A question about LODS

8 replies to this topic
fastman95
  • fastman95

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

-Hi. I'm editing the map of San Andreas but when I make a new model it must be connected with a LOD model so I can see it from a far distance, but this is annoying me because it takes too much time to make those LODs (Reducing polygons and decreasing the resolution of textures) .

-My question is: Is there anyway to see the model from a far distance but without those LODs?  :blink:

Ezekiel_RN
  • Ezekiel_RN

ƤΛƝƊΛ

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

yes..wait my mod to release...and you will have Exelent trees on 3000 draw distance...OK

• Concavax and FlameAS like this

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro modding.

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

yes..wait my mod to release...and you will have Exelent trees on 3000 draw distance...OK

Changing objects to the max draw distance can be very bad for the engine. you do not need to make an LOD for every object. I suggest you only need to make LODs for the buildings you only want see from a far.

Load up the normal dff in 3dsmax and do not reduce the vertices or faces, instead scale down these models by 5 units so this model just fits in side the orignal [name].dff with a texture size of 64x64. remove any other detail from the model just leaving the roof and 4 walls and then save this as the LOD[name].dff and continue to make the COL deleting the mash just leaving the pivot and bounding box.

Objects with alpha texturing like trees or metal fences will look terrible at 3000 draw units.

If you have to many dffs with alpha textures higher then 1000 units you will crash the engine.

Ezekiel_RN
  • Ezekiel_RN

ƤΛƝƊΛ

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

thanx for that info....

I make palms 1--2 mb dff size....I make them to 2000 dd.... isn't crashing right now..but we will se in future....

Ezekiel_RN
  • Ezekiel_RN

ƤΛƝƊΛ

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:00 PM Edited by Ezekiel_RN, 15 June 2014 - 10:01 PM.

topic in maps is now..if you interesting

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

Big SA fan with the head full of ideas.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

What would happen if we put original models as LOD ones? (No reducing polygons etc.) It's the model size limit or what?

Ezekiel_RN
  • Ezekiel_RN

ƤΛƝƊΛ

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

basically In my mod..I do that-no lods-

palm tree is same on 1 and 4000 d-distance

SergeantSavidge
  • SergeantSavidge

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Use LINK/2012's AutoLOD tool.

FlameAS
  • FlameAS

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:03 AM Edited by FlameAS, 23 June 2014 - 01:23 AM.

What would happen if we put original models as LOD ones? (No reducing polygons etc.) It's the model size limit or what?

Well, I've tested this idea and it's working, but at least you should reduce the size of textures. To reduce the size of many textures at once use an image size reducer.

Results:

-Objects look good from a far distance.

-You shouldn't use many dffs with alpha textures or you will crash the engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users