT

• universetwisters likes this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Agreed. Except the Dark and dull atmosphere of crime, nothing about III's Libery City's even close to NYC.

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

Agreed. Except the Dark and dull atmosphere of crime, nothing about III's Libery City's even close to NYC.

I have to agree with universtwisters, however there are a lot of common points with NY, you're exagerating ..

• Saschaboy likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

I have to agree with universtwisters, however there are a lot of common points with NY, you're exagerating ..

What do they have in common? All I can see is a building that vaguely resembles the Empire State Building and that's it.

• Saschaboy likes this

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:55 PM Edited by Spadge007, 14 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

The Beta NYPD color sheme, the Brooklyn Bridge/Boutoug 59th street bridge (Callahan Bridge), the elevated subway in Queens (especially Portland being a mix which ressembles Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens a lot), Broadway, Center park, West-Bank building, Overlaping Expressway at Staunton (which strongly ressembles to the one on the posted pic), Shoreside Vale heavily based on the suburbs in Long Island, New Jersey, Hackensack, all the ladders around the typical red brick block appartements in Portland. Last two elements are typical and proper to NY.

d982e1f63aa4da47812c6de400b9c503.jpg

Do you were in New York already ? There's not just Manhattan.

1402775221-mta-train-nr-7-new-york-city.

1402775183-brooklyn-new-york.jpg

Those builduings strongly recall Portlands DT district

1402775210-queens-plaza1.jpg

From Portland to Staunton

1402775222-queens-plaza-station-5bbt-jeh

1402775227-tumblr-m7ejhfkfd11qeurspo1-12I have the feeling I'm standing in the red light district

1402775228-7-subway-platform.jpg

http://gta.wikia.com...y_(3D_Universe)

GTAIII_LCPD_copcar_change.jpg

"A comparison of the same present pre-release screenshot (as of April 2006) from GameSpot (top), among several gaming websites, and the official Grand Theft Auto III website (bottom). GameSpot's version depicts police cars resembling those of theNYPD pre-2000, while the official, edited version adopts a more generic black-and-white design used by many police departments such as the LAPDand SFPD."

caprice0001.jpg

Of course, nothing's 1:1, and the city is only loosely based on NY, also mixed with Chicago & Detroit. There's a lot of things missing, but overall Liberty City ressembles NY, without imitating it like in IV, where a lot of things are very accurate, or LS on LA or SF.

LC is definitely an North-east state like you said it, but the most influences come from NY.

EDIT : Be careful, one member said "it's not even close to NY", there is were I disagree, I never said it was a remake.

• Cake* Games and Saschaboy like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

*The Callahan Bridge looks nothing like the Brooklyn Bridge, from the material it's made out of (Brooklyn Bridge was made from bricks, Callahan Bridge was made with what appears to be concrete) to the number of suspension towers.

*Lots of cities have elevated trains, such as Chicago and Philadelphia.

*The ladders you posted are fire escapes. They're seen on nearly every tall building

As you said, it's only loosely based off NY, but I wouldn't say it's overall resembling it. It's just a mix of multiple Northeastern cities and saying that it's based on one city or another doesn't do it justice.

• Saschaboy likes this

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:13 PM Edited by Spadge007, 14 June 2014 - 08:20 PM.

I never said it was based on NY, just inspired. Did you read the article on the GTA wiki ? Pay attention to the picture about the districts  :)

IMPORTANT : I edited my post, you might have missed some changes here and there.

The Callahan Bridge is a mix between a few bridges, but on the arrival side to Staunton it recalls a lot Manhattan.

Those specific bricks buildings are typical of NY, just facts. Google those from Chicago etc. they differ

However, yes Chicago ressembles to LC, but just in some points, the landmarks evoke NY more. There's no beach a Staunton, or no water canal in the island itself, howver the vegetation and the fountains recall Chicago a lot.

The beta cop cars are a NY exclusive.

• Saschaboy likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I never said it was based on NY, just inspired. Did you read the article on the GTA wiki ? Pay attention to the picture about the districts  :)

I wouldn't say the GTAWiki is a 100% reliable source. They say that the Red Light District is based off The Block in Baltimore, but aside from the fact that there are sex shops, I see no other resemblance. It says Hepburn Heights is based off the Queensbridge projects, but who's to say they didn't base it off UK housing projects, which also look similar?

• Saschaboy likes this

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:48 PM Edited by Spadge007, 14 June 2014 - 09:50 PM.

Big cities have a similar structure and so does western modern architecture. I think we can find similarities to many metropoles.

However, trough some allusive details like the beta cop car sheme, the island formation, the name "Liberty City" itself which was a reference to NY in games like GTA 1 (where most of the time only one letter differenced the in-game district name with the RL district-name : Hackensack --> Hackenslash) and IV (where Liberty City is obiously based on New york) Rockstar showed their intention to create a dark north-east city metropole inspired by big western cities like New York, Chicago etc.  

I found your formulation : "ambiguous northeast city" very fitting, I never opposed myself to it. I just disagreed with ArchKnight, who said "nothing about III's Libery City's even close to NYC" because there are a lot of elements from NY which are found in Liberty again. Since New York is one of the most known and influencal northeast cities in the world, it's only evident that elements from it return. 

• Saschaboy likes this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Yeah, we happy

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Even if it's based on several east coat cities to most people from outside of the U.S NYC is probably the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of LC in GTA III.

How many foreigners do you think picked up similarities to other cities in 2001? NYC clearly wasn't the only inspiration, but it was arguably the primary one.

I've always believed this was R*'s intention, but they didn't do it the way they wanted hence why IV went on a true look of NYC.
  • Spadge007 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users