Heavily armed gunmen attack Karachi's Jinnah International Airport

26 replies to this topic
RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Heavily armed gunmen have attacked Karachi international airport in Pakistan, killing at least nine people.

Hospital sources say three of the gunmen who attacked Jinnah International Airport's old terminal have also been killed.

Security personnel have sealed off the airport and army commandos have been called in, with gunfire continuing.

All operations at the terminal have been suspended and all flights to the airport are being diverted.

Staff are being evacuated.

At least 14 people have been wounded.

Billowing smoke

The dead terminal staff were said to be mostly security guards from the Airport Security Force (ASF) but also airline workers.

Dawn News said the gunmen had infiltrated from the Fokker Gate area. Some reports said they had cut through a barbed wire fence.

There is no indication yet who is carrying out the attack.

Smoke is billowing from the attacked terminal.

'Plane on fire'

karachi-airport-terrorists-attack-asf-Ji

An ASF spokesman told Agence France-Presse that the gunmen had reached the runway and that a "gun battle is continuing between terrorists and [armed] forces".

An AFP reporter saw used gun magazines littering the engineering section where the first exchange took place and said that the previously heavy gunfire was now more sporadic.

However, the reporter later heard two huge blasts at the airport.

Dawn reported that some attackers had managed to get inside a plane.

Hammad, a diplomat staying near the airport, told the BBC he had gone on to his rooftop and could see a plane on fire in the airport.

Sarmad Hussain, an official with Pakistan International Airlines, told AP: "I was working at my office when I heard big blasts - several blasts - and then there were heavy gunshots."

He said he and a colleague escaped by jumping from a window. His colleague broke a leg.

The terminal is not normally used for commercial flights but for cargo and special VIP operations.

Sindh's Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah is said to have arrived at the scene.

Pakistan has been fighting an Islamist insurgency for more than a decade, with the Pakistani Taliban the main militant group.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif recently told the BBC he was still hopeful his peace initiative with the Taliban could succeed.

But little headway has been made since February and there have been frequent violent clashes.

Karachi has been a target for many insurgent attacks.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-27757264

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

Goddamnit, is June the one month the spree killers come out of the holes they hibernate in?

• D- Ice and Testarossa like this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

Goddamnit, is June the one month the spree killers come out of the holes they hibernate in?

This isn't a simple spree killing. This has all the hallmarks of a carefully planned terrorist attack, the methods, the choice of target and the location fit.

As the most economically and politically significant city, Karachi is a hotbed of political violence, criminal activity and insurgency in an increasingly destabilised Pakistan. This attack could have been perpetrated by the Taliban, by other extremists, by local gangs or even by would be assassins as supposedly there was a politician from the MQM party at the Airport at the time.

It's a terrible tragedy but a poignant reminder that Pakistan is embroiled in it's own, far more costly war on terror amongst a host of other ethnic, religious, political and social conflicts.
  • D- Ice and Detective Phelps like this

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

The f*ck is going on with the world?

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:35 AM

Another Islamic terrorist attack. This is not new.

Islamic fundamentalism.

• Failure likes this

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

This is hardly 'news' over there...

Special Members
  • Special Members

Everyday I wake up to find myself in bed

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

Islamic fundamentalism.

Are you supposed to be some sort of a parody of an Israelian nationalist, or what?

• The-King, D- Ice, Mpower and 8 others like this

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm going to evacuate to Mars before the human race implodes.

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:15 AM Edited by elanman, 09 June 2014 - 07:46 AM.

My thoughts are with the victims.

Horrible tragedy in a region sullied by internal strife.
  • Palikari likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Islamic fundamentalism.
It's got largely f*ck-all due to Islamic extremism and much more to do with the failure of the Afghan and Pakistani government to work effectively with members of the tribal society. Most of the "Taliban" are simply local warlords who don't approve of the administration in Kabul and Islamabad. That's particularly true of Pakistan where there's no centralised command and the various disparate tribal subgroups just kind of do their own thing.

Seriously, don't talk about things you clearly have absolutely no understanding of.
  • Daz, Moonshield, D- Ice and 5 others like this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Man this Sucks, I hope nobody died.

Let's just hope those whom are wounded survive.

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:28 AM Edited by Palikari, 09 June 2014 - 10:44 AM.

Islamic fundamentalism.
Are you supposed to be some sort of a parody of an Israelian nationalist, or what?
I am not a parody of anything.

Islamic fundamentalism is to blame for most of world's terror. Moderate Muslims are the ones who suffer the most the fundamentalism of other Muslims.

Before you say it, I will tell you that I'm not against Muslims. I even have Muslim friends.

Man this Sucks, I hope nobody died.

Let's just hope those whom are wounded survive.

There have been 28 deaths, 10 of them were terrorists. (Source: CNN)
  • Failure likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Awwh man, This just f*cking sucks..

Damn terrorists..

• Palikari likes this

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:41 AM Edited by Palikari, 09 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

It's got largely f*ck-all due to Islamic extremism and much more to do with the failure of the Afghan and Pakistani government to work effectively with members of the tribal society. Most of the "Taliban" are simply local warlords who don't approve of the administration in Kabul and Islamabad. That's particularly true of Pakistan where there's no centralised command and the various disparate tribal subgroups just kind of do their own thing.

This terror attack had nothing to do with a tribal dispute, it was a retaliation for the death of former Taliban chief Hakimullah Meshud, killed by a US drone. The Pakistani Taliban (TTP) are against the government because it has an alliance with the West. They want a Sharia-based theocratic state.

Seriously, don't talk about things you clearly have absolutely no understanding of.

I know more than you think I do.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Islamic fundamentalism is to blame for most of world's terror. Moderate Muslims are the ones who suffer the most the fundamentalism of other Muslims.

I wouldn't really go as far as to say "most" is the responsibly of Islamic fundamentalism. Islamic extremism, yes, but you can be an extremist without being fundamentalist.

The actual impact of true fundamentalism, which is being felt predominantly in the Maghreb and North Africa, plus of course in Nigeria with Boko Haram. But much of the violence elsewhere- Iraq and most of the wider Middle East- is sectarian extremism as a result of the conflict between Sunni and Shia branches, and a significant quantity of violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan had almost nothing to do with religion and more to do with a striated society largely ruled by self-serving tribes and warlords.

This terror attack had nothing to do with a tribal dispute, it was a retaliation for the death of former Taliban chief Hakimullah Meshud, killed by a US drone. The Pakistani Taliban (TTP) are against the government because it has an alliance with the West. They want a Sharia-based theocratic state.

I wasn't talking specifically about this attack but the make-up of the Pakistani Taliban in general; that should have been fairly clear from the context of my response. This attack is merely a very public announcement that the summer fighting season is beginning. It's pretty much an annual occurrence for something like this to happen.

The point I was making was that, contrary to popular belief, the Taliban in both Pakistan and Afghanistan are not a homogenous and united entity. They don't even have a uniting religious or cultural identity save for a general distrust of the central government. The religious identity that most laymen believe lies at the core of their motivation is far from prevalent amongst most of the fighting groups who are largely tribal alliances and small bands led by warlords who fight with the Taliban largely as allies of convenience or necessity.

David Kilcullen performed an extremely detailed analysis of the make-up of fighters in Afghanistan in The Accidental Guerilla. Portraying them as a homogenous fundamentalist movement united around a single founding principle is the main mistake ISAF made in their attempts to combat then in Afghanistan.

As I said before, try and be careful with the terminology you use.
  • D- Ice and Palikari like this

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:02 PM Edited by D- Ice, 09 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

I wouldn't really go as far as to say "most" is the responsibly of Islamic fundamentalism. Islamic extremism, yes, but you can be an extremist without being fundamentalist.

The actual impact of true fundamentalism, which is being felt predominantly in the Maghreb and North Africa, plus of course in Nigeria with Boko Haram. But much of the violence elsewhere- Iraq and most of the wider Middle East- is sectarian extremism as a result of the conflict between Sunni and Shia branches, and a significant quantity of violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan had almost nothing to do with religion and more to do with a striated society largely ruled by self-serving tribes and warlords.

I think you are spot on with your entire post - though I'm not too sure on North African politics, you know a lot more on that than me.

Regarding Iraq, and now even Syria and the sectarianism in the wider Arab world, you're completely correct. What I remember in Iraq is that it never started as Sunnis and Shia factions killing each other due to largely obscure, irrelevant and downright arbitrary beliefs of who should have succeeded Prophet Muhammed 1400 years ago. It started with the return of exiled Shia factions from Iran and various other countries, and their spreading of an association between Saddam and Iraq's Sunni population. There was a brief period when everyone was united in happiness at Saddam's departure, but then it started getting ugly when people started blaming one another. Sunnis became oppressed, and soon underground, international and generally shady militant movements conveniently arrived on the scene, painting temselves as defenders of the Sunnis.

Syria has a similar story, except with Syria's case, it started with the various underground and exiled factions returning to prominence and spreading an association between Assad and the minority Alewite and Shia sects.

The initially incredibly ignorant associations between Saddam and Sunnis, and Assad and Alewites become self-fulfilling prophecies as people become polarised due to the resulting violence.

Interestingly, much of the trouble in Western Iraq is due to very similar reasons as with North Pakistan and the Pashtun Tribes. The largely Arab Bedouin Sunnis population of Western Iraq dislike the unrepresentative and oppressive policies of the central Iraqi Government, who stations ethnically, culturally and religiously different soldiers from loyalist areas of Southern Iraq in the otherwise very conservative region. Add to that abuses of the local populace by the security forces and the Arab Spring, and the trouble started.

• sivispacem likes this

phunkism
  • phunkism

Heaven

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Terrorists in Karachi stole nuclear weapons

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Terrorists in Karachi stole nuclear weapons

Where on earth did you get that utter nonsense from?
  • D- Ice, universetwisters and Detective Phelps like this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

There is no way to stop this. They are not willing to put their guns down and accept democracy. They are not going to stop until Islam is spread through the world making it the only religion to human kind.

• Palikari likes this

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

There is no way to stop this. They are not willing to put their guns down and accept democracy. They are not going to stop until Islam is spread through the world making it the only religion to human kind.

Fearmonger much?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Fearmonger much?

Quite. In apparent total ignorance of all the actual discourse on the subject so far.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Fearmonger much?

Fearmonger much?

Quite. In apparent total ignorance of all the actual discourse on the subject so far.

I am talking about radical islamists... 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

You're still not correct though. Not all radicals are necessarily violent; we've had over 1000 years of Islamic history and yet violent Islamism has only really reared it's head in the last couple of decades. Additionally there are plenty of ways of "stopping" it. Counter-radicalisation works very well in reality.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

Another attack today.

Fresh militant attack near Karachi airport

Security forces at Pakistan's busiest airport in the city of Karachi have come under attack, a day after militants stormed one of its terminals.

Officials say gunmen on motorbikes shot at a security training camp just outside the airport and fled.

Subsequent firing which lasted for up to an hour was shots fired by the army and police at the scene, officials say.

Flights at the airport are resuming. The Pakistani Taliban say they carried out both attacks.

The gun and bomb attack on the airport's cargo terminal on Sunday left at least 38 dead, including the attackers.

_75416380_karachi_airport_624map_v3.jpg

Reports say the attack began after militants pulled up a vehicle and began firing. Officials said the gunfire was directed towards their camp, but no gunmen penetrated the airport security perimeter.

The heavy weapons and sustained gunfire seems to have been the concerted army response so close to the scene of the airport attack.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said the attackers should be "pursued and eliminated".

The military has sealed off the area and are conducting intensive search operations in the area.

The airport had re-opened after the deadly attack on the cargo terminal on Sunday night
Several flights were turned back - one shortly before it was due to land - as they were en route to Karachi, local media reports say.

The death toll from Sunday night's airport raid rose sharply overnight after nine more bodies were discovered, seven of them in a cold storage facility.

This latest violence comes against the backdrop of a major split in the Pakistani Taliban, and threats of retaliation following military operations against Pakistan's tribal north-west.

It has brought the government of Mr Sharif under renewed pressure to order tough action against the Taliban, correspondents say.

Early on Tuesday the Pakistani military carried out air strikes in tribal areas in the north-west Khyber region, killing at least 15 militants, officials say.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-27777449

I don't know what can be expected from a country with so retrograde laws as Pakistan. Remember the child who was jailed for supposedly destroying a Quran, without even proofs?

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Afghanistan and Pakistan were wiped off the map.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:35 PM Edited by D- Ice, 10 June 2014 - 03:28 PM.

Another attack today.

Fresh militant attack near Karachi airport

Security forces at Pakistan's busiest airport in the city of Karachi have come under attack, a day after militants stormed one of its terminals.

Officials say gunmen on motorbikes shot at a security training camp just outside the airport and fled.

Subsequent firing which lasted for up to an hour was shots fired by the army and police at the scene, officials say.

Flights at the airport are resuming. The Pakistani Taliban say they carried out both attacks.

The gun and bomb attack on the airport's cargo terminal on Sunday left at least 38 dead, including the attackers.

_75416380_karachi_airport_624map_v3.jpg

Reports say the attack began after militants pulled up a vehicle and began firing. Officials said the gunfire was directed towards their camp, but no gunmen penetrated the airport security perimeter.

The heavy weapons and sustained gunfire seems to have been the concerted army response so close to the scene of the airport attack.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said the attackers should be "pursued and eliminated".

The military has sealed off the area and are conducting intensive search operations in the area.

The airport had re-opened after the deadly attack on the cargo terminal on Sunday night
Several flights were turned back - one shortly before it was due to land - as they were en route to Karachi, local media reports say.

The death toll from Sunday night's airport raid rose sharply overnight after nine more bodies were discovered, seven of them in a cold storage facility.

This latest violence comes against the backdrop of a major split in the Pakistani Taliban, and threats of retaliation following military operations against Pakistan's tribal north-west.

It has brought the government of Mr Sharif under renewed pressure to order tough action against the Taliban, correspondents say.

Early on Tuesday the Pakistani military carried out air strikes in tribal areas in the north-west Khyber region, killing at least 15 militants, officials say.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-27777449

I don't know what can be expected from a country with so retrograde laws as Pakistan. Remember the child who was jailed for supposedly destroying a Quran, without even proofs?

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Afghanistan and Pakistan were wiped off the map.

I think many such archaic laws are popular with the culturally and religiously conservative people of Pakistan. I'd imagine the jailing of a child, and similar cases, are largely show-trials - a way for the government there to dispell claims by Islamists that it is a Western puppet and tool of Westernisation etc...

But this is all besides the point here. These Taliban attacks are part of an on-going fight between the central Pakistan Government and Tribal Warlords in the northern, largely ethnic Pashtun, regions. It has nothing to do with Islam and Qurans - both sides are similar forms of Islam - it's about Tribal Warlords trying to gain power and avenge Pakistani Military and Airforce raids in their regions.

And wiping Afghanistan and Pakistan off the map? You aren't really serious about the destruction of two countries and the genocide of hundreds of millions of people, are you?

• Detective Phelps likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Nobody has spoken here about genocide. I don't want to derail the thread anyway.

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

russian.jpg

But really though, that's a tragedy. Islamic fundamentalism people call it? Wow.. This world is really due for some judgement. The whole thing. Everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users