How to Deal With Combat Roll Abusers

95 replies to this topic
We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

IF THIS BIG WALL OF TEXT LOOKS TOO INTIMIDATING, JUST READ THE STUFF IN BOLD FOR THE TL; DR VERSION...

Dunno if this is new information, or if it exists elsewhere, but I didn't see anything... I've seen combat roll exploiters mentioned in other threads, and I too have come across players that abuse the combat roll function to gain an obnoxious advantage. It's not a glitch, but it's an annoying exploit of GTA's traditional/assisted-aim system. Last night, my brother and I set out to figure out how it works. Not so that we could abuse it, but to figure out how to deal with players that do. This is what we found...

When a player combat rolls while they're locked onto you, they don't lose their lock. When they emerge from the animation, their gun is still pointed at you. It's a soft lock instead of a hard lock, but with the most minimal of correction they can hard lock immediately (by releasing and pressing the lock button) and fill you full of holes while you're still trying to free-aim.

Combat rollers are most likely banking on two things:

1.) That you'll panic and fire blindly in their direction in attempt to get a lock-on. They assume that you're in a non-free aim lobby for a reason and don't have the skill to gun them down free hand.

2.) That you'll run for cover. Because they're safer with you in cover than they are with you out in the open (I'll explain why in a sec...).

We determined that the key to dealing with a combat roller is completely based on timing. Your first instinct is to lock on and end them because they're out in the open and they're not firing (cuz they're too busy rolling). That doesn't work. The key to stopping them while you're out in the open is watching the animation. You don't need to lock during the roll and you most definitely shouldn't be shooting. Literally watch the animation. I found it easiest to not attempt to lock on at all until their feet hit the ground towards the end of the roll. At that point, the animation is ending and their character is rising to his feet. The moment his/her feet hit the ground and they begin standing is the moment to hit the lock as the time it takes for you to press the button and your character actually aims is usually around the time that the animation ends and their back to their feet and ready to eat bullets. Turns out, that method works pretty damned well.

At this point, we were pretty pleased with ourselves having worked out the timing for dealing with assholes that abuse the combat roll. But then something occurred to me. The only time anyone I ever PvP'd with ever rolled while we were both out in the option only did so when they were out of options and there was no cover nearby. The only time most players spammed the roll was when I was already in cover...

Now, I'll explain more about the second thing combat rollers are banking on. That you're already in or will predictably run for cover. The reason for this is that nailing the timing becomes substantially more difficult when you're firing from cover. They're practically completely safe from you. The method for dealing with rollers out in the open is different because now that you're in cover, locking and unlocking is delayed because you have to wait for your character to stick their head out or duck back behind cover. Combating a roller form cover has a much, much tighter timing window. Reason being, you'll have to break cover AND lock on as their feet hit the ground. And you've got to do all this in the time it takes for them to complete one roll animation. Here's how we did it: While in cover, the moment they start their roll, press the lock-on button. You won't actually lock on, but you'll be peeking from behind cover with your weapon drawn. Press the X button while holding the left stick away from your point of cover. This releases you from cover, but keeps your gun drawn. Now, it's just like before; watch the animation and go for a lock the moment their feet hit the ground and they're trying to stand. The reason that leaving cover with your gun drawn is important is because if you do it the conventional way is that the "break from cover" animation takes time, you may or may not emerge facing your opponent, and you probably won't be aiming in the direction of your opponent when the animation ends...

Anyway, that's my suggestion. It worked well for us. Your mileage may vary.

• Jehannum, xX_GTA-KiNG_Xx, jtet37 and 10 others like this

SMFtwstdHICK
  • SMFtwstdHICK

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

This is golden.. Especially for suck ass players like myself that do the panic fire sh*t when they are rolling. LOL.. 

Thanks.

• We Are Ninja, Malibu454 and RoyalRedXIII like this

Potato Bean
  • Potato Bean

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

I call them rolly polies, because all they do is roll around and act like they're somehow better than you. The key is to roll when they are about halfway done with their own roll, so they're standing still when your roll is complete and you can shoot them. If need be I just shoot an RPG at them, which is usually followed by them complaining about my RPG even though the only weapon they know how to use is the assault shotgun (which takes so much skill to use obviously).

• Fearx-- likes this

SMFtwstdHICK
  • SMFtwstdHICK

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

LOL. the assault shotgun is my choice..

Sorry, I just suck to no end in free aim.. and. I think me getting in one kill to their 20 is fair, while using an auto.. lol

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

f*ckin combat roll. First experience with c.r. abusers was in a T.D.M. and everyone on the opposing side was using the hell out of it. Now I see so many players using it, it's insane.

DigiOps
  • DigiOps

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

I started firing from the hip when that happens.

Kaber
  • Kaber

The Devil

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

SPAM GRENADES!

Fearx--
  • Fearx--

Here we go again...

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Corner glitching will work best against them. Unless they have an rpg.

garvdart
  • garvdart

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Excellent observations btw op,  combat rollers can be countered by rolling a split second after they do, but have you factored in side rolling and backflip?

• We Are Ninja and Fearx-- like this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

Just shoot them? They dont become gods when they combat roll...oh wait free aim master race.
  • We Are Ninja, 2Chains4Bracelets, himynameisdamien and 1 other like this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

^ Truth. They get pretty damned close when you've come to depend on auto-lock, though. LOL.

• who-dat likes this

Desu Nei
  • Desu Nei

Kawaii

• GTAF Crew
  • Cuba

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Some of the most satisfying kills I've ever gotten were from shooting people in the middle of a combat roll. You've got to free aim, of course, but man, when you shoot a combat roller square in the face with a pump shotgun, it is the best feeling ever. They don't even collapse because they're on the ground already XD
  • We Are Ninja and SmokesWithCigs like this

Fearx--
  • Fearx--

Here we go again...

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Some of the most satisfying kills I've ever gotten were from shooting people in the middle of a combat roll. You've got to free aim, of course, but man, when you shoot a combat roller square in the face with a pump shotgun, it is the best feeling ever. They don't even collapse because they're on the ground already XD

Not even an experienced free aimer can stand a chance against a combat roller in an auto aim lobby. The roller will recover within a second. So you will have to react quickly to the roll and free aim him within a second.

• We Are Ninja, Day Reaper and RoyalRedXIII like this

iDyn3x
  • iDyn3x

Got Strafe?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:37 PM Edited by iDyn3x, 11 June 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Call yourself ninja, can't hit a muthaf*cka rollin on the ground...pathetic.

I'm gonna laugh when(since it's a f*cking shooter), gta6 has no remnant of an auto lock system, playing the game for you scrubs.

Gonna lose a lot players aren't we? if we can even call 'em players.

and fearx....your either.

-A badkid playing a shooter with auto aim on

-Just a badkid

How many times we gotta say it? we roll too, and we're better at it, cause we actually dodge each others shots...and actually shoot each other.

• HexagoN and who-dat like this

kw.awsome
  • kw.awsome

Queen is love Queen is life

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

I use the roll a lot I will admit it but..... What can I say im on a roll :lol:...

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'm gonna laugh when(since it's a f*cking shooter), gta6 has no remnant of an auto lock system, playing the game for you scrubs.

-Just a badkid

How many times we gotta say it? we roll too, and we're better at it, cause we actually dodge each others shots...and actually shoot each other.

such_skill_by_pyschodoughboy-d6s6e94.png

• jtet37 likes this

iDyn3x
  • iDyn3x

Got Strafe?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

lol...please kid, you were in diapers when I was runnin my awp game...on bad kids...just like you :)

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Kid? Aren't we presumptuous?

You're god-like with a controller/mouse/keyboard in your hands. Your skillz make the boxers drop. You'll pwn all us newbz. We get it. We understand... Now. Are you gonna keep trolling/posturing or are you going to go find something better to do with your time?

• WeAreHuman, jtet37, blackwolfred and 2 others like this

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

And another cock waving match ensues.... over a f*cking video game.
  • We Are Ninja, Day Reaper, elless777 and 1 other like this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:09 AM Edited by We Are Ninja, 12 June 2014 - 12:14 AM.

No cock-waving here. I'm well aware of the fact that I'm an auto-aim peasant.

DMadS
  • DMadS

D MadS | RnG

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

or maybe just learn how to f*cking counter roll. for f*ck sake brother...

• 2Chains4Bracelets likes this

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

I only use the roll when someone is barreling toward me in their tacky entity/adder/zentorno and watch them smash into a building.

RajunKjun
  • RajunKjun

Southwest Louisiana

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

What? Cock waving? I'm in! *whips out wang*
  • jtet37 and zfozzy like this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

What? Cock waving? I'm in! *whips out wang*

so we shall sword fight for our honour and family!

Potato Bean
  • Potato Bean

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:03 AM

-Just a badkid

Some people don't feel the need to prove themselves over a video game.

• We Are Ninja likes this

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

This is golden.. Especially for suck ass players like myself that do the panic fire sh*t when they are rolling. LOL.. 

Thanks.

More Rollie Pollies will die now.. :p
  • Day Reaper likes this

SMFtwstdHICK
  • SMFtwstdHICK

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks.

More Rollie Pollies will die now.. :p

Maybe I will try just grenading their sorry ass rollie pollie selves.. LOL>..

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

In free aim it's not a problem
  • Vooodu and 2Chains4Bracelets like this

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:32 PM Edited by RoyalRedXIII, 12 June 2014 - 04:35 PM.

IF THIS BIG WALL OF TEXT LOOKS TOO INTIMIDATING, JUST READ THE STUFF IN BOLD FOR THE TL; DR VERSION...

This was a great post. Loved the amount of detail you put into.

My solutions aren't nearly as in depth as yours lol however, I still believe them to be effective. Hasn't failed me yet. Keep in my, I like to camp 60% of the time so my whole approach to it was different.

-my primary tactic is explosives! When they combat roll, they don't move to far out a certain radius, especially since they roll left to right more often than in one repeated direction. When they do this, you keep calm, take your RPG or grenade launcher and launch it at them (beside to aim it at the ground around them. If you aim it up in the air, it has a higher chance of missing. You don't need a direct hit, just the splash damage)

-to add on to that explosives tactic, if you happen to be behind a corner and they run out in the open, a well placed sticky bomb works wonders! This by far is my favorite and has served me the most ever since I had this one used on me.

-Free aim strafing with the combat MG is a decent tactic. With 200 rounds on the extended clip, you shouldn't get caught reloading out in the open (hate when that happens). Whether it's you or him, SOMEBODY is gonna die before you shoot 200 rounds :p

-miniguns are risky, but effective. Since they are free aim weapons, you can let the guy roll all day! Lol. They have no reload, and deliver devastating damage quickly, so it's a perfect solution if you have a steady hand and can steady your aim before he lands enough shots. Just be sure to still strafe.

-the shotgun has already been mentioned, and does have a powerful spread, but at times I use the AP pistol.
"The AP what?" Yes, the AP pistol. It's a pistol so it's handling is quick and easy, and in my experience you can better target someone in between rolls. It's pretty accurate in close range. It doesn't do heavy damage, but if your precise you can land a headshot fairly quickly.

-If your are caught out in the open, (which I try not to be.) and the guy is spamming the combat roll, the best thing really is to watch him move and feel it out, even if it costs you a kill or two (be patient). Most players repeat the same pattern over and over again. So after you got his game, you can consistently lock and release your aim right along with the timing of his rolls, getting in shots until he's dead. Sometimes players are predictable to the point where I headshot them as they go down for the roll... And never get back up lol. You just gotta roll with the punches as they say.

-last but not least, combat roll right with him! If he can do it, so can you. Roll with him until he pauses, and then roll some more, shooting the whole time. This is meant to be more taunting than anything else, so be wise lol.

These are all things that have worked for me at one time or another, so feel free to try then and do what suits you best.
Disclaimer: the effectiveness of any of these is always dependent on the skill of whoever tries them.
  • We Are Ninja and 2Chains4Bracelets like this

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

I play free aim so I'm better than you. I'm not gonna contribute to the discussion, cause I only came here to tell you that y'all suck. Did I mention I play free aim?

(Fixed)
  • the_samich, We Are Ninja and Day Reaper like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users