Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why don't supercars go as fast as advertised?

32 replies to this topic
DAM1GE
  • DAM1GE

Street Racer

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

The Turismo R is advertised with a top speed of 210mph (338kph) yet my fastest speed driven in it is only 148.8kph, less than half of what it should be :S. Is this a bug with the stats or just a mix up with the advertisements?

Feel free to post fastest car speeds and what they're advertised to do below :/

Slow Ryders
  • Slow Ryders

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

How would you know anyway?

lozzy1234567890
  • lozzy1234567890

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:02 PM Edited by lozzy1234567890, 25 May 2014 - 08:03 PM.

Old news, sorry. I believe from what I've seen around here before is because the PS3 hardware can't handle 2-16 cars going their full speeds and rendering everything for everyone at the same time. Hence the 150mph cap, which even at that speed still can cause texture issues. There are ways to exceed that cap though, gate launch glitches etc, but generally no car will go faster than around 150mph. Maybe if/when GTA online comes to PS4/Xbox one we'll be able to have a higher cap, but until then thats as fast as we're gonna go legitimately.  

• Ballistic Jello likes this

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*cker’s always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Speed is more limited online for performance reasons.

• NoSignal_, DJ Kornphlake and LambentBunny like this

ZeroSafe5615
  • ZeroSafe5615

When's Darkstalkers?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Console limitations. If you go above a certain speed online by way of glitching the rendering of the game world bugs out.

• DJ Kornphlake likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

heh, it bugs out going top speed in a slow car!  

• SightsIn likes this

DAM1GE
  • DAM1GE

Street Racer

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies. Even with the console limitations, i don't i could handle my car going twice the speed to be honest. Thanks for the answer though :)

novesori
  • novesori

Car Enthusiast

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:12 PM Edited by novesori, 25 May 2014 - 08:13 PM.

The whole difference is not the PS3, it's the Harddrive. Change it to SDD, and you never would have render issues again. And I can change my solo characters within one second, with a HDD it took around 10 seconds. Everything is loaded and rendered even at full speed. It gives you advantage over players with HDD, because you can avoid stones, trees, lampposts at high speed which other players can't see because of the speed.

The 60€ for 64GB were worth it (should be cheaper now). I use the PS3 only for GTA Online.

GTA-Freak-iX
  • GTA-Freak-iX

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

As said above, they're limited for performance reasons. use SP if you wanna get the fastest speed of any vehicle. Try using an Adder with Franklin while using his ability

MistGoose
  • MistGoose

Consigliere

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

Old news, sorry. I believe from what I've seen around here before is because the PS3 hardware can't handle 2-16 cars going their full speeds and rendering everything for everyone at the same time. Hence the 150mph cap, which even at that speed still can cause texture issues. There are ways to exceed that cap though, gate launch glitches etc, but generally no car will go faster than around 150mph. Maybe if/when GTA online comes to PS4/Xbox one we'll be able to have a higher cap, but until then thats as fast as we're gonna go legitimately.  

There's also some "non cheaty" ways though. 
I've 152.07 as my highest, it's not a lot more than the cap, but it proves it's possible without glitches also.

• EarthboundMysfit likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

The whole difference is not the PS3, it's the Harddrive. Change it to SDD, and you never would have render issues again. And I can change my solo characters within one second, with a HDD it took around 10 seconds. Everything is loaded and rendered even at full speed. It gives you advantage over players with HDD, because you can avoid stones, trees, lampposts at high speed which other players can't see because of the speed.

The 60€ for 64GB were worth it (should be cheaper now). I use the PS3 only for GTA Online.

i was kinda curious about that but i think the blueray disc and processor speed is more of the problem myself.  It might help slightly if you downloaded the game but certainly wouldnt be worth the cost, but im not gonna buy it again just to test that theory, haha!  Im only buying it again for PC or ps4 maybe.  Or perhaps if its confirmed that this would actually help significantly, which i doubt

NoSignal_
  • NoSignal_

Can you hear me?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I have gone 252 with an adder in singleplayer, on online my fastest is only I think 170 so I think they made the top speed for online lower 

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hardware.

Plus kids would crash all the time, cos even in races like Route 68 it would take lifting or braking to make the corners.
  • SKaREO likes this

moostered
  • moostered

Racer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

I don't think it's a big deal.Going over 150mph can make cars very hard to control.Besides there's enough crashes online anyway even though the speeds nerfed.

lozzy1234567890
  • lozzy1234567890

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

I've 152.07 as my highest, it's not a lot more than the cap, but it proves it's possible without glitches also.

Last time I checked, 152 is around 150 ;) To get that speed though, you either slipstreamed, or got rammed from behind from a slipstreaming player in a race (if that couts in the top speed stats) or by a cop.

Heffe707
  • Heffe707

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I went 183 in a Zion Cabrio, but I think i found that car up by Franklins house and used it to gate launch with a friend.

Ayylien
  • Ayylien

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

People say it's because if rendering, I think it's more to do with balance. The Adder is the fastest car in Single Player, if cars had there Single Player speed, a lot of vehicles wouldn't be able to compete.

When I fly a Lazor, I don't have issues with the loading, so I wouldn't necessarily say for a fact it's to do with rendering.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:48 PM Edited by sultangris, 25 May 2014 - 09:48 PM.

it doesnt render in as great of detail in a plane, fly low and see what happens and honestly planes really arent much faster than cars anyway.  it will take you a while to gain on a supercar if you have a straight flat road if you fly low.  they just seem way faster up higher there is nothing to render and things are smaller.

EarthboundMysfit
  • EarthboundMysfit

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, try slipstream on, catchup off in a race(dipping in, downhill section for example)...

I'm not sure if it's still my fastest online speed, but i have a legit 174.9 MPH in a 9F using the above legal tactic.

Off-topic: Never hacked/cheated/glitched, although I'm sure i have been reported for driving too fast a few time, so many times I'm sure R* knows me by name, and is sick of checking my garage for NOS cars, to no avail...

Sorry so many slow little wanna-be squeakers join my race lobbies, and then get so butt-hurt after getting smoked by me.... Not my fault.
  • KingRyujin-- likes this

GTAmazing
  • GTAmazing

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

People say it's because if rendering, I think it's more to do with balance. The Adder is the fastest car in Single Player, if cars had there Single Player speed, a lot of vehicles wouldn't be able to compete.
When I fly a Lazor, I don't have issues with the loading, so I wouldn't necessarily say for a fact it's to do with rendering.

Yeah, I believe its a combination of both. If cars went their actual speed it would make the race pointless, as other slower cars would have no chance of competing. It also has something to do with console limitations.

I think cars can actually go faster than 150mph in a race. With catchup enabled and slipstream, you definitely go faster. One particular time I was playing a three lap race. I was coming first, when suddenly a car came flying on the radar and went straight past me. I have never seen a car go that fast before. Then I realised the player was coming last, and catchup was enabled.

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Ok, thanks for the replies. Even with the console limitations, i don't i could handle my car going twice the speed to be honest. Thanks for the answer though :)

Play some NFS: MW. I had a break from GTA V and just played Most Wanted for about a month. When I came back to GTA V, it feels like you're driving a mobility scooter when going top speed in a super. It helped me with weaving through traffic at top speed but it took a few days to stop trying to drift around corners.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Lambda LPN DTT

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

The speeds are scaled down because of map size and game performance

the game has trouble loading things as it is.

though i wouldnt mind blazing down the highway going 200+ in a supercar like i do in PC SA. motion blare to the point where you cant see a thing

• SightsIn and Affalterbach like this

INF3RN040
  • INF3RN040

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:16 PM Edited by INF3RN040, 25 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

PS3 only has an SATA I port. that's limiting the speed boost of the SSD drasticly.  SSD on ps3=zero advantage on gameplay its only 5-10% faster on loading screens.

grand theft spaghetti
  • grand theft spaghetti

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

ive said this many times. the top speed in this game is slower than the speed of a factory family car.

for a million dollars, I expect the adder to out perform my old chevy cavalier.

MistGoose
  • MistGoose

Consigliere

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by MistGoose, 25 May 2014 - 10:38 PM.

Last time I checked, 152 is around 150 ;) To get that speed though, you either slipstreamed, or got rammed from behind from a slipstreaming player in a race (if that couts in the top speed stats) or by a cop.

It is, yes. You however said there was a cap AT 150, and the only way to go beyond that was glitching/cheating.

I did it with the Bati, wheelied my way in a straight line. In a solo session, with no wanted level.

autobot_hotwire
  • autobot_hotwire

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

Try this race five times in the same car without using a boost start. Then, average your times and plug them into this formula.  (1.5/ _your time_)*3600 and you get the actual average speed of your vehicle in mph. 

This race, is five miles of fairly straight track.  You can do the same thing here and you should get your vehicles actual top speed.  Just adjust the formula to (5/_your time converted into seconds)*3600=_speed in mph_.

mmm chocolate
  • mmm chocolate

.... BLAINE COUNTY .... xbox one

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

How would you know anyway?

Theres a stat in game for whats the fastest speed youve gone. Plus which car you were in.

Deadly Aviator
  • Deadly Aviator

Keep On Truckin'

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:59 PM Edited by Deadly Aviator, 26 May 2014 - 12:00 AM.

Cynicism inbound:

Because Rockstar are very good Liars, just like they way they showed vehicles and items in GTAO in the trailer, without any guarantee they would be in the actual game; they think can get away with lying about the limitations of the vehicle handling stats because there is no speedometer.

Hellhog
  • Hellhog

Hades Psychos

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

According to my stats, I went a decimal amount over 162 mph in an Entity long ago and have yet to beat it since. I agree with everyone with console limitations though. I never had too many issues long ago, but now as more updates have been applied, I get sections of freezing constantly with texture pop in, objects loading, or even objects disappearing. It is highly frustrating and makes the game hard to play at times.

Sunnycyde
  • Sunnycyde

Certified Plastic

• Members
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

Cynicism inbound:

Because Rockstar are very good Liars, just like they way they showed vehicles and items in GTAO in the trailer, without any guarantee they would be in the actual game; they think can get away with lying about the limitations of the vehicle handling stats because there is no speedometer.

They are adding a speedometer according to an ign interview last month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users