Quantcast

» «
Photo

Maturity is nessecary to enjoy a Grand Theft Auto game.

4 replies to this topic
Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:48 PM Edited by Spadge007, 09 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

Moved to the right section.

Hey Community !

I writing this because the subject I'm gonna talk about turns out to be almost everywhere on the net, under every single Youtube video about GTA, on TV talk shows etc.

Grand Theft Auto and kids ... Are tiresome subject, even more tiresome if you got one that connected on your vocal chat ..

I think those big red numbers on the game cover aren't just some fancy adornments, from a general point of view GTA has a lot of mature content under it's pure form, gore, sexual content, swearing, violence and also a way of exolting a criminal lifestyle in a more tacit way. I'm not going further on those arguments because you hear them all over on some cheap TV talk shows with overcaring, over protective, dumb & ignorant parents that should inform theirselves rather than starting to blame something in it's entirety. Before blaming a game which has an explicit and visible PEGI rating because it may harm your 12 year old son who somehow managed to get the game running on his console, learn to parent first !

It's true that those kind of games may represent a danger for kids, who may be suggestible by such stuff, but after all we know that those "pieces of software" are not training devices for terrorists, I think people should get their guns under control before blaiming video games. (Not saying with should forbid americans to carry guns, but just regulate the whole matter).

There's another point I want to clear out, which is more important to me, the question of appreciating such a game right, which doesn't only conscern the younger players among us. A GTA game is fully-loaded with pop-culture references, allusions to Movies/Series, books, personalities, and of course, politics. This starts from the very early GTA III to the current title. Just take Vice City for example, the game takes most of it's inspirations from Miami Vice or Scarfaces, references which are a must-know when you play this game. I remember always having a grin of my face when I walked through the story and heard a famous movie line here and there, some ad banners or radio spots which were an allusion to that movie or when you figure out that Ray Liotta was grateful enough to lend his voice to Tommy and the great Phillip Micheal Thomas, Ricardo Tubbs from Miami Vice was voice acting Lance Vance ! The writers and developers always rewarded you at a point by diggin' a bit and placing some cool insiders here and there.

Even bigger in GTA 5, such a big world with so much "insiders", the one I remembered like Lethal Weapons, Ghostbusters, Wayne's World, The Shining and of course how could you miss it, the legendary Kenny Loggins moderating Rock Radio himself   :music: . The ingame TV series, the social satire and everything else

Then I have to say, it's just depressing after all of this to encounter some prepub playing the game. "The deeper parody of the game is lost among all those 14 years old snobs. All they care about is stealing some virtual vehicle that will advance them no further than their own f*kin living rooms".

I think understanding such a game requires a minimum of prime of life, general knowledge, some references and maturity, because, especially GTA games try to create atmosphere and give depth to the game world.

Don't think I'm radical on my opinion, what I call matureness isn't acquired by archieving the age which is indicated on a game cover, of course there are some people that walk life with open eyes and have other points of interests than the typical hyped bullsh*t, but most of them remain formatted individuals which don't search further than the latest music clip.

When social fatalism encounters personal freedom, it doesn't always end well ..

Keen to know your opinions and reactions about this subject,

Spadge.

• Grumpy-Goat- likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

hmm.

this basically falls under the 'Does Media Cause Violence' category of debate. could also be filed under 'Nature versus Nurture.'

both of which we've had at length but can certainly dust off every couple of years given our culture. because let's face it; maturity is more or less the requirement to enjoy most things in a responsible world. and you're right, maturity is much less about age and much more about attitude.

understanding pop culture references is one thing. separating reality from fiction is another.

I'm usually more worried about the latter than the former.

• Failure likes this

Josh
  • Josh

I'm sitting in the middle waiting

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:18 AM Edited by Josh, 10 June 2014 - 04:23 AM.

I think those big red numbers on the game cover aren't just some fancy adornments, from a general point of view GTA has a lot of mature content under it's pure form, gore, sexual content, swearing, violence and also a way of exolting a criminal lifestyle in a more tacit way. I'm not going further on those arguments because you hear them all over on some cheap TV talk shows with overcaring, over protective, dumb & ignorant parents that should inform theirselves rather than starting to blame something in it's entirety. Before blaming a game which has an explicit and visible PEGI rating because it may harm your 12 year old son who somehow managed to get the game running on his console, learn to parent first !

Stating the obvious here. Of course the numbers on the box are more than 'fancy adornments', and the boxes pretty clearly signpost that. Not sure what your general point is here, or even if you have one.

It's true that those kind of games may represent a danger for kids, who may be suggestible by such stuff, but after all we know that those "pieces of software" are not training devices for terrorists, I think people should get their guns under control before blaiming video games. (Not saying with should forbid americans to carry guns, but just regulate the whole matter).

What do you mean by 'suggestible' in this context? Do you mean influenced? And influenced in what way? If you are talking about children actually repeating what they see in violent games then I don't think your point holds water in most cases. If you are talking about their attitudes towards the media and authority being changed as a result then I do agree, but I'm still waiting for you to make an actual point worthy of proper discussion.

Also, just as a heads-up, guns in the USA are regulated, just very poorly.

There's another point I want to clear out, which is more important to me, the question of appreciating such a game right, which doesn't only conscern the younger players among us. A GTA game is fully-loaded with pop-culture references, allusions to Movies/Series, books, personalities, and of course, politics. This starts from the very early GTA III to the current title. Just take Vice City for example, the game takes most of it's inspirations from Miami Vice or Scarfaces, references which are a must-know when you play this game.

OK so now we're finally getting to the meat of your post. You appear to be conflating the terms 'appreciate' and 'enjoy'. You can 'enjoy' something without fully appreciating everything behind it, just as you can 'appreciate' something without enjoying it. One is not a prerequisite for the other and that is where your argument falls flat on its arse.

Such references are thus not a 'must-know' when you play the game, they may elicit a knowing smile from an adult player who is familiar with Scarface but they do not add anything to the storyline of the game that is absolutely crucial for progression within the in-game environment.

I remember always having a grin of my face when I walked through the story and heard a famous movie line here and there, some ad banners or radio spots which were an allusion to that movie or when you figure out that Ray Liotta was grateful enough to lend his voice to Tommy and the great Phillip Micheal Thomas, Ricardo Tubbs from Miami Vice was voice acting Lance Vance ! The writers and developers always rewarded you at a point by diggin' a bit and placing some cool insiders here and there.[...] The ingame TV series, the social satire and everything else

You're possibly contradicting yourself a bit here by talking about 'some ad banners or radio spots'. They're not very important in the grand scheme of things and their only focus is to try and add some humour to the game based off of real events. An understandng of such small, unimportant things is not necessary to succeed in any missions, nor is it necessarily going to add anything to the replayability factor of the game.

Then I have to say, it's just depressing after all of this to encounter some prepub playing the game. "The deeper parody of the game is lost among all those 14 years old snobs. All they care about is stealing some virtual vehicle that will advance them no further than their own f*kin living rooms".

I daresay that plenty of 14 year old 'snobs' (why have you chosen that word there anyway?) understand at least a reasonable amount of the satire in the game, and if they are confused then they can read about it on the internet or ask a parent about it. I would also like to know who exactly it is that you are quoting here?

As an aside, when you are playing a mission do you necessarily think of anything other than the mission objective? I know I sometimes develop a sense of tunnel vision, and I'm an adult, so to castigate others for doing that is a little beyond my remit.

I think understanding such a game requires a minimum of prime of life, general knowledge, some references and maturity, because, especially GTA games try to create atmosphere and give depth to the game world.

Oh yes, understanding a game like GTA does require some degree of knowledge about other things. That's not exactly earth-shattering. But understanding doesn't necessarily overlap 100% with enjoyment as I've already said earlier (albeit in a different manner, reacting to a slightly different thing that you said in a previous paragraph). With that in mind I think it would be fair for me to say that you are confusing your words a lot here, and that is definitely costing your argument.

What is this 'prime of life' that you speak of?

There are also different levels of understanding, which I feel that your post doesn't account for. Do you mean understanding the mission structure, the programming, or the satire? Or all three?

Don't think I'm radical on my opinion, what I call matureness isn't acquired by archieving the age which is indicated on a game cover, of course there are some people that walk life with open eyes and have other points of interests than the typical hyped bullsh*t, but most of them remain formatted individuals which don't search further than the latest music clip.

So are you proposing that we all just stop playing games until we reach some arbitrary measure of maturity? And what are these 'formatted individuals'? Is that just a general swipe at teenagers, or did something meaningful get lost in translation?

When social fatalism encounters personal freedom, it doesn't always end well ..

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, or how it relates at all to anything that you have previously said. Which makes it a perfect conclusion to a very confusing post...

• Raavi and Scaglietti like this

LeVelocar
  • LeVelocar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

GTA is a series where the jokes and world view caters exclusively to white teen boys, and those who never grew out of that mindset. The "Satire" is below even family guy.

Making a bowling alley logo look like a cock and balls isn't high culture.

igotskiz
  • igotskiz

Gone to USAF BMT

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:17 AM Edited by igotskiz, 13 July 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Grand Theft Auto, under all of the guns, murder and drugs, is very childish at it's core.

GTA is a series where the jokes and world view caters exclusively to white teen boys, and those who never grew out of that mindset. The "Satire" is below even family guy.

Making a bowling alley logo look like a cock and balls isn't high culture.

I agree. And the episode of Princess Robot Bubblegum that showed on GTA IV revealed how horrible Rockstar is at comedy, assuming that was what they were even attempting to shoot at. You couldn't pay me to stretch my face muscles into a smile after watching them attempt at a form of satire. For example, again, with Master Hentai, it isn't a subtle sexual inneudo when the entire character is a sexual inneudo (his name, his head, the tip of his cane, his personality, more that I probably never found out).

It's funny when you stumble upon it.

Not when it is practically sticky-noted to the television screen, "<references> here".

Horrible.

Terrible.

Cringeworthy.

You get my point.

OP

I disagree with your original point of having to be of a certain maturity to enjoy a GTA game. Any person would enjoy driving cars into pedestrians, jumping out of a plane at height limit and land on your neck after a 10000ft drop, ragdoll physics, exploring, running away from dangers, etc.

That goes for all games. Anyone can find something to enjoy in a game (as long as they have a preference for it; personally, I don't like racing, wrestling or sports games), regardless of how old / mature you are.

And on that note, age /=/ maturity. I know very responsible, educated and well-behaved kids, then you have adults who are in jail for thinking their freedom was worth whatever was in a cash register of some lonely gas station or living day by day with arthritis pains from doing brash stunts that went bad when they were in their late teens-early twenties, likely showing off (my father, for example).

I agree with the media and how they handle violence. It's a tendency of humans to point fingers when you can't pin the blame on one specific party. They have to have someone(thing) to blame.

For example, when Columbine High Massacre happened, music (Marilyn Manson / Ozzy Ozbourne) and videogames (DOOM) were targets of the victim's parents and the media, and not the lack of care for Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris' school and home life. They had obvious problems at school from bullying and ostracization that were never paid any attention, Eric was put on many medications (if I'm correct), and both had access to guns. 

While what they did was horrible, I wouldn't pin the total blame on them but more of those who surrounded them and let their hatred for their lives get to the point it did.

And as for pinning the blame on guns, a popular saying by Larry the Cable Guy, "If you blame guns for shootings, I can blame spelling mistakes on my pencil."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users