Rise of the Tomb Raider

178 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

QTE's only happen in the beginning. I have no idea why they didn't just get rid of them entirely. As for DLC bugs, if there are workarounds why not use them? Since you have the game I'd suggest you keep playing.

Anyway, I probably won't get the new one until they release a GOTY like they always do. These companies have literally trained me not to buy their half-finished games. But I'd still like to know how's the performance on the PC. So do tell.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:44 PM Edited by Fireman, 28 January 2016 - 07:45 PM.

QTE's only happen in the beginning. I have no idea why they didn't just get rid of them entirely. As for DLC bugs, if there are workarounds why not use them? Since you have the game I'd suggest you keep playing.

The workaround was restarting the game.

That's not what I would call a workaround but that's what a Square Enix employee calls a workaround. Imagine being at 99% with that part being the last and the solution being "restart the game".

I probably won't buy it, only got this one for €1 in a humble bundle pack, my brother loved it so thought I'd try it. Honestly I had more fun in Uncharted 1 (haven't played any of the other ones yet though).

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:16 PM Edited by K20, 29 January 2016 - 02:18 PM.

the graphics in game are stunning. it is very system hungry, more than witcher IMO. betting money this will be used to benchmark new systems.

running 4770 with 980ti and i have stable 60fps with everything on max, except anti-aliasing, which is on MSAA. if i up to MSAA x 2 i average 53 fps and MSAA x 4 is 46 fps. the recommended nvidia settings dumb it down a little, so best to ignore it.

story line is good, just passed the introduction stage and in Serbia gathering wood and stuff. basically deja vu of the last installment in terms of scavenging for upgrades etc. would like to see the weapons in this version, as of now the starting is the basic bow and arrow.

Fireman: as long as your system is up to par you do not need to play previous installment, the story line is new.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:18 PM Edited by Fireman, 29 January 2016 - 10:22 PM.

It's a sequel to the one before, so if I'm not mistaken if Tomb Raider was a pile of sh*t, chances are big that this will be as well.

And Tomb Raider was indeed a pile of sh*t, atleast 140 minutes in.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

Idk fireman the last installment actually brought me into the series I rate it quite highly from a personal standpoint. I've never really been a big fan of the series in the past and for me at least they had got the formula right for me to enjoy it.

Still haven't picked up this one yet though, trying to resits and save it for when I don't have any games to play but I will probably cave in very soon :)

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:24 AM Edited by Crystal3lf, 30 January 2016 - 06:27 AM.

It's a sequel to the one before, so if I'm not mistaken if Tomb Raider was a pile of sh*t, chances are big that this will be as well.

Tomb Raider (2013) is one of the highest rated games on Steam at 95%. I played its entirety and was most satisfied, so I didn't hold back on buying the new Rise of the Tomb Raider; which so far has been equally as fantastic which is also sitting on a 91% rating.

Please do tell why you hated it so much, as only 5% of people would agree with you.

But I'd still like to know how's the performance on the PC. So do tell.

I have a [email protected] and a STRIX GTX970, settings all max at 1080p besides my AA of which I'm using FXAA. Solid 50-70FPS depending on the location besides when loading a large new zone, it takes a few seconds to go from 30FPS back to it's normal ~60. I tried MSAAx4 at first but I couldn't get past 30-35FPS, it's very taxing, FXAA however still looks perfectly fine.

Some people(mainly bullsh*t clickbait media sites) have been complaining about performance, but it's either down to needing a decent PC or turning down the AA a little. I think some of this could be improved with a patch, but it's nothing to worry about at all.
  • The Yokel likes this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

My worse enemy...

e1783d53d5282a265d11e08d2d1c1a19.gif

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:42 PM Edited by Fireman, 30 January 2016 - 12:48 PM.

Tomb Raider (2013) is one of the highest rated games on Steam at 95%. I played its entirety and was most satisfied, so I didn't hold back on buying the new Rise of the Tomb Raider; which so far has been equally as fantastic which is also sitting on a 91% rating.

Please do tell why you hated it so much, as only 5% of people would agree with you.

I'll just quote what someone from PC Gamer wrote as he had the exact same experience as me and he's a "professional";

PC Gamer - Ragequit Moments

I ragequit a series. One of my favourite series, in fact, but despite knowing that I burn with the self-righteous anger of a fanboy, I won’t go back to Tomb Raider. Each time I post about an impending Rise of the Tomb Raider release I secretly wish that Microsoft’s exclusivity deal had been that little bit more exclusive. I retreat to a dark corner so as to escape the vile glow of other people’s excitement.

I tolerated the new Tomb Raider, for a time. The blocky climbing frame formula of the previous games was ancient after all, and the series was due for a refresh, but Crystal Dynamics refreshed it so hard it became something else, namely an over-earnest story about a psychotic, angst-ridden gap year.

The open, choose-your-own-route environments had a dash of brilliance about them, but on every clifftop was a platoon to be mown down while teen Lara warbled about “Bastards!” in a comically bad British accent. And the actress is British! I got so sick of shooting things and failing QTEs that I left the main story in search of what I was led to believe would be a tomb to raid: The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer. It was in the name. What I got was a lone physics puzzle, but as I was willing to try anything to relive Lara’s glory days at that point, I gave it a crack anyway.

The lone physics puzzle bugged. The body of a crashed plane I had to topple to make a bridge just hung in the air devoid of support. The sole remnant of Tomb Raider’s heritage as a puzzler was inexplicably borked. I’m done.

The puzzles that are there and functioning have been too easy (only 3 hours in, I know, but whatever) or non-functional (like the DLC one mentioned above, also the first "puzzle" I ran into). The QTE are terrible, with the bad UI and layout so you never know what to press since you're trying to see what's happening while they sneak in what button to press at the bottom.

Also CTD's, 3 years after game release.

There wasn't really a sense of adventure or any challenging puzzles, the only thing that was challenging were badly constructed QTE's and broken non-functional puzzles (once again, only 3 hours in, probably like the guy from PC Gamer, but yeah, I shouldn't be expected to continue after that garbage of an intro).

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

My worse enemy...

how to get a coloured death scene? everytime i die mine goes black and white.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

My worse enemy...

I think it does right after that, video just cut off before.

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

My worse enemy...

I think it does right after that, video just cut off before.

What Smitty said, The Gyazo GIF app only records 10 seconds of video

PoeticWhisper
  • PoeticWhisper

Owner of Up-n-Atom Diner, Paleto Bay

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • None

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Bumper Cars.

I only just finished this now. I really, really enjoyed it. Thought it all wrapped up really nicely. Graphics were stunning, story was good, gameplay was solid (minus a few times when Lara just decided she didn't feel like grabbing a ledge.) Very satisfied. Just like the 2013 one, great game would recommend it.

• Crossed likes this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:42 PM Edited by X S, 18 February 2016 - 04:47 PM.

but on every clifftop was a platoon to be mown down while teen Lara warbled about “Bastards!” in a comically bad British accent. And the actress is British!

>gripes about bad British accent

>actress is British

>professional game journalist

1322798437001.png

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:15 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 06 March 2016 - 06:15 PM.

The map is so good. The Fast travel system is something I wish other linear titles had. Its like your actually invested in an area instead of just passing through. I'm about 82% complete and wish I had more. Great game. Graphics are great on X1 too. The 30fps isn't too bad either.

Mak
  • Mak

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

Running it on an almost ancient system Quad Core q9400 and a GTX 750 (1gb) the game runs at 30 to 40 fps usually on medium settings and still looks good, the only thing to cause slowdowns is the pure hair but it looks so good. the story is engaging and this is the first game in a long time in which im collecting the collectibles especially the documents as they are well made and give a good insight to the story.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:31 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 07 March 2016 - 04:06 PM.

They really did do a good job with the documents part of the game. Just by having voice actors read them to you is a huge plus, it definitely defines the story. Which the story isn't too bad at all. I was surprised actually. But there setup of the documents, survival catches,maps,murals,ect. are a great part of the game. I like how sometimes its hard to remember where to get to certain parts of the map to grab collectables you left behind. It makes for some serious exploration of the map. Like every inch to be exact. There challenges are great too. Really makes you look at times.

The Baba Yaga DLC was really good. The witch was spooky as all get out. A nice new couple of areas to venture to. Some more challenges of course. I will probably try Endurance Mode once I finish the main game. I did the Baba Yaba DLC before I finished the game for that DLC. Which fits in nicely. Not sure what Cold Darkness Awakened is all about yet. It says: "and combat waves of infected predators in Cold Darkness Awakened" so not sure. But for DLC I think thats pretty much it. I wish we got three "Baba Yaga" type DLC instead of just one.

I hear that the PS4 version might be under a different developer and might add content to the game? The season pass details for X1 and PC state: "In addition, a steady stream of outfits, weapons, and Expedition Cards beginning on Day 1 and continuing over four months will keep you customizing, expanding, and challenging your friends to new adventures."

So.......four months isn't very long, and the PS4 version will be coming in November of 2016......or since it might get done by another developer, does the one year exclusive rights still hold up? Confusing to say the least. I would love more content for the game, but if that meant charging me for that extra content after already buying a season pass (because it will be expired in four months) I'm not going to be happy about that. I really don't hope they pull a "Turn 10" on us and try to charge us for that extra content, like they do with the Forza series and there crap car pass.

Before anyone gets in an uproar, the PS4 version being done by a separate developer thats not Square Enix is completly a rumor, no fact to any of it. So it might not even happen. Also the rumor of the PS4 version releasing before November of 2016 because of being made by a different developer is also just a rumor. So it might not even be true. Just thought I would clear that up before anyone pointed it out.

All round though, I love the game. I wish they would just quit with the timed exclusive deal or exclusives in general. Its only hurting developers numbers on sales in short term and long. So many great games that could have been so much more popular if they were not exclusives. Sunset Overdrive.....yeah if that game wasn't an exclusive and on PC and PS4. We would all be seeing a sequal probably this year. "Thats a bummer man." I really would like a sequal. Too many games to list on that subject, that one stood out to me first.

EDIT: The rumors were totally false regarding the PS4 version of ROTTR being developed by a different developer. Someone put the wrong logo on a website. LOL.

http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/update-avalanche-studios-is-not-developing-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-for-ps4-206

jollythecat
  • jollythecat

Only in it for the CCC. (Coke, Cars, Crates)

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

I can't bleeding wait to play this game.

I loved the first 3-4 Tomb Raider games, then there was a down period with some not so good games.

The 2013 Tomb Raider was amazing, seriously amazing.

Too bad the game will be one year old when it release on ps4, but hopefully it will bring some extras on ps4 release.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

I've been researching to find out if the PS4 version maybe will have more content, but I just don't think it will. I'm hoping it does because The Baba Yaga: Temple of The Witch DLC was really good. It adds to an already great game and also its something you can complete before you beat the game which is really nice. Scary at first as well. I'm looking forward to Endurance mode which sounds fun once I beat the game. Cold Darkness Awakened sounds like a survival mode, which can be great at times (Treyarch Zombies with CoD). But if PS4 version does get something extra on release or after, I'm sure it will be avail. to Xbox One and PC as well. I just can't see Microsoft not having something in there contract/agreement with the developer that would leave them out in any way. Now, would it be included in the season pass........that is the quesion of the day. I'm sure it would be but who knows.

But now that I think about this timed release of this game I'm starting to think a little outside the box on the matter. I think Microsoft knew Uncharted 4 would be a hit, when was that original Uncharted 4 release date again? Microsoft needed something to compete with Uncharted 4. A timed release of Rise of The Tomb Raider can only help there cause. But we all know Uncharted 4 will probably easily outsell ROTTR at launch and even long term.

Archer V.3
  • Archer V.3

Drow Ranger

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:25 AM Edited by Archer V.3, 23 March 2016 - 05:30 AM.

Rise of the Tomb Raider DLC concludes March 29

Even if Rise of the Tomb Raider came to PC a few months late, at least the extras are in sync with console—despite those extras being served lukewarm. Rise of the Tomb Raider's season pass has one last chance to fix itself in our memories, with the final instalment, Cold Darkness Awakened, releasing March 29.
As is Tomb Raider tradition, the weirdest stuff goes down in Russia, so Cold Darkness Awakened takes you off to a decommission Cold War research facility in Siberia. Some form of 'affliction' (say, a virus?) spreads, turning soldiers into "bloodthirsty killers who thrive on carnage". So zombies, with earlier reports suggesting it will be a wave-based challenge.
If you don't already own the season pass, Cold Darkness Awakened will cost $10.
"Rise of the Tomb Raider" - Complete Experience Trailer
PcBV9b6.jpg

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:15 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 23 March 2016 - 01:16 PM.

Is this new DLC like Baba Yaba, where it added to the main map and game or is it like a DLC thats like Endurace mode, not story DLC but like an extra mode?

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

"She'll make .5 past light speed"

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:10 AM Edited by Riqitch8, 08 April 2016 - 12:11 PM.

First of all, I would like to say that Rise of the Tomb Raider is a great game. Not as good as the first game (2013) in terms of story, however. I'd say ROTTR has great graphics and most of the elements of the game are done fabulously. Camilla Luddington for Lara in the movie reboot pls.

Are there any PS4 readers here? I would like to know if you'd still be up for buying the game when it comes out near the end of the year, even though Uncharted 4 comes out in May?

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

6PZ4MRJ.jpgI just got this on PC and holy f*ck does it look mind blowing. I'm loving this game. Take a look at all my screenshots!

http://imgur.com/a/Mwdme

• trip and X S like this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

Got dayum.  Those almost want to make me rebuy the game on PC.

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

still waiting for the ps4 release

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:52 AM Edited by Chewie, 01 July 2016 - 01:05 AM.

bGtN4hQ.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/9jCc5

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

"She'll make .5 past light speed"

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

still waiting for the ps4 release

Let's wait for Gamescom next month, it's most likely going to be talked about there. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Gamescom is bigger to Square Enix than E3 is. :/

Setzaroth
  • Setzaroth

Machiavellian Fist Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:30 PM

I'm pretty impressed with this game so far. I got the 20th anniversary edition on PC for $25 and decided to do a Playthrough series. (Not a let's play, I don't talk during)

Here's the first part, if anyone is interested.

• gajrajgchouhan likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Playa

• Members

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:00 AM

beat this game 4 weeks ago, great game and a much better experience than the first one IMO

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Everybody lies. No exceptions.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

I love this game; the first one was great, but IMO this one was even better. It may not be that drastically different from the first one, but I think it's one of those sequels like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or Far Cry 4 that mainly focus on adding in little tweaks and improvements that add so much to the experience.

And I've gotta say, I'm a complete sucker for the setting. Mountains! Snowy forests! Ice caves! Bigass grizzly bears you can fight, The Edge style! It's like this game was designed just to make me happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users