Next Xbox and PS5 rumoured to be in development

91 replies to this topic
chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

The next Xbox and the PlayStation 5 may be already in the making, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Office of AMD Devinder Kumar seemed to suggest on Tuesday at a Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Technology Conference, without providing any specific details.

When asked about his views on the game console market and sales, Kumar revealed that the company’s clients may already be thinking of next-gen products, hinting that the next-generation Xbox or PlayStation 5 could be release much sooner than people expect.

“The life cycle of the products are probably going to be shorter,” Kumar said. “Our customers are already thinking about what comes next. These are long life cycle products and as you know in the semi-custom space, you start with — three years before you introduce a product, a decision is made to use a particular company. In this case it was AMD. And then you go ahead and co-develop the product with the funding dollars frankly, mostly coming from our customers. And then when you introduce the product, there is really no expenses from R&D standpoint, no sales and marketing dollars and whatever dollars you generate from a gross margin dollar standpoint, falls to the bottom-line and that’s what excites us.”

Full article here: https://games.yahoo....-165717172.html

What do you guys think about this? Rumor or Fact?

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

I'm not surprised by this news at all. Developers already know how to use this current gen tech and are maxing them out already. The games 5 years from now will look the same on both consoles. There's no hidden power to be unlocked like in the PS3 and Xbox 360. 

I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft realized this and are looking at new hardware already. I mean, the tech in the current gen is already 2 years old compared to PC and they haven't even been out for a year yet.

Just remember you heard it here first. The games will look and probably run the same. People love comparing PS4 to PC now.Just wait, they'll bring up the same old "graphics aren't everything" excuse 5 (or even 3) years from now when the graphics on both consoles haven't changed, but PC is leaps and bounds ahead.

Also, the title is a bit misleading because neither console have been announced. It should be something like "next xbox and PS5 rumored to be coming soon" or something like that.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 05 June 2014 - 06:56 PM.

Probably, I don't think this gen is going to last as long as last gen tbh. There's no learning the hardware, no complicated architecture, nor weird custom parts. I just hope for next gen they stay with x86-64 for BC. Still way too early for discussing this though. :p

Ninja'd :(

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:59 PM Edited by chrisscorsese88, 05 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

After posting the thread I realized I messed up the title.

But I agree that they can only go so far before graphics can't get any better than real life/virtual reality.

Edit: Requested a topic title change.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:27 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 05 June 2014 - 07:42 PM.

They better use high end GPU's and decent CPU's this time. We need some proper next gen hardware, though I'm happy with what we have right now. Sony were fools for underclocking the CPU on the PS4 before it came out, and Microsoft being a bigger fool for using a sh*tter GPU and CPU. I think these consoles will last for another 7-8 years until enough games are out and people are tired of this generation. But they'll still have to support it for a while even after the PS5/XB2 comes out.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Next gen just came out. There no reason to start making next gen already. Maybe in 2 years they can start developing it. 

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:33 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 05 June 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Are you sure you want high end parts? Are you going to complain when it happens and the consoles cost $600 or more? :p

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

They better use high end GPU's and decent CPU's this time. We need some proper next gen hardware, though I'm happy with what we have right now. Sony were fools for underclocking the CPU on the PS4 before it came out, and Microsoft being a bigger fool for using a sh*tter GPU and CPU.

The thing with that is if they use higher end products the cost goes up.

They'll be selling them at a loss, and Sony will be looking at another PS3. $600 at launch and actually losing money because of it.

Edit: Ninja'd :c

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

The Xbox should be better. I mean, with the One, they went with an entertainment/media console. They should go back to gaming with the next one.

Also, DX12 should help.

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

holy crap, everyone is getting ninja'd.

• tali vas Normandy likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

holy crap, everyone is getting ninja'd.

Hahaha xD Just me and DarthShinobi thinking alike =P

Also because I'm too lazy to edit my other post: 

http://www.pcworld.c...06/article.html (2006)

http://www.play-mag....ps3s-at-a-loss/ (2010)

See the problem with having higher end hardware in consoles? 

It's not the 90s or early 00s anymore. Consoles just can't keep up with the rapid growth of PC hardware.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

They better use high end GPU's and decent CPU's this time. We need some proper next gen hardware, though I'm happy with what we have right now. Sony were fools for underclocking the CPU on the PS4 before it came out, and Microsoft being a bigger fool for using a sh*tter GPU and CPU.

They'll be selling them at a loss, and Sony will be looking at another PS3. $600 at launch and actually losing money because of it.

Gotcha back, ya bastard! :p
  • RyanBurnsRed likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:49 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 05 June 2014 - 07:50 PM.

I wonder how much those new consoles would cost? With high end pc stuff coming out all the time, it just scares me.

http://www.pcworld.c...phics-card.html

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:50 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 05 June 2014 - 07:53 PM.

I realise the PS3 sold at a loss, unfortunate of course. But I bet you another reason why it sold less was because there were barely any games to promote at the time of the launch, and the fact that it was as bad as the Xbox One as it was too much of an entertainment/media console. It's meant to be a gaming console, not a TV box or a product that doesn't even fulfill it's purpose. This was fixed later on.

But yeah, of course the PC market is growing and higher end products keep coming out. The high end products are expensive and it would be a disadvantage to Sony and Microsoft. But don't overlook the growing of newer and more powerful PC's as a positive thing because they are expensive as f*ck, do you think a lot of people would even spend their money on that?

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 05 June 2014 - 07:55 PM.

I wonder how much those new consoles would cost? With high end pc stuff coming out all the time, it just scares me.

http://www.pcworld.c...phics-card.html

http://allthingsd.co...s-381-to-build/

http://venturebeat.c...n-the-long-run/

So I think about $200 more than these ones costs [to make]. 

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

The Cell processor is what really f*cked Sony. I think to keep costs down we'll be seeing off the shelf parts from now on,

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

I reckon these consoles will last for 8 years easily though, because the amount of games being planned/developed are increasing in terms of exclusives as well as multiplatforms which will still keep these consoles well and truly alive, Games are really the core of the consoles, they sell the systems, especially exclusives, and the quantity/quality of them. It's already been rumoured the PS4 will get backwards compatibility for PS1/2 games, and this will be important because a lot of people want to revisit the old/classic games, for nostalgia or for a refreshing experience on the new consoles, and they will be updates in terms of visuals too. These companies are smart and will figure out different ways to promote the consoles so I doubt there's anything to worry about.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Also, I think everyone is taking "developed" as "Being worked on/created/tested".

I guarantee they're just coming up with ideas, and that's the extent of it.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by Killerdude8, 05 June 2014 - 08:56 PM.

I realise the PS3 sold at a loss, unfortunate of course. But I bet you another reason why it sold less was because there were barely any games to promote at the time of the launch, and the fact that it was as bad as the Xbox One as it was too much of an entertainment/media console. It's meant to be a gaming console, not a TV box or a product that doesn't even fulfill it's purpose. This was fixed later on.

But yeah, of course the PC market is growing and higher end products keep coming out. The high end products are expensive and it would be a disadvantage to Sony and Microsoft. But don't overlook the growing of newer and more powerful PC's as a positive thing because they are expensive as f*ck, do you think a lot of people would even spend their money on that?

estpidas_y_seductoras_ofertas_de_steam-9

The amount of Money I saved on Games is unbelievably retarded.

Walk in with 10$, come out with 30 new games.

500$-1000$ at first seems like a lot, But it pays for itself the longer you have it. Any new game on Console is 60$-70$ On steam New games rarely break 30$.

Its like buying a Really expensive Car, But it's INSANELY good on gas, As opposed to buying a stupid Cheap car that Eats gas like a fat kid with Chocolate.

Oh dear, Try not to get mad, I may have poked a Sleeping bear with "PC masterrace bullsh*t"

• RyanBurnsRed, Th3MaN1, TheMasterfocker and 1 other like this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Steam sales are ridiculously good.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

Which is why PC is immensely successful digitially. Not sure about physical copies though. Digitally, consoles would be the last thing you would choose. It's 5-10$ more expensive than the physical copy which alone is disastrous.

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

I honestly thought the PS3/Xbox One was going to be the last consoles to come out, so if these rumors are true I really don't see what could be improved on. As everyone has said, any hardware more high-end gets puts in these consoles and they'll easily cost more than $600. With PCs, you can manually upgrade your graphics card, etc. without having to buy a whole new PC, while these consoles aren't meant to be taken apart and the parts upgraded individually. Not saying it's impossible, but it's usually against the company's warranty.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

500$-1000$ at first seems like a lot, But it pays for itself the longer you have it. Any new game on Console is 60$-70$ On steam New games rarely break 30$.

Its like buying a Really expensive Car, But it's INSANELY good on gas, As opposed to buying a stupid Cheap car that Eats gas like a fat kid with Chocolate.

Oh dear, Try not to get mad, I may have poked a Sleeping bear with "PC masterrace bullsh*t"

Yea but did you count on the fact you don't own those games? If you're not online you can't play them. 

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 05 June 2014 - 11:08 PM.

Yea but did you count on the fact you don't own those games? If you're not online you can't play them. 

Not true at all.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Doesn't Steam have an offline mode?
  • Killerdude8 likes this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Doesn't Steam have an offline mode?

It does indeed. As does Uplay. Not sure about Origin, but I'm gonna guess that it does.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Doubtful. There's no telling what kind of tech will be available in 7-8 years. No telling what the market will be like either. They wouldn't focus their attention to that when new consoles are less than a year old.

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Doubt it's in development but I'm sure there are already talks about it between them and developers.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

You don't own any game you buy. Retail or digital, it doesn't matter. 

The only thing you own is the license to play it.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

You don't own any game you buy. Retail or digital, it doesn't matter. 

The only thing you own is the license to play it.

You own the disc. You own the case. You license the data in the disc. So you're wrong. 

That's why I feel digital should be cheaper. What do you honestly own? NOTHING

• nobum62 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users