Photo

Is a bad port better than no port?

47 replies to this topic
Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:02 AM Edited by Vicetopia, 13 June 2014 - 03:05 AM.

There seems to be a disagreement within the GTA community.

People are speaking out against pre-ordering, mostly due to the uncertain nature of the game's port quality... The biggest concern being what happened with GTA 4.

But even if GTA 5 is as bad as GTA 4 was at launch, would you still buy it and play it?  Is the game 'good enough' to justify playing it even if it runs poorly or has other issues?
This is where I disagree with the community -- I can still enjoy a PC game even if it's poorly made, as long as the game itself is enjoyable.  GTA 4 ran badly, but I still loved every minute of it and I never regretted buying it.  Although, of course, I wish I had higher fps at launch.

Would you rather Rockstar pass on the PC platform entirely, rather than release a bad port?  If we, as PC gamers, decide to not buy bad ports, doesn't that discourage developers from making PC games entirely?

inb4 "GTA 5 isn't a port".

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:05 AM Edited by Xerukal, 13 June 2014 - 03:06 AM.

It is better, yes. But enjoyment of said bad port should not come at the cost of encouraging further bad ports because It's just easier for the devs/publishers to make money that way. 

I do think It's good enough, but I think a bad PC version of V would be unacceptable, given the time Rockstar has taken. 

Also...

Spoiler

• yakprince and Määhhh like this

hungrywhiteboy
  • hungrywhiteboy

wait what

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:06 AM Edited by hungrywhiteboy, 13 June 2014 - 03:08 AM.

People who say they would rather have no port than a bad port are like children who get told they can't have a full bag of sweets so they throw a tantrum and throw the half of their bag that they already have on the floor.

IV wasn't as bad as people make out... Yeah, it was bad, but hey, it worked for the most part.

Obviously I'm expecting it to be really good quality tho seeing as they took so damn long to make it... so if we were to get a bad port I'd be majorly disappointed but it's still better than no game at all.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

Stevilknievel
  • Stevilknievel

Outlaw

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:13 AM

They've learned from their mistakes I reckon, GTA V will be amazing on PC, and like Xerukal said I don't think its port. I have a feeling they built the PC version from the ground up alongside the last gen versions but waited until now to announce it, hell they'll still be polishing it for release this fall , and it will be glorious!!

• Määhhh likes this

weidncol
  • weidncol

World Trade Center Mod Manager

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

There's a major difference between a port (GTA IV) and a remastered iteration (GTA V). I'm pretty sure it's pretty self explanatory what the differences would be...

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:14 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 13 June 2014 - 04:17 AM.

The problem with IV is that it was pretty much developed as an afterthought by a separate dev team and did not really get enough care before release. We got the same people who did the superb Max Payne 3 port (Which actually wasn't a port at all, it was the source platform) on GTA V, so it's safe not to worry for now. There's enough evidence to say V on PC was developed alongside and will not be a port. Some of the changelogs suggest the console versions themselves are a port of PC.

• Määhhh likes this

Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

Rockstar Toronto was responsible for GTA IV, they're also listed as doing the PC version of 5 as well..

http://en.wikipedia....ockstar_Toronto

weidncol
  • weidncol

World Trade Center Mod Manager

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

They did Max Payne 3 also, but that was amazing. They learned their lesson with GTA IV.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

GTA V isn't a port. /thread

• weidncol likes this

Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:46 AM Edited by Vicetopia, 13 June 2014 - 04:47 AM.

Can you prove that?
Even if it was built from the ground-up for PC, it could still run like ass.  How many games have PC as the "lead platform" and still horribly unoptimized?  The label is irrelevant when it comes to performance.

Both RPS and Polygon referred to GTA V PC as a port.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Can you prove that?
Even if it was built from the ground-up for PC, it could still run like ass.  How many games have PC as the "lead platform" and still horribly unoptimized?  The label is irrelevant when it comes to performance.

We can't know for sure if it's a port or not, but it's the best choice if you have to decide between make the lead platform PS4, Xbox One and PC now that they all share the same architecture.

meck01
  • meck01

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:37 AM Edited by meck01, 13 June 2014 - 05:37 AM.

GTA IV wasn't that bad - it took a few patches, but in the end it runs fine.

Hopefully this will be less of an issue in the years to come as consoles and p.c are so similar in hardware tech now.

I would rather a bad port than none at all.

• Määhhh likes this

VIPΣR
  • VIPΣR

Doesn't give up the fight

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

It's not going to be port the dev log proves it.

I heared that R* Toronto seems to be working on V. They were the ones who ported IV, but that doesn't mean that it is going to run as bad as IV, because people from the R* Vancouver Studio(Max Payne 3) moved to Toronto and they did a great job with Max Payne 3.

I wasn't able to play GTA IV and Max Payne 3 without patches. I guess the same will happen with V but I hope not.

Antaxi
  • Antaxi

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

Can you prove that?

We can't know for sure if it's a port or not, but it's the best choice if you have to decide between make the lead platform PS4, Xbox One and PC now that they all share the same architecture.

sony ps4 is the lead platform of GTAV  cuz they paid R* for exclusive content on PS4. simply

Geez what a money whores!

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

I'll still buy the game. It's not the porting which makes it bad, but rather the laziness of not improving the game further. When it comes to porting, why do people think it'll be port of the PS3 version but not the PS4 one? After all, they're being released together.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Obviously, yes. But, thankfully, either of that isn't the case.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Bad ports should never ever be acceptable. You have to remember these companies are still charging us full premium for something they know runs like a hog, but want the quick cash grab. I think it's dangerous for us as consumers to set the mind set that we should be thankful the company bothered with us at all. Set the standards that we expect better for our platform!

I've got no concerns about GTA V though. Max Payne 3 was amazing to play on PC, and I can't see them slipping back from there now.

Luna Lovegood
  • Luna Lovegood

You're just sane as i am

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Can you prove that?

sony ps4 is the lead platform of GTAV  cuz they paid R* for exclusive content on PS4. simply

Geez what a money whores!

PC logs were found in PS3/X360 files, can you explain that?

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Even though GTA IV was a terrible port, I had no major issues with it at all.. and now that my gaming laptop is 5x faster than my old 6970 on my gaming PC, I have no concerns on however GTA V runs.

I'd take a bad port over no game at all.

• sivaG likes this

Marty892
  • Marty892

Hustler

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Leave that poor GTA IV alone, it was a first game on new gen at a time, R* didn't have much experience with new engine and in addition PC version was ported from x360.

GTA V is definitely going to work like a charm.

It's not a port!, we can expect a really good optimization since it's going to xbone and PS4 which basically are a PC with locked hardware.

R* should say something about this like they do with Max Payne 3.

TBone1977
  • TBone1977

jokerpro69 pixelhunter97

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Even though GTA IV was a terrible port, I had no major issues with it at all.. and now that my gaming laptop is 5x faster than my old 6970 on my gaming PC, I have no concerns on however GTA V runs.

I'd take a bad port over no game at all.

the same problem exist with me?

Gta V might be directx 10 supported?

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Performance has never been an issue with any of the Rockstar's console ports. GTA IV used to run quite well for me on PC. Even EFLC and TLAD were quite fast.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Yes

At least we would have the game. They can always release patches to fix it afterwards if they wanted. If the game isnt even on the platform then we'd have no hope.

Performer
  • Performer

I'M RICH, BIATCH!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

No port at all would be very bad.

Even if it was another "IV port" I could live with it.

What I can't live with are the scumbags who have constantly posted: "PC fa**ots. You never get a PC version. Get over it. XBOX (or PS3) rules." or something simmilar. Now I can show those f*ckers the finger... That statisfaction :)

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:50 AM Edited by Xerukal, 13 June 2014 - 11:54 AM.

Can you prove that?

That is because the term "port" seems to have become fairly loose and synonymous with the general term "PC version". 

I can try and prove it, though. 

Spoiler

So with all of these, you get the point. Development on the PC version was already in full swing back in 2012, alongside 360 & PS3. My guess will remain the same. They built the best PC version they could with the time and resources they were given, then ported the game to NG using that PC version as a solid base for the whole thing. 

These build logs are trustworthy. It's just that they're very old and people tend to forget about them. They were covered a few days after original console launch by several "bigger" media sites, and were proven to be legitimate after several users confirmed their findings to be identical. 

By the way, Rockstar doesn't have lead platforms. They mentioned this during development of Max Payne 3, I think. They just work on the version they're focused on.  

• Määhhh, _Kindled_ and oCrapaCreeper like this

MysteryX2
  • MysteryX2

GTA V PC PLAYER

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes.. A bed port is alot better than no port.. I want GTA V now!! <3

Määhhh
  • Määhhh

What are you looking at?

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

At first i dont care if its a port. But the game must be well optimized and run smoothly, even its a port. Thats the point. If its developed on pc and not a port and run smoothly the better.

Maro Hannover
  • Maro Hannover

Scriptboy

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Who have a flying knife just Throw it at Those people who are agnaist PC port of GTA V

Shiest Bubble
  • Shiest Bubble

Snitch

• The Lost MC
  • Suriname

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Funnily enough GTA IV didn't actually run bad that in later patches, most people were upset they were that their "super" PC would *only* give them FPS in the low-mid 30s with everything on ultra with every slider full and not the 60 fps they get in linear games.

The game will in all likelihood have it's issues, but it's better than not having a PC version at all. If it's really that bad, you can expect the community to butcher it until it runs good.

Yorpie
  • Yorpie

I fought the law and the law lost.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yes, it is imo.

Take Saints Row 2, that PC port was terrible as f*ck but it still was a lot of fun playing despite occasional lag problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users