Quantcast

» «
Photo

R* broke the "ERA" rule when releasing for Current-Gen.

51 replies to this topic
Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

For those who say the whole era/universes don't make sense, exactly what part doesn't make sense or isn't easy to understand?

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

This goes against everything R* said about graphics and era. I guess money speaks louder than words. Its ok that they releasing it for pc, but for xone/ps4? I thought gta 6 was going to be the reason for me getting a ps4. Now I guess gta v characters would be in 6 along with 4 but not the gta 3 era characters. That sucks, but oh well.. I'm still gonna buy it :). I think since R* made gta v for current gen, they should re do gta 3 era in hd for ps4/xone. I don't care if Cj would look way different or the map would feel extremely small, but at least its worth playing to the noobs of the gta series and gta era 3 fans. Maybe we should start a petition? Lol :D

Nope, its called the HD Era, we still in HD man

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

The question is...  When does the HD Era end???????  Conspiracy...

When the GTA Franchise ends (Lol).

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

The question is...  When does the HD Era end???????  Conspiracy...

When the GTA Franchise ends (Lol).

A new Era could start if they redesign completely a city that we've already seen in HD, just like III to IV and SA to V. But it's unlikely at the moment since LC and LS are the closest designs to their real life counterpart.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

gdfsgdfg
  • gdfsgdfg

Pancakes

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:38 PM Edited by gdfsgdfg, 11 June 2014 - 10:39 PM.

What are you talking about its the same game but with the texture quality set to max instead of low. I know I'm kidding but its the same thing regardless

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

My palm is really hurting my face right now.

• stjimmy3 likes this

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:57 PM Edited by Durden, 11 June 2014 - 11:00 PM.

R* themselves stated that an era is a subjective term that they use whenever they feel substantial change has taken place from the game's predecessor.

EDIT: I was thinking of the whole Roman Numerals ordeal. 

When it comes to eras, GTAV is still in the HD Era as R* calls it. They didn't build GTAV from the ground up for new-gen consoles; they merely improved the pre-existing visuals. Therefore it is still in the HD Era.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

R* themselves stated that an era is a subjective term that they use whenever they feel substantial change has taken place from the game's predecessor.

When it comes to eras, GTAV is still in the HD Era as R* calls it. They didn't build GTAV from the ground up for new-gen consoles; they merely improved the pre-existing visuals. Therefore it is still in the HD Era.

But they're just the different engines they used...
GTA1-GTA2 - *developers didn't often give engines names back then?*
III-SA/VCS - RenderWare (R.I.P.)
IV-V - RAGE (though V is substantially updated)

But RAGE (with updates every time) will be what's used from now on. So by that logic we're to assume that this HD era will be the only era from now on... which makes the whole eras thing even more pointless.

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

I didn't know the era concept was a "rule" that R* swore by.

Also who complains about having a game relaunched on a better, more updated console(s) 

because of a rule that isn't real??? :sui:

Crakbone335
  • Crakbone335

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

I would love for them to remake the a GTA III era remake even, if its not as detailed it would be awesome...but its  probably never going to happen 

Legendary912
  • Legendary912

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

So much peasantry.

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

But they're just the different engines they used...
GTA1-GTA2 - *developers didn't often give engines names back then?*
III-SA/VCS - RenderWare (R.I.P.)
IV-V - RAGE (though V is substantially updated)

But RAGE (with updates every time) will be what's used from now on. So by that logic we're to assume that this HD era will be the only era from now on... which makes the whole eras thing even more pointless.

Is there any word from R* that backs up your claim?

There isn't much I could say to refute your claim because it makes a little sense, with the exception of CTW for the Nintendo DS. I'm unsure which engine it used, but it'd definitely be classified in the Topdown Era just like GTA 1 & 2.

Furthermore, who knows what the future holds. Assuming VR takes off with things like Project Morpheus, perhaps we could see a new GTA era with a new engine altogether.

VIPΣR
  • VIPΣR

Doesn't give up the fight

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Is there any word from R* that backs up your claim?

There isn't much I could say to refute your claim because it makes a little sense, with the exception of CTW for the Nintendo DS. I'm unsure which engine it used, but it'd definitely be classified in the Topdown Era just like GTA 1 & 2.

Furthermore, who knows what the future holds. Assuming VR takes off with things like Project Morpheus, perhaps we could see a new GTA era with a new engine altogether.

Actually that's the only way I see to start a new "ERA"

AceThaCreator
  • AceThaCreator

Yin & Yang

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

That ERA BS is just Rockstars way of being lazy and not wanting to bring back the other characters because they don't feel like remaking the character models. I don't see whats so hard or whats the big deal with doing it as Rockstar did it with Max Payne and they have no problem teasing us through easter eggs. I understand that the older consoles have their limitations but it doesn't mean that they should abandon the older game characters when they make the newer GTAs and it doesn't make any sense it would be like saying IRL that george washington never existed in this universe or some sh*t like that.

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Didn't read any of the posts, but when GTA IV was released, Rockstar said they wanted to do a "reboot" for the series, hence the different "eras". So the "HD era" will end when Rockstar says they're doing another "reboot". If they don't say that, it means it's all in the same "HD Universe".

TJGM
  • TJGM

Politically incorrect.

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:49 PM Edited by TJGM, 12 June 2014 - 05:53 PM.

I find it silly that people still don't understand how this era stuff works.
  • Ash_735 and Kalvin like this

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

The HD era will last forever now as we're still in HD. Unless they'll call it the 4K Era for the PS5/NextBox.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

The HD era will last forever now as we're still in HD. Unless they'll call it the 4K Era for the PS5/NextBox.

We still have a LOT of room in the HD era, we still have Vice City, San Fiero, Las Venturas and even Carcer City (which didn't get full GTA treatment in the 3D era) to ultilise before they run into any problems.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:07 PM Edited by Deji, 12 June 2014 - 06:11 PM.

I find it silly that people still don't understand how this era stuff works.

My understanding is that there's nothing to understand. An era can be any period of time you want it to be, or any selection of games. The problem is that people didn't understand the concept of each game having its own unique story (with maybe a recognizable character thrown in for fun if the developers felt like it) and now they need this 'era' thing to explain it. Really, the era plays no role in the storytelling or direction of the franchise (but can be used to explain such a change - after the fact).

But definitely, for me, IV not using the RenderWare engine was indeed "the end of an era". I just don't see how people expect this eras thing to actually have any noticeable effect to the games except each "era" being a convenient thing to call them. Aside from that, the term has no further meaning (which doesn't have to have "exceptions" to make sense).

And certainly, R* didn't conjure up the term outside of FAQs... They didn't have to split them into different tidy little "universes". It worked for some, but apparently most needed a "deeper" explanation. And they got just that. After the fact. Like accidentally doing something cool, then giving it a name and pretending you thought of it ages ago :p
  • Osho likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

And certainly, R* didn't conjure up the term outside of FAQs...

Actually, Lazlow spoke about it and went into detail about it during one of the livestreams, describing it as "think Comic Book universes, that's what we've done here", was quite a cool description, and seeing as Lazlow is above most people here is why I'd trust his word in this case, just because it doesn't make sense to people or you don't like the reasons, doesn't mean that's what they've done, Lazlow has said the universe thing has been in play for a while, so, who the hell are we to argue that?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Biggest Asskisser 2014
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]
    Biggest Asskisser 2013

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I always thought the reason they stopped using RenderWare was due to EA buying out RenderWare, so Rockstar couldn't use it any more, therefore they built a new engine based off of RenderWare, used that the LCS and VCS to end the 3D era, then went on to make RAGE for IV and the rest.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:38 PM Edited by Deji, 12 June 2014 - 06:42 PM.

And certainly, R* didn't conjure up the term outside of FAQs...

Actually, Lazlow spoke about it and went into detail about it during one of the livestreams, describing it as "think Comic Book universes, that's what we've done here", was quite a cool description, and seeing as Lazlow is above most people here is why I'd trust his word in this case, just because it doesn't make sense to people or you don't like the reasons, doesn't mean that's what they've done, Lazlow has said the universe thing has been in play for a while, so, who the hell are we to argue that?

But Lazlow IS the exception... An exception can prove a rule, but I'm not taking the exceptions word for it :p

And I doubt that Lazlow stated this before R* had made up their minds. And no doubt he said this at a post-IV date - when the questions about story lineage had already started flooding in. They have special departments for figuring out what the best thing to say about something is. Something about relationships with the public... Making "acceptable" half-truths to cover up flaws or plot holes (which didn't exist, but the general public thought they did) isn't a hard concept either.

Still, my original point was that there is no era rule. An era is just a period of time, and eras don't often tend to get names until they near an end. There still doesn't have to be any rules to say one character can't be in different ones (because it happens) or that something that happened in one didn't happen in the other (because the legends do indeed live on). If they want to play towards the rule in future (I hope they do a better job) then that would be great, but they certainly hadn't before IV, which still remains the main bulk of the GTA series. And they still break the 'rule' many times during IV and (I assume) V.

EDIT:
Also, what exactly about the plots would fail if the eras didn't exist? They've yet to duplicate both a location and time period...

I always thought the reason they stopped using RenderWare was due to EA buying out RenderWare, so Rockstar couldn't use it any more, therefore they built a new engine based off of RenderWare, used that the LCS and VCS to end the 3D era, then went on to make RAGE for IV and the rest.

True. Seems totally irrelevant to the eras concept, but nice and true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users