Why is my computer doing this?

17 replies to this topic
vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

OK so I got an old PC from my friend with a pretty decent (3.0Ghz) processor. I was going to scrap it out and put it in my current PC, an all-in-one HP Paviliion MS213. I couldn't figure out how to separate it the first day (by this point and just removed the stand, the HDD, and the RAM) I put it back together and it ran fine. The next day I gave it another shot and finally got it separated. I was able to pull the heatsink off the processor but it was stuck on. I compared the current processor to the one I was replacing it with and they didn't match so I said f*ck it and put it back on. To get to the processor, I had to use a pair of plyers to pull off two ends of the the things that keep it in place. Other than that, that's all I really did. When I tried to bend the metal back down, it snapped so I went on without it and put it back together. Now, instead of being held in on four sides, it's held in on two opposite corners. Anyway, once it was back together I put the hard drive, RAM, and disc drive back in and mounted the stand. When I turned it on, there was nothing on the screen. It just stayed black. I took it back apart and put the two other ends of heatsink clamps on (it was just held in by it's original screw, it wasn't attached to the rest of the metal. It looked attached, but you could see where it snapped) Now that my computer was all put back together again, I tried booting it up and of course, I had a worse problem: It wouldn't start. The computer's power light turned on for half a second and shut off. I read that that problem might be the PSU but I don't know I would of messed that up. Plus, my PC doesn't have a standard fat PSU box, but I know it has something. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I think it might be the processor not being tight enough in because when I tried to put the old processor back in, (the 3GHz in the old PC), the PSU light turned on but when I pressed the button , it didn't turn on.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

The problem sounds to me like you've broken the processor's mounting point or the processor itself by being ham-fisted and incompetent. There is no point during a computer assembly that anything should break or anything should require pliers to put together or take apart. In short, you've probably broken it completely.
  • Ryan, Killerdude8, Flūttershy and 2 others like this

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, but now I got it to the point that the computer will turn on but no signal goes to the monitor (it's an all in one)

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

What's your monitor plugged into? Motherboard or dedicated GPU?

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Just the motherboard.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Motherboard issues by the sounds of it. Could well be related to you breaking the processor mounting point as per my first response.

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

Well sh*t that sucks. Is there a certain way to pinpoint if the processor mounting point is broken?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

No. My advice would be to buy another cheap motherboard and test that.
Something has just occurred to me- does your new processor actually have an on-board GPU? Without one you wouldn't get any screen output when booting.

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:40 PM Edited by hawkstalker, 15 June 2014 - 05:15 PM.

I'm pretty sure the GPU is down from the processor, not mounted on it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Any reason you've not plugged your monitor into that?

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

There's no where to plug it into, it's integrated into the motherboard.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Do you not have a dedicated graphics card? If try that if you did, or by a cheap one because it sounds like the one on your motherboard might be playing up.

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

No, my computer doesn't have a dedicated GPU and I don't think it's possible because it doesn't have any PCI slots

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Then I reckon you're probably at an impasse.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:26 AM Edited by oysterbarron, 19 June 2014 - 01:36 PM.

From what I can make out it sounds like a definite cpu problem. I assume when putting the cpu back together with the cooler you reaplied the copper grease after cleaning the old original paste off between the cpu and cooler. If you have then another couple of issues could be 1 you may have got copper grease on the cpus underside that may stop the pc from booting if 2 contacts are now connected via the grease.

Or

You may have bent one of the contact pins on the motherboards cpu connector. You maybe able to rectify it but it could be irreparable damage.

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

Sounds like you busted part of the socket that clamps down on the CPU? If the socket itself is removable from the board you might be able to remove it (via the proper tools, not brute force) and replace it with one from a dead motherboard with the same socket. Obviously you don't seem to know the difference in socket types, so that's something you should start researching. Some pictures of what you did might help in us determining the problem. Safest best would probably be to replace the entire board, CPU, and heatsink since you could have destroyed all three. And if it's an all in one, it's likely laptop based, so you'll probably need a direct replacement board and heatsink, with a CPU of the same socket type that is supported by the board. You wont be able to just throw any motherboard into it.

There are guides here as well as hundreds of other places to building a PC. The same concepts and practices apply when disassembling, replacing, or upgrading PCs so perhaps you should look into learning them if you want to work on PCs yourself.

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Ain't No Mark Ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Sorry for the bump, but just want to say I fixed it. The problem was the CPU wasn't locked down and I couldn't do that without removing the heatsink so I cleaned it off and put more compound on. Thanks for the tips guys. 

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

That's good to hear. I was going to say that maybe you had some bent socket pins which would be a tedious, yet easy thing to fix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users