Taxis from your Hometown

14 replies to this topic
SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Since there is a "Post a picture of your local bus company" Let's do one related to Taxis!

Barcelona Taxis

Seat 1500

1zppjk3.jpg

Seat 1430

1430-taxi-02.jpg

Seat Toledo MKI

taxi%20barcelona.jpg

Mercedes E190

taxi1ye6.jpg

PRESENT DAY CARS

1087_166seattoledo1.jpg

taxi_prius_bcn.jpg

Skoda%20Octavia%2005.jpg

82BE68C3BE28CAE6185A6E62E28.jpg

000-876915.jpg

IMG-20140212-WA0003%281%29.jpg

img05.jpg

taxi-barcelona-nieve.jpg

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Yet if my hometown taxi fleet has probably the dullest paint job (just a basic sticker), there's a good amount of fairly new vehicles.

WbjwdS0.jpg

An asshole driver with a Mercedes cab like that almost hit me in two different occasions...

taxis-de-Bilbao.jpg

More Mercedes...

p6I0K70.jpg

Skoda Superb. Are those specifically made for taxi fleets? I've seen a bunch of them recently...

taxi_1.jpg

Seat Altea.

FNuFs8s.jpg

Chevrolet Epica. The last one is an Altea again and the middle one I guess is some sort of Toyota or Citroen, no idea. Overal there's a big variety, impossible to name them all. In regard to older vehicles, the next are some pictures I could find.

Seat Toledo.

20130302020351.jpg

Seat 800

DSCF0079.jpg

Renault R8.

bilbao2.jpg

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

No matter where you are in South Africa, you will always see minibus taxis taking the masses to where they want to go. People that rely on minibus taxis are usually poorer, working class people without their own cars, or without any other modes of transportation. Most minibus taxis are a pain in the ass for other road users because they drive like freakin maniacs, ignoring the road rules, stopping where they want (like right in the middle of an intersection, blocking all traffic) etc.

taxis.jpg

The only other taxis I can think of right now are Rixi Taxis, although there are others.

371790.jpg

I've seen a few of these in recent times as well haha. Taxis for women, driven by women. They also use Honda Jazz as far as I know.

first-for-women2.jpg

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

oMkrsZh.jpg

• Killerdude likes this

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I've begun noticing a lot of Toyotas and Scions being used as cabs in Chicago, they're slowly outnumbering the now-discontinued Crown Victorias.

chicago-taxi-cab-accident.jpg

6632997557_21d3f033de_z.jpg

6354686761_c3d9749256_z.jpg

I'd imagine they're more fuel efficient than Crown Victorias. It's been a long time since I've rode in a cab here though.

///M
  • ///M

E39

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:51 PM Edited by ARCTICvnc, 20 May 2014 - 09:52 PM.

Taxi-LA.jpg

hybrid_taxi-bell-cab-jpg(2).jpg

There have been less crown Vics and more Prius and Camry taxies.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Taxis for women, driven by women. They also use Honda Jazz as far as I know.

first-for-women2.jpg

That's very sexist and it discriminates men. Oh but, guess what, i bet the media dosen't give a f*ck when men are getting discriminated.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:25 PM Edited by W2B, 21 May 2014 - 12:30 PM.

It's definitely not discrimination against men or sexist. The service was launched especially for women traveling alone in a country where sexual crimes against women are unfortunately very high. It's just a safe and easy way for women to get where they want to go.

Most women here still use normal taxis though, and I very rarely see those pink cabs anywhere.
  • epoxi likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

It's sad to see the iconical Crown Victoria gone and being replaced with hideous Toyotas:(

No matter where you are in South Africa, you will always see minibus taxis taking the masses to where they want to go. People that rely on minibus taxis are usually poorer, working class people without their own cars, or without any other modes of transportation. Most minibus taxis are a pain in the ass for other road users because they drive like freakin maniacs, ignoring the road rules, stopping where they want (like right in the middle of an intersection, blocking all traffic) etc.

taxis.jpg

Didn't one of these crash few months ago causing a quite elevated death toll? I recall seeing something in the news.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:23 PM Edited by W2B, 22 May 2014 - 08:15 AM.

^ well actually that happens quite frequently unfortunately. The drivers are usually poorly trained, and they drive very recklessly by speeding, skipping red lights, overtaking when they shouldn't be overtaking etc.

One of the worst tragedies in recent times involving a minibus taxi happened in Cape Town in 2010 if I remember correctly, when a taxi carrying 15 school children was hit by a train at a level crossing. Ten of the children were killed. The booms were down and there was a queue of cars waiting, but the taxi driver was impatient and decided to drive past them and ignore everything. The driver survived and a couple of years ago he was sentenced to 20 years in prison. I think his sentence was reduced by 10 years or so, which was quite controversial.

ab0f3cdd53fe4ecbb058701acc6e0504.jpg

Just one example of how reckless and irresponsible a lot of minibus taxi drivers are.

I've driven past a few accident scenes in my time involving minibus taxis, some serious with bodies lying around covered by sheets, and some not so serious.

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

^ well actually that happens quite frequently unfortunately. The drivers are usually poorly trained, and they drive very recklessly by speeding, skipping red lights, overtaking when they shouldn't be overtaking etc.

I've driven past a few accident scenes in my time involving minibus taxis, some serious with bodies lying around covered by sheets, and some not so serious.

I'm not saying ALL minibus taxi drivers are bad, but A LOT of them are.

I have to give it up to the Cab Drivers in NYC how packed it is and they rarely have accidents there they use Ford Escapes, Pruis and Crown Vics

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

That's very sexist and it discriminates men. Oh but, guess what, i bet the media dosen't give a f*ck when men are getting discriminated.

I agree, people don't realise just how hard it is growing up as a white male in a developed country.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

It's definitely not discrimination against men or sexist. The service was launched especially for women traveling alone in a country where sexual crimes against women are unfortunately very high. It's just a safe and easy way for women to get where they want to go.

Most women here still use normal taxis though, and I very rarely see those pink cabs anywhere.

I understand, but the "Only women allowed taxis" it's a way of saying "All men rape women". I am pro equal rights but today it looks like If a women discriminates a guy it's totally acceptably by society.

Just to use an example from my country, not to long ago (A couple of years) car insurances where cheaper for women than for men even if they where the same age and had the same experience driving... Luckily the government banned that from happening.

I agree, people don't realise just how hard it is growing up as a white male in a developed country.

It's not about race, it's about gender.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:44 PM Edited by epoxi, 22 May 2014 - 05:46 PM.

It isn't exactly about race, but it is definitely about what country you are talking about. Europe (specifically the EU) is an incubator with a highly developed legal system and welfare system, where everyone can discuss "what is fair" and talk about "equality" with little fear of discrimination and isolation from any strong cultural mindset.

In many countries such as India (and presumably South Africa) the police system is corrupt, the legal system doesn't work, there is a clash of modern and traditional cultures and a rich-poor divide which makes a McDonalds worker and Bill Gates look equal.

The reality in some countries is rape and violence is rampant because women are afraid to speak out, and rightly so because in many cases women going to the police complaining they have been raped or robbed are then raped by the police themselves. Many victims are also disowned by their families as the rape brings 'shame' to their family.

As such, the criminals are never caught, and there are more of them because men know they can get away with robbery/rape. I don't judge SA or India for having "women's taxis" and "women's train carriages" because it is a vital solution to a cultural problem which will take many years to fix.

• Kiffster likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

st_albert_taxi_10cc87d5_928f_fd79_2b6d_e

Not my Hometown, But where I am currently living.

Not sure if I could even find Taxis from Essex on the Internet..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users