My theory on the Xbox 360/PS3 freezing

23 replies to this topic
Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

With all this talk about GTA V coming to the Xbox One, PS4, and PC, I think I may have a theory on why the game freezes for PS3 and Xbox 360.

According to this thread North Yankton would be too stressful for the PS3 and Xbox 360. This made me think that the freezing on the current gen consoles may be due to each update putting more stress on the current gen consoles.

Even before GTA Online even launched, GTA V would already push the limits of current gen consoles. With the addition of GTA Online and various DLC, the workload for the consoles to run the game greatly increased even more. I believe 1.12 or 1.13 was the straw that broke the camel's back.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Discuss.

• SirPhilMcKraken and SurfaceNoise like this

UltimateAntic
  • UltimateAntic

PSN: "Okannetje"

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Yeah I agree. The console simply cannot keep up with the enormous memory/rendering and thus kicks the bucket. And R* prob cannot optimize the game further without cutting things out.

Next gen should solve this issue with the increased system resources.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Aeropress

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

I completely agree. Also, this breaks hope of R* ever being able to fix the freezing/crashing issues, unless they remove the DLC which would be absolutely ridiculous.

Also, this will lower the amount of DLCs we see in the future for last gen.

Shootinalloveryourface
  • Shootinalloveryourface

No 1 Panto Crew in the World PIGS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I honestly have no idea

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Night Light OutlawS MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

I have no problems whatsoever, seriously xD

• redpoint likes this

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:56 AM Edited by KnobCheez, 11 June 2014 - 10:56 AM.

It makes sense OP and is kind of what I've been thinking too. Although having said that I know virtually nothing about this kind of stuff so I'm probably wrong.

I wonder how GTA V/O will be thought of in the long term? Kind of stuck in between 2 generations of consoles. Too much for one generation and not a good use of the hardware on the next?

Fulgur
  • Fulgur

WWE is f*cked. 21-1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

I disagree. The current consoles are more than capable of running it with a minor performance hit. And the only freezes that have happened to me are backing out of missions.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

I honestly have no idea

this, and neither do any of you

• Shootinalloveryourface likes this

Bourjois
  • Bourjois

Life is but a dream

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's all about efficiency, not the lack of processing power.

You could compare it with cars, having a 8 liter v10 doesn't say anything about having a smooth ride, nor beign faster of more efficient than a smaller eninge car.

I think North Yankon is less detailed then the bedroom of Jimmy in Michaels house, no biggie. Also I have no problems with freezing, but then again; R* could be more efficient.

Serdzy
  • Serdzy

Snitch

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

There's something to discuss? Old gen consoles run on 10 years old hardware, what else could you expect?

Captain Hammer
  • Captain Hammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Increased resources + increased demands = more freezing!

There's something to discuss? Old gen consoles run on 10 years old hardware, what else could you expect?

But they run 10 year old games....... 

mochakaboom
  • mochakaboom

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Disagree

Theory 1

I blame the hackers, their settings are f*cking us all over.  It's been confirmed that if their settings are not matched with the actual game, then any contact with them in your screen will freeze you.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same concept as if you are in a race with the hackers. 

Theory 2

Server restart is needed, sorta like hitting the referesh button on your browser. I'm not talking about resetting everyone's stats or anything

Reason: I've played games where if they didn't restart the server, lots of lag would start untill they reset the servers. They would have to do this periodically. Usually the community requests the server restart.

But all games are different so I could be totally wrong.  Console stress? Na, they may have done a good job at making thinking they stretched the limits of the console but in actuality it probably isn't hard to do. Lots of games in the past stated "Were stretching the capacity of the console to it's fullest"

They say that about the very first game on the any consoles and they will continue to say it for marketing purposes. Because let's face it, it just sounds badass.

Serdzy
  • Serdzy

Snitch

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

But they run 10 year old games....... 

Since when is GTAV 10 years old? I thought it was released in September 2013.

SemperJ550
  • SemperJ550

"Coming for You"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I also disagree. They either messed something up with the 1.11 patch and have yet to fix it or it's the server lag. Every single time i freeze is when someone leaves the server or I'm trying to find a new session.

The heist man
  • The heist man

heists should be my name

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

even the next Gen consoles froze it must be the updates because Sony was showing off the game on the E3 show floor and it froze during the Trevor side mission where you have to shoot the clowns.

KeeNer187
  • KeeNer187

-_-

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yeah I agree. The console simply cannot keep up with the enormous memory/rendering and thus kicks the bucket. And R* prob cannot optimize the game further without cutting things out.

Unless it's an internet connection issue which also might be a factor in freezing problems

elfoam
  • elfoam

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Its impossible its anything to do with the consoles for a few reasons.

1). You usually freeze at the same moment as others in the lobby.

2). Increasing complexity of a program on a computer/console won't crash it, it only takes longer to process. This thing is running at 30 frames when it crashes, it's relatively a low load. It's not like its struggling at running half a frame a second which even if it was wouldn't crash the machine if the code was fine.

Euphorica
  • Euphorica

Philosopher

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I hate to be that guy but anyone who thinks that freezing is going away with PS4/XB1 is sadly mistaken.

Gallioni Pepperoni
  • Gallioni Pepperoni

≧◔◡◔≦

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Lies, we all know the game is freezing because of your chrome cars  :^:

elfoam
  • elfoam

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:21 PM Edited by elfoam, 11 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

I hate to be that guy but anyone who thinks that freezing is going away with PS4/XB1 is sadly mistaken.

If today they ported the existing code to the new consoles they would also lock up. However hopefully they fix it soon, it seems with all this server work they are trying, I'm happy to go back to 1.10 myself.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Totally disagree; I have all the DLC and never freeze.

Also, the DLC has nothing to do with it; the game isn't loading everything in the disk and HDD at once. That would be ridiculous.

Blankerz
  • Blankerz

Chradder Killa

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

even the next Gen consoles froze it must be the updates because Sony was showing off the game on the E3 show floor and it froze during the Trevor side mission where you have to shoot the clowns.

Proof or it didn't happen and considering all other posts I have seen from you are worthless troll attempts I think you are full of sh*t pal.

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'm in the US & I don't freeze that much when I play @ night with friends in the same TZ & some Aussie friends. sometimes I jump on during the day & play with some Euro crew mates, & will freeze every 10-15 minutes.

#neat.

TrevorsMom
  • TrevorsMom

Wee wee pipe

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Maybe rock start are just sh*t

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users