Photo

The Job Tag Database

36 replies to this topic
Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by Fachuro, 31 May 2014 - 10:48 PM.

Job tags

is perhaps one of the most underused features of GTA, apart from the Tennis courts. And not by alot! Now, this is a shame because tagging, is perhaps one of the most genios ideas used in the Web 2.0, also known as the Semantic Web. When used properly, it's one of your greatest tools. (Google was started based on semantic technologies, and one of the first to show how it could used)

Fair enough

the search engine used in the Social Club isn't the greatest, and can't really be used to do google quality searches. But, using the tag system properly, as long as we do it as a community, could vastly improve your chances to have alot of people play your creations and like them!

Creating quality material and fun stuff will of course always be the main factor, so no guarantees here. But it doesn't take a genius to see that if you improve the ability for people who want to play your job to search for your job, the likelihood they will bookmark it and play it will also increase

A few important guidelines for tagging:

• Don't be unique, categorise don't individualise
  • Don't use tags where people might be expecting something very different
  • Don't use tags people wouldn't naturally search for

You're not trying to surprise anyone.

When people search, it's because they want something specific. If they don't get what they were looking for, chances are they will be disliking your work because they were expecting something different. (If you use the #super tag, and it's locked to utility, people wont play it)

And that's the brilliant part, the best tagged and created jobs will then naturally succeed as the most popular jobs, as people mainly enjoy what they're expecting. Hopefully by now you realise how amazingly useful this database can become both for us, the creators and for our "customers", the players.
Please help be a part of the development of this tool, for your own enjoyment primarily, and secondary, for the rest of us and our enjoyment.

What we need is for people to actively use this database both to search and to tag races accurately.
We need help developing and defining tags that could be useful, and appropriately categorising them.
We also need help spreading the word. The more people actively use this, the easier searching for jobs will be.

Thank you for your help :-)

More information on Tags and Metadata:

Any suggestions on how to build the database better will also be greatly appreciated.

Layout:

#PtP - Point to Point race

#Lap - Lap race

#1Minute, #2Minute, #3Minute... - The estimated time needed to complete 1 lap or 1 run-through

#1MinuteLap, #2MinuteLap, #3MinuteLap... - Lap race + estimated time needed to complete 1 lap

#1MinutePtP, #2MinutePtP, #3MinutePtP... - Point to Point race + estimated time needed to complete 1 run-through

Vehicle:

#SuperDef, #SportDef, #MuscleDef... - The vehicle class set as default for the race

#Super, #Sport, #Muscle... - Allowed vehicles classes you find noteworthy

#SuperOpen, #SportOpen, #MuscleOpen... - The vehicle class set to default, and the race is open to choose other classes

#SuperLock, #SportLock, #MuscleLock... - The vehicle class the race is locked to

#ZentornoLock, #JesterLock, #PhoenixLock... - The specific vehicle the race is locked to

Creator:

#[Your Name] - The name of the creator

#TwitterFachuro, #PSNCampeKoellen, #XBLMd_Oz_E... - The network where the name is used, then the name of the creator on said network

Style: 

#Grand_Prix - http://en.wikipedia....ix_motor_racing

#Hare_Scramble - http://en.wikipedia....i/Hare_scramble

#RallyCross - http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Rallycross

#AlleyCathttp://en.wikipedia....i/Alleycat_race

#SuperBikehttp://en.wikipedia....uperbike_racing

#Touringhttp://en.wikipedia....ring_car_racing

#NASCARhttp://en.wikipedia....tock_car_racing

#Sports_Racehttp://en.wikipedia....orts_car_racing

#Rallyhttp://en.wikipedia....ki/Rally_racing

#Trials

#Tight

#Narrow

#Wide

#Alleys - Navigating through mainly alleyways as opposed to staying on the main street

#City - Located in the middle of the city

#Suburbs - Located in the suburbs

#Vinewood, #Grove_St, #Maze_Bank... - Located in the specific areas mentioned (Must contain a considerable portion in said area)

Speed:

#HighSpeed

#MedSpeed

#LowSpeed

#NoSpeed

*These should be researched and discussed, tags should be based on default vehicles relative speed

Technicality:

#HighTech

#MedTech

#LowTech

#NoTech

*These need to be discussed in the community to come to a good understanding of what each tag should indicate

Mode:

#GTA

#NonContact

#Standard

#Rally

Jumps:

#JumpHeavy

#JumpMedium

#JumpLight

#NoJumps

Terrain: (New!)

#Mountain

#Beach

#Desert

#Dirt

#Sand

#Water

#Swamp

#Tunnel

#Bridge

Generic:

#Skill

#Fun

#Quick

#Simple

#Easy

#Fast

#Short

#Props

#TrainTracks

• trumpetblast, BridgeHat, ArcadeWilliamz and 2 others like this

BridgeHat
  • BridgeHat

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:57 PM Edited by BridgeHat, 25 May 2014 - 01:58 PM.

This is a really good suggestion.

Even if only a small portion of all creators used these tags, it'd still result in being able to find a selection of relevant jobs and would make finding new content so much more efficient.

Up until this point, I haven't even tried using tags to narrow my search, I just skim through jobs until something jumps out at me.

I'm all for it. This is something I hope takes off.

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Some nice suggestions there Fachuro, I can't help but notice you're missing important ones like #RPHaxs #LotsofRP #MoneyHax and #LotsofMoney - :p

Many of my jobs don't have tags at present, or are lazy ones, but I am apprehensive to mess with them while current bugs surrounding them and descriptions still exist (and for me at least, setting tags on races via social club doesn't seem to be working.

Will be interesting to see what kinds of tags DM and Capture creators can also throw into the pot to standardize things a little.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Why? Because cash cards...

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Not sure if tags are worth it as it's easily exploitable since you can add any tag you want to your map. Someone could just spam all of the tags or all of the most popular tags regardless of the map the person has made.

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Not sure if tags are worth it as it's easily exploitable since you can add any tag you want to your map. Someone could just spam all of the tags or all of the most popular tags regardless of the map the person has made.

As we're keeping no record of how popular a tag is though, they wont know which ones are popular other then by word of mouth :p And even so, it wouldn't result in a system WORSE then the current one. The less popular ones would still be working fine which would still be an improvement.

It would also harm their track as most people actually using the tags would be doing so in an attempt to find very specific tracks, and it would thus have a negative impact on the track rating, so using the system would really only be useful for those whose intention would be to use it right.

Hopefully we will be able to develop this to be an resource that allows us to as accurately as possible tag pretty much any possible job created using only the 10 tags we're allowed to use :-)

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Updated with some more tags, plus two new tag categories. Also added wikipedia links for the different race styles that can better explain what makes a race of the given style.

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:10 PM Edited by GR Choke, 30 May 2014 - 01:10 PM.

what about the search tag skill or trials?

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

#trials would definatly be relevant, I will throw that in there ;-)

Not sure if skill might just be a little too generic for people to know what to expect. I'll make a Generic: list too though, for all the tags we don't manage to define that need to be defined.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Great idea man. If it catches on would make a good pinned thread too. Me peronally I have never used a tag on a race or a search. I have never even done a search for any races.

I have never used twitter either lol.

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Regardless of there being a rally mode for racing, Rally should still have a tag for style IMO. 

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Regardless of there being a rally mode for racing, Rally should still have a tag for style IMO. 

Agreed, will be added ;-)

• JZFB likes this

hyperkane
  • hyperkane

"Like A Hurricane" x 100

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Some good ideas here. I think most of the 1300+ plays I got on one race was from the tag "glitch". However, it seems that R* has disallowed that word and a few orhers as of 29 days ago. Which is when my race stopped being editable. I think if I remove that tag I would be able to edit it again.

trumpetblast
  • trumpetblast

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:28 PM Edited by trumpetblast, 30 May 2014 - 10:29 PM.

So for one of my jobs - Sandy Shores: Deathdance http://socialclub.ro..._w?platformId=2 , I would want to use:  #Lap #2Minute #MuscleDef #Sport #Bikes #GTA #Jumps #BlaineCounty #MedSpeed #MedTech - would the green tags be appropriate for the 'style' category?

My reasoning being that people would either avoid races with these tags like the plague or actively search for ones containing them...

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:02 AM

I would use #Motorcycles or #Bicycles instead of #Bikes, unless your race allow both. #Bikes strike me as a wider category.

As for #GTA and #Jumps they should be included aswell, but the style category is more for the RL type of racing you're attempting to recreate. I'm thinking both would go under the generic category I'll be adding for #skill as well. I don't think either will be very useful as it doesn't really narrow your search that well, both are very wide definitions that could include pretty much anything. But that's what I'm thinking the generic category will be for.

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:07 AM Edited by GR Choke, 31 May 2014 - 06:09 AM.

these are some tags i use, any you like?

Fun
Super
Skill
Sports
Bridge
Fast
Short
Laps/point
Ramps
Jumps
Tunnel
Props
Off
offroad
mountains
Road
Tunnel
Train
Tracks
Water
Beach
Sand
Desert
Water
Dirt
Rain
Quick
Easy
Simple
City

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:12 AM Edited by Fachuro, 31 May 2014 - 09:13 AM.

A suggestion for dividing up some of them atleast, but we need to categorize and define some such as #skill. I really don't get what it's meant to say about the track yet :S  The main purpose of using tags is to give players good search criteria that will make it easier to find the kind of track they are looking for. So what we need are tags that accurately describe what the track is like. Which is why I think tags such as #skill become too generic.

I did add it under "Generic" though.

Will be adding your newly submitted tags under the following categories (not listing those that are there already):

Generic:

#Fun

#Quick

#Simple

#Easy

#Fast

#Short

#Props

#TrainTracks

Terrain: (New!)

#Mountain

#Beach

#Desert

#Dirt

#Sand

#Water

#Swamp

#Tunnel

#Bridge

#City

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:18 PM Edited by GR Choke, 31 May 2014 - 01:38 PM.

what about hard, traffic, grass, rain and zancudo

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Updated OP a little bit to improve the structure, still room for work so feedback is appreciated.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed that if you publish the race and come back to it to edit later, the search tags aren't listed anymore? It's like they get reset/deleted if you reopen the race.
I don't know if they get deleted from the SC page but I always re-do them when I edit my races just in case. Kinda annoying.
  • SaveTheZombies likes this

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Much easier to just add them on SC :p

• Leeds-Monkey likes this

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:22 AM Edited by GR Choke, 01 June 2014 - 02:14 AM.

what about the time of day? night morning noon?

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Great idea man. If it catches on would make a good pinned thread too. Me peronally I have never used a tag on a race or a search. I have never even done a search for any races.

Was going to type just this !! makes sense though will def do for future races but not going back to make edits on published  !

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Was going to type just this !! makes sense though will def do for future races but not going back to make edits on published  !

Tags is actually the one thing you're able to edit through Social Club, so it's pretty easy adding them if you change your mind, don't even have to load the Creator ;-)

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone else noticed that if you publish the race and come back to it to edit later, the search tags aren't listed anymore? It's like they get reset/deleted if you reopen the race.
I don't know if they get deleted from the SC page but I always re-do them when I edit my races just in case. Kinda annoying.

Yea. I used to add tags but they kept getting deleted so I tend to just forget about them now. that's probably the reason why a lot of other people don't bother with them either.

OP is right, if the jobs could actually retain the tags, it would be a great way to search.

i just browse around my crews.

hyperkane
  • hyperkane

"Like A Hurricane" x 100

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Also, today I noticed that if you search some tag words it will come up with "no job results" or only detect one or a few. However, if you change it to sort by "date", "name" or "plays" instead of "likes" you will get many more results. I hope this is looked into.   :blink:

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Was A Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

^^ what you search for?

hyperkane
  • hyperkane

"Like A Hurricane" x 100

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

^^ what you search for?

It happened with several words I had tried. Fairly normal words. Parachute was one if I remember?

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Streamer

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

^^ what you search for?

It happened with several words I had tried. Fairly normal words. Parachute was one if I remember?

I'll look into this and see if I can understand how it works. It's obviously a glitch or bug that makes it work like that, but relying on R* to fix said glitch might prove less of a fruitful effort then to just try figuring out what makes it happen ourselves, and provide guidelines on how to get around it. Very grateful for your contribution ;-) I figured because of that I might also add some simple picture-based guides on how to add tags through Social Club, how to tag a job well and how to do good searches for jobs ;-) 

If anyone want to help me with any of this just leave me a note on what you're making a guide for and send me a private message with the guide. You will then be credited for your contribution in the OP. Again, thanks alot for your contributions so far guys, I'm confident we have such a competent community on the GTAforums that we will be able to really make a big contribution towards easing job sharing and advertising ;-)

stronktank
  • stronktank

#stronk

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by stronktank, 05 June 2014 - 03:52 PM.

(...) 

When people search, it's because they want something specific. If they don't get what they were looking for, chances are they will be disliking your work because they were expecting something different. (If you use the #super tag, and it's locked to utility, people wont play it)

And that's the brilliant part, the best tagged and created jobs will then naturally succeed as the most popular jobs, as people mainly enjoy what they're expecting. Hopefully by now you realise how amazingly useful this database can become both for us, the creators and for our "customers", the players.

(...)

Fantastic point you're making. And great idea too. Adding the appropriate tags to all my races. Though I do think there should be a DM search section too?

#Challenge, #Movietheme, #Theme could go in there too

Great work!

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:50 PM Edited by LuapYllier, 05 June 2014 - 04:51 PM.

While I think having the option of higher detail levels is great I think you should also have lower level detail options. For example:
#Tech
#Speed
#Drift

I am going to tag my races but I don't forsee myself being as specific as your options so far provide.
Example:
Muscle Memory #luapyllier #laps #muscle #street #speed #RRR1
  • stronktank likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users