Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V and Steam

11,850 replies to this topic

Poll: Preorder month (397 member(s) have cast votes)

When will the preorder option on steam be available for GTA V PC?

1. November (9 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

2. December (191 votes [48.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.11%

3. January (187 votes [47.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.10%

4. other.. (10 votes [2.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote
sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

I don't really care either way, GFWL (which isn't as bad as people make it out to be), Uplay, Origin and steam's stuff. As long as they stay out of my way (and they all do that during game play) it is fine by me.

I start purchasing from these services if they offer me a lower price as compared to physical media, which sad to say still isn't the case at launch day. In fact, I can name several examples where physical games were cheaper then downloads at preorder or launch day.

If they don't offer me a case with a map, discs and a booklet and still try to sell the game at the exact same price, then I want the map, booklet and disks.
  • Rock Howard, Spider-Vice, theNGclan and 2 others like this

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

INSERT{CODE}

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:24 PM Edited by Coolstream, 10 June 2014 - 07:26 PM.

I don't really care either way, GFWL (which isn't as bad as people make it out to be), Uplay, Origin and steam's stuff. As long as they stay out of my way (and they all do that during game play) it is fine by me.

I start purchasing from these services if they offer me a lower price as compared to physical media, which sad to say still isn't the case at launch day. In fact, I can name several examples where physical games were cheaper then downloads at preorder or launch day.

If they don't offer me a case with a map, discs and a booklet and still try to sell the game at the exact same price, then I want the map, booklet and disks.

So, how many rooms do you have filled with copies?

There's many other ways to get games from sites selling Steam keys, Origin keys etc. Get Steam Enhanced to see lowest selling prices on steampowered.com

Example: http://prntscr.com/3rjnla

• AndreyK likes this

Tuskin38
  • Tuskin38

Be Yourself is best advice anyone can give.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:28 PM Edited by Tuskin38, 10 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Max Payne 3 PC worked like this

If you bought it digital - It used steam + Social Club

If you bought it retail - it only used Social Club.

Social Club was integrated into Max Payne 3, it didn't use a launcher like GTA4

• sivaG likes this

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

There's many other ways to get games from sites selling Steam keys, Origin keys etc. Get Steam Enhanced to see lowest selling prices on steampowered.com

None. I have a few piles of DVD cases. Let's take watchdogs as an example, retail starts at around 40 bucks, yet on both uplay and steam, the standard edition retails for 60 bucks. You get less for more. Doesn't make sense.

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

INSERT{CODE}

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

None. I have a few piles of DVD cases. Let's take watchdogs as an example, retail starts at around 40 bucks, yet on both uplay and steam, the standard edition retails for 60 bucks. You get less for more. Doesn't make sense.

Where does it start at 40 Bucks? 

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Where does it start at 40 Bucks?

http://www.mediamark...html?langId=-11

42 bucks, still massive difference. I got the physical game for 35 bucks pre-order via bol.com but used a discount code for 10 bucks. Eventually I returned it, as I got the game free via NVIDIA.

Again, until the likes of uplay, steam and others do not offer me a substantial price difference, I keep piling up DVD cases.

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

They said pre-order starts on June 10th, and they actually started on the official V site, but i'm still waiting for their official post on the Newswire about all this sh*t. I want a digital Steam copy, not a physical one, but it is 22:40 in my country and still no info have been given...

Jimmy_Russells
  • Jimmy_Russells

Yar! What be we doin on t' bed? *parmf*

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm expecting it to show up on steam for pre-order nearer to the release window. Makes a bit more sense than pushing it onto steam now without a definitive release date.

Also, I bet they won't want a repeat of the console version leak where the game was accidentally allowed for pre-loading. The game was all over pirate bay and other torrent sites at least a week before the actual release.

• theNGclan likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Steam Summer Sale is coming up. 

Rockstar will probably want to either push the pre-order to go out right now, before the sales start, or wait until they're over and take the stage when things are quiet on the Steam Store after the sales. We'll see. 

Don't want V overshadowed by huge Summer Sales, though. That would be horrible. 

RodneysLeftNut
  • RodneysLeftNut

OG LOC IN THE HOUSE

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

First off really exicted for PC. im a mainly pc gamer. Second i think intergrating workshop with gta5 its a bit to early. They need to wait it out like what they did with LFD2,CIV5,ETC

• AndreyK likes this

ziemiak
  • ziemiak

Player Hater

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:23 PM Edited by ziemiak, 10 June 2014 - 11:26 PM.

I've legal digital copy of the game and it's steam free (only SC), but I've bought it form local polish publisher site, so it might not be how it was elsewhere

cowabunga
  • cowabunga

Snitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...ng-down-in-2014

mag5sNb.jpg

• Coolstream, AndreyK, Bodge and 1 other like this

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

I've legal digital copy of the game and it's steam free (only SC), but I've bought it form local polish publisher site, so it might not be how it was elsewhere

Regarding digital, Rockstar gives websites a choice. They can either just distribute Steam keys or they can distribute the game itself and just use Social Club. For example, Amazon gives you a choice if you want to use their service or just get a Steam key.

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

It'll probably be like Max Payne 3. Steamworks support if you purchase it from Steam, Rockstar Social Club if you purchase it anywhere else -- that way you're not locked into Steam unless you want to.

This is the most likely scenario.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

I'm getting a bit scared here...

Not seeing any database entries for V yet. Public/obvious ones, at least. 

Probably nothing. It's only been a day now. Must be calm, must be optimistic. 

Tuskin38
  • Tuskin38

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:22 AM Edited by Tuskin38, 11 June 2014 - 01:23 AM.

If you search grand theft auto on steam the final result is the GTA5 teaser, but clicking on it just takes you to the Steam home page

http://store.steampo...rand Theft Auto

edc5d5e004.png

The App number it is tied to is this

http://steamdb.info/app/271590/

That is probably the number for GTA5 if the video link follows the same format as others on steam.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

Holy sh*t. That's great. So no delayed Steam release like the voices in my head told me. 

Thanks for that. Needed it. 

Tuskin38
  • Tuskin38

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:27 AM Edited by Tuskin38, 11 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

Holy sh*t. That's great. So no delayed Steam release like the voices in my head told me. 

Lots of games appear on steam months before they're released.

Some also appear and never come out. Like Halo.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Oh yes, I know. But I remembered this one fellow who came into one of the more recent PC discussion threads. He claimed he was a Rockstar dev (don't they all?), and briefly mentioned that the Steam release would be delayed.

My brain found this of some type of relevance for no particular reason at all, and used it as paranoia fuel to justify a slower Steam pre-order release. Luckily, that's gone now and I'm sane again. 

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:41 AM Edited by gamerzworld, 11 June 2014 - 01:43 AM.

Some also appear and never come out. Like Halo.

Jury is still out on Halo. The Master Chief collection was just announced for Xbox One yesterday. During the press demo, attendees noted seeing PC controls popping up before switching to console controls. It'll probably be exclusive to Xbone for a few months then come to PC.

As for a delayed Steam release of GTAV, that makes absolutely no logical sense at all. RAGE and RGSC already have Steam support thanks to Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire (No it doesn't use RAGE but it uses the same RSGC libraries as MP3). Not everything you read is true.

XgenDaNcEs
  • XgenDaNcEs

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

Is there any benefits to having it on Steam? I like the fact that my friends can see how many hours i played it and when i play so they can tag along with me... but is that it? If the main thing for GTA V PC is Social Club then pre ordering a physical installer from Rockstar would be no different from the Steam version right? I also heard that past GTA's released on Steam have TROUBLE installing mods to them which is one of the main benefits of the PC version

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:49 AM Edited by Xerukal, 11 June 2014 - 01:51 AM.

As for a delayed Steam release of GTAV, that makes absolutely no logical sense at all. RAGE and RGSC already have Steam support thanks to Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire (No it doesn't use RAGE but it uses the same RSGC libraries as MP3). Not everything you read is true.

I realize. I don't accept it as instant truth as I read it, It's simply stored in my brain and brought out of storage when there's nothing else to think about on the subject. Except "that one thing I read that one time from that one guy". Like in this case.

It happens. 

Is there any benefits to having it on Steam? I like the fact that my friends can see how many hours i played it and when i play so they can tag along with me... but is that it? If the main thing for GTA V PC is Social Club then pre ordering a physical installer from Rockstar would be no different from the Steam version right? I also heard that past GTA's released on Steam have TROUBLE installing mods to them which is one of the main benefits of the PC version

As far as I know, the only GTAs on Steam that have trouble with mods are the 3D era ones. And this has something to do with incorrect patches that you must overwrite using cracks and such. 

However, again, as far as I know, this does not affect HD era games like IV and EFLC. Those are absolutely fine. 

There are other benefits, but you can also find them anywhere else (like screenshots). Screenshots, possible cloud storage and achievements. We don't know yet. But I'm hoping it has trading card support.

Need a Trevor background for my profile for the fanboyism to be complete. 

• sivaG likes this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

This week!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:49 AM

God, there it is 271590 XD
Hope it comes soon for Pre-Order, can't wait to have it on my Library.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:49 AM Edited by theNGclan, 11 June 2014 - 01:50 AM.

The announcement trailer is linked to this: http://steamdb.info/app/271590/subs/

It should pop up any day now.

• BlackScout likes this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

This week!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:15 AM Edited by BlackScout, 11 June 2014 - 02:17 AM.

Doing some crazy bullsh*t editing URL numbers:
capsule_616x353.jpg
Got the front page image switching ID's...
http://cdn.akamai.st...ule_616x353.jpg

http://cdn.akamai.st...ule_616x353.jpg

• ayushisrocking, theNGclan, UnderMeister and 2 others like this

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Is there any benefits to having it on Steam?

Not really as far as I can see. In addition to RSC, it's another game client running in the background, chewing up system resources. It may make no difference to some rigs but could with others.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

The announcement trailer is linked to this: http://steamdb.info/app/271590/subs/

Funny how it was last updated 2 months ago. To think it's been hidden for so long.

• BlackScout likes this

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:26 AM Edited by gamerzworld, 11 June 2014 - 03:28 AM.

Funny how it was last updated 2 months ago. To think it's been hidden for so long.

Heh the better kept secret of the PC port was the Steam page. Usually that's the first thing that leaks. Instead, the person in-charge of mastering the console images for production handed over all the details we needed on a silver platter.

• Spider-Vice and ayushisrocking like this

ayushisrocking
  • ayushisrocking

Winning!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

Guys, when do you think the Steam Pre-order will be available? As and when the Release date is announced(possibly in August)? Or within the next 1-2 weeks? 'Cause if they don't make it available on Steam soon, Gamestop/Amazon/R* W/Best buy will end up eating their sales!

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:15 AM Edited by gamerzworld, 11 June 2014 - 05:19 AM.

Guys, when do you think the Steam Pre-order will be available? As and when the Release date is announced(possibly in August)? Or within the next 1-2 weeks? 'Cause if they don't make it available on Steam soon, Gamestop/Amazon/R* W/Best buy will end up eating their sales!

Likely soon though Rockstar has the final say when it does go up on Steam so there's not much Valve can do anyway in that regard. Valve will still make boatloads of money on selling GTAV either way thanks to deals and catalog sales years after GTAV is out. 30% of $59.99 means Valve will make $18 off each copy sold on Steam, though that cut might be smaller (or bigger) depending if T2 was able to negotiate a better agreement.

• ayushisrocking likes this

21 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 17 guests, 2 anonymous users