Is a bad port better than no port?

47 replies to this topic
ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'll pre-order the sh*t out of this, no second thoughts.

All I'm seeing around here is "I'm not confident that I have the power to run this on Ultra, so I'll complain about pre-orders to make myself feel better when my Intel Core Duo and Intel HD graphics chip aren't up to scratch to play the game."

GTAIV had a rough launch, but guess what, if your PC didn't suck ass it didn't really matter.

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

i saw no problem with the way IV was on PC. i didn't get the change to play the console version, but the PC version didn't have any issues as far as i can see. 

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Development on the PC version was already in full swing back in 2012, alongside 360 & PS3. My guess will remain the same. They built the best PC version they could with the time and resources they were given, then ported the game to NG using that PC version as a solid base for the whole thing.

Exactly. That's what I am thinking and believing. PC version was developed along with PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Rockstar used the PC version as their base platform to build(port it to) PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM Edited by Xerukal, 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM.

According to Ash, PS4 development also began simultaneously with the PC version. Since Sony was on time (or early) with the PS4 build they gave to Rockstar (i'm not sure if that's how it works, exactly, but you get the point). 

I'm thinking the PS4 was instantly benefiting from all the testing done on the PC. Then the Xbone development started earlier because Microsoft was slow as sh*te. Hence the delays (among other reasons, I'm sure). 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Bad port > no port at all.

I'm looking at you Red Dead series.

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

I'm looking foward for special collectors ultra rare things nerd pride pre order bonus.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Yes, but a good port is better than a bad one... and no port.

• Smaher. likes this

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:20 AM Edited by Stinky12, 14 June 2014 - 02:48 AM.

Who cares what others say, if you want to play the game then get it. I had already pre-ordered it for the PC and can't wait until it's released.

I also got GTA IV for PC like a few days after it was launched, didn't have any issues liked others had talked about. If one was to buy the game, just for

the sake of finding faults because it's a port, then why bother getting it? All they're doing is looking for those minor flaws, which isn't even a huge issues at

all, instead of enjoying it.

What GTA V is a port? There must be problems.

Aha, I think I found a problem.

*Takes magnifier puts on monitor to take a closer look at that piece of sausage*

OMG, the circumference of that sausage isn't round!

Gots to post a topic on the internet, so everyone can know about it and prove how bad this port is, pronto!

:bored:

As for bonus, I hope we can also get the blimp. Always want to fly the blimp or some call it the airship.

Loves GTA
  • Loves GTA

GTAIV > GTAV

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Of course getting a bad port is better than getting nothing at all. Dark Souls on PC is a perfect example of this. It was pretty much a direct port of the console versions, but thanks to the mighty Durante, his DSfix mod made it the definitive version and what it should have been to begin with. 

One of the great things about PC gaming; If the devs f*ck it up and don't want to/can't fix it, someone else can. If the devs f*ck it up and don't want to/can't fix it on consoles, you're stuck with what you have forever.

That said, I think the PC version of GTAV will be great; maybe some minor issues at launch but overall I think it will be a solid, competent offering and easily the best version of the game.

• sivaG and AlasClarin like this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

If a bad port is better than no port. Is a great port better than a straight make?

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I just want to play a stable game on my preferred platform, PC. That is all that I am asking for.

Cheers.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

PC version will probably be a port from PS4 version.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Rockstar Toronto was responsible for GTA IV, they're also listed as doing the PC version of 5 as well..
http://en.wikipedia....ockstar_Toronto

There was no confirmation yet which studio is responsibe for the PS4, Xbox One and PC versions of GTAV, but Rockstar Toronto is certainly not ruled out. That is not a bad thing at all, though. They were the ones who made IV for PC and they didn't do a great job, but they have learnt their lesson years ago.

The Vancouver studio was responsible for the three major platform releases of Max Payne 3 and they did an amazing job with the PC version. The studio closed not too long after MP3 was released. A lot of employees there moved to other Rockstar studios, quite a few of them to Toronto. So, I think that is actually a great thing. They have years of experience now, so the chances that they screw up V PC as well is considerably lower than it was with IV. The engine is still the same, despite having been upgraded a lot in all the years, and its optimization was outstanding on all platforms MP3 and V were released for [so far].

GTA V isn't a port. /thread

Can you prove that?

The fact that they worked on it since at least 2012 suggests that it can hardly be considered a port. Furthermore, the term "port" is often misused - modern videogames don't get ported anymore. III, Vice City and San Andreas, for example, were all ported to mobile platforms, as far as I know. These games are old and they were not developed with mobile devices in mind in the early 2000's.

I don't know in detail how it exactly works, but I know that the way games are developed in the modern day and age is completely different. They don't get ported anymore, because there is one base version which gets adapted to all platforms available.

When it comes to porting, why do people think it'll be port of the PS3 version but not the PS4 one? After all, they're being released together.

It's doubtful that the PC version would be a port from either version, if it is a port at all, which isn't very likely. The reason for it is simple. It makes very little sense to port an AAA title from the PS3 to PC since the former has an entirely different architecture that is insanely difficult to work with. It took more than half a decade until developers were finally able to use the capabilities of the consoles to its full extent in more than just one or two games. It is not like videogames became easier to develop for the platform, as the programming is still very hard. It would make more sense to port the Xbox 360 version to PC, as it is far simpler to work with, but, again, games usually don't get ported anymore.

Performance has never been an issue with any of the Rockstar's console ports. GTA IV used to run quite well for me on PC. Even EFLC and TLAD were quite fast.

It works fine today, over five years after the PC launch. I mean, it would be terrible if that weren't the case. But the point still stands: IV was never a good port and the game was awfully optimized. The PS3 version also had its problems, particularly the framerate, but it was nowhere as bad as on PC. It was and is acceptable, at the very least.

I am aware that they had little to no experience with RAGE on the x86-architecture, because the engine was new and IV was the first large game they had released for the PS3 and Xbox 360. But the only reason the game runs acceptable today is that the hardware evolved in the meantime. Users with AMD GPUs had massive problems when the game arrived for PC and even High-End PCs from back then struggled to run IV at medium settings. For whatever reason, not everyone was plagued with all those problems.

To answer the question of the topic creator: yes, a bad port would be better than no port at all. Even if your PC isn't capable of running the game on middle or high settings, because the performance is really that horrible, it will be possible to run it the way you want in the not-so-distant future. It's a shame that seemingly great titles like RDR never made it to the PC. Just look at Dark Souls! This title was one of the worst ports of all time and it outsold the console versions big time.
  • Marty892 and Xerukal like this

Stevilknievel
  • Stevilknievel

Outlaw

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

PC users read that and be like 

tumblr_lgd0jhjt781qacqyoo1_400.gif

MichaelPayneV
  • MichaelPayneV

Almost Gamer

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

The Answer is Yes, something Bad is always better then nothing, not matter the situation!

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

The Answer is Yes, something Bad is always better then nothing, not matter the situation!

What if you had choice of meteor strike or not?

No strike, would be better.

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Actually, I think it is the other way around. PlayStation 4 was ported from the PC build.

• .Michael De Santa. likes this

webe123
  • webe123

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

I think the post is stupid! I would rather have a game that runs at the very leats decent. ' nuff said!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users