Quantcast

» «
Photo

R* broke the "ERA" rule when releasing for Current-Gen.

51 replies to this topic
GTA Master 007
  • GTA Master 007

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

This goes against everything R* said about graphics and era. I guess money speaks louder than words. Its ok that they releasing it for pc, but for xone/ps4? I thought gta 6 was going to be the reason for me getting a ps4. Now I guess gta v characters would be in 6 along with 4 but not the gta 3 era characters. That sucks, but oh well.. I'm still gonna buy it :). I think since R* made gta v for current gen, they should re do gta 3 era in hd for ps4/xone. I don't care if Cj would look way different or the map would feel extremely small, but at least its worth playing to the noobs of the gta series and gta era 3 fans. Maybe we should start a petition? Lol :D

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

They referred to them both as SD and HD. I guess current gen isn't HD anymore now guys. All hail GTA Master 007.

• SimsDaniel916, SCOOBASTEEB, GTA Master 007 and 1 other like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

The rule they made? HOW DARE THEY?

• SCOOBASTEEB and Upggrade like this

Miko19
  • Miko19

Can Into Space

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:35 PM Edited by Miko19, 11 June 2014 - 02:39 PM.

Christ... lol, eras don't mean consoles. San Andreas was in the 3D era and released on PC, does it mean every GTA that also got released on PC is in the same era? Chinatown Wars was only released on the PSP, while it is officially part of the HD era. Does it mean it's not in the HD era? What era is it in then?

Graphics =\= the particular era, or universe, or however you'd like to call it. It's not the graphics, but the story setting and canon that dictate the era. Rockstar didn't want to put in the 3D era characters in the HD era primarily because A) it's unoriginal to reuse the same characters over and over again, and B) because they were DESIGNED in a cartoonish, 3D era fitting way and if you made them more photorealistic, they'd lose a lot of their original charm.

It doesn't matter what platforms it's being released on, what matters is what the developers designate the game as. Or to make it simpler, think like this: every game released between GTA III (a huge milestone for the GTA games, it introduced a completely new style of graphics etc into the franchise) and GTA IV (same thing as GTA III) was placed in the 3D era. VC, SA, LCS, VCS. Then, every GTA game released after GTA IV belonged to the HD era - EFLC, V, Chinatown Wars.

If you were to be picky, one could say that era = the engine the game runs on :p and as far as I know, Rockstar didn't create a brand new engine just for the NG release. So there's that.

• Fuzzknuckles, Tycek, GroundZero and 13 others like this

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

wat

• Fuzzknuckles and lizardman563 like this

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:39 PM Edited by Gregers08, 11 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

lol It's still technically the HD era I think we are going to be in this one for a while until something truly game changing happens that warrents revisiting Liberty City, Los Santos and where ever the next game will be set.

I've said this before and this is probably an unpopular opinion  but when the time comes instead of a photrealistic era GTA I think they should go the complete opposite way and go for an artwork era where the game actually looks like this outlines included

v_frisk_me_800x600.jpg

I could see the reactions now it would be WindWaker all over again.

• Miko19 likes this

GTA Master 007
  • GTA Master 007

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

All hail GTA Master 007

cunningstunt
  • cunningstunt

take it easy

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

They are both HD era games tho
If it was 3d or vr on the new console's you would have a valid point

Miko19
  • Miko19

Can Into Space

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

lol It's still technically the HD era I think we are going to be in this one for a while until something truly game changing happens that warrents revisiting Liberty City, Los Santos and where ever the next game will be set.

I've said this before and this is probably an unpopular opinion  but when the time comes instead of a photrealistic era GTA I think they should go the complete opposite way and go for an artwork era where the game actually looks like this

v_frisk_me_800x600.jpg

I could see the reactions now it would be WindWaker all over again.

Borderlands\Wolf Among Us\The Walking Dead Adventure Game-esque graphics, with cel-shading and true high definition graphical fidelity, basically a III\VC\SA\LCS\VCS on steroids? Holy sh*t, that would mean the character designs from the old games could be reused, circumventing the eras rule, so all the CJ and Tommy fans could get to see their favourite characters again... in a high def cartoon rendition.

I'd pay money both to play that and see their reactions, LOL.

• Gregers08 likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:48 PM Edited by Deji, 11 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Oh for gods sakes.. I never believed for one minute that R* actually thought up the "Era" concept until they started getting loads of questions about the canon and old characters.

It's a case of "ask stupid questions, get stupid answers". People, for some reason, needed an explanation of why old characters didn't exist and R* needed an excuse to make every decision they've made seem like a well thought-up plan of genius... when in reality, what makes them good is that they don't rely on stupid explanations for their decisions.

Lazlow is proof of the lack of actual thought put into the separation/connection of each game. Yet, people would prefer to say "that's because celebrities, brands, etc. can pass through eras". Stop making everything way more complex than it needs to be. Each game has a story and lots of content, that's it.
  • boxmonster, SonofUgly, MilezDawg and 6 others like this

Miko19
  • Miko19

Can Into Space

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Oh for gods sakes.. I never believed for one minute that R* actually thought up the "Era" concept until they started getting loads of questions about the canon and old characters.

It's a case of "ask stupid questions, get stupid answers". People, for some reason, needed an explanation of why old characters didn't exist and R* needed an excuse to make every decision they've made seem like a well thought-up plan of genius... when in reality, what makes them good is that they don't rely on stupid explanations for their decisions.

Lazlow is proof of the lack of actual thought put into the separation/connection of each game. Yet, people would prefer to say "that's because celebrities, brands, etc. can pass through eras". Stop making everything way more complex than it needs to be. Each game has a story and lots of content, that's it.

Personally, I really couldn't give a single sh*t about all these eras and everything, although that doesn't mean I don't understand the explanation they came up with and try to explain it to others, or at least the way I see it. Let the developers do what they do. The old stories are over and yeah, we likely won't ever see their continuations, but who knows what will happen in the future? I, for one, am curious what happens to Claude and Maria Latore after that enigmatic III ending, what became of CJ and his fam, how did Tommy-boy end up and all that, but as I said - those stories are over. Rockstar probably created some sort of sequel to GTA III's events, because the ending was a reaaally huge cliffhanger and hinted at a continuation of these events, buuuuut they went with the whole Back to the Future way of moving back and forth in time, and we all know how that ended.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Personally, I really couldn't give a single sh*t about all these eras and everything, although that doesn't mean I don't understand the explanation they came up with and try to explain it to others, or at least the way I see it. Let the developers do what they do. The old stories are over and yeah, we likely won't ever see their continuations, but who knows what will happen in the future? I, for one, am curious what happens to Claude and Maria Latore after that enigmatic III ending, what became of CJ and his fam, how did Tommy-boy end up and all that, but as I said - those stories are over. Rockstar probably created some sort of sequel to GTA III's events, because the ending was a reaaally huge cliffhanger and hinted at a continuation of these events, buuuuut they went with the whole Back to the Future way of moving back and forth in time, and we all know how that ended.

I can guess anyway...

Claude - went on to star in GTA 2 (set after GTA 3)
Tommy - back in prison (for a number of reasons)
CJ - became a multi-millionaire star with his own record label, turned into a corporate giant (douche), retired but then later killed by a police officer for making one too many wise-cracks

:p
  • Miko19 likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Let's face it, there are some people who understand the multi-universe thing, and some who don't, and it generates this tired old argument time and time again, I'm just sticking with Lazlow on this one.
  • Spider-Vice, Deji, theNGclan and 6 others like this

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

f*ck this noise about eras im just happy like a fat kid in a cup cake factory that im gonna be able to play gta v how it was meant to b played with all the b3lls and whistles.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

aesthetic

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Let's face it, there are some people who understand the multi-universe thing, and some who don't, and it generates this tired old argument time and time again, I'm just sticking with Lazlow on this one.

Thank you. Somebody with common sense.

• Detective Phelps and Darth Krizz like this

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

All hail this guy!!!

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:27 PM Edited by Gregers08, 11 June 2014 - 04:49 PM.

I think there was at least some sort of thought put into it, how else would they explain Liberty City and now Los Santos completely changing their layouts? CJ's story wouldn't have made sense in GTAV's version of san andreas as Las Venturas and San Fierro are nowhere near Los Santos.

If it was my job to explain sh*t like this I would go craziest theory I could think of, something like the previous era games were just movies in the current era world. Tommy vercetti was a character played by an actor, character's like Lazlow would be celebrity cameos explaining their jumps from eras. The same thing would happen to this current era games when something new comes out so 3 era games would be movies inside movies.

MaxxyB
  • MaxxyB

Consuela FTW

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

There's:

2D-era

3D-era

And HD-era which we currently playing in this has nothing to do with consoles

• Ash_735, Raiden雷電 and Detective Phelps like this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Decadence and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:41 PM Edited by Acetaminophen, 11 June 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Oh god... The whole ERA thing is just R* trying not to get half the GTA fanbase butthurt over the fact that all your favorite characters are pretty much gone and that GTA 4 was truly a Reboot of the whole series. "era" was just a way to explain it. 

• Zee, Deji and latigreblue like this

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

The whole era thing isn't even a rule, its just a way of making a distinction between multiple versions of the same cities that have different histories and do not have the same characters as previous games.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:52 PM Edited by Deji, 11 June 2014 - 04:53 PM.

I think there was at least some sort of thought put into it, how else would they explain Liberty City and now Los Santos completely changing their layouts?

They don't need to explain it!

They can explain it by saying "Hey, we redesigned this fictional city for the next videogame, enjoy!".

Story-wise, cities are ever-changing anyway. Especially when a good ol terrorist attack wipes half of one out and they have to rebuild... I like sudden boosts in motivation like that.

And that's exactly the problem. People expect them to explain it, so now they've come up with this ridiculous explanation that makes no sense and is full of holes.

CJ's story wouldn't have made sense in GTAV's version of san andreas as Las Venturas and San Fierro are nowhere near Los Santos.

This is not a series of deep novels, these are video games. They can introduce aliens for no reason whatsoever, if they want to (GTA V). A game like GTA doesn't have to make sense. It's a game which makes a mockery out of the modern world. It builds a universe not to be realistic, but to be an arena of mayhem (and bloody funny).

If it was my job to explain sh*t like this I would go craziest theory I could think of something like the previous era games were just movies in the current gen world, Tommy vercetti was a character played by an actor and the same thing would happen to this current era games when something new comes out.

Back when GTA was just a rising success, they didn't need people to explain things at all. Things just "were". The reason Claude (unimaginitively named after their GTA 2 hero - since they hadn't thought up this whole "era" thing yet) is a mute is because they had barely any idea what kind of a character would fit into that game. It wasn't to make him more iconic. Some of R*'s genius over the years has been pure accident.

And especially since back in the days of GTA III's release, there wouldn't have been many huge expectations about the future generations of gaming. Plus R* wouldn't have necessarily been anticipating a long future with the GTA series. So how they could have thought of this stupid "Era's" concept is beyond me. Seems like a relatively new thing... possibly because of the mass of story-obsessed fans which were drawn in because of IV wanting an explanation behind the rest of the series? Hmm...

It's as much a lie as when they said they'd kept the random plane crashes bug in SA out of choice :p
Better that than admit they'd been unable to fix a pretty obvious bug. Sure, it was an interesting bug, but it was still a bug.. not like they programmed it on purpose, based on the bug. No, they either had no clue how to fix it or didn't know about it.
  • boxmonster, Osho and Detective Phelps like this

RenThePyro
  • RenThePyro

I kept on walking

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

So I guess the trio are in the HD era and the Full HD era (My name for it until something official comes along)

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

So I guess the trio are in the HD era and the Full HD era (My name for it until something official comes along)

There is no "Full HD era", or 4th GTA era yet. We're still in the HD era/3rd era (with the 2D era being the first era and the 3D era being the second). The GTA eras have nothing to do with console generations, as MaxxyB has pointed out.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 11 June 2014 - 05:11 PM.

OP seeing that V is extending the Franchise Lifetime Platforms to 17 (and 4 Generations of Home Consoles) and it an HD Era game,it just shows that the HD Universe will live on forever until maybe a total reboot or they stop making GTA...Now with that said,i dont see a #6 in the Franchise for a while,not now with V's NG Remake...It will be an evolving GTAO,two/three major Spin-off game (within 2015-2020) then GTA6.

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

GTA SA was also ported to the past gen, Xbox 360 and PS3 and that doesn't make it part of the HD Era.

• HoleInTheSky and Detective Phelps like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:28 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 11 June 2014 - 05:30 PM.

GTA SA was also ported to the past gen, Xbox 360 and PS3 and that doesn't make it part of the HD Era.

But unlike V it wasnt Remade (upgraded) or Re-Release on those consoles...It was just a downloadable port on XBLA or PSN.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Besides, can't believe I have to point this out, IT'S NOT about the console, Chinatown Wars is apart of the HD era, yet that's on a Nintendo DS! Infact, let's look at platforms which host cross generation games:

iOS
- GTA3 (3d era)
- Vice City (3d era)
- San Andreas (3d era)
- Chinatown Wars (HD era)
- iFruit // Los Santos Customs // Chop The Dog (HD era)

PSP/Vita
- Grand Theft Auto (2d era)
- GTA2 (2d era)
- Liberty City Stories (3d era)
- Vice City Stories (3d era)
- Chinatown Wars (HD era)

PC
- Grand Theft Auto (2d era)
- GTA London 1969 (2d era)
- GTA London 1961 (2d era)
- GTA2 (2d era)
- GTA3 (3d era)
- Vice City (3d era)
- San Andreas (3d era)
- Grand Theft Auto IV (HD era)
- EFLC (HD era)
- GTAV (HD era)
  • Acetaminophen and Detective Phelps like this

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

This why the entire " era" concept is stupid. Rockstar picks and chooses what they want to bring back from old games.
  • boxmonster, Raiden雷電 and latigreblue like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

^how is GTA1 and GTA2 on PSP and Vita?

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

The question is...  When does the HD Era end???????  Conspiracy...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users