Photo

Where should I visit in Europe?

75 replies to this topic
Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:51 PM Edited by OdDsOcK, 19 May 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Hello everyone,

I hope this thread is in the right place. Let's start:

I am about to finish my master's degree in the lovely city of Prague and I'm trying very hard to secure some time after my graduation to go on a motorcycle tour of Europe (I am from the US). I have done some small travel to nearby countries and Spain, but I am looking to take at least a couple months and go up, down, and all around Europe to experience more than just where a plane would get you!

My rough plan is to start from Prague and head through Germany to Denmark, then cross north to Sweden, Norway, and Finland before making my way south through the Baltic countries (and perhaps Belarus) into Poland and back through the Benelux countries to Northern France and perhaps Spain if I want to go that far. Either way, I want to loop back towards the East and hit Switzerland, Italy, and perhaps Slovenia.

I am not sure where I will end but I will probably return to the Czech Republic, in which case I will go back up north through Hungary and Slovakia.

Being that this is an international forum with a number of people who are from, live in, or have visited Europe and the many countries within it, I would like some personal tips and suggestions on where to go, how to get there, and things to do. I will be searching the net for "best places to visit in Europe" and such, but the people who can give you the best advice on where to go and what to do are locals or people who have visited somewhere extensively. I plan to hit mostly capital cities, but perhaps there are some places in a country that are even better to visit than the capital, or perhaps the capital is a boring place to be and I should skip it.

Therefore I appeal to any of you interested in sharing your experiences and wisdom. This trip has been a dream of mine ever since crossing the continental US on my motorcycle almost exactly two years ago.

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions! 

Beyond that, I will probably be trying to save money by couch-surfing a lot. If you are interested in hosting someone in the coming months for just a couple days or so, let me know! I'm just asking for interested parties of course--I'll also be using the CouchSurfers website.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

Moldova is the richest and most developed country in Europe.
You would love it.

• Voit Turyv, Andreas, Jeone and 1 other like this

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by Mister Kay, 19 May 2014 - 05:52 PM.

I haven't been out of my country yet but I just posted to say that you're living it good. Good luck!

BnB
  • BnB

return 0;

• The Yardies
  • Saint-Vincent-and-the-Grenadines

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Are you serious?

• orbitalraindrops, Shou, Palikari and 1 other like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

You should go to Nice.

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:52 PM Edited by Palikari, 19 May 2014 - 06:53 PM.

I see you visited Spain and Italy, two of the most beautiful European countries, the ones I was going to recommend you! So I recommend you to visit Greece, specially Athens and some islands. I love the Cyclades; in summer they are gorgeous. Greece is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited.

LOL!

The 5th Europe's most important economies are the UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Where is Moldova? It's even among the five biggest economies!
  • Failure likes this

Special Members
  • Special Members

Mia Khalifa <3 <3 <3

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

People didn´t understand that ClaudeSpeedRulez comment about Moldova was a joke? Come on. 

Also, don´t visit Norway. It´s boring as f*ck. I should know, I live her.

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

Andolini Mafia Family - Blood is thicker than Water

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Parts of the UK are nice. London is a good thing to experience as a tourist, and not to hard to get to from France via the Eurostar. if you fancy the detour. Pricey as f*ck though.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

People didn´t understand that ClaudeSpeedRulez comment about Moldova was a joke? Come on. 

Also, don´t visit Norway. It´s boring as f*ck. I should know, I live her.

Actually you don't know because you live there. Your own country usually seems to be the most boring.

Now, OP, if you through Estonia then definetly visit the historic old city, it even had the highest building  in the world for 50 years in the Middle ages, Oleviste church. Assuming you are just going south through Estonia then my hometown, Pärnu will be on the way. I would happily give you a better insight to the local sights and culture, if you are interested.

Here's a little preview MG_7727.jpg

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

I can heartily recommend Grenada and Montpellier. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Montpellier is probably the nicest city I've ever visited. You aren't far from the Millau Viaduct which is an incredible experience- the tallest bridge in the world.
  • Palikari likes this

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

As some already suggested Italy and Greece are a must.

Italy: Rome, Venice, Florence, Siena and you are good to go.

Greece: the islands are beautiful.

And absolutely do not forget to visit what I think is definitely among the top 10 most beautiful cities on the planet: Lisbon.

Cheapest capital in Europe, awesome weather, beaches, culture and the best nightlife.

• Palikari likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Go to Maaskanjte in the Netherlands and see the snackbar.

Or failing that, go see the old Stasi museum in Berlin.

• Shah Sam and /////AMG like this

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

A good article about Lisbon. American site.

http://www.shoestrin...ular-after-all/

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Sonnensänger

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

The 5th Europe's most important economies are the UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy.

Wrong order. Sorry, we're just proud of our economy.

OP, sounds good. If I was you I also would visit the small Russian enclave between Poland and the Baltic states, since you're visiting these countries anyway and it's no detour.
  • BnB likes this

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:46 AM Edited by Palikari, 20 May 2014 - 12:47 AM.

Wrong order. Sorry, we're just proud of our economy.

I didn't write it following an order. So... Germany comes first?

Yeah, Germany got a good economy but it's in crisis now, right? Well, just like most of Europe.

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Sonnensänger

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

Yes. Nah, no economical crisis here, that's in other parts of Europe.

Boss 1992
  • Boss 1992

aka gnad

• Members
  • Brazil
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

Go anywhere but don't come for the 2014 world cup in Brazil. 

Palikari
  • Palikari

בחור טוב

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

Israeli media says otherwise, that there is crisis in all Europe (specially Greece) and Germany has grown very little.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

Greece? That place is practically dead in the water.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Israeli media says otherwise, that there is crisis in all Europe (specially Greece) and Germany has grown very little.

US media has been doing exactly the same, oddly. Germany is growing at a rate of nearly 2%, the second-fastest in Western Europe after the UK and only marginally slower than the US. The Euro crisis is basically dead and buried everywhere but in Cyprus, pretty much every country in Europe has returned to growth now and those that haven't are forecast to next fiscal year.

Anyway, totally irrelevant in the context of the discussion.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Roygbiv

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:25 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 20 May 2014 - 07:29 AM.

I'd highly recommend Lisbon, Portugal. It's a very safe city with a great nightlife. Accommodation is cheap and it's not far to get to nice beeches from the centre. It's a small city so everything is in walking distance. 

I loved Italy, been there 3 times. There's beautiful towns dotted along the northern part near France and I'm sure all over the coast but I've only been in Liguria region. 

Berlin is loved by many too. You'lll get to see some cool history mixed with a culture that treats it's citizens like they are grown-ups. I found it very liberal there, people were friendly, artistic and we found some of the best clubs you can find in Europe, mostly out of old warehouses. Berlin was defo one of favourite cities and for some friends too. I know people who have been back over 7 times. My friends cousin runs outdoor Karaoke on Sundays in the Maurpark. It's hilarious and so much fun!

• Mr.Scratch and orbitalraindrops like this

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

^This, Berlin is full of awesome abandoned places if you're into urban exploration.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I´m gonna check Brazil next time I visit Europe.

• Mister Pink, Failure, PulpFiction and 7 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Tuscany is the most culturally interesting region of Italy IMO. Neighbouring Umbria is my favourite and has the best cuisine I think- very rustic, lots of game.

Corsica is fantastic, basically a hybrid of the best bits of Italy any France.

The entire Andalusia region of Spain is fantastic. Lots of amazing things to see and do, and it was incredibly cheap last time I went. It was incredibly hot at peak season though- I went two years ago and it was north of 35°C for most of the two weeks, with some days as hot as 42°C.

Kalamata region of Greece is worth a look. I preferred it to the islands (though the diving on the islands is better) but Greece is actually quite expensive.

Did Lisbon last year. Good holiday rather ruined by the incompetence of TAP Portugal Airlines. Getting flown back to the UK over 24 hours late, via f*cking Geneva (so two hours in totally the wrong direction) and only a quarter of our luggage arriving was a bit of a piss take. Found some of the Central Portuguese food a bit disappointing compared to Spanish though; it's much better down in the Algarve. Mind you I can eat salt cod til the cows come home.

Belgium is surprisingly awesome for somewhere that's often dismissed as boring. Bruges is incredible and Brussels has some of the best night life I've ever seen.

Croatia is excellent- Istria and the Adriatic coast are fantastic.
  • Mister Pink and Palikari like this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

If you need help on Spain let me know. Depends on what you want to do i can recommend places.

• Palikari likes this

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, please keep them coming! I didn't think of hitting Portugal but if Lisbon really is so nice I will surely add it to my list of desired destinations.

I haven't been out of my country yet but I just posted to say that you're living it good. Good luck!

I agree, I'm very lucky and that's precisely why I want to try tackling this trip before I get into a career and it's too late to plan and execute.

If you need help on Spain let me know. Depends on what you want to do i can recommend places.

I'm not a huge person for clubbing but going to bars to converse and have a relaxing time getting to know locals and out-of-towners like me is always enjoyable, so nightlife is not big on my list but I enjoy anywhere with a good bar culture.

Mostly I'm traveling so I can see the pretty sights, try the local things, and breathe deep the culture of where I visit. That's one of the reasons I want to try couch-surfing; I'll be able to connect with some locals and let them give me a unique experience that I might not be able to find on my own, especially if I don't know the language (I know just English, Spanish, and some remedial Czech).

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:28 AM Edited by Mr Scratch, 20 May 2014 - 10:38 AM.

I can't believe no one mentioned Malta. Just look at it.

paradisebeach-480x320.jpg

sejur_in_malta1-7b06cd5004c1a7a2a5173fe5
  • Failure likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'm with you on bars versus clubbing- where I've mentioned nightlife it has been bars. Thinking back Kalamata had some fantastic bars and, whilst food was quite expensive, drink was very cheap.

Lots of the places I went to seemed to keep you supplied with food or give you Ouzo with beer- like, you'd order a pint of Mythros and get a bowl of mixed nuts, a bowl of crisps and a shot of Ouzo too.

Spain has probably the best bar culture in the world; I love the Spanish attitude to drinking. Buy a drink, get a plate of food. I don't know if it was just limited to the bits of Andalusia I was in but in Córdoba in particular we seemed to be able to get whole meals free with a round of drinks. Order a couple of beers, get a plate of cured meat and some pastries. Order a couple more, get sandwiches and fried saltcod fritters. Order a cheap side salad too and you can have lunch and drinks for the cost of four beers.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm with you on bars versus clubbing- where I've mentioned nightlife it has been bars. Thinking back Kalamata had some fantastic bars and, whilst food was quite expensive, drink was very cheap.

Lots of the places I went to seemed to keep you supplied with food or give you Ouzo with beer- like, you'd order a pint of Mythros and get a bowl of mixed nuts, a bowl of crisps and a shot of Ouzo too.

Spain has probably the best bar culture in the world; I love the Spanish attitude to drinking. Buy a drink, get a plate of food. I don't know if it was just limited to the bits of Andalusia I was in but in Córdoba in particular we seemed to be able to get whole meals free with a round of drinks. Order a couple of beers, get a plate of cured meat and some pastries. Order a couple more, get sandwiches and fried saltcod fritters. Order a cheap side salad too and you can have lunch and drinks for the cost of four beers.

In the South. Where i live this is NOT like this unfortunately.

Boss 1992
  • Boss 1992

aka gnad

• Members
  • Brazil
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

I´m gonna check Brazil next time I visit Europe.

I was expecting this post

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users