Quantcast

» «
Photo

Am I the only one who doesn't bother with armor upgrades?

101 replies to this topic
LahTigre
  • LahTigre

Miss Demeanor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:00 PM Edited by LahTigre, 14 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

While I don't find it useless as the OP, I won't buy it for most cars for few reasons:
- It's expensive to put on everything, especially in conjunction with BP tires.
- Most cars I garage are fleeting acquisitions, and the level of expense for those upgrades means I would just be throwing money away if I were to sell the car right away.
- I have not leveled high enough for 100% armor quite yet, I'm not willing to waste money on a lower level upgrade for the 2 or 3 cars I want to optimize.
- Getting a personal vehicle destroyed by small arms fire is rare in my experience. Most people that seek to destroy your car just cut the crap and use explosives. NPCs destroying them with gunfire is rarer still; if I get a vehicle destroyed when dealing with NPCs, the fault it usually my own.

And contrary to popular opinion, it is fun to me to have a personal vehicle that can really get beaten to hell and look the part.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

- I have not leveled high enough for 100% armor quite yet, I'm not willing to waste money on a lower level upgrade for the 2 or 3 cars I want to optimize.

this is something you might want to consider

I ended up buying armor three times on some of my vehicles

kind of a waste of money

Accendo
  • Accendo

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

https://support.rock...make-it-slower-
You can check the other numerous threads where people note the weight change affecting acceleration and come to the exact same conclusion. But apparently you guys have literally ALL the facts, right?

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

yea you're the only one

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:58 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 14 June 2014 - 03:59 PM.

people have dug up all stats pertaining to vehicles from the games code none of which were affected by armor

but hey why bother with actual research when your gut feeling tells you you're right XD

Accendo
  • Accendo

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:59 PM Edited by Accendo, 14 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

My first post was merely stating my opinion. If people choose to argue with it then so be it.
Post the stats then? I've seen no evidence suggesting any of that to be true.
When Rockstar employees are stating the 5% decrease exists, I'll take their opinions over yours, thanks. Especially when I can see that the game registers a weight change when armour/carbon parts are applied.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Tested it out to see if it protected from bullets, Heavy pistol to Michael's car in the grille until explosion.
Shots
No armor: 41
100% armor:64

Thanks Kitty! I'll still do my own experiment, since repeatability is science.

Another test I wanted to do but too lazy to try, driving off Maze tower with and without while taking the time, see if armor makes it heavier.

uhm heavy objects don't fall faster

• sultangris likes this

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Felicia

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Tested it out to see if it protected from bullets, Heavy pistol to Michael's car in the grille until explosion.
Shots

Another test I wanted to do but too lazy to try, driving off Maze tower with and without while taking the time, see if armor makes it heavier.

I know. But didn't expect Rockstar to take air resistance or acceleration into account. Would be another thing to test. Gonna change the test to dropping a Dump vs dropping a Double-T.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:18 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 14 June 2014 - 04:19 PM.

Shots

I know. But didn't expect Rockstar to take air resistance or acceleration into account. Would be another thing to test. Gonna change the test to dropping a Dump vs dropping a Double-T.

air resistance is irrelevant anyway since it would be exactly the same on both vehicles

and I don't think it's simulated at all

so the dump and double t would drop at the same speed as well

what you could do to find out weight changes is a stopping test because the heavier the object is the longer it will take to stop (well change speed in general, stopping just seems like the easiest to test)

but I think you will find there's no difference

gbrown100
  • gbrown100

Ninja

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Oh my goodness, I need max armor! Since I became a cynical b*tch after 1.13 I spend most of my time in free roam killing uber-high levels. It's a great joy to reverse Jester/Entity/Zentoro/Infernus them until they rage and bring out a tank. Since I can move so fast sticky-bombing or grenade-launching me is out of the question. RPGs are easy to dodge too.

Thus, only bullets are a real danger. Use no armor and you're out of commission within a few bursts. With full armor most guns are a joke. The MGs can plink at ya, but they'll take several magazines and time that I don't give them. Minigunners in hard cover or elevated positions are the only real threat, but with a super car getting out of tight spots is easy. Even then it requires 10+ seconds of sustained direct fire on the engine/trans./fuel tank to set the car on fire. The only things that can truly kill the BATTLEWAGON are tanks and jets, which are easy to evade if you aren't surprised.

And if you actually are destroyed? Boohoo, you die once. The other guy pays $10,000 for insurance. I've yet to meet anyone able to grief me without a tank, and if they do "off-radar" + "call mechanic." I'M UNDEFEATABLE! I AM THE LORD OF GTA! A GOD I AM! BOW DOWN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, um, sorry. #NoLife#NeedzBoyfriend#College_Life#YOLO

I'll take my leave.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Bullet proof tires suck! The second your wheel is out of alignment it just drags and slows you down. With bulletproof tires they won't pop, which just makes it stay slow. When you don't have bulletproof tires they will eventually pop allowing you to get back to a decent speed. Albeit with with less control. Then again what control did you have with tires with negative 40 degree camber in the first place? Plus I actually find it fun driving with 1-3 tires popped.

If you had armor then your wheels wouldn't be out of alignment to begin with.
  • DJ Kornphlake likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

And contrary to popular opinion, it is fun to me to have a personal vehicle that can really get beaten to hell and look the part.

I agree with this, however with zero armor they tend to explode rather easily, often on the first impact if you dont land on the wheels, so its much less fun, lol!  Id recommend you try 10 percent, its worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users