Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are you gonna switch to next-gen after all?

74 replies to this topic
ctan800
  • ctan800

Hot-Headed Beat Cop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

So many amazing games coming out for next-gen and our ps3's and xbox 360's get buried in the sand. Will you keep your old gen console or are you going for next-gen after all you've been through with your current console?

Probably wouldnt be purchasing a PS4 just to play GTA V (PS4 edition).

From what I hear, cross-platform is impossible between PS3-PS4. So unless the entire userbase of GTAO shifts and sidesteps right on over to PS4, I am only gonna play new games on it.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

I don't think you need to wait for the entire userbase to shift over, considering GTA Online is limited to 16 players all together at the absolute maximum. I think quite a bit more than just 16 people will make the switch, which means the lobbies on the PS4 version will most likely be just as full as the PS3 lobbies (if not moreso - we don't know yet if they're increasing player counts, which they very well could be). Now, whether or not your friends are making the switch, that should be your real concern.

As for the topic at hand, I've already switched. I sold my PS3 several years ago, and my Xbox 360's display port recently died. I've already repaired it once (E74) and I really don't feel like repairing it again, especially considering the only game I have left to play on it now that GTA V is getting ported is RDR. While I love the game, I've played it enough that it isn't worth the repair on its own. Meanwhile, I have my PS4 which will serve me for console exclusives, and I have my PC for anything multiplat. I have no interest in owning an Xbone; my experience with Microsoft exclusives on the Xbox 360 wasn't particularly memorable, and while I very much disliked the Dualshock 3, I prefer the Dualshock 4 over both the 360 controller and Xbone controller.

• Daz and ctan800 like this

Dan Cooper
  • Dan Cooper

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'll buy a PS4 when my PS3 dies, but there really aren't a lot of games I'm interested in playing on the PS4 yet.

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Getting a ps4 just in time for the release of The Crew In november.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

It is mostly due to friends who haven't upgraded yet.

The other main issue was GTAV and Minecraft, now that both will be out on next gen I will have no reason to go back to the 360 by the end of the year.

Maybe just to play Rainbow Six: Vegas 2.

The rest I could play on PC if I had to.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:14 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 11 June 2014 - 01:16 PM.

The other main issue was GTAV and Minecraft, now that both will be out on next gen I will have no reason to go back to the 360 by the end of the year.

I'd switch to PC if I were you. The console exclusives look very unappealing to me and indie games on PC are awesome and apart from exclusives nearly everything else is coming to PC too so, yeah.

CjLosSantos
  • CjLosSantos

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

well by next gen you mean PC then yes I love my gaming PC but I won't be getting v again

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

So many amazing games coming out for next-gen and our ps3's and xbox 360's get buried in the sand. Will you keep your old gen console or are you going for next-gen after all you've been through with your current console?

Probably wouldnt be purchasing a PS4 just to play GTA V (PS4 edition).

From what I hear, cross-platform is impossible between PS3-PS4. So unless the entire userbase of GTAO shifts and sidesteps right on over to PS4, I am only gonna play new games on it.

gta will sell like hotcakes on ps4, trust me. Even on playstation i don't have much trouble geting into a game on cod ghosts 

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd switch to PC if I were you. The console exclusives look very unappealing to me and indie games on PC are awesome and apart from exclusives nearly everything else is coming to PC too so, yeah.

Well that is just a stupid throw away comment to make.

If I wanted to play on a PC exclusively I wouldn't even be in this topic.

The topic asks do you want to upgrade to next gen consoles. We all know the PC has far better options here, but that is not the point.

The point here is that I have friends, a bunch of them, maybe other people don't. But it all revolves around what consoles they get and what games they buy. I don't have a money restriction, or anything to hate about either console, or PC.

But the fact remains is that if I didn't have any friends, my choices would be vastly different.

And I stand by the fact console multiplayer gaming with friends is far better than doing it on a PC. That most people might not be able to afford or know how to get their PC to run these games. Some no longer even own a PC.

That is the main reason console gaming is important to me personally, and that is the driving force behind most of mine and many other people's choices when it comes to next gen.

We never had this problem before, because online friends barely existed on PS2 and Xbox. So the jump to the 360 was easy, it was also the only next gen system out at that point. It was a no-brainer.

Now it is very difficult also due to the fact both consoles are so similar. I would probably buy a PS4 if I only played alone. But I have way more invested into Xbox Live to give that up right now.

I will always take gaming with a friend over gaming alone.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Ah okay I see your point and I agree with it, consoles are certainly better for gaming with friends.

Also I wasn't being a PC fanboy or anything I just miss-understood your point. :)

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:32 PM Edited by Daz, 11 June 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Fair enough.

PC is great, I can use a 360 controller on PC which makes it 99.9% better for me. But I am lazy, and love that I don't ever have to worry about the game not running properly. Or at least when it doesn't, someone else fixes it for me.

The issue for me is I hate windows 8 and I don't want to upgrade my rig, to that, and I can't upgrade my RAM as it is DDR2, so I am screwed.

And I am too lazy or just don't care enough to work around those problems or put that much effort into it. That is one reason consoles will always be good. Knowing what you experience, everyone else does.

It would be a different scenario if all consoles and PC were cross platform and there was a service like Xbox Live that branched across different devices. But that isn't going to happen, not unless Steam Machines ever get up and running.

For now, next gen consoles are going to be decent enough. Besides they usually are what drive new games. Any new PC exclusive game is pretty damn rare these days unless it is an indy title. All the big budget gets put into consoles.

The only downside to a PS4 for me is it not using Xbox Live and all that comes with it. And maybe the unfamiliar analog stick placement. The only downside to the Xbox One is that it is less powerful and you can't replace the hard drive. Any other issues I can overlook.

Two consoles I don't think have ever been this similar in all of history.

It makes it difficult.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Was going to get the PS4, but ultimately opted to upgrade my PC instead. Whilst it's double the expense it's going to give me a measurably better gaming experience. So I'm sticking to PC for now.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Now that there are good games coming to PS4, I will get one during the summer for Far Cry 4 and GTA V.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I will switch to next gen (or current gen) eventually, but at the moment there are not the games that would convince me to buy one. I'll wait around year, maybe year and a half, see where are better exclusives for me and I will buy the next gen probably. 

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'm currently saving money for a PS4 and copies of TLOU:Remastered and GTA 5.

When the time comes, I might sell my GTA V and TLOU copies because I'm getting their next-gen versions, eventually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users