How dated is the original Fable game?

19 replies to this topic
Seahawksfan33
  • Seahawksfan33

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

I've never been able to play either of them as Fable was released when I was 13 (I'm 22 now and nearly 23) and Fable 2 was released right when I had a Playstation 3 instead of an Xbox 360 (I personally think that the Playstation 3 is a superior system and would never want an Xbox 360) with Fable 3 being Xbox 360 and PC exclusive (I won't run bootcamp on my iMac as it crashed last time). Is Fable dated compared to the later ones? Even if Fable 3 was available for the iMac, I wouldn't purchase it as Angry Joe completely hated the game with it acquiring almost no positive reception anywhere else. Does it still have the customization of the further Fable games? How dated is it?

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

It has the same customization a better world and the whole good and evil thing is actually a giant factor in the story .
And your appearance affects how others see you if anything the fable games only downgraded.
I dont wanna spam the thread but if u pm i can tell u the basic story and stuff f u get the chance PLAY IT ITS GREAT

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

A lot of fans argue that it's the best Fable of the series.  It's the only one I've ever played, and it was quite good.

• Th3MaN1 and SolidSnails like this

Seahawksfan33
  • Seahawksfan33

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:12 AM

A lot of fans argue that it's the best Fable of the series.  It's the only one I've ever played, and it was quite good.

Apparently the only negative thing about it is that you can't raise a kid like you can in the further game (nor can you buy a castle). Now I just need to find where they sell the Mac version for it...

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Best of luck too you and if you find it tell me how your enjoying the game.

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*ckerís always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

It's a very good game IMO. You might be best served waiting for Fable Anniversary to get released on Steam however, as that has touched up visuals.

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

I actually just bought Fable 2 on my 360 and just started playing it. I'm already liking the combat better than the first one

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

I loved Fable as well as Fable 3 (screw the reviews). Still pissed that Fable 2 never made it to PC!

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*ckerís always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

I loved Fable as well as Fable 3 (screw the reviews). Still pissed that Fable 2 never made it to PC!

I quite enjoyed Fable 3, also. It's biggest issue though is that the second half of the game never really got properly realised (or even close to it) and unfortunately none of the post release content addressed that in any capacity, sadly.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

^ I didn't really mind the second half of the game. Sure it could have been better, it was over far too quickly, and some of the decisions I made ruined my kingdom (like drunk citizens everywhere lol) and couldn't be reversed, but I still enjoyed it though...

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Fable 2 is very good fun so worth getting xbox360 for. other fables suck big time.

BTW, xbox 360 is far superior machine. If you look at multiplatform games, you notice that on xbox they always run and look better than on PS3. Im not making this up, it has been noted by several game critics throughout the years.

So, man up and get xbox360.

Seahawksfan33
  • Seahawksfan33

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

Best of luck too you and if you find it tell me how your enjoying the game.

The Lost Chapters (which is the original Fable plus an extra story with a bunch added in for bonus) is the one on the iMac, and I'm already on my way to purchasing it on Amazon.

Seahawksfan33
  • Seahawksfan33

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Quick question, is the game open world? People say it's linear completely, yet others say it's open world.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

It isn't really open world because the world is devided into smaller, separate areas (with loading screens between them), but it is free roaming, meaning you can basically go where and when you want, do some side quests if you're not busy with the main story, search for hidden stuff etc.

Seahawksfan33
  • Seahawksfan33

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Didn't Skyrim have a ton of loading screens as well though (along with Oblivion)?

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM Edited by W2B, 10 June 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Only when you enter/exit buildings, towns/cities, caves etc. The rest of the map in Oblivion/Skyrim is completely open without any loading screens, unlike Fable where the areas are quite small and restricted.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

I loved Fable 2, and I didn't even play the original Fable :miranda:

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:56 PM Edited by Audiophile, 10 June 2014 - 04:00 PM.

I love the Fable series.

I played the first one right when it released on my Xbox. Loved it since then, the story, the world, the gameplay. 

Current gen I went with a 360 instead of a PS3 at launch. And one of the main reasons for that was, I knew Fable was an Xbox exclusive. I enjoyed Fable 2 and 3. One can argue that too many things were promised in the game and it was overhyped but if you play it and enjoy it for what it is, it's a lot of fun. Not a bad game at all. There is enough of the "new" in each instalment to keep you interested and enough of the "old" that Fable fans enjoy. 

That was one of my struggles when deciding what console to get at launch this gen...but I went with a PS4 because Fable Legends doesn't really interest me and the PS4 seems like it will have the better games and console this gen. At least that's how it looks at launch.

Back to Fable Legends: It's not a "classic" Fable game. When and if they announce the next Fable, I will do my best to pick up a XBO for it. I plan to pick one up at some point to enjoy all the exclusives and a new Fable would be the perfect incentive to do so. 

If you enjoy it for what it is, it's a great series. Shame about Fable Legends, I don't like the direction they are taking it in essentially making it a dungeon crawler and co-op. 

I hope that isn't the end of the line for the Fable series. 

Fable 3 was a perfectly fine addition to the Fable series. Angry Joe was creaming his panties over it pre-release. Then when it released, he changed his tune because he didn't take it for what it was but for all it was being over-hyped to be. The head dev at the time, Peter Molyneux, he is NOTORIOUS for overhyping games and features. Anyone with half a brain knew not to believe him.

Play it for yourself and enjoy it for what it is. The best in the series is still, IMO, the first Fable with the expansion. But 2 and 3 add enough new things and keep enough of the old to keep it interesting. 

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Definitely get the first. It's a masterpiece, through the combat is a little wonky, but with some decent skills, you can rack up the combos nicely.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Let me tell you a horror story of Fable 3:

I played it through, and quite liked it.

Now, at the end, the game informed me that I had a full year of game time to come up with money to fight the darkness.

So, I emptied the treasury and invested it all in shops and buildings.

For by my calculations these investments would produce enough cash in a year to win the oncoming final battle.

What happened next was this:

After only three weeks of game time gone, the game suddenly announced that time was up and the enemy was here!!!

What the heck???

Now, all my money was invested, so the treasury was empty. So I lost the war and everybody died in the kingdom.

I was so mad! I mean first the game gives me year, and then takes it away. Was that supposed to be a joke, or just a bug?

Anyway, it totally spoiled the game, and I never played it again.

And if I ever see Peter Molyneux, I shall kick him in the nadgers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users