Quantcast

» «
Photo

Curious, how do you feel about weapon pickups?

26 replies to this topic
Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

I've never bothered to find weapon pickups if they were obtainable at Ammunation. In fact, I'd rather be able to purchase all weapons at relevant retailers (Ammunation, Hardware Store, etc.). It seems somewhat illogical to randomly find them on the ground wherever. I wonder how others feel about this aspect of GTA...

Do you prefer acquiring weapons by searching for and finding them scattered all over the map? Do you prefer acquiring weapons through other characters during missions? Do you prefer purchasing your weapons at Ammunation? How would you like the next GTA to handle weapons?

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:03 AM Edited by Luddite, 23 May 2014 - 04:19 AM.

Ya.. I'm not sure about the big-ticket items like rpgs or miniguns but don't mind so much if the less powerful wepons are findable but rare.

There should, however, be armed npcs from whom to steal weapons. I find this much more rewarding. SA was cool to get uzis & AKs from Ballas and not just pistols.

Melee weapons should abound appropiatly. ie: bats at playgrounds, knives in kitchens, chainsaws & shovels where they'd really be found.

Armor pickups are an absolute neccesity tho.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

I remember when I was walking out of Costco, I found an assault rifle floating about four feet in the air with an orange hue around it. True story.
  • Luddite, Fortress and matajuegos01 like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You sing about breaking faces! LCHC!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

I remember when I was walking out of Costco, I found an assault rifle floating about four feet in the air with an orange hue around it. True story.

What? For me, I once came across a glowing molotov coctail on the ground. Never seen them float. The next day I saw money glowing on the streets.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

What? For me, I once came across a glowing molotov coctail on the ground. Never seen them float. The next day I saw money glowing on the streets.

It could be worse. I saw a guy get hit by a Honda and a few seconds later, he dissolved into a chalk outline.

• Killerdude8 likes this

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

Busy listening to Rick Astley

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

It could be worse. I saw a guy get hit by a Honda and a few seconds later, he dissolved into a chalk outline.

Once I got hit by a car and for a few seconds everything went into slow-mo, had a blue hue, and these big red words just floated in front of my face, reading, "Wasted".

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Once I got hit by a car and for a few seconds everything went into slow-mo, had a blue hue, and these big red words just floated in front of my face, reading, "Wasted".

What happened after that?

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

What happened after that?

Everything went black for a second and then I came walking out of the hospital, neat and tidy. But the same thing happened again after I said good morning to a police officer and they just whipped out their guns and put me down.

• Fortress likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Everything went black for a second and then I came walking out of the hospital, neat and tidy.

That happened to me this one time I choked on a chicken wing. They took $5,000 from me, though. Even stranger seeing as I only had about twenty bucks at the time.

• ssbawesome and matajuegos01 like this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

Ya.. I'm not sure about the big-ticket items like rpgs or miniguns but don't mind so much if the less powerful wepons are findable but rare.

There should, however, be armed npcs from whom to steal weapons. I find this much more rewarding. SA was cool to get uzis & AKs from Ballas and not just pistols.

Melee weapons should abound appropiatly. ie: bats at playgrounds, knives in kitchens, chainsaws & shovels where they'd really be found.

Armor pickups are an absolute neccesity tho.

Thanks for your post. :)

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

In all seriousness, you shouldn't be able to find miniguns or RPGs laying around unless they're in a military base of some kind. I'd like to see pistols hidden in trashcans and the sorts. It'd also be cool to walk around the woods and find dead bodies with rifles. Although they can be helpful at the beginning of the games, where you have little to no money, they become impractical to pick up later on, as you can simply buy large quantities of ammo instead of having to wait for the pickup to respawn.

• Midnightz likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

I remember this one time with my ex, we walked over to this Chinese takeaway and we found a boxcutter under a bench.

I wouldn't think you just find guns laying around in the open or hidden (like under a bench) in real life, unless the game's taking place during the Vietnam War in Vietnam and you happen to find a Vietcong weapon stash in some hole and you manage to take it, without getting blown up by a booby trap. I get the idea if you're a criminal, someone wants you to drop a pistol off somewhere and you decide to leave it in a trash can or in a hole in a tree. But that also makes you think, what if the wrong person gets hold of it?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I've never bothered to find weapon pickups if they were obtainable at Ammunation. In fact, I'd rather be able to purchase all weapons at relevant retailers (Ammunation, Hardware Store, etc.). It seems somewhat illogical to randomly find them on the ground wherever. I wonder how others feel about this aspect of GTA...

Do you prefer acquiring weapons by searching for and finding them scattered all over the map? Do you prefer acquiring weapons through other characters during missions? Do you prefer purchasing your weapons at Ammunation? How would you like the next GTA to handle weapons?

I dont mind it either way to be fair. It is a game at the end of the day so obviously this would never happen in the real world but it's just the way games have been for the most part so I dont mind it either way. I've personally bought all my weapons from ammunation and haven't really killed people to see what weapons they drop.

human smoke
  • human smoke

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

There since gta1 so why remove suddenly? aslong as they drop just a small amount of ammo there's no problem. Keep ammunation for incase you need alot of ammo or dont want scout whole map. So keep it the way it always was. Npc need drop gun they were wielding while you killed them. 

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I had forgotten about when NPCs drop weapons. That, I actually like. But finding guns on the ground in random places, I always thought was illogical and annoying. Only being able to acquire melees this way has also always irked me.

I'd rather see a system where we buy weapons at stores, can acquire through NPC drops or intercepting deliveries, and if a character gives you one during a mission. Melee weapons should be sold in stores too. It would be okay to also find melees in places where they make sense, as someone above suggested. I'm all about evolution of the series. ;)

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

There are weapons laying around in lakes and near the quays around ports or in the woods, because that's where they have been thrown to get rid of incriminating evidence. So if the pick-ups were not glowing and whirling around, and instead lying on the bottom of a lake or sea or on the ground in woods, it would be okay. They should be hard to find, because that's the reason they were discaded there in the first place.

In 3D universe I used to not buy weapons from a store, unless I was in a hurry or it was a part of a mission. Why would you pay if you could have them from your safe house without paying? So unlimited supply of weapons from your safe house is not good for the economy of the game. And therefore I like V's approach about guns. However there should have been more variation of gunstores, the illegal ones to be more precise. IV was great on this. I guess there was only Ammunation, because it's so easy to get guns in cali and R* wanted to satirize that.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm NEVER buying guns from gun shops. I prefer picking them up. Come on, GTA shouldn't be THAT realistic... :whistle:

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm NEVER buying guns from gun shops. I prefer picking them up. Come on, GTA shouldn't be THAT realistic... :whistle:

You can't pick up rocket launchers from dead peds :p

'Go have fun with that Johnny' :devil:

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

I suppose it makes some sense finding discarded guns in water but finding them in someone's backyard, in a random bush in the countryside, or in a city alley? Not so much. It's just too random for my tastes. I guess for me, I just don't like looking for them - I prefer just knowing where to get them. I'd rather stumble across other stuff (collectibles) when exploring. The glow effect hides the object too so when I run across something, I don't even know what I picked up, lol.

I'm digging the idea of raiding storage crates on freighters or hijacking shipments (on a recurring schedule) to find free guns - THAT would be cooler, IMO.

• killdrivetheftvehicle likes this

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I don't have anything against weapon pickups as long as they are hidden in some dark and creepy backyards. Finding an RPG in a swimming pool is fun too though :lol: .

I'm digging the idea of raiding storage crates on freighters or hijacking shipments (on a recurring schedule) to find free guns - THAT would be cooler, IMO.

We had it in Chinatown Wars.

• Jeansowaty likes this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ah, never played that GTA.

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low-rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

It's something tha kept me from getting all the packages in GTA 3, a lot of weapon pick-ups will float around you're safehouse, it reminds you every time that you're playing a game, to over the top for me, it breaks the immersion, I'd prefer to go to a shop.

I only use a wep pickup if it's a weapon which is not available yet, and I love it, like SG.

• Midnightz likes this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Prankster

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

I use the armor pickups very often in eflc, they sure come in handy

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Rest in Peace, kitty0706. Thanks for the Entertainment.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

It seemed kinda cool and almost realistic to find a pistol or even a mirco SMG or pump shotgun in an alley in the sh*ttiest parts of Bohan, I can handle that.

What I don't understand or like is finding like, grenades somewhere out-of-place as a construction site, or miniguns in Phil Cassidy's trailer.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I don't have anything against weapon pickups as long as they are hidden in some dark and creepy backyards. Finding an RPG in a swimming pool is fun too though :lol: .

We had it in Chinatown Wars.

R*, why you didn't add such cool things to GTA V.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Weapon/Health/Armor Pickups are useful if you find them in the middle of a mission. Especially Health Pickups and Armor pickups.

That being said I rarely visited the gun store in IV. I used to visit Ammu Nation a lot in the previous GTA's but in IV it's really easy to find ammo for your guns and the missions are kinda easy compared to SA or VC so I don't bother.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for your posts. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users