Photo

The GTA World

13 replies to this topic
Mr. Tibbs
  • Mr. Tibbs

Liberal Hater

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:36 PM Edited by Mr. Tibbs, 08 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

So if every map in the GTA games is an island (or multiple islands) surrounded by water, does that mean that the USA in Grand Theft Auto is a giant archipelago? In GTA IV, it was 3 islands surrounded by water. Same with GTA V, but this time it was one big map. So are the cities really like that, and the states are really just a bunch of islands? Or is it that Rockstar just doesn't want to add in a weird impassible area like in Red Dead?

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Lol, I've wondered this myself. I guess it is just a bunch of islands.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

I remember thinking while playing GTA 4 that the rest of America exists, like further outlying suburbs of Liberty City/Alderney. But seeing as how GTA 5's map turned out, I've given up hope on that theory in future games.

• theGTAking101 likes this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

The holier than thou killer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

I know in an interview about IV, Rockstar stated that they didn't want to include visible, but unreachable land in their games (apart from III) because they want all of the map to be explorable. I'm sure that all of the cities and all are just on the coast of America. I'm curious to see how they'd do an inland GTA.

• Spadge007 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

I know in an interview about IV, Rockstar stated that they didn't want to include visible, but unreachable land in their games (apart from III) because they want all of the map to be explorable. I'm sure that all of the cities and all are just on the coast of America. I'm curious to see how they'd do an inland GTA.

I've been thinking about that for a game I've been working on. Imagine you're driving out of the map's borders and a cutscene shows you getting pulled over and beaten to death, or if you walk across the border, you get mauled by a mountain lion.

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

• Members
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I've been thinking about that for a game I've been working on. Imagine you're driving out of the map's borders and a cutscene shows you getting pulled over and beaten to death, or if you walk across the border, you get mauled by a mountain lion.

For my concept game which takes place in Indianapolis, I've been thinking the same thing. I had an ideas where you would get an automatic 6 star wanted level, but the player could easily kill off the cops. Maybe they'd make there be an endless (more or less) flat surface that just goes on and on. Or the player could black out or something. I could see them doing something like you said about getting pulled over and I was thinking about something like that random event in V where you get randomly tazed by a guy and wake up on the train tracks. Something like that, but you'd wake up at a hospital and they'd tell you that you got knocked out or something.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Either that or make it random. Some situations I could imagine are:

*A speeding semi truck going in the opposite direction looses control and plows into you
*A jetliner falls from the sky and crashes into you

*The protagonist complains of chest pains and keels over and dies while driving

*The protagonist complains of rectal pains and explodes, coating the interior of the vehicle in a nice shade of "butthole brown"
*The protagonist complains about voices in his head and offs himself.

You're only limited by your imagination

• theGTAking101 and matajuegos01 like this

Mr. Tibbs
  • Mr. Tibbs

Liberal Hater

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I remember this one old motocross game, where if you were to jump over the giant hill and go beyond the map, the game would fling you out, and back into the map XD

• universetwisters likes this

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

I agree, I think it's just a technical compromise.

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

• Members
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Either that or make it random. Some situations I could imagine are:

*A speeding semi truck going in the opposite direction looses control and plows into you
*A jetliner falls from the sky and crashes into you

*The protagonist complains of chest pains and keels over and dies while driving

*The protagonist complains of rectal pains and explodes, coating the interior of the vehicle in a nice shade of "butthole brown"
*The protagonist complains about voices in his head and offs himself.

You're only limited by your imagination

-Your car could break down and a band of crazy hillbillies could take you away

-Turns out your car was rigged with explosives, so BOOM

-A crazy, methed-up redneck pulls you out of your car, smashes your head with a bottle and proceeds to stomp on it

-The protagonist decides to get high and he flies back to the city on a psychedelic flower

• universetwisters and matajuegos01 like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm curious to see how they'd do an inland GTA.

They would probably just do it the way they did RDR, which I have no problem with if they were to do so.

evd
  • evd

Born in coffin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

I hope R* plan is to give players free hand in case of traveling between those islands. I imagine to take on a plane and real-trip to liberty city or vice city, by flying over the ocean for couple of minutes while encjoying the view of clouds, sun etc. Or by taking expensive yacht which would be full of interactions just like in appartment.

Bluewave984
  • Bluewave984

Finest

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

I think we have all wondered this. One thing I've always wondered id what happened to the 3D era LC. I mean I know its a different era but I wonder what happened to Portland, Stauton Island, and Shoreside Vale.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

I think we have all wondered this. One thing I've always wondered id what happened to the 3D era LC. I mean I know its a different era but I wonder what happened to Portland, Stauton Island, and Shoreside Vale.

The GTA 3-era games exist as GTA games within the GTA universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users