Quantcast

» «
Photo

Owning properties, who did it better? GTA or Saints Row?

30 replies to this topic
Xeloj
  • Xeloj

Anti-Griefer

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:06 PM Edited by Xeloj, 05 June 2014 - 05:07 PM.

I've played GTA V and Saints Row 3/4 and I have to say I think Saints Row did it a lot better.

Property ownership in GTA V seems like some afterthought they threw in there so they could be like Saints Row. In Saints Row you could actually own stores and properties that had a real effect on the game. I used to buy all the Friendly Fire stores. Not only did I get extra income, but I got discounts on ammo too.

I bought the Movie Theatre, Golf Course, and Cannibis Shop in GTA V, and I feel like I've really gotten nothing for all the money I spent. Just the bragging rights to say I own a Movie theater or weed shop. Wish I could buy Ammu-nation or LSC.

• fac316 likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

By the time you're buying properties in Saints Row, the savings that owning properties give you are dwarfed by the amount of money you've got coming in anyway.  In both games, you're not going to have a problem buying weapons and clothes after the first act.

• fac316 likes this

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Without being too Sims-like, I would have loved for a way to expand the businesses in V. For example, Franklin upgrading the taxi service to include livery (limos and sh*t) to being able to at least get a nicer tow-truck. The movie theaters are a complete waste and without an enterable interior, what's the point of Smoke On the Water and Tequi-la-la? Property missions are (sometimes) fun but don't occur enough.

As for Saints Row, being able to 'upgrade' your strongholds did give a better sense of satisfaction. 

• fac316 likes this

Xeloj
  • Xeloj

Anti-Griefer

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:01 PM Edited by Xeloj, 05 June 2014 - 06:02 PM.

By the time you're buying properties in Saints Row, the savings that owning properties give you are dwarfed by the amount of money you've got coming in anyway.  In both games, you're not going to have a problem buying weapons and clothes after the first act.

Are you sure you played Saints Row 3/4? There are properties that only cost $1000. So you can buy them after the 1st mission if desired.

I was still buying properties half way through the game even when I had a $10,000 hourly income. The reason being all the weapons upgrades, car upgrades, crew upgrades, damage upgrades, etc really added up. For instance Life Regen 3 was what, like $50,000? Missions were paying only $10,000 by that point, so the only way I could get those upgrades were through property money.

With GTA V, I never felt like property money ever mattered or made an impact, ever, beginning of the game or end.

• fac316, Donut, matajuegos01 and 2 others like this

Beanee
  • Beanee

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Without being too Sims-like, I would have loved for a way to expand the businesses in V. For example, Franklin upgrading the taxi service to include livery (limos and sh*t) to being able to at least get a nicer tow-truck. The movie theaters are a complete waste and without an enterable interior, what's the point of Smoke On the Water and Tequi-la-la? Property missions are (sometimes) fun but don't occur enough.

As for Saints Row, being able to 'upgrade' your strongholds did give a better sense of satisfaction. 

I too would've loved to see this. Upgrading businesses would've given a better level of my immersion for me; minus the few properties that actually do something, I think they focused more on the markets and shares rather than this; I would've loved to own Vanilla Unicorn and upgraded it to be a real shag pad!

As for which did it better I'm not sure since I've not played any SR game since the first. Sounds like it did better than GTA though

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:52 PM Edited by fac316, 05 June 2014 - 06:53 PM.

It really sux that Tequi-la-la was enterable in a strangers and freaks mission then nvr again....... Trevor should've ran a bounty hunting biz, would've been alot better then just the 4 missions we gt.

Stevilknievel
  • Stevilknievel

Outlaw

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:58 PM Edited by Stevilknievel, 07 June 2014 - 03:35 AM.

GTA definitely did it better, when you are starting off it actually makes you feel like an investment, that after a while it will come good, and the phone calls you got every now and again did add to the immersion (although it did make you feel more like an employee than an owner)

Saints row property management is the one that that feels tacked on, for reasons stated above, it doesn't really make much difference when you're earning bucket loads of cash anyway.

• voyager likes this

A.O.D.88
  • A.O.D.88

Viking Warrior

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

I want to say GTA 5, but not being able to even ENTER the businesses that I own is total idiotic fail on RStar's part. I am the OWNER of fine establishments like Hookies, Pitchers, and Tequila-la-la but I can't even go into them...unbelievable.

I don't even want go into the whole Residential property fail. Let's hope PC/Next Gen or DLC takes care of this.

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

I want to say GTA 5, but not being able to even ENTER the businesses that I own is total idiotic fail on RStar's part. I am the OWNER of fine establishments like Hookies, Pitchers, and Tequila-la-la but I can't even go into them...unbelievable.

I don't even want go into the whole Residential property fail. Let's hope PC/Next Gen or DLC takes care of this.

I find it really dumb that you can't have a drink at YOUR OWN BAR!! What makes it worse is that some of these businesses are sold for more than it's really worth such as the golf course and Tivoli Cinema; it's almost impossible to make a profit on those

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:31 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 06 June 2014 - 07:36 AM.

I've played GTA V and Saints Row 3/4 and I have to say I think Saints Row did it a lot better.

Property ownership in GTA V seems like some afterthought they threw in there so they could be like Saints Row. In Saints Row you could actually own stores and properties that had a real effect on the game. I used to buy all the Friendly Fire stores. Not only did I get extra income, but I got discounts on ammo too.

I bought the Movie Theatre, Golf Course, and Cannibis Shop in GTA V, and I feel like I've really gotten nothing for all the money I spent. Just the bragging rights to say I own a Movie theater or weed shop. Wish I could buy Ammu-nation or LSC.

Well, you do get the property missions to do, for what they're worth. 

I find it really dumb that you can't have a drink at YOUR OWN BAR!! What makes it worse is that some of these businesses are sold for more than it's really worth such as the golf course and Tivoli Cinema; it's almost impossible to make a profit on those

I find it quite realistic that after investing 150,000,000 you don't get an instant profit. You do get 250,000 a week from it though, guaranteed. You would need 601 payments to make a profit. Which to be honest, seems like a pretty good return. 

It's called playing the long game. Instant gratification only happens in business very rarely.

And if you played the Lester missions after the story and did everything right, you shouldn't have any cause for concern in terms of investing that much money. 

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:37 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 06 June 2014 - 07:38 AM.

GTA... Vice City and Vice City Stories. Or The Godfather II.

Properties in V were obviously an afterthought, created after reactions to the first info, but at least they unlocked some side-missions. SR's properties were just money-sponges. I think there was only so much R* could even do with properties in V and they went through with it. It wasn't a game focused on becoming the dominant criminal force in the city, like VC or VCS. It would have made sense only for Trevor to build some sort of criminal empire. But maybe they should have diversified protags more. Michael should have been the one to purchase legitimate businesses, Trevor should have been able to put together organized crime rings and Franklin should have been able to set up his own heists. But that's for another discussion.

Anyway, in future, a mix of VC's, VCS's and The Godfather II's properties would be the best. There should be a few "big name" properties with dedicated characters and mission strings (just like in VC), but also a lot of generic businesses, both legitimate and criminal, you could purchase/take over that would unlock side-missions.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

The only property I felt like I truly owned was Mackenzie Airfield and the impound to a lesser extent. Everything else like others have said felt like an afterthought.

IMO it was rushed into the game and I think it shows. Not only is it ridiculous we can't enter the places we own, but most of them are overpriced and take too long to return a steady profit. Normally I don't mind a sense of belief (I prefer saying to realism), but in this case taking as long to return a profit like a real life business f*cking sucks.

I liked in the Saints Row games aswell VC and SA getting income daily. It takes far too long in GTA V and at the end when you're a multimillionaire you're not going to give a sh*t about getting chump change every in game week.

For something that many fans wanted after such a long absence from the series it was poorly done.
  • Donut likes this

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

Wish I could buy Ammu-nation or LSC.

You can buy an LSC and it gives you free car mods for it.

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

This ain't noise mate, this is f*ckin' Showtek

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

GTA V did it better. When you get the weekly income, you'll never worry about the monetary limit, which is set somewhere around $2.1 billion but in Saints Row 3, you'll have to spend some money because the monetary limit is $20 million & when collecting hourly income when at $20 million, it'll stay at $20 million, which is disappointing. Is property ownership the same Saints Row 4?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

It's kind of sh*t how it's just one though all the way out in the god damn desert.

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

---

• Members
  • France

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Both V and SR miss the point with properties, such a feature could be fantastically exploited. We should be able to really influence the property bought; have real conversation with the owner (like in VC); and unlock true rewards/new mini games (for exemple : I buy a theater, it unlock new movies. I buy a restaurant, it unlock a mini game where I can prepare some food for customer ... Did somebody say worse than yoga ? etc ...).

In GTA V, except a few properties (the airstrip in Grapeseed, Sonar Collection) which bring something, these are totally useless (who want to spend 150k in order to be able to play golf with your own clothes ?).

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

The Godfather 2......you could actually enter the businesses you took over,crazy right.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

The only property I felt like I truly owned was Mackenzie Airfield and the impound to a lesser extent. Everything else like others have said felt like an afterthought.

Well, yeah, they quite obviously added them in after it was announced that there would be no property management and everyone sh*t their pants. 

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

We should be able to really influence the property bought; have real conversation with the owner (like in VC)

This.
Just improve on the game GTA VC, and ensure much better ways to play with the property missions, earn money, and add several features that makes it a significantly better in the gameplay.
Either someone at Rockstar hasn't played GTA VC or went horribly wrong in his/her decisions regarding the properties, and the related missions.
It was poorly implemented than what was already offered in GTA VC.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Or they just decided that it really wasn't that important in their vision for V. 

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

It's kind of sh*t how it's just one though all the way out in the god damn desert.

Right? What kind of punishment is that R*? I always say f*ck it and just pay full price at the LSC in the city. 

On the VC note: I loved stealing cars off of the list for Sunshine Autos and then having them appear in the showroom. Made me feel like I was really expanding my business (GTA-style). If there's one way R* could have extended the playability of the city after the main story, it should have been through properties. Doing [more] property missions would have at least helped the long wait for the DLC. 

• Pastry likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

It was an afterthought in GTA V. That's a fact. They said there were no properties, and then people complained and R* eventually folded. When you play GTA V, it's obvious how underdeveloped they are. 

• Donut likes this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

In my opinion, Saints Row won in the 'property owner' subject. You could buy properties, and you could interact with them (buying from your own store with a discount), unlike GTA V, in which you could buy that property, but only do missions that give you some little extra money, apart of the money you already have from the income.

• Donut likes this

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:52 PM Edited by Tony., 06 June 2014 - 09:53 PM.

I agree with everyone who says property ownership was an afterthought, because it was. Everyone bitched when Rockstar said that players will have no properties to own in the game, but they might as well have not had any properties, it wouldn't much much difference. It really sucks that we can't even enter any of them, but they never planned on letting you buy properties to begin with, so they never bothered to do interiors, and the fact that they still didn't bother to do them after they decided to implement the feature (even though Tequ-La-La has an interior in one mission) just goes to show how tacked-on it is. I would have expected something like that out of Saints Row 3 or 4, but the fact that it's Rockstar being this lazy is disappointing.

• Official General likes this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Or they just decided that it really wasn't that important in their vision for V. 

Because a game that's centered around making money and living the high roller life isn't compatible with entering or enjoying your purchased properties, right?

Xeloj
  • Xeloj

Anti-Griefer

• Members

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Dude, 601 payments to get your investment back? Yeah in REAL LIFE, that's an excellent, almost ridiculous, return especially per week, but in a game? lol, that's an eternity to wait. No one is going to play the game that damn long by the time they have $150,000,000 to actually buy the golf course, which is the end game for most.

To be honest, I bought the Cannibis shop back in November, and I think I've maybe gotten 6 payments from it since.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

It's better than having no property ownership at all, but it feels really tacked on for the most part. Saints Row did get it better, I have to admit.

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

Fuzz: Yeah, no business will give you instant gratification unless it's some sort of pyramid scheme. But I still think that the golf course should've given us a bigger weekly profit, I believe it takes about 50 years in game time to make a profit? I don't find that too realistic, other businesses like Smoke On The Water and 10 Cent Theatre seem more realistic.

teakuppgta
  • teakuppgta

CPF Leader

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:39 AM Edited by teakuppgta, 07 June 2014 - 04:39 AM.

Since Saint Row's properties weren't rushed like GTAs were, Saints Row definitely won by a landslide. Although, I do like in GTA how you could do little mini-missions for the businesses.

Xeloj
  • Xeloj

Anti-Griefer

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Yes the mini-missions were okay when you actually got them. I still think GTA V is the better game than SR3/4, but SR definitely did a lot of things better than GTA V.

Let's not even get on the flying vehicles comparison...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users