So any babyboomers playing?

175 replies to this topic
Nenzo
  • Nenzo

LS Shootas

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm 42 next week, and to celebrate I've taken a week and a half off work and will spend half of that time playing GTAO.

Happy Birthday to me :D

Have a good one mate
  • Furry_Monkey likes this

soundism
  • soundism

Put a bird on it

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

31 here. My Xbox friends list is full with mostly older gamers. The oldest person I've met through online gaming is in his late sixties, but I met him on Forza.

The oldest person I've spoken with in GTAO is 36, which is unfortunate. The color of GTA's parody and humor is what attracts me and the people I play with to it. I fear that much of that humor is lost on younger gamers. Moreover, that the developers might gear the series towards a younger demographic, leaving adult fans less to appreciate.
  • Diesleman likes this

Heffe707
  • Heffe707

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

In my day we didn't have these fancy game consoles. 

WE HAD STICKS AND WE LIKED IT!! AND IT SNOWED EVERY DAY FOR FIVE YEARS!!

Actually we had it pretty good when I was in high school.   I have no idea what stories I will be able to tell my 11 year old daughter to scare her off when she asks me for money.

Probably something lame about vinyl records or not having cable television.

Don't forget the rocks and pinecones and sh*t we used to throw at our friends, too.

Eddie_INTV
  • Eddie_INTV

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

I wouldn't call myself a baby boomer,but i am 43 years old. My first exposure to video games was in the 70's on a Coleco Telstar.

Later on had a Atari 2600,5200,7800,during that time i had a Intellivision (hence my name and avatar). i started playing GTA in the 90's with the very first one. i never looked back and was hooked. I sill play games with a passion to this day and i will never change i now collect classic game systems and play current games every chance i get.

• Day Reaper likes this

ejmkyp
  • ejmkyp

Player Hater

• Members
  • Cyprus

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

I'm 28 and I'm glad to see older players playing GTAO. My g/f is always like "videogames are for kids, derp derp" especially when she hears the squeekers online. I try to explain to here that the age average has grown by... 20 years the last 20 years.

I'm telling her about this thread.

• Diesleman and Eddie_INTV like this

Forager
  • Forager

No Count A$$hole

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

I am a grandfather (56 years old) that enjoys playing gta5, I was wondering how many other old people play? 

Looks like I'm moving into second place. I'll be 56 in exactly a month. I've been a gamer since 1990, when I bought my nephew's NES so he could upgrade to the SNES, but I played some Intellivision, ColecoVision, and Atari before that, too. I can hold my own in GTAO, and I hardly ever play golf. Unfortunately, I'm not a grandpa (yet). I have two career-minded daughters. 

I find it hilarious when some of these kids whine about how boring it is to grind Coveted and RR for money. My college roommate had Pong, and we used to play that sh!t for hours on end! 

31 here. My Xbox friends list is full with mostly older gamers. The oldest person I've met through online gaming is in his late sixties, but I met him on Forza.

The oldest person I've spoken with in GTAO is 36, which is unfortunate. The color of GTA's parody and humor is what attracts me and the people I play with to it. I fear that much of that humor is lost on younger gamers. Moreover, that the developers might gear the series towards a younger demographic, leaving adult fans less to appreciate.

This is a great point. In the interest of realism, i tried to make my primary character old, like me. I think the high limit in character builder is 40-something.

• Miss Malevolent, Eddie_INTV and Day Reaper like this

lilpokerface
  • lilpokerface

ME

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

37, Been playing GTA since it came out. There is a day and night difference between then and now, in terms of graphics and gameplay. I remember the first time beating a ped with a baseball bat for five minutes. It was empowering and fun as hell!! SA was the tits.

KnobCheez
  • KnobCheez

Puttin' on an iron shirt.....

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm 43 here and been playing gta since the 3d era, just started to get my other half who is 52 into the online side. Have 2 step sons both into gaming and one worked for EA for a while, the other is just finishing his degree at uni which is and art course aimed at the games industry. His had several trips to the guys who do all the lego games

Sorry off topic.
My son f*cking loves those games, me too really. The humour in them is spot on. Marvel superheroes especially is brilliant.

Back on topic: OP have you been a gamer from the very outset or is this a recent hobby?
  • Miss Malevolent likes this

DS Monkfish
  • DS Monkfish

Doesn't know how to do good avatars

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm 42 and have been playing videogames since Pong. My friend's dad is in his mid-sixties and loves Halo and Dragon Age. 

I miss my old Commodore 64, but not the 30 minute loading times from cassette...

• Miss Malevolent, Eddie_INTV, Day Reaper and 1 other like this

frankenstein107
  • frankenstein107

bolegdeh

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Wowowow.. now I feel ashamed for all the times I've cussed.  :catspider:

Nice to see middle aged folks appreciating video games! My parents, especially my dad, are completely baffled as to why I enjoy video games, they think it's a genuine waste of time, heh.

dewtech_2008
  • dewtech_2008

Boldly going forwards, 'cause we can't find reverse

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Nice to see middle aged folks appreciating video games! My parents, especially my dad, are completely baffled as to why I enjoy video games, they think it's a genuine waste of time, heh.

Know that feeling well :lol:

Saying that, I don't understand the 7 old motorbikes in various stages of kit form around the back garden, so we're at a bit of a standoff atm haha.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm 42 next week, and to celebrate I've taken a week and a half off work and will spend half of that time playing GTAO.

Happy Birthday to me :D

Have a good one mate

Thank you - I intend to try my hardest :)

frankenstein107
  • frankenstein107

bolegdeh

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Saying that, I don't understand the 7 old motorbikes in various stages of kit form around the back garden, so we're at a bit of a standoff atm haha.

At least your parents have proper interests.. perhaps the only thing my parents like.. is Egyptian movies, that's about it. :p

Nuka Cola Quantum
  • Nuka Cola Quantum

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

Two guys I play with daily are 48 and 49. One other I play with is 51. All really cool guys who happen to be older than my parents. I'm 25 years old.
  • Day Reaper likes this

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm 35, two kids. Been playing games since the ZX Spectrum... You had to load those bad boys with a f*cking cassette TAPE!!!
  • Miss Malevolent, Eddie_INTV and Day Reaper like this

MilezDawg
  • MilezDawg

Use of the sh*t stick has been authorized

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

I will be 32 in August, and first played GTA1 and the London expansion on my PC in 1998 when I was 15, been hooked on GTA since. Got my first NES on my 6th birthday in 1988, been hooked on gaming since.
I'll be a gamer till I die, and when im a seinor citizen I'll be looking forward to GTAX.
  • Eddie_INTV and rickreim like this

AGiganticLlama
  • AGiganticLlama

Huge Llama Destruction!

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

I'm glad to see there is no age limit when it comes to games.
  • Eddie_INTV and frankenstein107 like this

rushhour250
  • rushhour250

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

Awesome thread.. I am 35 and I also like to play GTA V.. Although my wife despises the game.. LOL

• Day Reaper and rickreim like this

Crunch McThornbody
  • Crunch McThornbody

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

"Back in my day 10p got you to Italy and back with enough for you to get 25 Twix's with the change" - All Old People

They were definitely cheaper in my day, but not that cheap :p

Thorn669
  • Thorn669

Ruffian Rider

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

I'm 35, been gaming since I got an Atari 2600 for christmas around 30 years ago. My oldest crew member is 47.
  • Miss Malevolent and Day Reaper like this

Farque2
  • Farque2

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

47 here. Not quite a baby boomer, but definitely on the upper end of the age spectrum.

First system was an Atari? in the late 70s. Had Pong and some other game that you had to shoot that little white dot (dont know if it was actually white or not,as we only had a B&W tv!) Had an early nintendo system, and then Playstation 1, 2 & 3. Never been a hardcore gamer, but do enjoy my limited game time

I usually get owned in GTAV due to my grandma-like reflexes, but still manage to have a grin on my face regardless.

GTA V is my first endevour into the world of online gaming and am enjoying it thoroughly! Tried some other online shooters,(COD, Battlefield et al) but i was so lost and got my ass kicked badly.( need to practice offline a little more) 

Well, ive rambled on for long enough.

now..........GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

• Liquid715, DS Monkfish, mupp3tz and 6 others like this

beretta-gt88
  • beretta-gt88

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'm 38 and will be 39 in August I've been playing games since Pac-Man on Atari and just can't stop playing games, ever since GTA III on PS2 I've been hooked to GTA games. I can't wait for GTA VI :devil:

• Day Reaper likes this

WV121
  • WV121

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Going to hit the big 60 in Sept. Been gaming since the 80's. My how time flies...... Got plenty of time on my hands as I am retired from the U.S. Navy and retired from U.S. Customs. Let me hear ya Boomers!

WV

• DS Monkfish, Eddie_INTV, Day Reaper and 3 others like this

Lisha
  • Lisha

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by Lisha, 21 May 2014 - 11:08 PM.

I love threads like this. I'm 20 but it's nice to see people of all ages playing GTA.

My mum's 52 and she tried GTA IV. Bless her though, she just ran around in circles. She's not a gamer so I can't fault her.

• Day Reaper likes this

Forager
  • Forager

No Count A$$hole

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Going to hit the big 60 in Sept. Been gaming since the 80's. My how time flies...... Got plenty of time on my hands as I am retired from the U.S. Navy and retired from U.S. Customs. Let me hear ya Boomers!

WV

We have a new leader! Awesome. We need to start a Grumpy Old Men crew.

Youth is wasted on the young!

• Eddie_INTV, Cornbat and Charlie The Tuna like this

WhoFartd
  • WhoFartd

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

a few months shy of 40 here ! im severely addicted to gtaonline !mostly driving around,fixing up cars and oh yeah the killing of squeakers is fun too   

• Miss Malevolent likes this

Aunty Fascist
  • Aunty Fascist

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'll see 50 in a few months.

Been gaming on consoles since Pong came out in 1974.

• DS Monkfish, mupp3tz, Miss Malevolent and 4 others like this

statistic
  • statistic

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

I'm mid 40's, play video games, and have 5 motorcycles and two cars in various stages of repair around the garage/yard.  My kids don't play video games at all, they think it's a waste of time.  Hard to argue, really...

WV121
  • WV121

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

WV

We have a new leader! Awesome. We need to start a Grumpy Old Men crew.

Youth is wasted on the young!

But old age and treachery will overcome....... :lol:

I'll see 50 in a few months.

Been gaming on consoles since Pong came out in 1974.

50 be a good age....ya can still remember where you parked the car at the mall.

• Bluesun62 and Aunty Fascist like this

rodneyclint
  • rodneyclint

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

Mid-20's and now feel sooo much better about playing games. Was wondering if there was a "limit", but now I feel I can play on.

• carmazoo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users