sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm with you on bars versus clubbing- where I've mentioned nightlife it has been bars. Thinking back Kalamata had some fantastic bars and, whilst food was quite expensive, drink was very cheap.

Lots of the places I went to seemed to keep you supplied with food or give you Ouzo with beer- like, you'd order a pint of Mythros and get a bowl of mixed nuts, a bowl of crisps and a shot of Ouzo too.

Spain has probably the best bar culture in the world; I love the Spanish attitude to drinking. Buy a drink, get a plate of food. I don't know if it was just limited to the bits of Andalusia I was in but in Córdoba in particular we seemed to be able to get whole meals free with a round of drinks. Order a couple of beers, get a plate of cured meat and some pastries. Order a couple more, get sandwiches and fried saltcod fritters. Order a cheap side salad too and you can have lunch and drinks for the cost of four beers.

In the South. Where i live this is NOT like this unfortunately.
Whereabouts? There isn't really a bit of mainland Spain south of Andalusia is there?

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Greece? That place is practically dead in the water.

Please, don't say that.
  • BnB likes this

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

I'm sorry but their economy is still in the sh*ter.
  • universetwisters likes this

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

Feel the power of TOASTY!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Poland. :p

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'm with you on bars versus clubbing- where I've mentioned nightlife it has been bars. Thinking back Kalamata had some fantastic bars and, whilst food was quite expensive, drink was very cheap.

Lots of the places I went to seemed to keep you supplied with food or give you Ouzo with beer- like, you'd order a pint of Mythros and get a bowl of mixed nuts, a bowl of crisps and a shot of Ouzo too.

Spain has probably the best bar culture in the world; I love the Spanish attitude to drinking. Buy a drink, get a plate of food. I don't know if it was just limited to the bits of Andalusia I was in but in Córdoba in particular we seemed to be able to get whole meals free with a round of drinks. Order a couple of beers, get a plate of cured meat and some pastries. Order a couple more, get sandwiches and fried saltcod fritters. Order a cheap side salad too and you can have lunch and drinks for the cost of four beers.

In the South. Where i live this is NOT like this unfortunately.
Whereabouts? There isn't really a bit of mainland Spain south of Andalusia is there?

Have you ever heard that Spain is diffrent micro nations put together into one? That happens with Spain. In the South (Andalucia and Extremadura) you go to any bar order a beer and they will offer you a snack for free. In Catalonia they would not if you want one, you have to pay.

• Palikari likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Catalonia is a fair way north of Andalusia yet you said you lived in the South of Spain; I took that to mean near to or south of Andalusia. I'm aware of the regional differences in Spain.

-E

Sorry, I missed the full stop when I initially read your post. As you were

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Ihr müsst mich in den Stahl hinablassen.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

You should participate in a public viewing event in a major city during the FIFA World Cup. I don't know if this is popular in other European countries but since the world cup in 2006 it's a big thing in Germany. On 26. of June the USA play against Germany in the group stage.

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:43 PM Edited by Palikari, 20 May 2014 - 10:49 PM.

Ok, they have bad economy and it's the only European country that it's not growing, they still in recession. But it's a developed and very nice country.

• Total Failure likes this

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'm not arguing with that, I tend to look at everything a country has to offer, bad habit if you just want to visit one.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

Ok, they have bad economy and are it's the only European country that it's not growing, they still in recession. But it's a developed and very nice country.

Ill agree it looks nice, but going somewhere just for that reason isn't a good one. What if you go to a museum relating to a subject you really, really like. Would you still go there if the only way into the country was by horseback and there were landmines all over the place?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ok, they have bad economy and are it's the only European country that it's not growing, they still in recession. But it's a developed and very nice country.

Ill agree it looks nice, but going somewhere just for that reason isn't a good one. What if you go to a museum relating to a subject you really, really like. Would you still go there if the only way into the country was by horseback and there were landmines all over the place?

I found Lebanon quite enjoyable to be perfectly honest.

Anyone who dismisses Greece because they're economy is a basket case is doing themselves a disservice. It's like kicking Mila Kunis out of bed because she doesn't make a particularly good Spanish omelette.

If (when) you do go, though, marvel at all the buildings that don't appear to be finished. This is actually the world's least subtle tax dodge- basically, in Greece, you can live in an unfinished house without paying their property tax. So everyone builds the foundations for an extra storey on their house, and just doesn't finish them. That way, when the tax man comes a'knocking, you can just say "it's not finished" and there's no way they can force you to pay.
  • Total Failure, Mr.Scratch and Palikari like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

If (when) you do go, though, marvel at all the buildings that don't appear to be finished. This is actually the world's least subtle tax dodge- basically, in Greece, you can live in an unfinished house without paying their property tax. So everyone builds the foundations for an extra storey on their house, and just doesn't finish them. That way, when the tax man comes a'knocking, you can just say "it's not finished" and there's no way they can force you to pay.

It amazes me how people find loopholes like that.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

I'm the cosmic gypsy, tipsy from plutonium whisky.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Mostly not in Europe, but I'd recommend Turkey. It's a beautiful country, amazing food and weather, interesting culture and history and it's still relatively cheap. Istanbul is always the main attraction and it is in Europe, but there are some great places along the Aegean Coast and all over for that matter.

I'm going to Sicily this summer, anyone have any experience there?

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

I'm not arguing with that, I tend to look at everything a country has to offer, bad habit if you just want to visit one.

I don't only want to visit Greece. I've been in Greece many times and also have visited many other countries. Just happens that I love Greece.

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

https://www.google.c...62bcf10!6m1!1e1

Adriatic coast along Croatia. Split -> Makarska riviera. Can also go down to Dubrovnik or really anywhere along the coast. Rented a sports bike when I was last there, and never had a greater time riding. Enjoy your trip dude.

• sivispacem likes this

Samuel Howitzer
  • Samuel Howitzer

Jack Howitzer's greedy agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

Italy.

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

I like the tuna here.

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:11 AM

I've heard Amsterdam is quite pretty.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

https://www.google.c...62bcf10!6m1!1e1

Adriatic coast along Croatia. Split -> Makarska riviera. Can also go down to Dubrovnik or really anywhere along the coast. Rented a sports bike when I was last there, and never had a greater time riding. Enjoy your trip dude.

I second that. Dubrovnik, provided you can catch it between/prior to cruise ship load-offs is well worth a visit. Same goes for the entire coast of Croatia really, a true gem. I'd also recommend the Amalfi Coast and Florence both in Italy. Regardless of where you end up deciding to go, you're in for one hell of a great time.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

I've always wondered what Rotterdam would be like as a tourist. All I know about it is that it's got the largest port in Europe and it's home of gabber.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:04 AM

I've always wondered what Rotterdam would be like as a tourist. All I know about it is that it's got the largest port in Europe and it's home of gabber.

It was virtually flattened during World War II so it is a very modern city. But it is worth a visit nonetheless, some great restaurants (very important) and great architectural feats. Pus it's a mere 45min by train from Amsterdam, so you can't go wrong. If you ever are in the Netherlands, Amsterdam and The Hague just to name a few, are well worth a visit as well. 

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I liked Utrecht and Gouda in Holland.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:22 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 21 May 2014 - 12:30 PM.

I hear Ukraine is lovely this time of year.

--

EDIT: Actually, Ukraine IS lovely this time of year, I was there last year, before all the madness that's happening now, and it was incredibly beautiful, but full of contradiction. The Nouveau Rich seem to be oblivious to the struggles of the working classes and continue to indulge in cocktails and cocaine, while the average man struggles to pay bills and feels it necessary to join an armed militia. Beautiful country, terrible politics.

• sivispacem and Palikari like this

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

I hear Ukraine is lovely this time of year.

--

EDIT: Actually, Ukraine IS lovely this time of year, I was there last year, before all the madness that's happening now, and it was incredibly beautiful, but full of contradiction. The Nouveau Rich seem to be oblivious to the struggles of the working classes and continue to indulge in cocktails and cocaine, while the average man struggles to pay bills and feels it necessary to join an armed militia. Beautiful country, terrible politics.

Actually Crimea is a very beautiful place. That's where the rich Soviet leaders spent their holidays.

PS It's not Ukrainian anymore, since Russia invaded and annexed it illegally.
  • Total Failure likes this

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Also, don´t visit Norway. It´s boring as f*ck. I should know, I live her.

I live in Norway too and I disagree with you. It's boring for us who see these things every day, but it's appreciated by people who have never seen it. Norway is very beautiful, like the hottest of all hot actresses :)

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Pripyat is a really good place. You should give it a try.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

Amsterdam, Poznan and Bristol. Some of my favourite cities.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:18 PM Edited by Doc Rikowski, 23 May 2014 - 10:27 PM.

Some more reasons to visit Lisbon :)

http://www.globalpos...uld-move-lisbon

(About number 30... That's not the best gelato in town, this is: http://www.spottedby...ia-nannarella/)

Pavle
  • Pavle

Heist Meister

• Zaibatsu
  • Serbia
  • Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

You should visit Serbia. :^:

1297865893-nis.jpg

ji-nis2.jpg

nissrbijacentar.jpg

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Actually I've been to Serbia! I spent about five days in Belgrade with my girlfriend is from there. It's a lovely city.

Thanks for all the discussion and tips. I'd ask of Samuel Howitzer and Voit Turyv to be more specific than just naming a country. I already have a list of countries I want to hit and while I'm open to adding more countries to that list, I want to know WHERE in those countries I should visit. That's like saying "visit Russia" when it's a huge country with many places to go for many different reasons (note: I will not be going to Russia, except maybe the part on the Baltic Sea)!

I think I'll start officially planning my route out today because you all have given me a good rough outline of places I should hit. Please keep them coming and thanks so much!

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

2014 FIFA WC Prediction League 15th place.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

My rough plan is to start from Prague and head through Germany to Denmark

I'd highly recommend to visit Hamburg then. I love that city.

• Nordniedersachse likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users