Photo

Low anti-aliasing. Why?

34 replies to this topic
Atadritaata
  • Atadritaata

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

It seems by the new trailer that (at least the PS4 version) will have low anti-aliasing. I'm not complaining I'm just curious since I thought new consoles and PCs were powerful enough to get full anti-aliasing. Why do you think it isn't a feature? kinda strange

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 12 June 2014 - 11:19 PM.

I didn't really notice any substantial jaggies whatsoever. :blink: Though there is only so much the consoles can do.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

I believe it's using 2xMSAA. Which is weak in the anti-aliasing department but what do you expect from a console which is running midrange/laptop components and is being rendered at 1080p.

PC will let you go nuts with 8xMSAA. Downsampling. The works.
  • bensons, ninjaontour and ViceCityStalker like this

Kipsta77
  • Kipsta77

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Well, the PS4 and XB1 aren't that powerful.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Video compression on websites, consoles aren't expected to be played close enough for that to become too apparent.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond and Kampret like this

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

Wait, we're still not getting A?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

2xMSAA at 1080p is still a huge benefit over the current NO AA at all at 720p.
  • Andreas, Argon, BlackScout and 1 other like this

LightningLord411
  • LightningLord411

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is anti-aliasing?

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:18 AM Edited by Xerukal, 13 June 2014 - 01:19 AM.

2xMSAA at 1080p is still a huge benefit over the current NO AA at all at 720p.

Pretty much, yep. 

I tried playing V on 360 like a PC game. My TV is about the exact same size as my 1080p monitor. Tried getting a bit closer (not as close as I am at my desk with the PC), the jaggies were literally making things impossible to make out. It was just a huge uneven mess. I was convinced it was my TV being silly, but then I saw cam videos of people with similar TVs to mine and I realized it was really this bad for everyone. 

I am personally not that used to big TVs and couch gaming, as I find this detracts from my focus on the game. I don't know why, It's just a thing that happens to me specifically. Being farther away from the screen on which the game is being played on just creates this disconnect between my concentration and the gameplay itself. 

AhmadJ
  • AhmadJ

Prankster

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is anti-aliasing?

http://bit.ly/tYhAsu

full explaination 

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:17 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 13 June 2014 - 02:19 AM.

Don't know what version of the trailer you're watching OP but there is waaay less than anything I've seen for GTA V. It looks pretty smooth. Plus take into consideration video compression.

http://www.gamersyde...y_25357_en.html

http://www.gamersyde...c-15434_en.html

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

It's Rockstar's first game on the new consoles and it's a port, so you can't expect it to be using the systems' full capacities.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

It's Rockstar's first game on the new consoles and it's a port, so you can't expect it to be using the systems' full capacities.

Actually, you're not a R* employee, so stop saying that it's a port. For all we know, they might have been working on it since 2012-early 2013.

Last but not least, R* doesn't hire employees with that IQ.

• sivaG, Argon and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Konstelation
  • Konstelation

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:12 AM

Actually from all the changes such as all the grass, flower, better interiors, textures etc.. This isn't just a port I honestly think they worked on a Next Gen Engine game, and a last gen engine game... Just like NBA 2k14 did.. Only thing that makes sense with that quality.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

stobe187
  • stobe187

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

Actually, you're not a R* employee, so stop saying that it's a port. For all we know, they might have been working on it since 2012-early 2013.

Last but not least, R* doesn't hire employees with that IQ.

So...what you did there was basically throw around unfounded speculation and then alluded to him being stupid for doing exactly the same. All the while sporting a fairly know-it-all-y vibe.

Good job!

• Startug and sivaG like this

Stevilknievel
  • Stevilknievel

Outlaw

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

It definitely not a port, I can't back that up with proof obviously, but I agree with ^ above, they worked on both games (XB1/PS4/PC) & (PS3/360) simultaneously.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci
  • Ireland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

Actually from all the changes such as all the grass, flower, better interiors, textures etc.. This isn't just a port I honestly think they worked on a Next Gen Engine game, and a last gen engine game... Just like NBA 2k14 did.. Only thing that makes sense with that quality.

I don't think people realise, but flowers/grass isn't exactly hard work for a team of R*'s size, neither is 'better interiors' and some higher resolution textures.
  • Ash_735, Mega, Killerdude8 and 2 others like this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

There was reference to next gen consoles and pc on the bugs log of the game so it's not a port and they probably worked on it since late 2012?

Anyway it looks great so stop with the bs.
  • ViceCityStalker likes this

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I`m gonna anti-alias the sh*t out of this game all over again when it`s released,again.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:34 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 13 June 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Yeah, noticed that too. I guess these consoles aren't quire good enough to spend memory on a lot of AA, so they rather decided to add more eyecandy with lower AA and let the TV handle the rest (I remember in my PS2 days it's blurriness would actually make it seem like it was using AA in many games).

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I thought new consoles and PCs were powerful enough to get full

Currect :D

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

There was reference to next gen consoles and pc on the bugs log of the game so it's not a port and they probably worked on it since late 2012?

Anyway it looks great so stop with the bs.

Also, there were HD pictures of GTA V weeks before it was released in the GTA V website. And by "HD", I mean a definition higher than those that was shown to us through the screenshots and trailers.

Euda
  • Euda

youtube/pascalwaschbrett

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

The power for the next current-gen-consoles to handle high resolutions smoothed with hardware-anti-aliasing is literally absent - especially in an open-world title. Recently, I played GTA V on a friend's X360 for some minutes and the jaggies I used to see there were disastrous. However, it's quite impressive to see what such old hardware is able to accomplish in year 2014. Rockstar has done an incredible job in terms of optimizing their code for the consoles. Even though the consoles should have been prepared to run a flawless 1080p 40fps, in a range of titles they don't even reach FHD 30fps. Accordingly, I highly doubt 1080p incl. antialiasing will be what to expect from the next-gen-pendant of Los Santos.

I personally will run the game on my PC, of course prettied up using highest quality presets and probably downsampling if it lacks an internal aa-option.

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

If you're on your couch far away from the TV, you won't notice.

• unikunjerry likes this

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

I believe it's using 2xMSAA. Which is weak in the anti-aliasing department but what do you expect from a console which is running midrange/laptop components and is being rendered at 1080p.

PC will let you go nuts with 8xMSAA. Downsampling. The works.

Pretty much this.

Can't wait to run it flat out on PC with 4xTXAA and HBAO+.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

It seems by the new trailer that (at least the PS4 version) will have low anti-aliasing. I'm not complaining I'm just curious since I thought new consoles and PCs were powerful enough to get full anti-aliasing. Why do you think it isn't a feature? kinda strange

Why do you actually give a f**k about this ? As long as the game looks and runs great that is really all that should matter. The PS3 version still looks amazing as it is, I really don't see why you should b*tch over this. 

• one55 and ViceCityStalker like this

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

alright it might not have the best AA but it's something that really requires a lot of processing power. Yes, we all know PC's can handle it, we don't need reminded. but the consoles will only manage so much.

that being said, i thought the trailer looked amazing. didn't notice anything wrong with it. the game looks great on PS3 and will only look better on PS4. i really don't have a problem with it.

unikunjerry
  • unikunjerry

i want to know more about V

• Members

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

If you're on your couch far away from the TV, you won't notice.

This.

Consoles don't need AA so whats the point of using extra resources to have it?

• ViceCityStalker and Kampret like this

Ruscris2
  • Ruscris2

Snow Storm

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

I hate it when people misuse the word 'port'. Multi-platform games can't be considered ports. We aren't in the GTA III days where the game was released for PS2, and then it got ported to PC, and then to Xbox. Nowadays they build the core of the game first, and then add graphics drawing code, input code, and other platform related stuff later.

• Aleph-Zero likes this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

I wanna see pictures of all this disastrous AA that the next gen consoles can't handle.

Honestly it looks great in old consoles(except the jaggies of course) and it will look amazing next gen, so if someone can show me some pics of this horrible aliasing that would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users