Quantcast

» «
Photo

Things that Lost and Damned helped contribute to the franchise ...

53 replies to this topic
Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

• Mid mission checkpoints for all story missions. Carried over in each subsequent open world Rockstar game.
  • The ability to use shotguns during drive bys on a motorcycle. Carried over in V.
  • Introduced protagonist specific attributes: Klebitz's better handling of motorcycles than Bellic or Lopez. Carried over with full 'special abilities' in V.
  • Breaking the taboo over Male Nudity in gaming. Carried over in V.
  • Simplifying the friend hangout feature by immediately unlocking all friendship rewards. Carried over in Ballad of Gay Tony.
  • Allowing multiple friends to hangout at the same time. Carried over since Ballad of Gay Tony.
  • Finally introducing the grenade launcher into the series, previously stuck in Beta format in the 3D series. Carried over and improved upon since Ballad of Gay Tony.
  • First game to introduce fully automatic shotguns and handguns. Carried over in V.
  • Johnny Klebitz became the first Grand Theft Auto protagonist to never been asked to pilot an aerial vehicle in a game that does feature air transportations. Franklin Clinton became the second.
  • Johnny Klebitz became the first and thus far only Grand Theft Auto protagonist to never be assigned to drive a boat or forced to swim. Thus proving the lack of necessity in swimming department in a Grand Theft Auto experience.
  • Introduced 'Experience Bars' for gang members. Carried over with heist crews in V.
  • First game in the HD universe to have a classic on-rail vehicle shooting segment. Carried over since Ballad of Gay Tony.
  • Bike riding formation unlocks dialogues unless you don't stick close enough to the group. Foreshadowing Red Dead Redemption's traveling sequences.
  • Made Strangers side missions immediately noticeable on the mini-map instead of requiring the player to be near the area. Carried over in each subsequent open world Rockstar game
  • Potentially the last open world Rockstar game to offer multiple distinct methods in handling story missions.
  • First game in the franchise that made us realize no matter how good or bad the ending is for our protagonist, it can always somehow get worst in a sequel.
  • ddyoung, HoleInTheSky, buzzbass and 11 others like this

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Not to mention the small blips on the radar for friendly and non-mission-critical enemy characters, as also seen in both TBoGT and V.
  • buzzbass, thekillerdonuts and theGTAking101 like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

Luis Fernando Lopez is The Best HD GTA Character Ever Created

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:47 PM Edited by fefenc, 31 May 2014 - 07:48 PM.

Spoiler

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:14 PM Edited by Im2akillerfish, 31 May 2014 - 10:18 PM.

The addition of personal vehicles. Carries over to GTA V, and appears in a different form in Red Dead Redemption.
  • thekillerdonuts likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:41 PM Edited by Grievous, 31 May 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Not to mention the small blips on the radar for friendly and non-mission-critical enemy characters, as also seen in both TBoGT and V.

I'm sorry but I feel very silly at the moment for not understanding at all as to what this is alluding to.
Are we talking about friendly npc allies or random strangers, or?

Spoiler

Technically not something that helps 'contribute' the franchise.
Then again I did alluded to that fact in number sixteen.

But hey, if folks want to compile a list of trivias for Lost and Damned while we're at it, I'm all for it!

The addition of personal vehicles. Carries over to GTA V, and appears in a different form in Red Dead Redemption.

This is outrageous.
I mean, one of the reasons I originally wanted to create this topic Is because of the Hexer being a protagonist specific vehicle and I Wanted to congratulate/remind people about where the idea originally came from, which is from this game.

Then somehow I forgot about it when writing the list.

The shame!
  • gunziness, thekillerdonuts, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

Luis Fernando Lopez is The Best HD GTA Character Ever Created

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm sorry but I feel very silly at the moment for not understanding at all as to what this is alluding to.
Are we talking about friendly npc allies or random strangers, or?

[Spoiler]Johnny Klebitz became the first main character that officially dies on GTA HD storyline

Technically not something that helps 'contribute' the franchise.
Then again I did alluded to that fact in number sixteen.

But hey, if folks want to compile a list of trivias for Lost and Damned while we're at it, I'm all for it!

This is outrageous.
I mean, one of the reasons I originally wanted to create this topic Is because of the Hexer being a protagonist specific vehicle and I Wanted to congratulate/remind people about where the idea originally came from, which is from this game.

Then somehow I forgot about it when writing the list.

The shame!

Damn, I love GTA TBoGT Buffalo, but franklin owns another type of this car :(

Shiest Bubble
  • Shiest Bubble

Waveraham Lincoln

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:56 AM Edited by Shiest Bubble, 01 June 2014 - 04:00 AM.

TLAD is the first GTA game that provided the protagonist with a handlebar mustache, carried into V with Trevor having a handlebar mustache in the first mission by default.

• matajuegos01 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

• Mid mission checkpoints for all story missions. Carried over in each subsequent open world Rockstar game.

I never noticed this. I know TBOGT had them but I couldn't tell if TLAD had them or not.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

The Ballad of Gay Tony only managed to make checkpoints useless for those seeking to reach 100% gold medal achievements.

Not that I cared.

Otherwise yes, even before its release the previews were citing the mid mission checkpoints as one of the 'highlights' of Lost and Damned if you can believe it.
They also talked a lot about the riding in convoy formation, but then it turns out it was just a minor feature.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

A Vulnerable Guy Who Needs to be Held by Big Strong Arms

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Is TLaD the only GTA game where you're officially part of a gang? I mean, was CJ ever an official part of the Grove Street set?

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

My names Lewis (gamertag is inside joke) and I'm that white

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Lost & Damned was the best game in the GTA IV Era.

• Drunken Cowboy, GTA_Sharpshooter, Shadowlarvitar and 2 others like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:38 PM Edited by toxluv, 01 June 2014 - 08:47 PM.

Johnny Klebitz is the first protagonist in the GTA series to have default tattoos, the other two being Luis Fernando Lopez and Trevor Phillips.

• gunziness, HoleInTheSky, Mega and 3 others like this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:42 PM Edited by Grievous, 01 June 2014 - 08:43 PM.

Is TLaD the only GTA game where you're officially part of a gang? I mean, was CJ ever an official part of the Grove Street set?

Carl Johnson seemed to have been officially indicted by Sweet at the beginning of "Green Sabre" ...
Needless to say it was the worst timing ever.

Otherwise Tommy Vercetti and Victor Vance started their own gang, both starting with the letter "V" ironically.

And Toni Cipriani was always a valuable member of the Leone gang in Salvatore's eyes ... except that Salvatore didn't wanted Anyone else to know about it, thus keeping Toni as his joker card.
That is until Toni became a made man at the beginning of the second act, after killing the Mayor.

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Carl Johnson seemed to have been officially indicted by Sweet at the beginning of "Green Sabre" ...

Otherwise Tommy Vercetti and Victor Vance started their own gang, both starting with the letter "V" ironically.

And Toni Cipriani was always a valuable member of the Leone gang in Salvatore's eyes ... except that Salvatore didn't wanted Anyone else to know about it, thus keeping Toni as his joker card.
That is until Toni became a made man at the beginning of the second act, after killing the Mayor.

Tony Cipriani goes from looking 32 in Liberty City Stories (1998) to looking 47-50 years old in GTA III (2001). Guess it was all that stress?

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ma Cipriani's cooking sure wore him down!

But in all seriousness yes, I think with all the various outrageous shootouts Toni's been in Liberty City Stories and all the countless attempts on his life, sitting by a calm restaurant and do nothing but eat is the best outcome he could have hoped for.

If only Johnny Klebitz were so lucky, finding a nice restaurant to sit in and do nothing but eat and drink, instead of smoking meths and whatnot.

Shiest Bubble
  • Shiest Bubble

Waveraham Lincoln

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

CJ was always a member but he kind of officially got put back on pretty early in the game after Sweet tells him to go to Binco and get some gang colors because he's back on the set. Franklin is also a officially in CGF under Forum Gangsters subset but he's not really active past the first few missions. TLAD is the only GTA game where the protag never has absence from being fully active in the gang; CJ abandoned GSF half-way through the story and was very reluctant to return towards the end and Franklin went AWOL from CGF very early on.

In other words, TLAD is the only game where the protag was really with the sh*t.

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

CJ was always a member but he kind of officially got put back on pretty early in the game after Sweet tells him to go to Binco and get some gang colors because he's back on the set. Franklin is also a officially in CGF under Forum Gangsters subset but he's not really active past the first few missions. TLAD is the only GTA game where the protag never has absence from being fully active in the gang; CJ abandoned GSF half-way through the story and was very reluctant to return towards the end and Franklin went AWOL from CGF very early on.

In other words, TLAD is the only game where the protag was really with the sh*t.

You were in the mafia in LCS and VC.

Dunno if you'd count them as a gang as they are segmented into different types of organized crime, but I'm pretty sure Cipriani was the Leone Crime Family and Vercetti was with the Forelli Family with his own crew in Vice City till they betrayed him.

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

IIRC Huang became the leader/a full member of the triads at the end of CWs story. 

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

*SPOILER*

Johnny was the first protagonist to be killed by another protagonist.
I wonder if they'll kill anyone notable in GTA VI?

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

*SPOILER*

Johnny was the first protagonist to be killed by another protagonist.
I wonder if they'll kill anyone notable in GTA VI?

Franklin :p

• Shadowlarvitar, matajuegos01, Vice City criminal and 1 other like this

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

The Eigth Sage

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

It was the first game where we worked for a congressman, I believe.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

GTA3 - Donald Love
GTA VC - Avery Carrington.

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

The Eigth Sage

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

GTA3 - Donald Love

Weren't they just businessmen?

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

GTA3 - Donald Love

Weren't they just businessmen?

Not really sure... but as they had lots of influence in the city I'd say they might be congressmen.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Donald Love as it's stated in the game is the owner of Love Media, a guy who you may call media mogul, and Avery was real estate developer. None of them was congressman. 

First GTA in which you could get car or weapon delivery by calling the right person. 

astonmustang
  • astonmustang

Player Hater

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

First GTA in which you could get car or weapon delivery by calling the right person. 

Actually, you can call Little Jacob in GTA IV to deliver weapons if the sympathy is high enough.

However it's the first time you could get weapon delivery without any special requirements.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:50 PM Edited by Tycek, 16 June 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Wrong.

Little Jacob could sell you weapons at a discount, which is Terry's job at TLaD. Jim can leave fully loaded weapon for you at the safehouse and his selection may not be very wide, but the option is there. 

Also I don't think if Jacob was delivering weapons out of sympathy, but who knows. ;)

Also TLaD added possibility to use baseball bat while riding bike (too bad it was available only in races, though).

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

TLAD was the first GTA Game in the HD Universe to include a Tow Truck.

TLAD was the first GTA Game to feature the Daemon, Hexer and many other bikes.

TLAD was the first GTA Game to include a Rhapsody, which might reappear in GTA5.

astonmustang
  • astonmustang

Player Hater

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ok, that's true Tycek. LJ is not really delivering, because you still have to pay.
What I meant with sympathy was the stat in the menu (it's called like that in the german version, didn't know it's called friendship stat in the english version).
The reason he brings you guns is because of One love, rasta!

Back on topic:

GTA TLaD is the first GTA which let's you play a mission from a different perspective. Carried over in The Ballad of Gay Tony and in a certain way also in GTA V.
GTA TLaD is the first 3-dimensional GTA where the protagonist is able to roam the entire map at the beginning of the game, without getting wanted stars. Carried over in all successor's.

Mega
  • Mega

''This is Head Radio, A Love Media Station.''

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:31 PM Edited by Mega., 17 June 2014 - 01:32 PM.

GTA TLaD is the first 3-dimensional GTA where the protagonist is able to roam the entire map at the beginning of the game, without getting wanted stars. Carried over in all successor's.

I know this might not count, but you could do that in III, VC, LCS and VCS if you managed to get to another island. You wouldn't get any wanted stars at all.

Well, this is the most useless contribution but it was the second GTA (other one was only GTA III) that only had one outfit available (and in TLAD it'd have a texture change when you took over the chapter).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users