Photo

Memories

13 replies to this topic
ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:19 PM Edited by ocd, 10 June 2014 - 05:29 PM.

Edit: Decided to make a new topic because my previous topic had a misleading topic title.

Four years has passed since this game was at it's peak for me. Summer of 2010 was a very special time for me, looking back at it almost bring tears to my eyes. I was 12 years old playing Grand Theft Auto IV and drinking Coca-Cola and eating Cheez Doodles. That summer just flew by when I think about it.

IV didn't have so much to offer after you've completed the main missions but somehow I always found myself occupied, from cruising the streets of Bohan to shooting up a hospital in Schottler, late nights turned to early mornings. I always hoped that Grand Theft Auto V would have had the same impact as IV did but now I know that it will never happen.

The way I see it is that you either see that Grand Theft Auto IV is really misunderstood and underrated game or you never experienced it properly and you hate the driving and the annoying characters.

When did you play IV and under what circumstances?

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:47 PM Edited by Grievous, 10 June 2014 - 03:51 PM.

I watched the first trailer of Grand Theft Auto IV along with everybody else, crashing several website network due to heavy traffic.
I was disappointed like everybody else when during summer 2007 it was announced that IV would be delayed until early 2008. I decided to further use this opportunity as an excuse to delay my purchase of a 'next gen' console.

I bought a playstation 3 towards the end of 2008's summer, and finally got a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV during late October I think, it was precisely that same day the Trophy patch was added to the playstation 3 version.

I had about a week of time to spare so I took advantage of it and played in for five or six days straight, never checking the internet for walkthrough guides or hints or comments or whatever, I just played the game by my own, explored and savored things by my own.
I would awe at the game's at the time 'next gen' graphics and features such as the much improved ragdoll physics.
I would also wonder at all the little missing features or misinterpretations the previews cited.

I played the game without focusing too much on side missions or random rampages, exactly like I how used to play the older Grand Theft Autos, only tackling story missions.
To my greatest joy and surprise however was that IV had such care and 'focus' on its story aspect it didn't gave the impression like I was only playing 'half' of the game as the older games occasionally did. I was instead greeted with a full and through story mode experience, with the additional hangout features with story NPCs as a highlight, and the internet news report and emails to read and respond to.

I had my gripes.
The camera position was different than the older games where your character and vehicle was always at the 'center', now it's slightly tilted to the left, and it took me a while to get used to.
The game looked a bit 'dark' too, I had to spend some time toggling the brightness and contrast level many times.
The radio station selection didn't impressed me all that much, and to this day I still find it highly disappointing that a custom soundtrack playlist can not be made on the console version, as I knew I wanted to spend hours upon hours with this game but not feeling like I'm always listening to the same song selection -that also seems to repeat itself more frequently than older games too.

I must have played for more than thirty hours in my first playthrough since I didn't get that particular time limit trophy/achievement on my first go, though it must be because I spend quite a while hanging out with the various friends, and got that 'reach positivity over ninety percent' one.

I eventually only made use of a guide post-game to find if I missed any significant detail; turns out I missed One Random Stranger, the one with Illyena Faustin in Hove Beach, who would have thought of going back there at that point in the story?

Throughout the year of 2009 I would repeatedly replay IV, all while sulking at the Episodes from Liberty City remaining an Xbox exclusive.
In early 2010 I was eventually planning to buy an Xbox just to get my hands on the DLCs.
Yet, as if fate was striking again, that same day I see that Rockstar announced the Episodes were coming the playstation 3 and PC.
There was much rejoicing. And as I recall in the forums too!

The Ballad of Gay Tony was disappointing, but the Lost and Damned made a fine 'extended piece' to IV, keeping that same 'grounded magic', if the term makes sense.

Late 2011 the first trailer for V came out, I recall not being particularly impressed by it somehow.
I decided to skip all news media until the game comes out. The subsequent trailers did looked better, but too much 'deja vu' to it, apart from the 'meet Michael' trailer, that one was truly special.
Played V during the whole month of November last year, my first playthrough of V extending at well over a hundred hours, and was well satisfied, except for the abrupt ending which left a bad taste somehow.

And even though I only spent a quarter of that length playing IV in my first playthrough back in November 2008, somehow, I believe that initial experience with IV was not only equal to that of V, perhaps even superior in some regards.
Mostly for being that one true 'next gen' experience I had.

V may have trumped everything I've seen on a console game in terms of graphical scale, but sadly, it did not surpassed IV's now 'last-gen' grounded magic it provided all those years ago.
V's 'meet Michael' did gave me hope the game would maintain a sort of 'minimalist-excellence' IV and Lost & Damned did, and to some extent, V did had those shades of minimalist-excellence... sadly, its focus was misguided, or abrupt.

Here's to Grand Theft Auto VI, for that next 'next gen' moment of awe that is to come.
  • ocd likes this

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:26 PM Edited by ocd, 10 June 2014 - 07:29 PM.

I watched the first trailer of Grand Theft Auto IV along with everybody else, crashing several website network due to heavy traffic.
I was disappointed like everybody else when during summer 2007 it was announced that IV would be delayed until early 2008. I decided to further use this opportunity as an excuse to delay my purchase of a 'next gen' console.

I bought a playstation 3 towards the end of 2008's summer, and finally got a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV during late October I think, it was precisely that same day the Trophy patch was added to the playstation 3 version.

I had about a week of time to spare so I took advantage of it and played in for five or six days straight, never checking the internet for walkthrough guides or hints or comments or whatever, I just played the game by my own, explored and savored things by my own.
I would awe at the game's at the time 'next gen' graphics and features such as the much improved ragdoll physics.
I would also wonder at all the little missing features or misinterpretations the previews cited.

I played the game without focusing too much on side missions or random rampages, exactly like I how used to play the older Grand Theft Autos, only tackling story missions.
To my greatest joy and surprise however was that IV had such care and 'focus' on its story aspect it didn't gave the impression like I was only playing 'half' of the game as the older games occasionally did. I was instead greeted with a full and through story mode experience, with the additional hangout features with story NPCs as a highlight, and the internet news report and emails to read and respond to.

I had my gripes.
The camera position was different than the older games where your character and vehicle was always at the 'center', now it's slightly tilted to the left, and it took me a while to get used to.
The game looked a bit 'dark' too, I had to spend some time toggling the brightness and contrast level many times.
The radio station selection didn't impressed me all that much, and to this day I still find it highly disappointing that a custom soundtrack playlist can not be made on the console version, as I knew I wanted to spend hours upon hours with this game but not feeling like I'm always listening to the same song selection -that also seems to repeat itself more frequently than older games too.

I must have played for more than thirty hours in my first playthrough since I didn't get that particular time limit trophy/achievement on my first go, though it must be because I spend quite a while hanging out with the various friends, and got that 'reach positivity over ninety percent' one.

I eventually only made use of a guide post-game to find if I missed any significant detail; turns out I missed One Random Stranger, the one with Illyena Faustin in Hove Beach, who would have thought of going back there at that point in the story?

Throughout the year of 2009 I would repeatedly replay IV, all while sulking at the Episodes from Liberty City remaining an Xbox exclusive.
In early 2010 I was eventually planning to buy an Xbox just to get my hands on the DLCs.
Yet, as if fate was striking again, that same day I see that Rockstar announced the Episodes were coming the playstation 3 and PC.
There was much rejoicing. And as I recall in the forums too!

The Ballad of Gay Tony was disappointing, but the Lost and Damned made a fine 'extended piece' to IV, keeping that same 'grounded magic', if the term makes sense.

Late 2011 the first trailer for V came out, I recall not being particularly impressed by it somehow.
I decided to skip all news media until the game comes out. The subsequent trailers did looked better, but too much 'deja vu' to it, apart from the 'meet Michael' trailer, that one was truly special.
Played V during the whole month of November last year, my first playthrough of V extending at well over a hundred hours, and was well satisfied, except for the abrupt ending which left a bad taste somehow.

And even though I only spent a quarter of that length playing IV in my first playthrough back in November 2008, somehow, I believe that initial experience with IV was not only equal to that of V, perhaps even superior in some regards.
Mostly for being that one true 'next gen' experience I had.

V may have trumped everything I've seen on a console game in terms of graphical scale, but sadly, it did not surpassed IV's now 'last-gen' grounded magic it provided all those years ago.
V's 'meet Michael' did gave me hope the game would maintain a sort of 'minimalist-excellence' IV and Lost & Damned did, and to some extent, V did had those shades of minimalist-excellence... sadly, its focus was misguided, or abrupt.

Here's to Grand Theft Auto VI, for that next 'next gen' moment of awe that is to come.

Masterfully written, love hearing about peoples IV nostalgia.

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Anybody else have a story?

ric4rd094
  • ric4rd094

Remember who you are... :)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:30 AM Edited by ric4rd094, 13 June 2014 - 06:41 AM.

With me, it all started with an announcment in a polish magazine "CD-Action". I think I read whole text about 100 times or more ;)

I didn't have internet connection then and I didn't even know when IV is coming out. After a while I was shocked, because it was only coming to consoles. Maaan, I was dissapointed a little, but I decided to wait. In August 2008 I had internet "installed" and I dicovered magnificent trailers of IV by R*. I was resisting to watch any gameplay from console but I watched a couple shots ;)

Then in December my friend called and said "Heeeyy I got GTA IV on PC finally! Come to me and we'll check it out!"
I was so pumped that I took my bicycle and went to him right away.

I played with him for about 1 hour and then got back home with borrowed IV. My PC was middle class back then and IV wasn't optimized very well, but nevermind. I adjusted setting just to have these ~25 fps :D

GTA IV was/is not a game for me - it was an experience. The first truly nextgen GTA was awesome back then. I could stop story missions progress and just mess with Euphoria physics engine ;)
At first, dark, glommy atmosphere didn't fit me very well to be honest. After funny San Andreas I hoped for something diffrent.
But I understood finally why this game is so good - it's so balanced and atmosphere is so unique thy even today it's still a masterpiece.

In 2010 I bought a console which I have now.
I played IV once again but the controls felt better. Driving with a pad is much better than with keyboard.

I replay IV once in a while (just finished another playthrough a week ago).
This game will be never forgotten by me.
Magnificent story, character, protagonist and atmosphere will keep this game alive.
Even V didn't so much impact on me (in fact, it's a most dissapointing GTA for me).

I planning another playthrough of Vice City, San Andreas and finally IV just now :)

PS. Silent, please release your patch as soon as you can :)
  • ocd likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I was surprised too by the lack of people commenting on this topic, then I realized you posted in the gameplay sub-forum, instead of the main Grand Theft Auto IV forum board.

Maybe less people visit the sub forums?

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Believe it or not I only got into Grand Theft Auto last year. I had heard about the series before, but I never played any of the games before. I played Vice City for the first time on my friend's iPad. When I got home, I asked my brother if he had any Grand Theft Auto games. He did and I started out by playing GTA III. I soon went on to Vice City and San Andreas. I soon got a hold of IV and it felt astounding and majestic. A new city. A new atmosphere, breathing new life that I had never experienced before. I got lost in a world that felt alive, something that I never experienced before. I spent most of my summer break getting lost in the alleyways of Broker and Dukes and cruising the streets of Algonquin in my Infernus. The story captivated me, as did the city. No matter how much my friends tried to lead me astray from the game by saying that "San Andreas is so much better with the Carl and the gangsters", I stayed with IV. I haven't spent as much time with IV as others have, but I have some great memories with IV. I remember watching the trailers for V and being lured into the false sense of superiority. It wasn't until V came out that I truly respected IV as much as I should've. I find myself wandering the streets of Liberty City much more than the countryside of Los Santos and Los Santos itself. I roamed the streets even more from the opposite views of the city, with Johnny's dark visualization of Liberty and Luis' upbeat view of the city. The game still amazes me today and I hope, no, I know that I will never retire IV.

• ric4rd094 likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Want me to cut you up and sell your organs?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:43 PM Edited by B Dawg, 14 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

I can't remember much. When I got myself IV, all I did was have fun and didn't really think about anything, didn't compare it to other games or anything. I was suprised by LCHC at first, while I found the music to be top notch, it took some time getting used to the vocals. The only clear memories I have are from my multiplayer days:

I had the game since around 2010, and spent about a year or so messing around in Singleplayer. I had a friend that I played SAMP a lot with, and he always told me to get on IV multiplayer. I eventually figured out how to set up the internet on my PS3, and I was invited by the same friend to a Multiplayer race, Drag Kings with Muscle Cars. Being my first race, I won very easily against my friend and a couple of other random players. Overall I was a noob, switching between Auto-aim and Free-aim matches until finally deciding for Free-aim, but my primary game mode was Race. Oh how enjoyable they were. There has never been a better feeling than beating other racers with slower or more difficult to drive vehicles, laughing that they lost to a SuperGT or a Zombie chopper. The driving mechanics were so good I prefered IV Multiplayer Racing over any other game. They just felt right.

Soon I developed my own set of crazy codes that I would follow for the next few months, involving things like 'Driveby is not fair, only shoot on foot Comets are for pussy fags in Race, I only use with Pistols because everyone else sucks' (well the random players you find in lobbies did suck hard, involving high ranking players who couldn't kill without RPGs or corner shooting glitches) etc...

In some way I turned into a crazy ass hipster, until I matured and started to get along with the GTAF community and their gangs. They were a great group of skilled and friendly players (ajbns, madmonk, illadope, andyganteks, highwayreaper, tox1c, etc...) with whom I would participate in Events.

I have some very pleasant memories of things I did playing Mafiya Work, I would get a police car and instead of doing objectives, I would make it harder for everyone else to do them. I was sort of a Vigilante player while playing that game mode. It was very fun to do, but at the same time I felt a bit bad for annoying other players by camping the objective or similar...

There was always a struggle for me to find like-minded players, people who would instead of playing the 'popular' and 'sh*tty' match settings, only the fasters cars, only on Sunny weather, would rather play something different and unique every time. I only found a few, one of them being Dealer_Of_Spades, who would become my best GTA friend and partner, who I would always play any gamemode with, racing with Muscle Cars or Choppers on Wet Roads for a more challenging, fun experience.

Onto the Free Mode aspect, playing with the police off, traffic off, beating up pedestrians with Fists, Baseball Bats or Knifes, continuously taunting them with funny lines and counter-attacking them was one of the things I really loved doing. Shame that these features weren't even in the Singleplayer mode, who wouldn't like a cheat to turn off the police, traffic, or the ability to taunt pedestrians (especially when the Taunt button didn't do anything in SP while on foot)

Well that's about as many memories I can think of right now.

Black Metal
  • Black Metal

Enjoying Life Virtually

• Members
  • India
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Played Gta 4 3times and both episodes twice and still my heart bumps for it as was just released yesterday.

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

I started to play GTA IV right after Christmas of 2010.

I had GTA IV for PC in 2009 but my computer couldn't handle the game, so I forgot about it...

Then I finally had it on Xbox 360, with the Xbox 360 too during 2010's Christmas (awesome Christmas I should say BTW :) ). I played the sh*t out of it for hours and hours, I even won the "finish the game in 24 Hours trophy" for the first try  :wtf: 

I had so much fun with IV, the game just blew my mind away. There were so many things to do, to see, and the best of all = Another story !

I remember, one of my best moment I had with IV was when the deal with Dimitri went wrong, when Roman and Niko discovered their appartment burned down by mobsters. It stayed in my mind forever, I was so exited to see what was going to happen next that I almost forgot I was playing a game and that I was instead watching a pretty good movie :D .

Just like III, VC and SA, alot of memories stays in my mind, but some of them are so strong with IV that I would love to play the game again for the first time, just like GTA III :) .

Now I still play the game on my PC with its DLC and I still enjoy it :p .

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

I was surprised too by the lack of people commenting on this topic, then I realized you posted in the gameplay sub-forum, instead of the main Grand Theft Auto IV forum board.

Maybe less people visit the sub forums?

Oh, I didn't know about the main forum. :-)

I xCallum I
  • I xCallum I

Playing GTA IV

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have started playing the game only recently.

Seriously. How did I ever overlook this game?

ocd
  • ocd

Foot Fetishist

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Can a moderator move a topic?

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

My text is smaller than everyone elses, but i still feel the same.
I remember car graphics.. so real! When i first stole a stalion and crashed it against a pillar that holds the train tracks above hove beach while i was speeding.. It was magnific. That feeling when i first saw car deformation of IV still is my first and best memories of this game.
I have spent more time than i should just crashing cars sideways, on trees, backwards.. just to whatch how nicely cars take damage.
  • ric4rd094 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users