Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do some of you think Gta Online is free?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
510 replies to this topic
sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

Goodfella

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Is gta online free? Many say its a bonus given to us for free as an add-on and is separate from Gta V.

But from what I understand you can only play online with the disc in the console, which I bought obviously.

If my friend Johnny who doesn't have a copy could download gta online from the psn/xbox store and play then I would agree.

Am I wrong?

• Outplug, thekillerdonuts and 40poundr like this

xskinzcity
  • xskinzcity

Lord of War

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Online is always a bonus for any game
  • lol232, theNGclan, Black Rabbit and 5 others like this

sebcreed
  • sebcreed

VANS Society VP

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

You are right, it is not, however, pay as you go. You don't need real cash to have all the goodies.

• We Are Ninja likes this

SirFiras47
  • SirFiras47

Sarcastic

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Does it even matter? Really ? Or you wanna know so you can either about how you wasted your money on the game or not ?

• Spade115, Willstig998 and Myoyoy like this

CheaterMcCheat
  • CheaterMcCheat

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

When I bought GTA V there was no online until it was added later on at no extra charge.
  • Lc gta, lol232, darkwar854 and 13 others like this

TheBhoys2011
  • TheBhoys2011

Deathmatch + Capture Creator AKA UniqueAsh

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

hang on a minute nothing is for free i still got to pay my electric

• meatrocket8, vipprimo, Nathan46970 and 1 other like this

LambentBunny
  • LambentBunny

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Single player was worth £40 anyway online was just a huge bonus to me. 

• We Are Ninja, SKaREO, UchihaRingo and 3 others like this

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

It's called marketing..

• Outplug, Upggrade, No-scope=NO_HOPE!! and 1 other like this

Cjs3315
  • Cjs3315

Kill 'em With Kindness

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

It isn't free, it's free-to-play.
  • radshad likes this

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Yup, many, many people don't play anything online...you'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't even have online accounts

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

Goodfella

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Does it even matter? Really ? Or you wanna know so you can either about how you wasted your money on the game or not ?

I like the sp but I bought it for the online too, then quite a few people here went on to say It came free with the game. I was like...what?

• Outplug likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

GTA V is the only thing you need to enjoy GTA Online for free. Just because you need to buy the original game doesn't mean you're paying for the online portion, that was given to you out of generousity and obviously because Rockstar are awesome.

• nkaujrog likes this

Liquid7
  • Liquid7

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

No it isn't. You have to purchase GTAV to have access to GTAO.

• The Angel King likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

You lack reading comprehension. You literally repeated what he just said.

• nruhdal, Odesza, The Real SpitKing and 4 others like this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:34 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 05 June 2014 - 01:36 PM.

lol, that's just marketing BS

free2play refers to any game with no initial purchase price

as in you can start playing without ever paying a dime

usually there's microtransactions or advertising to generate revenue

bastards at R* thought they'd be clever by selling a full priced game and bullsh*tting people into some silly f2p scheme at the same time

and it seems like plenty of people are buying into it.

• Outplug, SchwartzJesuz, who-dat and 2 others like this

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

Goodfella

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

GTA V is the only thing you need to enjoy GTA Online for free. Just because you need to buy the original game doesn't mean you're paying for the online portion, that was given to you out of generousity and obviously because Rockstar are awesome.

Realistically though you knew the online had to be there. That's how they compete in the market.

• Outplug likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

No, it literally means that the game is free to play and does not have hidden subscription fees. It does not require you to pay to play it, you just need to own the original game. That's still a free-to-play online portion.

SirFiras47
  • SirFiras47

Sarcastic

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I like the sp but I bought it for the online too, then quite a few people here went on to say It came free with the game. I was like...what?

Did you play GTA:O on September the 17th ? ( if you bought the game as it got released ) No.

You got the online free later on so the people who said it came free with the game are right, we didn't pay any additional cost for the online, we just paid for GTA 5

• darkwar854 likes this

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

It's called marketing..

This. It's as free as the multiplayer portion of any other game. Just because Rockstar called it free doesn't make any difference. EA could say that the guns in Battlefield are free and it wouldn't change the situation at all.

• Racer__X likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I guess what makes this hard to understand is that running on online game of this breadth is phenomenally expensive and work-intensive, and Rockstar are only asking us to support them if we want to. It's a free-to-play online game and one of the best of it's kind. Anyone who can't underrstand this is new to online gaming and video gaming in general.

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Out of generosity? Really?

• Outplug and who-dat like this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:45 PM Edited by SKaREO, 05 June 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Was there some hidden requirement that said they had to deliver an online portion? No. They already had your money and they could have decided it was too expensive to implement. You realize Rockstar also need to respond to their parent company, right? It's actaully amazing that T2 didn't force them to charge a monthly fee.

BigStu4q
  • BigStu4q

Los Demonios MC

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

If we wanted to be pendantic we'd say it wasn't free since we all pay for an xbox gold account and the electricity to run it.

But it's not like we have to pay a monthly subscription directly to R* in order access gtao

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:47 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 05 June 2014 - 01:50 PM.

No, it literally means that the game is free to play and does not have hidden subscription fees. It does not require you to pay to play it, you just need to own the original game. That's still a free-to-play online portion.

no that's what you think it means because you don't understand the term and just infer the meaning from each part of the word.
do you also think a hedge fund is a financial institute for gardeners or what?

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Free-to-play

Free-to-play (F2P) refers to video games which give players access to a significant portion of their content without paying. There are several kinds of free-to-play games, but the most common is based on the freemium software model. For freemium games, users are granted access to a fully functional game, but must pay microtransactions to access additional content. Free-to-play can be contrasted with pay-to-play, in which payment is required before using a service for the first time.

I dno what term we should coin for R*'s particular scheme since it is pretty novel
but it doesn't really fit any of the existing free2play models
maybe we should just call it the "KESH KURDS" model or perhaps the "please-hack-our-game-we-deserve-it-for-being-greedy-bastards" model
though that second one might be a bit long

sweetbrother
  • sweetbrother

Goodfella

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:48 PM Edited by sweetbrother, 05 June 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Did you play GTA:O on September the 17th ? ( if you bought the game as it got released ) No.

You got the online free later on so the people who said it came free with the game are right, we didn't pay any additional cost for the online, we just paid for GTA 5

But the thing is it wouldn't matter if I had to wait to play online if it was released in January. I put the money down and made an investment to have access to online when I bought the game.

There is no other way, no loop hole, to play this game without paying for something.

• Outplug and sebcreed like this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Quoting wikipedia isn't helping your case. You're pretty much making the statement: "I am new to online gaming but wikipedia says..."

For an example, Quake was free-to-play online. You could play it today even. But Quake, the singleplayer game, was still a game you had to pay for. And this was back in 1996, so you better do some more research on this.

Mr Fyn666
  • Mr Fyn666

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

***shakes head*****

Forum desperately needs a new update, posts are drying up.....

Another 1 of these, sigh......... 

Online has not cost me a penny, or a cent or indeed any camels. The best £40 quid I have spent on a title and I am still getting game time every day for not 1 extra shilling.....

All good here..............

• Dementious likes this

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:52 PM Edited by CenMan, 05 June 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Was there some hidden requirement that said they had to deliver an online portion? No. They already had your money and they could have decided it was too expensive to implement. You realize Rockstar also need to respond to their parent company, right? It's actaully amazing that T2 didn't force them to charge a monthly fee.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think they announced the online portion of the game before it was released, so yes, pretty much. You don't honestly believe Rockstar added GTA online just because they're such nice guys, right?

Would you say the mulitplayer portions of all games are free?

• Outplug likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:52 PM Edited by SKaREO, 05 June 2014 - 01:53 PM.

This is truly a trolling topic, no one is this stupid. Regardless, I will bite and lay down some knowledge for today's n00bs.

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

See below:

Q.F.T.

Yup, many, many people don't play anything online...you'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't even have online accounts

Many many people don't even play SP. Almost my entire friend list only plays online. It is a safe bet that more people play online than single player by a huge margin. 

• Outplug and paulmgrath like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users