Thoughts On Suicide?

125 replies to this topic
Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Suicide is for the weak. No sympathy for anyone who takes the coward's way out.

This is so stupid - a coward's way out of what? (western) Civilisation now is at a point where we're not really required to live/survive. No sympathy for people whose lives have become such a constant struggle that they can bear no more?

And I have to say judging by your elitist statement, you've never been in a situation where suicide has seemed like a solution.

Maybe you can't live your life like you always dreamed, maybe you're being physically and mentally abused to a point where you feel like you can't do anything about it and it will never end, or maybe you hate no one person more than the man in the mirror.

What I'm trying to say that it's not okay to be condescending towards people who commit suicide, and calling them derogatory names

• DannyBee, Verdant, Sting4S and 4 others like this

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Leise rieselt der Schnee

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

It's against nature, but it doesn't make any difference if you commit suicide, get killed or die a natural death, because I believe there is no afterlife.

I'm just curious but what does against nature mean in this situation?
Do you think mother nature or god/s (if you're religious) create/s life to have it killing itself?
Yes!!

For example, look at the Salmon's lifecycle

I think it's more a natural death than suicide.

Sugar Free Nos
  • Sugar Free Nos

I'm new to PC gaming pls be gentle

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Best Scrub 2014

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

While I do believe it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, I recognize how easy it is for me to say that considering I've never been in that kind of situation. It's quite easy to say it's "for the weak" or "wrong" when you've never been so emotionally and physically distraught that ending it all is the only thing you think will stop the pain.

I don't, for a second think that it's ok to look down on those who have contemplated, attempted, or even committed suicide. If you do you've probably been decently content with your life for a very long time, if not you're whole life. Also, I'd like to add that if you have an opinion such as "it's for the weak", then you obviously don't recognize the very large issue that is depression and suicidal thoughts. You should be supporting and caring for those that have issues with depression, not calling them "weak" through the speaker of the latest smartphone while sitting on a leather couch with someone who loves you more than anything in the world.

Whether it is "right" or "wrong" or "for the weak" isn't really the issue. The issue should be how we can help others that struggle with depression, whether it be a friend, family member, co-worker, or fellow GTAF member. That's what we should be thinking about, not whether it's right or wrong.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.
  • Marwin Moody, dice, Verdant and 3 others like this

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

While I do believe it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, I recognize how easy it is for me to say that considering I've never been in that kind of situation. It's quite easy to say it's "for the weak" or "wrong" when you've never been so emotionally and physically distraught that ending it all is the only thing you think will stop the pain.

I don't, for a second think that it's ok to look down on those who have contemplated, attempted, or even committed suicide. If you do you've probably been decently content with your life for a very long time, if not you're whole life. Also, I'd like to add that if you have an opinion such as "it's for the weak", then you obviously don't recognize the very large issue that is depression and suicidal thoughts. You should be supporting and caring for those that have issues with depression, not calling them "weak" through the speaker of the latest smartphone while sitting on a leather couch with someone who loves you more than anything in the world.

Whether it is "right" or "wrong" or "for the weak" isn't really the issue. The issue should be how we can help others that struggle with depression, whether it be a friend, family member, co-worker, or fellow GTAF member. That's what we should be thinking about, not whether it's right or wrong.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Well if you think about it then it kinda is for the weak. Some fight to the end and weaker ones give up and kill themselves. It takes more strength to carry on when it all looks so hopeless than just giving up there and then. There are exceptions of course such as people escaping KGB. In those cases not killing yourself meant lots of torture and death anyway.

daboy042188
  • daboy042188

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

If it's because you have something like als or something horrible and incurable I think you should be able to buy a dumpster full of morphine and slip off into whatever comes next. But for depression or sh*t like that you shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to. Cause that sh*t can get better

PsychoGamer3
  • PsychoGamer3

The End Times Prophet

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Personally, I don't see why euthanasia is illegal. It's perfectly acceptable if you ask me.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

I have thought on this, and came to the conclusion that suicide is really difficult!!!

I mean take hanging: If you put the rope wrong around your neck, you will not die. You just pass out, and hang there untill somebody takes you down and gets you to the hospital.

-very embarrassing!!!

same with shooting yourself: 90% chance you do not die of it, even if you aim to your head.

I know a bloke who put a shotgun to his troat and pulled the trigger: result was that he blew his jaw off, but survived!!!

And as for poison and pills, your body throws them up automatically when you pass out, so again, you will probably not die.

FAlling: freak wind might divert you to a tree, or bushes, leaving you alive.

Drowning: somebody sees you and swims to your aid

So, it seems really difficult to kill yourself so that you really die for sure. In most cases you will wake up in a hospital, feeling really really embarrassed.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

@misbegotten - the think about hanging is that you're gonna want to break your neck as you fall off the ladder or chair or whatever. That's why they used to make guillotines so high.

You could always jump in front of a train, seeing as its impossible for a train to either swerve out of your way or stop, but I don't know about that. I know that in Japan, the railroad company fines the family of whoever jumped in front of their train because the train is delayed, people are late, they have to scrape your pulped mess off the locomotive, etc.

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thoughts on Suicide?

I'd like to recommend, the movie "Week End" by Jean-Luc Godard.

Keep it with you always, with THAT in mind.

But, seriously, you have this life, make it matter.
I think people who can't manage themselves in situations where they can actually get easily weak, depressed or simply emotionally over-sensitive easily fall in this category.
There are countless number of things you can choose over suicude, any time, no matter how worse life has become.
Just don't get confused by the difficulty and you'll easily make it through, still alive and kicking ass!!

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

If we're going to grain out the emotionally weak, then why not continue with the physically weak? Or the disabled, elderly and sick people? Hell lets get rid of everybody so only the perfect specimens survive!

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have thought on this, and came to the conclusion that suicide is really difficult!!!
-snip-

Hanging: Uh, no. If you do it correctly, your neck breaks and you die. If not, you slowly suffocate to death. If you don't break your neck someone has a very short amount of time to find you before you pass away.

Shooting: You can't just make up statistics then try to validate it with an anecdote. Unless you're the kind of person who throws a stone at the ground and misses, that gun will kill you almost all of the time.

Poison: Wouldn't that be nice if the body could immediately detect poison before it causes any damage? Again, most of the time it's too late - the body will try to throw it up, and unless you chose something harmless the damage is done anyway. You can overdose on aspirin, throw up, go to the hospital and have your stomach pumped, then instead you'll just die within a few days because you destroyed your liver, and likely other organs as well.

Falling: ...is this a joke?

Drowning: In the movies, maybe. In real life, someone can be drowning right next to you and you won't realise - if someone is deliberately trying to drown themselves, there's not gonna be a lifeguard around to be a hero, and a lot of bystanders won't try to help.

The point is that if someone is going to try and kill themselves, you can't just let them try because you think they'll fail.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

If we're going to grain out the emotionally weak, then why not continue with the physically weak? Or the disabled, elderly and sick people? Hell lets get rid of everybody so only the perfect specimens survive!

Fourth Reich?

• PsychoGamer3 likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

Suicide is for the weak. No sympathy for anyone who takes the coward's way out.

Choosing to end your own life as the solution to your problem is far from weak/cowardly.  It takes a great amount of courage to do it, but of course it's not really something to be praised.  It took me months to get my mind prepared for my attempt at suicide years ago and while I certainly am far from proud of it, I assure you finally mustering the strength to try it is far from cowardly.

Someone usually commits suicide when, like me, they choose to bottle up their problems, allowing for no help to reach them.  Then of course without any guidance they are going to be driven off the edge eventually since no one can help them due to them being secretive about their serious issues.  

• frankenstein107 likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Suicide is a complicated issue because it's a grand statement that people make when one specific aspect of their life is overpowering everything else. In the same way that it is useless to tell someone dying of cancer that they shouldn't kill themselves because "they have so much to live for" it is equally useless to try and convince someone suffering from psychiatric disorders that their life is worth preserving. The simple truth of it is that they look at life differently. Many of them have had years of mental anguish and their skewed perception of the world and constant suffering and introspection causes them to see suicide as something of a solution-- which it technically is. It's just not one anyone should endorse if it can be helped.

The issue with people who call suicidal people "weak" is that they simply don't have the perspective one needs to be in that state of mind. When you've spent every day of the last five years in pain and worry then ending your life sounds reasonable. Telling someone they're weak or saying that it gets better may be in some respect true to your own line of thinking, but it does not equate to or relate to their life unless you actively seek to help them. In other words, walk the walk. If someone is idealizing death and you are worried then ignore your first instinct to lash out in anger over their attempt to extinguish the gift of life. Ignore the urge to tell them they're an idiot for what they want to throw away. Try to comfort them and from there figure out where you can go.

People are strange. We manifest the urge to be moral by using fear and anger to scare people into listening. It's a ridiculous notion that only prolongs the suffering people will go through in the depth of their own issue, and for what? To feel better that we were the ones who warned them? Either way the universe moves on with or without us. If we're insecure enough to lash out at anyone who articulates their issues with the world then I fear for all human life, because we will never cure the sick until we realize that we're all f*cked in the head-- the only difference between people who kill themselves and people who don't is one missed phone call or one cold response to a friend saying "hey man, how's it going?"

• Marwin Moody, Melchior, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and 2 others like this

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

Am I ignorant or apathetic? Don't know and don't care.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

Cut across the vein for attention, length-wise for results.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:01 PM Edited by Dutch Psycho, 05 June 2014 - 07:07 PM.

You dont wanna kill yourself because if you do,you come into a black dark place where you will stay forever. There is a heaven but there is no hell but there is some kinda limbo where evil people are(murderers,rapists etc etc and people who have committed suicide.
this is true,if you dont't believe me you shoul try it. You will see;)

Commit suicide is for weak people and totally selfish. Stay strong dispite how hard and cruel life can be.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Since the 'spirit' life form (whatever you want to call it or not) doesn't die as the flesh does it will 'float' around until it finds a host, then be reborn. Whether or not there is a 'guidance' in to what that next life is ... (?) make something up. So the heaven or hell is this earth such as we know it. Look around.

Suicide is a fact. Society should view it as such and make effort to quietly, quickly and cleanly make it so.

It seems stupid and a waste of resources to make any effort to keep alive a person who desires to die.

The only real problem is, with the current situations, did the person actually suicide or was it murder for unrelated nefarious purposes?

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

I lost my cousin in 2008 when he was found by his girlfriend with a rope tied around his neck to a tree. I wasn't particularly close to him, but I dindt think any less of him.

It wasn't until months later I found out he spent a few months in jail and was raped. Combined with various problems surrounding drugs I could understand why he done what he done.

It still gets to me whenever I think about it as he was only a year older than me.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:18 AM Edited by GunWrath, 06 June 2014 - 09:19 AM.

You dont wanna kill yourself because if you do,you come into a black dark place where you will stay forever. There is a heaven but there is no hell but there is some kinda limbo where evil people are(murderers,rapists etc etc and people who have committed suicide.
this is true,if you dont't believe me you shoul try it. You will see;)

Commit suicide is for weak people and totally selfish. Stay strong dispite how hard and cruel life can be.

Oh, so you've been to this place?

Suicide isn't for weak people nor is it selfish, imho. It takes someone with a lot of balls to commit suicide. Some people deal with their issues by wanting to leave this world since their world in their eyes and emotions and realism is nothing but pain and depression. If they want to go, let them go. Who are you to judge who and what they are as a person? 

• RoadRunner71 and Biohazard Abyss like this

LeVelocar
  • LeVelocar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:37 AM Edited by LeVelocar, 06 June 2014 - 10:39 AM.

It's the worst thing you can ever do. G-d gave us the life, a precious gift, you can't throw it away!

God also gave us Hitler.

If you want to ascribe to god concern over life or death, take that into account.

• PsychoGamer3 likes this

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Suicide isn't for weak people nor is it selfish, imho. It takes someone with a lot of balls to commit suicide. Some people deal with their issues by wanting to leave this world since their world in their eyes and emotions and realism is nothing but pain and depression. If they want to go, let them go. Who are you to judge who and what they are as a person? 

Suicide is never the answer. This makes me think about little children in other countries that have it worse than we do. I mean, kids who wake up to no parents, no food, no home, no safety etc.. and yet I don't hear them talking about suicide. I do not mean to belittle anyone's problems here, but I just want to bring about the point that it's never the way out. I'm a devout Christian, and I believe that suicide is a straight ticket to hell. But my faith aside, I do believe that suicide is rather cheap. Instead of riding out the problems and letting life play out, suicide steals that chance for anything to happen. Even if nothing good ever happens, at least you're still kickin. Which reminds me, there are men serving life sentences in prison. I don't know any alarming statistic of them committing suicide. They just let their sentences ride out.

Coin
  • Coin

Game Over

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Assisted suicide should be a legal option regarding people with terminal illnesses.

Beyond that, it gets murky and the only answer I can provide is, "it depends".

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

I recently watched this documentary about autism (that documentary is popular topic at the moment in the Netherlands) about a 41-year old man who lives with his parents and is very attached to his mother and vice-versa and he has so much anxiety about her dieing that both him and his mother have agreed for him to commit suicide (preferably assisted) after she dies, because he wouldn't be able to live on without her.

Is the mental suffering for him enough for assisted suicide? I find it hard, I don't think he would be unable to live without his mother at all, he could take care of himself with the exception of certain anxiety problems he had and we all lose our parents someday.

Especially when you consider that during the documentary they've been looking for a place to live for him, where he would also live without his parents. I don't think he'll get assisted suicide and I'm not sure if he'll be able to do it himself.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Suicide is never the answer. This makes me think about little children in other countries that have it worse than we do. I mean, kids who wake up to no parents, no food, no home, no safety etc.. and yet I don't hear them talking about suicide. I do not mean to belittle anyone's problems here, but I just want to bring about the point that it's never the way out. I'm a devout Christian, and I believe that suicide is a straight ticket to hell. But my faith aside, I do believe that suicide is rather cheap. Instead of riding out the problems and letting life play out, suicide steals that chance for anything to happen. Even if nothing good ever happens, at least you're still kickin. Which reminds me, there are men serving life sentences in prison. I don't know any alarming statistic of them committing suicide. They just let their sentences ride out.

To those who commit suicide, that is their answer. Not everyone is the same, nor does everyone think like you do, let's start from there.

You may think suicide is wrong, a 'ticket to hell', that's what your religion taught you to believe. However, I'm not religious, many people who commit suicide aren't religious and some may even be religious but the point is, not everyone has that patience to wait for something good to happen, some don't even have hope any more. There are multitudes of reasons people take the suicide route.. but not everyone is going to stop, wait and hope for a better outcome.

As far you saying it's rather 'cheap' to kill yourself, that isn't very Christian of you. Perhaps you should go pray and ask for forgiveness for that statement. As far as the inmates serving life sentences, that doesn't even register on the same level of suicidal individuals. Not everyone who's been through grief, or had a bit of bad luck is going to kill themselves nor does suicide even register in the brains of most people. If I was given a life sentence, I wouldn't kill myself either because I'm not the suicidal type and rather be alive surrounded by concrete walls than dead. But you have to think, those inmates have the ability to still contact their loved ones, write to whomever they please.. people who commit suicide probably lost all hope, too depressed, hate their lives, been bullied, lost a loved one, was a member of a cult, who f*cking knows. But calling them cheap, weak or whatever is a f*cked up thing to say and in return makes YOU the cheap one. But you'd be suprised at the amount of suicides that take place in prison and jail. Some find the future of bars too much, some kill themselves due to sexual abuse, the list goes on.

Instead of talking about how it's cheap and ridiculous to kill yourself, how about work for a suicide hotline and help those in need since you think there's always a better route and they shouldn't do it. I'm not one to stop a suicide, I'm far from a counselor and all I can do is try to talk to them and let them get their feelings off their chest and trust me, I've lost acouple friends to suicide due to PTSD and other reasons.. all we can do is talk to them, we can't force them.

• Failure and na89340qv0n34b09q340 like this

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:24 PM Edited by Carmen!, 08 June 2014 - 05:24 PM.

Instead of talking about how it's cheap and ridiculous to kill yourself, how about work for a suicide hotline and help those in need since you think there's always a better route and they shouldn't do it. I'm not one to stop a suicide, I'm far from a counselor and all I can do is try to talk to them and let them get their feelings off their chest and trust me, I've lost acouple friends to suicide due to PTSD and other reasons.. all we can do is talk to them, we can't force them.

Good points. And I totally understand. And yeah, all we can do is talk to them and hope that they don't go ahead to do the unthinkable. But, I still feel as though it is bad to do so. Murdering oneself to stop the pain isn't strong. It just isn't.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Important thing to do before toppig yourself, is to get rid of all the embarrassing stuff!!!

Diaries, for example: do you want your relatives to read your diaries after you are gone???

-of course not! So destroy them before you jump off the roof!

Same with embarrassing items, such as sex toys and porn.

-I mean your relatives will be going through your stuff with a fine toothed comb, and you do not want your aunt Muriel to find your inflatable sex doll, now do you???

So, get rid of all embarrassing and incriminating stuff before you slit your wrists, will you.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Don't care much for Suicide, Your own choice to end your life prematurely, Just if you're going to do it, Make sure you do it in a way that makes it easier to deal with your body afterwards. Don't be a piece of sh*t and blow your brains out the in Living room, all over the furniture, Do it in the bathtub, And if you hang yourself, Do it from a Tree.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Jumping in a Sea woud be nice and poetic,if someone decide to go like that. Men should fight to the end,with hope that thing will change for the better. But I understand people who cant go further anymore,lot of things happen in someones life. I had problems,but survived through it. Still have some goals that keep me go further.ANd always want to see what happens next,in world and in lives of people around me.

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

Don't do it.

Next question.

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:27 PM Edited by RoyalRedXIII, 26 June 2014 - 10:28 PM.

Just to address what I keep seeing said, lemme be specific about somethin:

Suicide as an act is not weak; it takes a lot of nerve to commit if you have a fear of death.

It IS however a WEAK-MINDED approach to solving one's problems. Do not confuse the two.

Same as when l I hear people confuse "money being the root of all evil" with "THE LOVE OF MONEY being the root of all evil"

The first phrase is not true, but they may seem like the same thing to those who don't consider examining the two for differences.
  • Christian21J likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users