Photo

Sin City 2 - A Dame to Kill For

21 replies to this topic
krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:08 AM Edited by krashr, 20 May 2014 - 02:36 PM.

really looking forward to this, due out august 22nd

directed by- miller/rodriguez

written by- miller/rodriguez/monahan

based- primarily on the second book "a dame to kill for". will also include two scripts written specifically for the film, "the long bad night" and "the fat loss". plot points from "just another saturday night" will also appear. these stories occur both before and after the first film.

returning players-  hartigan / bruce willis
                           nancy / jessica alba
                           goldie-wendy / jaime king
                           marv / mickey rourke
                           gail / rosario dawson
                           senator roark / powers boothe

miho / jamie chung (previously played by devon aoki)
                           dwight / josh brolin (dwight with old face, previously played by clive owen)
                           bob / jeremy piven (previously played by michael madsen)

new players-  johnny / joseph gordon-levitt
                    ava lord / eva green
                    joey canelli / ray liotta
                    wallenquist / stacey keach
                    sally / juno temple
                    manute / dennis haysbert
                    damien lord / martin csokas
                    marcy / julia garner
                    mort / christopher meloni
                    waitress / lady gaga?? (possibly replacing brittany murphy as shellie?)

stockportlad86
  • stockportlad86

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm going to see this on the 24th August as it's a double bill at my cinema/theatre ect as I hope it will be AS good as the first one anyone else looking forward to this? 

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

I can't wait to see it, what's the other movie you're seeing?

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

only a few weeks away now! soo excited to see it! it would be awesome if they did a double bill with the first one

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

Trailer from Comic Con, looking very sexy, can't wait to watch :) Hopefully it isn't crap, even Lady Gaga is in this video.

• krashr likes this

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:42 AM Edited by krashr, 03 August 2014 - 03:52 AM.

yes yes yes yes yes! this may be the first thing i like that has lady gaga in it

stockportlad86
  • stockportlad86

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

I can't wait to see it, what's the other movie you're seeing?

obviously the first one  :lol:

samuels47385
  • samuels47385

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

I loved the first Sin City film. Will definitely be checking this out.

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Definitely looking forward to this; I was kind of too young to get too caught up in the first Sin City when it first came out, and arrived kind of late to that party. Grew to love the original (as my Media Studies teacher liked to point out), and the graphic novels, so I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of Rodriguez and Miller teaming up again.

I'm working solidly through opening weekend (which I think is the 29th, here) so I'm looking to go see it the next time I have a day off ...
  • krashr likes this

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

nearly a decade on and i still love the first one just as much as i did when i first saw it! the new(ish) trailer is giving me a good feeling about this one

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

Finally! Eva Green <3

More movies need to be like this.. my birthday is on the 30th but I may go and watch this acouple days before as a secret present. It would be my first trip to a theater in years. Got a sexy cast this go around and I'm curious about how much more carnage Rourke will do and I'm also curious about Brolin's character.. I've never followed the graphic novels, so I know nothing about the actual story.. but we'll see. Great post.

• Failure and krashr like this

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

if you have time i would highly recommend popping into a comic shop and having a flick through one of the novels, especially those that were incorporated into the first movie.. some of the comparisons from graphic novel to screen are astounding and, for me, enhances my love of the way the film was made, as it's very faithful

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

It's strange, Sin City is one of my all time favorite movies, but these trailers arn't selling me at all, if anything, they make me worried.

The trailers seem to show it off as some crazy balls to the wall Cheesy B-Movie in vein of films like Grindhouse and the new 300 movie, I mean just listen to the music, going from dubstep, to whatever the hell that is in the second trailer, and now compare those to the original trailer that drove everybody in:

It's like the new film is a completely different genre despite being (mostly for two stories, "A Dame To Kill For" and "Just Another Saturday Night") based on the same material, the original was Neo-Noir, dark, serious yet had enough Dark Comedy in it to get through, the trailers for the new content at least seem very, well, overly action and comedy with a lot of up itself writing that I HOPE makes more sense in context with the film (Yes, I know some characters in the first film were bad, Shelly "You damn fool"). I'm just hoping both Rodriguez and Miller haven't let the overly cheesy and B-Movie style they've been doing recently actually affect this as the first film with serious to an extent and wasn't aiming to be "LOL B-MOVIE".

I'm also hoping the new material is actually good, it's been years since Millers has done anything new for Sin City, so pushing new material straight into the film is risky as hell, but I guess it saves on them doing the psychotic episode that's known as "To Hell And Back".
  • krashr likes this

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

i choose to remain optimistic. 12 days to go...

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Can't wait to see this movie.
  • krashr likes this

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:44 AM

The presence of Juno Temple in the cast dictates that I must see this movie.
  • krashr likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Watched it last night, nowhere near as good as the first. Visually, it's good, but Nancy's story was just boring for the most part and actually ruins the timeline. Johnny's story was actually good and the cameo from Christopher Lloyd was very enjoyable.

Now, A Dame To Kill For is weirdly where it both goes to high points AND low points. The recast of Bob was pointless, it's a shame Michael Madsen couldn't come back, Jeremy Pivon weirdly does a bland job in the role, even his last line is hilarious "No" said in the most monotone least caring way. The recast of Miho was a weird one, she seemed the same but also oddly lacking the stance of the character in the first film. Of course the role of Manute couldn't be helped with Michael Clarke Duncans death, but his replacement is at least OK.

Now, spoilers, here for the rest of the story....
Spoiler

The Highlights for me were "Just Another Saturday Night" and Johnny's story, "A Dame To Kill For" is ruined by all the recasting and coming off as half assed whilst Nancy's Story just feels pointless and messes up the timeline.

On the plus side, this song is used very well:
  • krashr likes this

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

sadly, i agree with pretty much everything you've said.. and then some.

it takes a special kind of sequel that can reach back a decade and somehow make the original worse. rather than pick the whole thing apart by listing all the ways it fell short imo, i will hand the floor over to some classic kevin sorbo, who sums up my feelings in one word

7XGFYu9.jpg

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

It's a shame, it really is, Nancy's story is worthless and is the only Sin City story that f*cks up the timeline, why would Frank Miller do that?? The Hard Goodbye is the last timewsie, and when Marv kills Cardinal Roark, he mentions before that Senator Roark is still alive, now, in this story, after killing the Cardinal, is when he gets shot down and captured, and spends the rest of his time in prison until he's killed. This story also features Nancy with long hair and still as a dancer, in the scene when Marv drops Wendy off to her place to keep her safe.

NOW, Nancy's story is supposed to take place at the end of the timeline, set over a year AFTER The Hard Goodbye, BIG QUESTION, what the hell is Marv doing alive? Why wasn't Nancy depressed about Hartigan in other Sin City appearances? It's not exactly something that's come up over night, in the film, it's shown that she's been visiting Hartigans grave ever since he was buried, and only recently started drinking. It just feels so, what the hell, especially in contrast to...

Johnny's story, which can fit in anywhere in the timeline BEFORE The Hard Goodbye, because it doesn't rely on previous characters outside of showing what a bastard Roark is, it actually works well as being just another story in Sin City. Plus the poker games were done very well and tension wise was just, perfect.

So yeah, of course the issues with A Dame To Kill For, after all this wait, it's only getting half a good film really (Just Another Saturday Night // Johnny's Story), but I guess it proves the point Frank Miller can do BOTH in writing a new good Sin City story, ...and writing a bad one. :p

MotelGuy
  • MotelGuy

Sadistic Comedian

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

I MUST watch it. I just wish Lady Gaga wasn't in it...

krashr
  • krashr

flashr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM Edited by krashr, 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM.

she's only in it briefly, but still manages to invoke cringe

• Majestic81 likes this

MotelGuy
  • MotelGuy

Sadistic Comedian

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

she's only in it briefly, but still manages to invoke cringe

I guess it'll do...

• krashr likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic